Wondering how possible would it be for BlackBerry to build an in-house root firewall for android devices?
    I'd use it to restrict internet access to certain apps that certainly shouldn't need it. What do you guys think? Cheers!

When we talk about security, I think third party apps should be off the table.
    chetmanley likes this.
    09-25-17 08:07 PM
    alot more complexity to support a niche number of users and BB gets a support headache. Better to just upgrade as many phones to the latest OS version Android O and let users manage permissions from there.
    09-25-17 09:33 PM
    Wondering how possible would it be for BlackBerry to build an in-house root firewall for android devices?
    I'd use it to restrict internet access to certain apps that certainly shouldn't need it. What do you guys think? Cheers!

Huh? Doesn’t android now offer granular permissions? So you can decide if an app is allowed to access the internet or not
    09-25-17 09:44 PM
    Huh? Doesn’t android now offer granular permissions? So you can decide if an app is allowed to access the internet or not
    I don't remember Android asking for permission to access internet, but other services like GPS, contacts, calls...
    Moreover BlackBerry is not upgrading Priv nor Dteks to Nougat (Dteks still could be upgraded as I didn't hear a word from BlackBerry about Nougat on them), so those don't have such granular permissions and any additional security measures will be welcome coming from BlackBerry or secure third parties.
    09-26-17 12:28 AM
    Nope. We can only decide which apps may use internet data (not wifi) while these apps run in the background. That's all we have control over.
    09-26-17 05:54 AM
    Nope. We can only decide which apps may use internet data (not wifi) while these apps run in the background. That's all we have control over.
    Ok first, I don’t really understand the privacy issue that arise from an app needing to access the internet.

Normally, you’ll want to prevent an app to access something like your pictures or your contacts.

Then Android does have granular permissions that lets you customize what an app has access to and what it doesn’t. It will ask for permission the first time it needs it.
    09-26-17 06:22 AM

set up a vpn server, connect with your Keyone, configure everything on the vpn server side?
    09-26-17 06:40 AM
    Ok first, I don’t really understand the privacy issue that arise from an app needing to access the internet.

Normally, you’ll want to prevent an app to access something like your pictures or your contacts.
    Data is transferred back and forth between your device and their (app's) servers. With a root firewall, even if they know what data they'll want to get from your device they won't be able to send it to their servers, and to stock it, since your firewall will block the outbound internet traffic. At least that's how I understand it.

set up a vpn server, connect with your Keyone, configure everything on the vpn server side?
    If you here mean a third party vpn app, then this option is not for me. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    09-26-17 06:54 AM
    Data is transferred back and forth between your device and their (app's) servers. With a root firewall, even if they know what data they'll want to get from your device they won't be able to send it to their servers, and to stock it, since your firewall will block the outbound internet traffic. At least that's how I understand it.

If you here mean a third party vpn app, then this option is not for me. But thanks for the suggestion anyway.
    Yeah but data is not the privacy concert... it’s what’s in the data that is important.

That’s why there is granular permissions now so you can control what is in the data.
    09-26-17 07:30 AM
    You can develop your own android client, if you want to be 100% sure. Or you can use OpenVPN's connect which is open source and available on github, along with the source code for the server implementation.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-26-17 07:48 AM
    You can develop your own android client, if you want to be 100% sure.
    A BlackBerry app would feel secure enough I guess.
    10-11-17 03:29 PM
    One more reason to WHY we need a trusted Blackberry root Firewall.
    Internet traffic control is very important, if data can't be downloaded from our devices - no one will bother to even install spying software.

https://latesthackingnews.com/2017/1...ying-software/
    10-13-17 10:29 AM
    if data can't be downloaded from our devices - no one will bother to even install spying software.
    Because people always know which app is "spying" and thus set their firewalls accordingly? Yeah, right.

Maybe don't download spying apps in the first place.

Also you might want to read this:

https://www.android.com/play-protect/
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    10-13-17 02:10 PM
    Because people always know which app is "spying" and thus set their firewalls accordingly? Yeah, right.

Maybe don't download spying apps in the first place.

Also you might want to read this:

https://www.android.com/play-protect/
    Well, if you're fine with an app as it is (alarm, calculator... etc.) then you could restrict its internet access right away. Or an app that hasn't had updates for years, but yet it works perfectly offline, then you could restrict its internet access and be sure that even if at some point they decide to pull some data from the ones using their software - they won't be able to. There are dozens of other "ways" you could secure your device with a trusted Firewall. The control switch is literally in your hands. EVERYTHING HAPPENS THROUGH THE INTERNET.

I turned off play protect and won't turn it on for the next 80 years or so. I've limited all the google apps in my phone because I don't fully trust it, but I do trust BB. So yes , I chose the KeyOne because I believe BB can do more to improve privacy and security (not the kind of things they've done already, I look forward to more convincing actions from their side.).
    10-14-17 07:03 AM