I am waiting for a Titan and will report on it for us here. What SIM can I get to have a phone number to hook up Whatsapp and Duo needing that to start. I intend it to be a 100% WiFi device thereafter and will keep it in Airplane Mode. When I travel, I will add a local SIM. I see things like FreedomPOP and Ting. Pay as you Go SIMs minutes expire leaving you sunk. Any advice?
    10-30-19 01:35 PM
    Think first you'll need to see how easy it is to get the thing activated on different networks.... some of the MVNO's don't always allow the widest range of devices.
    10-30-19 02:04 PM
    I am waiting for a Titan and will report on it for us here. What SIM can I get to have a phone number to hook up Whatsapp and Duo needing that to start. I intend it to be a 100% WiFi device thereafter and will keep it in Airplane Mode. When I travel, I will add a local SIM. I see things like FreedomPOP and Ting. Pay as you Go SIMs minutes expire leaving you sunk. Any advice?
    I have apps like TextNow, Pinger and Textfree which just require use and the acceptance of ads to be used free. No SIM required and pick numbers in your area code.
    10-30-19 03:26 PM
    what about using my Google Voice number... will it work for WhatsApp and Duo? I've never paid a dime for that service.
    10-30-19 05:31 PM
    redpocket has a $50 a year plan with some monthly data sms and calls
    10-30-19 05:32 PM
    I'd buy Mint SIMs from Amazon. I believe you can get two trial SIMs for $5. They are perfect for setting up a phone the way you describe. Just remember to putbthe SIMs in a labeled envelope with your account info written down in case you ever need to Re validate the accounts.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    10-30-19 09:48 PM
    does WhatsApp and Duo require the number to be active? Mint website shows $15/mo and I really don't want to pay that. did I miss something?
    10-31-19 10:26 AM
    does WhatsApp and Duo require the number to be active? Mint website shows $15/mo and I really don't want to pay that. did I miss something?
    You don't have to subscribe. The Mint SIMs come with 30 minutes, which is enough to set up your phone. I don't know anything about WhatsApp because I would never use it. But you can set up a new Google account with Google Voice in a matter of minutes and it does not require you to keep the number active at all. Then you can use the Google Voice number for other accounts.

10-31-19 12:52 PM
    If you’re only going to use the device WiFi only, texting apps I suggested are good option. For a WiFi only iPad, these allow me to use device like a virtual iPhone Ultra Max squared...
    10-31-19 05:40 PM
    For iPhone, MySudo is awesome.

10-31-19 06:12 PM
    I want to get them going to give a good shakedown. later, especially for travel, I will take the Titan on the road for around the town with dual sIM adding a local SIM wherever I go. the KEYᵒⁿᵉ will go with me for my serious life tasks including laptop staying home. occasionally a windows device is absolute necessity (for some officialdom) and for that I carry an Ockel Sirius A device. don't tell me I ain't equipped, eh !! tabernacle...
    11-01-19 01:03 AM