I'm currently trying Firefox. Is there anything better to use?
    06-04-17 07:17 PM
    Opera also naked browser is excellent
    06-04-17 07:24 PM
    I'm currently trying Firefox. Is there anything better to use?
    Anything better? Every browser is better than Firefox for Android, unless it had improved drastically lately.

Opera is a very good choice. Opera Mini, too. Chrome itself isn't bad either.

There are many other nice browsers, but there is still the question of safety. Check out Dolphin Browser, Puffin Browser, Boat Browser (tablet version is better on phone, too), but I don't know if these are safe.
    06-04-17 07:46 PM
    You want privacy use fire.onion or orfox
    06-04-17 07:51 PM
    Anything better? Every browser is better than Firefox for Android, unless it had improved drastically lately.

There are many other nice browsers, but there is still the question of safety. Check out Dolphin Browser, Puffin Browser, Boat Browser (tablet version is better on phone, too), but I don't know if these are safe.
    I believe someone here at crackberry developers keyboard browser which includes keyboard shortcuts. I haven't tried myself but I would check out that thread.
    06-04-17 07:51 PM
    I prefer Chrome. I've enabled reader mode and moved the url bar to the bottom.
    06-04-17 07:56 PM
    I've been using Chrome for the past several years now. If you're tied into the Google system (e.g. Gmail, contacts, calendar, etc.), then there's nothing better. If this is your first Android phone, then it's a good time to get started.
    06-04-17 07:56 PM

Thanks. Just installed Opera and I like it.
    06-04-17 08:18 PM
    If you're tied into the Google system (e.g. Gmail, contacts, calendar, etc.), then there's nothing better.
    There is if you want additional features. With Firefox I can block tracking (at least some of it), block ads, and even block those annoying cookie warnings.
    anon(10250369) likes this.
    06-04-17 08:30 PM
    There is if you want additional features. With Firefox I can block tracking (at least some of it), block ads, and even block those annoying cookie warnings.
    Yeah, it's always a tradeoff between the convenience features and data privacy. Each informed user has to decide.
    06-04-17 08:35 PM
    Yeah, it's always a tradeoff between the convenience features and data privacy. Each informed user has to decide.
    I'm not sure I fully agree in this case.
    Chrome isn't really more convenient (unless you happen to be using Chrome on another device and want to sync).
    Certainly the features I just listed could be implemented in Chrome without effecting convenience.

Last I really thought about it, I did find Firefox for Android to be quite slow. I think it is gradually getting better. Hopefully they will match Chrome someday.
    06-04-17 08:42 PM
    Where are those settings
    06-04-17 08:46 PM
    I'm not sure I fully agree in this case.
    Chrome isn't really more convenient (unless you happen to be using Chrome on another device and want to sync).
    Certainly the features I just listed could be implemented in Chrome without effecting convenience.

Last I really thought about it, I did find Firefox for Android to be quite slow. I think it is gradually getting better. Hopefully they will match Chrome someday.
    For me, the benefit is having the data in Google's cloud, which can be accessed through the web or apps on any platform. It doesn't matter if I use mac or pc, iOS or Android. I like chrome because it has tight integration with Google software and helps me keep everything consistent between devices. For just web browsing, I don't have much preference since all browsers are pretty much the same. You only notice if one has rare compatibility issues or runs poorly on a particular platform.
    06-04-17 08:53 PM
    For me, the benefit is having the data in Google's cloud, which can be accessed through the web or apps on any platform. It doesn't matter if I use mac or pc, iOS or Android. I like chrome because it has tight integration with Google software and helps me keep everything consistent between devices. For just web browsing, I don't have much preference since all browsers are pretty much the same. You only notice if one has rare compatibility issues or runs poorly on a particular platform.
    I'm curious. Which type of data sharing is it that you most like?
    I was thinking about bookmark/history sync between computers, which Firefox can do just fine.
    Now I think about it some more, I seem to recall that Google would actually do some more interesting stuff like customize Google News based on browser history.
    06-04-17 08:58 PM
    Where are those settings
    Which setting would you like to know about?
    06-04-17 08:58 PM
    Chrome, since it syncs with desktop Chrome.
    06-04-17 09:00 PM
    Sorry, this setting where I don't see them in chrome
    06-04-17 09:01 PM
    You can move the url bar to the bottom by entering: chrome://flags/#enable-chrome-home
    It is an experimental feature, so it may still have some problems.
    06-04-17 09:05 PM
    They are hidden in the chrome://flags page. Chrome Home is the setting to put the address bar on the bottom and Reader Mode Triggering is how you adjust reader mode (Set it to Always to have it prompt you on any page to make it mobile friendly).

That said, at least for me, having the address bar on the bottom seems to prevent the reader mode option from appearing on a page.
    06-04-17 09:17 PM
    I'm curious. Which type of data sharing is it that you most like?
    I was thinking about bookmark/history sync between computers, which Firefox can do just fine.
    Now I think about it some more, I seem to recall that Google would actually do some more interesting stuff like customize Google News based on browser history.
    That's true, the most useful basics like saved bookmarks and passwords are available on other systems as well. Usually, I put the most strict privacy settings available on everything I use, but only recently started exploring Google Assistant and such. I can't give an opinion on longterm value versus the data you have to share, but it has been immediately useful for voice commands to send messages, make calls, search, and get weather reports.

The more we discuss, I suppose it is selecting Google as your one-stop shop for all these services that I'm arguing for rather than chrome itself. You can choose Apple or Microsoft too, but Google wins for compatibility since the others try too hard to promote their incompatible platforms at the expense of universal functionality. I don't suggest Google is perfect or the best in every category, but overall it is the best for me.
    06-04-17 09:27 PM
    They are hidden in the chrome://flags page. Chrome Home is the setting to put the address bar on the bottom and Reader Mode Triggering is how you adjust reader mode (Set it to Always to have it prompt you on any page to make it mobile friendly).

That said, at least for me, having the address bar on the bottom seems to prevent the reader mode option from appearing on a page.
    Use the DEV version of Chrome. Everything works nicely now.
    Devhux likes this.
    06-04-17 09:30 PM
    If you are coming from BB10, check out "Keyboard Browser". It uses android webview so browser is basically just as good as chrome.

Has lots of good keyboard shortcuts!

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...bbrowser&hl=en

 C L A S S I C
    06-04-17 11:46 PM
    I use Firefox. It has many add ons you can download such as ad blocker and an add on that allows you to play YouTube videos while your phone screen is off. You can customize the theme and background wallpapers of the browser, allow websites to not track you or accept cookies, etc. Overall I find Firefox very reliable and fast.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    06-05-17 12:23 AM
    I use Brave. It blocks all ads & trackers, has automatic HTTPS upgrades, and even has fingerprinting protection. And it looks and functions just like Chrome!
    anon(10250369) and kbz1960 like this.
    06-05-17 01:20 AM
    How did you do that?
    06-05-17 02:02 AM
40 12