Aol & yahoo oct 20 deadlines for 3rd party apps

Yahoo and AOL have announced disabling accessing them through 3rd party apps starting Oct 20 .
    I prefer Blackberry Hub to access but their directions on how safeguard my service are very ambiguous regarding which of 3 procedures Blackberry Hub might fall under and I FEAR MESSING UP MY GLORIOUS HUB & my EMAILS while exploring their directions. HOW TO NAVIGATE WITHOUT AFFECTING MY SEAMLESS BELOVED BLACKBERRY HUB PLEEEEEZE?
    (This is the AOL link they email me. But Yahoo's emails outline the same ambiguous procedures: https://help.aol.com/articles/allow-...sign-in#others
    10-08-20 04:38 PM
    Good reason to stop using either of these ambiguous services....

But the key is the "Learn how to generate third-party app passwords", but is HUB+ considered outdated? It does support 2FA so it might not be an issue, but if it is.... just generate the third-party app.
    10-09-20 07:29 AM
    The terminology used in the instructions is a tad confusing. Follow the Yahoo instructions to create an "app password" and select Android Mail as the "app" (there's no option for BlackBerry HUB/Inbox). You'll probably search, like I did, for where to enter this mysterious "app password". It actually just replaces the password you formerly used to access your Yahoo account under Manage Accounts->Yahoo->Incoming Mail Settings. Good luck.
    10-09-20 04:10 PM
    The terminology used in the instructions is a tad confusing. Follow the Yahoo instructions to create an "app password" and select Android Mail as the "app" (there's no option for BlackBerry HUB/Inbox). You'll probably search, like I did, for where to enter this mysterious "app password". It actually just replaces the password you formerly used to access your Yahoo account under Manage Accounts->Yahoo->Incoming Mail Settings. Good luck.
    This was incredibly helpful. It worked. I am getting my emails, but the sound alert is not working. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Update 10/19: I turned my phone off overnight, and in the morning when I turned it back on the sound alerts were once again working.
    Last edited by KitJackson67; 10-19-20 at 12:04 PM.
    10-18-20 10:43 PM
    Thanks for the advice, but this unfortunately does not work for me. It only will accept my "old" Yahoo account password in the Hub, not the new one generated by Yahoo, which gives the error message: "An error occurred during your account setup. DETAILS: Can't connect to server".
    I have followed the instructions above.
    10-19-20 04:23 AM
    Thanks for the advice, but this unfortunately does not work for me. It only will accept my "old" Yahoo account password in the Hub, not the new one generated by Yahoo, which gives the error message: "An error occurred during your account setup. DETAILS: Can't connect to server".
    I have followed the instructions above.
    Did you enter the Yahoo generated password with or without the spaces? At first, I entered the password with spaces, but an error message popped up while I was typing so I stopped using the spaces between parts of the password. Hope this helps, and if not, I hope someone can else can help you.
    10-19-20 12:06 PM
    This was incredibly helpful. It worked. I am getting my emails, but the sound alert is not working. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thank you to anyone who can help.

Update 10/19: I turned my phone off overnight, and in the morning when I turned it back on the sound alerts were once again working.
    Do you also access Yahoo mail on a computer? If so are there now 2 different passwords? I have a couple of Yahoo accounts I have had for a long time that I need to access in both locations.
    10-19-20 02:22 PM
    Yes. The password that I use on my computer has not changed. I did have to enter a new password to use Yahoo mail on the blackberry. You do have to set up a new app password for each Yahoo account. I hope that answers your question, even if it was not the answer you hoped for.
    10-19-20 03:33 PM
    Okay.......so eventually I got it to work on Key2LE by selecting android mail and leaving out the spaces in the randomly generated password rather than doing cut and paste. But when I did the same exercise on my Key2 it tells me the password is wrong and needs updating! Arghhhh! Anyone else come across the same issue? Is the answer to input the same randomly generated password in on both devices? Will it even let you do that?
    10-25-20 05:25 AM
    Okay.......so eventually I got it to work on Key2LE by selecting android mail and leaving out the spaces in the randomly generated password rather than doing cut and paste. But when I did the same exercise on my Key2 it tells me the password is wrong and needs updating! Arghhhh! Anyone else come across the same issue? Is the answer to input the same randomly generated password in on both devices? Will it even let you do that?
    With both services AOL, Yahoo, as well as Gmail and Outlook, I’d use their respective respective proprietary apps. I believe each of the app email clients will allow you to add the other email addresses if you don’t want separate email app clients.
    10-25-20 06:58 AM
    With both services AOL, Yahoo, as well as Gmail and Outlook, I’d use their respective respective proprietary apps. I believe each of the app email clients will allow you to add the other email addresses if you don’t want separate email app clients.
    Are you suggesting the OP move away from hub for all their email accounts?
    10-25-20 07:32 AM
    Are you suggesting the OP move away from hub for all their email accounts?
    Only if that helps solve the login problems or if OP wants all the email in fewer places. For the free mail accounts, the hub/inbox has experienced setup and compatibility issues. This started with BB10 and now seems to be happening on BBAndroid recently.

My use of Android/iOS predates my use of BBAndroid hardware. When I used BBOS, I had everything in the email inbox. For my business and personal use, I have four domains that I own. When I switched to BB10, all my free mail accounts went to Android/iOS proprietary app email clients. With BBAndroid, I kept my domains on Hub and Inbox but all the free mail accounts still on their respective proprietary app email clients.

It’s just that free mail providers don’t always play nicely outside their own client app. Everyone complains about poor security and clunkiness of AOL or even more Yahoo, but their own apps have far less problems.
    10-25-20 07:59 AM
    Only if that helps solve the login problems or if OP wants all the email in fewer places....
    Like the OP, I have no desire to use individual account service client apps for email. From a consolidated email inbox/outbox client app perspective, I have never looked back since using what was first made available on the Playbook. Like the OP, I hope hub/in-box will be workable still for some time to come.
    10-25-20 10:31 AM
    Like the OP, I have no desire to use individual account service client apps for email. From a consolidated email inbox/outbox client app perspective, I have never looked back since using what was first made available on the Playbook. Like the OP, I hope hub/in-box will be workable still for some time to come.
    I get that but AOL email and Yahoo email don’t always play nicely for whatever reason on their own let alone with the hub/inbox so my original comment was just about if unsuccessful. I don’t use it, but I’ve read here about using the free mail apps for hub alternative since most of the email brands support each other now. Hopefully BBAndroid remains supported.

I’ve spent the last four months trying a yahoo address on BB10 Z3 unsuccessfully. I’ve had no problems setting up a different yahoo email address but zero success with the intended yahoo email address. The culprit seems to be somewhere in 2FA process for third parties client setup.
    10-25-20 01:05 PM
    I'll keep using hub/in-box as long as I can. Unfortunately, I don't have any help to provide for Yahoo and AOL problems. Fortunately, hub/in-box still work fine for me for Hotmail, Outlook, Gmail and several other separate email service prodivers, using Samsung A21 on Android10. Work fine still also on my Z10. Don't give up OP. I agree with you for your desire to keep using hub/in-box.
    Last edited by spARTacus; 10-25-20 at 01:44 PM. Reason: AutoCorrect Spelling
    10-25-20 01:42 PM
    I'll keep using hub/in-box as long as I can. Unfortunately, I don't have any help to provide for Yahoo and AOL problems. Fortunately, hub/in-box still work fine for me for Hotmail, Outlook, Gmail and several other separate email service prodivers, using Samsung A21 on Android10. Work fine still also on my Z10. Don't give up OP. I agree with you for your desire to keep using hub/in-box.
    When's the last time you updated your BB10 hub Yahoo login ?

Posted via CB10
    10-25-20 03:58 PM
    When's the last time you updated your BB10 hub Yahoo login ?

Posted via CB10
    Never. Like I said, I unfortunately can't help for Yahoo and AOL problems, but hub/in-box works great for me for all other accounts.
    10-25-20 04:58 PM
    Could we please bring this back to finding a solution for those of us using two Android Blackberries with Yahoo mail accounts who are trying to find a way to make Hub, which is unequalled anywhere, get round this nightmare situation?
    Jake2826 likes this.
    10-25-20 06:50 PM
    Could we please bring this back to finding a solution for those of us using two Android Blackberries with Yahoo mail accounts who are trying to find a way to make Hub, which is unequalled anywhere, get round this nightmare situation?
    It appears to be on the Yahoo side. If you don’t want the Yahoo app, contact yahoo customer service.
    10-25-20 07:03 PM
    I am guessing all the advice at this other thread has been tried already?

Does it seem to be working for some, just not for all?

/blackberry-key2-f472/can-t-reply-forward-yahoo-email-hub-1187205/
    10-25-20 08:26 PM
    CHECK SMTP SETTINGS ON AOL. I had the same problem trying to add AOL account to my Key2. I followed the instructions above (thank you!) but kept getting the message my account couldn't be verified with options to Update Settings and Update Password. I tried a few new AOL generated passwords before realizing the problem was my settings. For some reason, the SMTP address was smtp.mail.yahoo.com. I changed it to smtp.aol.com and voila! My AOL account was added to my beloved Hub and works perfectly! All is once again right in the world.
    11-19-20 12:11 PM
    An app password is only good for a single device - you need to generate another PW for each device and possibly for each account on each device.
    11-19-20 05:21 PM