Hey
    I just wanted to know if the K1 had any app or software that was similar to BlackBerry blend from BlackBerry 10.
    I don't mind if it's a native BlackBerry App built into the phone or if it's a Google Play Store app.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    05-21-17 07:54 AM
    Hey
    I just wanted to know if the K1 had any app or software that was similar to BlackBerry blend from BlackBerry 10.
    I don't mind if it's a native BlackBerry App built into the phone or if it's a Google Play Store app.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    There's a thread on someone who is working on creating a Blend-like app. It is in beta form but there's a link to it.

But BB has not created a new version of Blend for their Android phones. And most 3rd party apps come up short from what I've read.
    05-21-17 09:04 AM
    How about let's get a desktop client going first, then worry about Blend-like functionality.
    05-21-17 09:11 AM
    How about let's get a desktop client going first, then worry about Blend-like functionality.
    Unfortunately, I don't expect either!
    Adam Frix likes this.
    05-21-17 04:59 PM
    Unfortunately, I don't expect either!
    Exactly. They're too busy making useless other apps that nobody wants instead of giving us something we'd all want.
    05-21-17 06:13 PM
    Exactly. They're too busy making useless other apps that nobody wants instead of giving us something we'd all want.
    I want Blend but a backup utility would be really appreciated.
    05-21-17 07:37 PM
    That would be too easy and useful for us. So you can rule that out too. But I'm sure they're working on an improved flashlight app though. Or maybe variant of the fart app. You know, something professionals really need!
    05-21-17 07:49 PM
    That would be too easy and useful for us. So you can rule that out too. But I'm sure they're working on an improved flashlight app though. Or maybe variant of the fart app. You know, something professionals really need!
    This made me LOL a little.
    05-21-17 08:11 PM
    I don't think BB has worked on those apps although the Flashlight in Quick Settings has been helpful. They do work on the Hub and Dtek and the keyboard apps.

I will admit - stickers seem a bit off-base for Pros.
    05-21-17 08:35 PM
    Agreed.
    05-21-17 09:07 PM
    If this is your first experience with Android you'll see very quickly that you don't actually need to back up an android phone. Everything is essentially cloud based.

Use google's suite of calendar and contacts and they are cloud synced in real time.
    Google will back up your settings and apps in real time as well.
    Gmail will store your email forever. If you use exchange those are all backed up automatically with MS.

Photos there are a number of different cloud based storage solutions like dropbox, google photos, MS OneDrive that will upload your photos / videos in real time or if data is a concern they'll wait until you get in wifi.

For text messaging if you want to use your computer use MightyText, it's amazing and has a chrome extension for desktop that will give you pop up alerts when a new text comes in. The pro version will also back up your text messages in the cloud. If you switch phones or need to do a factory reset it will download all your messages back to the phone.

Lose / reset / switch phones and you are back up and running in short time.
    05-21-17 09:23 PM
    If this is your first experience with Android you'll see very quickly that you don't actually need to back up an android phone. Everything is essentially cloud based.

Use google's suite of calendar and contacts and they are cloud synced in real time.
    Google will back up your settings and apps in real time as well.
    Gmail will store your email forever. If you use exchange those are all backed up automatically with MS.

Photos there are a number of different cloud based storage solutions like dropbox, google photos, MS OneDrive that will upload your photos / videos in real time or if data is a concern they'll wait until you get in wifi.

For text messaging if you want to use your computer use MightyText, it's amazing and has a chrome extension for desktop that will give you pop up alerts when a new text comes in. The pro version will also back up your text messages in the cloud. If you switch phones or need to do a factory reset it will download all your messages back to the phone.

Lose / reset / switch phones and you are back up and running in short time.
    That's the problem..cloud based and everything sent/stored by Google. I'm sure the majority of people on this thread don't want that. They want to be able to back-up onto their own pc or location non cloud based.

Also Blend had capability to handle BBM. Nothing else out there can do that.
    FF22 and Willeonabe like this.
    05-21-17 09:48 PM
    Not everything.

I can reset my LG V10 and let Google restore it; it does so over wifi, which takes time, and when it's finished I still have a decent amount of work to do getting many customizations in place. Passwords and the like, for example, are not restored. Nor are text messages. Yes, I can and do use a third party utility for text messages; that's not the point. My point is, Google does not back up everything in the cloud, and SMS is a perfect example. Many other items also don't get backed up fully.

But if I back up my V10 using LG's utility and then wipe it, I can restore it from that backup in no time. It's a fast USB connection, AND it restores EVERYTHING.

A desktop utility should come with the K1. That it doesn't, is very telling. Imagine a software company not making a basic piece of software.
    05-21-17 11:05 PM
    That's the problem..cloud based and everything sent/stored by Google. I'm sure the majority of people on this thread don't want that. They want to be able to back-up onto their own pc or location non cloud based.
    ^^^^This exactly. I don't want to use any cloud system. I plan to turn off most Google apps and use Blackberry apps instead.

Any cloud things I do are only work related and I use Microsoft 365.
    Willeonabe likes this.
    05-22-17 07:39 AM
    So without Blend, it there no Computer Console then!?! or how do you access your mail, calendar and files from your PC or Mac? I just pre-order the K1 to upgrade/refresh my Passport - but may send it back if no Blend or Console Alternative available. I've sold the K1 to myself as a highly BB Customised Android Phone, but maybe it is just an Android Phone with a handful of BB Apps - which I hope includes BB HUB, email, calendar, file management and Blend.....
    05-24-17 03:25 AM
    It's an Android phone with a handful of BB apps.
    05-24-17 04:13 AM
    Oh dear!! - nice phone though - shame you can't install BB10.3 on top......that would be a powerhorse...but then that would just be a Passport in an iPhone/Samsung/nePhone body.......doh! Nice One, K1....maybe this is goodbye to BB ;-(
    05-24-17 05:37 AM
    Since the k1 is all...Googley, isn't the desktop the apps we use anyway? Like Gmail and Google calendar? So wouldn't a separate client be redundant since the phone and the Googleverse syc?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 05:52 AM
    Not sure if it's for Samsung phones only, but if not try SideSync it's like everything Blend could have been.
    05-24-17 06:04 AM
    What about apps and data or progress in them?

Posted via CB10
    05-24-17 06:33 AM
    Yah, really like Link's ability to practically clone a phone when you backup and restore to another BB10...

So what are good ways to transfer SMS/MMS from BB10 to Android? Device transfer claims to do it, but just tried for my mother's phone, I switcher her from a Z10 to a Moto G5 Plus and it acted as if it transferred them, but nothing is there...

I definitely want to keep my messages when I switch over to the KEYone from my Classic.

And having a Blend-like app would be nice too, but I agree the desktop client to back-up and restore the phone is more important.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    05-24-17 07:10 AM
    Nothing can replace proper local desktop device managing client.
    Adam Frix and Willeonabe like this.
    05-24-17 07:27 AM
    Teamviewer or Lenovo Link
    05-24-17 07:36 AM
    Well all fine as a personal phone...in which case just buy an iPhone.... but as work phone and office device; aka the Passport; dealing with enterprise systems, firewalls, data management, VPN etc can't see how an Android Phone can manage it - Blend works perfectly as a lens to all these things ....
    05-24-17 07:50 AM
    ....and since when was Blend a back-up or device data swapping tool?!? - Maybe SideSync is thee app in question - I guess if it was developed for Samsung, an Android Phone, someone has probably hacked it and made it available through some dodgy means for the rest of the Android community...
    05-24-17 08:00 AM
32 12