I want to buy a phone with a PKB and was wondering which of these gives the best 'bang for your buck'?
    I know the K1 is supposed to be a lot better in terms of both build and performance, but considering that I can get the priv for 260$ and the k1 costs 520$, is it really worth paying double the price?

Also, how long do you think I'll have to wait for a k1 price drop?
    Deckerp2 and Qorax like this.
    11-12-17 03:48 AM
    Priv is not getting any updates rather than security and third party apps so it lifespan is getting smaller and the KEYone is not even 9 months old yet so may still be awhile before a significant price drop happens and it may not happen until BlackBerry Mobile release a sequel to replace the KEYone
    Nath Gunawardena and Qorax like this.
    11-12-17 08:16 AM
    I want to buy a phone with a PKB and was wondering which of these gives the best 'bang for your buck'?
    I know the K1 is supposed to be a lot better in terms of both build and performance, but considering that I can get the priv for 260$ and the k1 costs 520$, is it really worth paying double the price?

As you said...K1 is supposed to be better than Priv, but it isn't.

Late Priv Units are reliable and have a far better screen than K1.
    The best point of the Priv hardware is coverage reception, also better than K1.

Battery and keyboard are better in the K1 but appart from that...

Get a NEW Priv.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 09:07 AM
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is flat out superior to the Priv in every way apart from the larger screen. No comparison.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is zippier, has a MUCH nicer keyboard, has a better camera, has Nougat, has another 2 years (minimum) of updates coming, has a fingerprint sensor, has almost double the battery life, etc, etc.

I've had no issues personally with reception.

The Priv is 2 years old, with support coming to a close soon. With this in mind, remember that regular software patches are ESSENTIAL to a secure device.
    Nath Gunawardena and tnewton3 like this.
    11-12-17 09:15 AM
    As you said...K1 is supposed to be better than Priv, but it isn't.

Late Priv Units are reliable and have a far better screen than K1.
    The best point of the Priv hardware is coverage reception, also better than K1.

Battery and keyboard are better in the K1 but appart from that...

Get a NEW Priv.
    Thanks a lot, I also thought the priv would be a better option, especially since the marshmallow update seems to have fixed the battery and heating issues etc.

Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly should I look for in a 'NEW' priv? How would I know if the one I'm getting is part of the 'new' stock? Any distinct differences in later issues?
    11-12-17 09:16 AM
    I realize it is better, but is it worth paying twice the price?
    11-12-17 09:18 AM
    The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is flat out superior to the Priv in every way apart from the larger screen. No comparison.

The KEYᵒⁿᵉ is zippier, has a MUCH nicer keyboard, has a better camera, has Nougat, has another 2 years (minimum) of updates coming, has a fingerprint sensor, has almost double the battery life, etc, etc.

The Priv is 2 years old, with support coming to a close soon. With this in mind, remember that regular software patches are ESSENTIAL to a secure device.
    This^^^

But it sounds like you are trying to save some money so I would suggest you buy the PRIV. I owned the PRIV since release on Verizon and bought the CDMA KEYᵒⁿᵉ when available in the states. I would never want to switch back, I run the KEYᵒⁿᵉ through its paces and the PRIV can't even begin to keep up.

KEYᵒⁿᵉ is far superior but let us know which direction you end up going.
    11-12-17 09:36 AM

Do not waste your time with the Priv. It's is a horrible device. Battery life is sub par and the keyboard is garbage. Get the keyone
    11-12-17 09:49 AM
    This^^^

But it sounds like you are trying to save some money so I would suggest you buy the PRIV. I owned the PRIV since release on Verizon and bought the CDMA KEYᵒⁿᵉ when available in the states. I would never want to switch back, I run the KEYᵒⁿᵉ through its paces and the PRIV can't even begin to keep up.

KEYᵒⁿᵉ is far superior but let us know which direction you end up going.
    Thanks for the advice. Right now I am leaning towards the Priv. I'm a student on a budget, from a third world country, so I think that will be my best option.
    I don't run a lot of demanding apps; mostly just web browsing, typing out notes, emails (hence the need for a PKB) and basically keeping track of my uni work with a little social media on the side. But I do use google maps and strava quite a lot. Read some bad reviews regarding google map usage on the Priv, how bad is it?

Apart from that, my only concern is the battery life and durability. Heard the priv creaks a lot, and a slider is usually less durable by nature right?
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 09:51 AM

+1
    11-12-17 09:54 AM
    Thanks for the advice. Right now I am leaning towards the Priv. I'm a student on a budget, from a third world country, so I think that will be my best option.
    I don't run a lot of demanding apps; mostly just web browsing, typing out notes, emails (hence the need for a PKB) and basically keeping track of my uni work with a little social media on the side. But I do use google maps and strava quite a lot. Read some bad reviews regarding google map usage on the Priv, how bad is it?

Apart from that, my only concern is the battery life and durability. Heard the priv creaks a lot, and a slider is usually less durable by nature right?
    It does creak alot
    Nath Gunawardena likes this.
    11-12-17 09:55 AM
    The next question to ask yourself is, How long do you plan on holding on to the new phone. As stated the Priv is going on Two years old.
    11-12-17 09:58 AM
    if you use your PRIV for navigation like myself, you will be sorry. The number one problem with the PRIV is its snapdragon 808....the thing heats up with mild usage and renders recharge useless. Every phone has a heat safety in it...if your phone is too hot, it won't accept a charge. If your using your Nav in a big city with google maps or Waze....good luck with your battery life. This was the deal breaker for me and my PRIV. Now I'm on the K1...much better efficiency and battery life and I can charge it while nav is running.
    11-12-17 09:59 AM
    On the bright side you can put it in a case (as most will do anyway) and the creaking is eliminated.
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 09:59 AM
    if you use your PRIV for navigation like myself, you will be sorry. The number one problem with the PRIV is its snapdragon 808....the thing heats up with mild usage and renders recharge useless. Every phone has a heat safety in it...if your phone is too hot, it won't accept a charge. If your using your Nav in a big city with google maps or Waze....good luck with your battery life. This was the deal breaker for me and my PRIV. Now I'm on the K1...much better efficiency and battery life and I can charge it while nav is running.
    Exactly..i got the priv ..free upgrade big mistake I made..now I have the keyone best decision I ever made
    11-12-17 10:03 AM
    ...and a slider is usually less durable by nature right?
    Right.

However, given your predicament the Priv is not a bad buy at all. It'll do all your tasks and in fact, imo, it looks classier than the K1. By the time it packs up you'll be ready (be able) to afford another new device. I was in your shoes as well, many were.
    11-12-17 10:03 AM
    That's really disappointing. I might have to reconsider my choice, since I cycle a lot and use navigation apps quite often.
    Did you continue to have this problem after the marshmallow update?
    Thanks for the info. One of the things I really needed to know
    11-12-17 10:05 AM
    The next question to ask yourself is, How long do you plan on holding on to the new phone. As stated the Priv is going on Two years old.
    Probably another two years or so...
    11-12-17 10:07 AM
    Right.

However, given your predicament the Priv is not a bad buy at all. It'll do all your tasks and in fact, imo, it looks classier than the K1. By the time it packs up you'll be ready (be able) to afford another new device. I was in your shoes as well, many were.
    Yeah, I plan to keep this for another two years or so, at least till I graduate. I think a case would solve most of the durability issues. Really wish the passport had better app support. Right now, these two are my only options since i NEED a physical keyboard
    Qorax likes this.
    11-12-17 10:11 AM
    As mentioned i think the only thing that the Priv has over the k1 is the screen size. Everything else about the k1 is superior IMO. Both have their hardware faults so I dont think you are better off either way in that regard. Personally I dont use the money as a factor because I want the better product.
    bluesqueen23 likes this.
    11-12-17 10:13 AM

I used Strava a lot without issues but maps was my biggest gripe. If you can be patient while using it you MIGHT be okay with it. If you are pulling up maps while on the go it would often lag to the point of being useless. With black Friday being so close you might want to wait to see if the KEYᵒⁿᵉ drops $100 off the purchase price. You will be much happier with the KEYᵒⁿᵉ.

The PRIV does creak quite a bit, durability is what it is, I wouldn't buy any device without additional insurance. If you buy new it will have a 1 year manufacturer warranty on it. Battery on the PRIV never lasted me a full day, I consider myself a heavy user though. My KEYᵒⁿᵉ lasts a day but I'm not getting 1.5 days like some are claiming. If you buy the PRIV do yourself a favor and buy a RAVPower quick charge battery pack. Awesome for traveling and just great for throwing some extra juice into your PRIV mid day.

Hope I answered all your questions. Cheers.
    11-12-17 10:22 AM
    That's really disappointing. I might have to reconsider my choice, since I cycle a lot and use navigation apps quite often.
    Did you continue to have this problem after the marshmallow update?
    Thanks for the info. One of the things I really needed to know

I still have my priv and the heat issue continues to be a problem even after all updates. If your looking for a better price for the keyone...i would just hold off. The silver will likely go on sale for black Friday or cyber Monday. Use the website camel camel camel and track amazon pricing.....have it send you an email if it hits your desired price.
    11-12-17 11:15 AM
    Get the KEYone. buying the PRIV will leave you disappointed. sure the screen is more nice, but honestly apart from the screen the PRIV is not worth your money. Built quality is not on the level we come to expect from BlackBerry. í have the PRIV for a year now and it has only given me headache. Getting a BlackBerry KEYone Black Edition soon
    11-12-17 12:07 PM
    I still have my priv and the heat issue continues to be a problem even after all updates. If your looking for a better price for the keyone...i would just hold off. The silver will likely go on sale for black Friday or cyber Monday. Use the website camel camel camel and track amazon pricing.....have it send you an email if it hits your desired price.
    Yup I got my keyone for 550 off ebay
    11-12-17 12:34 PM
    Just beware that the phone reception is quite worse in weaker areas due to an inferior antenna.
    11-12-17 12:37 PM
54 123