Okay, I've tried to pretend it's all going to be okay. My complete and utter frustration has broken through my cognitive dissonance. This phone is HORRIBLE. It's slow, quirky, sticky, the bluetooth is terrible. I talked my wife into getting one, she returned it for an iPhone in less than 2 weeks. I am wondering if I shouldn't have done the same. I had high hopes for replacing the iPhone and the frustration of all the incessant updates and slow sticky quirky issues it had. But hey, at least it worked good for a year or so. I've purchased a sim card in hopes it would help. Nothing. You can load a settings page, it settles, go to touch an item and it SHIFTS at the last second sending you into a menu you didn't intend. It'll ring for an ENTIRE cycle and the caller ID won't even come up. You can select and option and it just hangs there stuck. I want this phone to work, it's just NOT.
    Last edited by Recovering iPhone Zombie; 05-08-18 at 07:46 PM.
    05-08-18 01:05 PM
    hope you got insurance on it and if so just send it in for a other one. faulty phone it sounds
    05-08-18 01:11 PM
    here you touched upon what makes the difference between ios and android. iPhone is made for those who want their phone "simply" to work, android phone is made for those who don't mind having to learn a bit, change habits and find solution. but I hear you, you paid for it, so you deserve it.
    cyberponcho likes this.
    05-08-18 01:16 PM
    here you touched upon what makes the difference between ios and android. iPhone is made for those who want their phone "simply" to work, android phone is made for those who don't mind having to learn a bit, change habits and find solution. but I hear you, you paid for it, so you deserve it.
    I think Android is simply intended as a lower cost OS for manufacturers and, as a result, consumers... the fact that you need to 'find solutions' for things is the effect of this, not the original intent.

That said, I've known people with iPhones who have had issues that I was completely unable to figure out. For a 'simple' phone, when there is a problem, the solution is extremely cumbersome if there even is one. Whereas Android is fairly easy to find one of countless solutions.

OP, I'm sure that your KEYone should be working smoother than it is and there is probably much to do in the way of optimizing the apps that you have installed. THIS is the inherent problem with Android. The apps available are still the wild west as far as permissions and there is no streamlined way to adjust settings for individual apps. My Aunt was just talking about how she had to send her new phone back to the carrier because her battery was losing its charge very quickly but there is no way that I believe it was a hardware problem. Undoubtedly, she had an application (or several) that had gone rogue and we're wreaking havoc in the background on her battery.

Android is fine... but certain apps (ironically the selling point of Android phones - access to zillions of apps!) are what can cripple a device used without due caution.
    05-08-18 01:32 PM
    Remember you bought a mid-range phone from a chinese company that does not excel at manufacturing phones, it's not even in their top business I'd bet. So you shouldn't expect much more than a half priced Huawei or Xiaomi (wich btw, do great phones). Android is all about patience, tweaks, freezing, reboots, etc. Unless you have a solid phone with latest specs.

You most probably bought this phone because of the keyboard. I am sorry if you didn't.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    05-08-18 02:24 PM
    OP, do you regularly clear your cache in settings - storage when it reaches 1gb? Did you lower your animations to 0.5x in developer options? Did you try a 32+ second reboot? If you did all of the above and there is still unbearable lag, then backup all your data and try a factory reset.
    05-08-18 02:49 PM
    I find "absolute" statements like this amusing. First off, you got a lemon, maybe a couple, imagine that from a product that is manufactured in China! Secondly, when build quality, materials and OS drive phones to $1,500 or more, what will the comments be then? lol.
    05-08-18 02:56 PM
    Dunno...as for tweaks I just lowered the animations to 0.5 1 0.5 respectively and....that's it. I dropped the phone soooo many times the aluminum rim is quite dented here and there aaaaand...nothing, solid as a rock (it's a black edition one so I guess the extra layer of glue did its job). No squeaking and no battery cover cracking, no double typing and no constant charging as it was the case with my Classic. Yes, my phones do have to take quite some beating but it's not a love affair after all, it's phones were talking about and they're just intended to get the job done and to not stand in my way . So much for the build quality in my case, definitely wouldn't call it just another mid range Android phone build quality wise and IMHO TCL did a great job here. As for specs, sure, the chip definitely is a lower mid range one but I find the overall mixture with 4 Gigs of RAM and 64 gigs of storage + card slot somewhat above the mid range standard, at least for the time when it has been launched. It works extremely well for me and it's definitely more stable than my BB10 OS ever was, running smoothly with 85 apps installed, no lags, no freezing no OS crashing... Is all of that good enough? Was it worth spending USD 700 on? In my case, yes, absolutely. But I'm well aware that we all have different needs and different habits so I understand that it just doesn't cut it for everyone. And for reasons incomprehensible to me there seems to be a certain number of devices that do suffer from lagging etc. Would actually like to see that happening with my own eyes as for the life of me a can't wrap my head around this - how can identical hardware produce such a varied user experience in terms of fluidity...?
    05-08-18 04:55 PM
    OP, do you regularly clear your cache in settings - storage when it reaches 1gb? Did you lower your animations to 0.5x in developer options? Did you try a 32+ second reboot? If you did all of the above and there is still unbearable lag, then backup all your data and try a factory reset.
    I don't regularly but if I need to I will. I don't know how to lower animations but I'll look that up. I do a 32+ second reboot regularly because it's always F-ing up.
    05-08-18 07:48 PM
    Okay, I've tried to pretend it's all going to be okay. My complete and utter frustration has broken through my cognitive dissonance. This phone is HORRIBLE. It's slow, quirky, sticky, the bluetooth is terrible. I talked my wife into getting one, she returned it for an iPhone in less than 2 weeks. I am wondering if I shouldn't have done the same. I had high hopes for replacing the iPhone and the frustration of all the incessant updates and slow sticky quirky issues it had. But hey, at least it worked good for a year or so. I've purchased a sim card in hopes it would help. Nothing. You can load a settings page, it settles, go to touch an item and it SHIFTS at the last second sending you into a menu you didn't intend. It'll ring for an ENTIRE cycle and the caller ID won't even come up. You can select and option and it just hangs there stuck. I want this phone to work, it's just NOT.
    No,no,no.
    It is a user's error.
    Keyone cannot take the blame.
    It must be your fault.

That's what I get from the forum.

Posted via CB10
    05-08-18 07:49 PM
    I find "absolute" statements like this amusing. First off, you got a lemon, maybe a couple, imagine that from a product that is manufactured in China! Secondly, when build quality, materials and OS drive phones to $1,500 or more, what will the comments be then? lol.

I guess the fact that sprint stopped selling them and was asked to return them all to the factory that maybe ALL of them are lemons. I posted a thread about that and didn't get an answer. What's NOT made in China?
    05-08-18 07:50 PM
    If there are any apps I need to get rid of or anything please let me know. I didn't download hardly anything except a few podcast apps, Waze, Compund media, weather and I only run about 3 apps at a time. I didn't run the google maps app because it clearly made the phone almost unusable. If there are any I should delete I will. All that said I don't think this phone is a lemon, I think it's an inferior phone with potential and they need to fix it with the next version. Camera is horrible and the phone is just too damn slow. Oh.........I WILL say this about it, the battery life is amazing.

I am SERIOUSLY suspect of all the "tech gurus" that gave this phone a great review. And quite a few did.
    05-08-18 08:05 PM
    If there are any apps I need to get rid of or anything please let me know. I didn't download hardly anything except a few podcast apps, Waze, Compund media, weather and I only run about 3 apps at a time. I didn't run the google maps app because it clearly made the phone almost unusable. If there are any I should delete I will. All that said I don't think this phone is a lemon, I think it's an inferior phone with potential and they need to fix it with the next version. Camera is horrible and the phone is just too damn slow. Oh.........I WILL say this about it, the battery life is amazing.

I am SERIOUSLY suspect of all the "tech gurus" that gave this phone a great review. And quite a few did.
    Clear the cache it's the biggest culprit for lag in my experience. Clear it. If that doesn't work, wipe the phone and start fresh.
    05-08-18 08:41 PM
    Clear the cache it's the biggest culprit for lag in my experience. Clear it. If that doesn't work, wipe the phone and start fresh.
    Last time I cleared the cache I didn't notice a huge difference if at all. I'll try it though. Gonna need to make sure that the restore on the KEYone is as seamless as it was on the old curves and other RIM phones before I wipe it. .
    05-08-18 09:22 PM
    I guess the fact that sprint stopped selling them and was asked to return them all to the factory that maybe ALL of them are lemons. I posted a thread about that and didn't get an answer. What's NOT made in China?
    Hahaha, you're right! That's why I get a kick out of "but it's not working and it's my 10th one" lmao! We're doomed! Lol.
    05-08-18 09:28 PM
    I don't regularly but if I need to I will. I don't know how to lower animations but I'll look that up. I do a 32+ second reboot regularly because it's always F-ing up.
    Enable developer options to lower animations. It prompts applications and gestures to respond more quickly.

Settings > about phone , then keep adding the build version until you are a now a developer pops message pops up.

Then prompt settings > developer options > window animation scale > .5x & animator duration scale > .5x. Some change transition animation scale to .5x too but I have mine set to off.
    Dunno...as for tweaks I just lowered the animations to 0.5 1 0.5 respectively and....that's it. I dropped the phone soooo many times the aluminum rim is quite dented here and there aaaaand...nothing, solid as a rock (it's a black edition one so I guess the extra layer of glue did its job). No squeaking and no battery cover cracking, no double typing and no constant charging as it was the case with my Classic. Yes, my phones do have to take quite some beating but it's not a love affair after all, it's phones were talking about and they're just intended to get the job done and to not stand in my way . So much for the build quality in my case, definitely wouldn't call it just another mid range Android phone build quality wise and IMHO TCL did a great job here. As for specs, sure, the chip definitely is a lower mid range one but I find the overall mixture with 4 Gigs of RAM and 64 gigs of storage + card slot somewhat above the mid range standard, at least for the time when it has been launched. It works extremely well for me and it's definitely more stable than my BB10 OS ever was, running smoothly with 85 apps installed, no lags, no freezing no OS crashing... Is all of that good enough? Was it worth spending USD 700 on? In my case, yes, absolutely. But I'm well aware that we all have different needs and different habits so I understand that it just doesn't cut it for everyone. And for reasons incomprehensible to me there seems to be a certain number of devices that do suffer from lagging etc. Would actually like to see that happening with my own eyes as for the life of me a can't wrap my head around this - how can identical hardware produce such a varied user experience in terms of fluidity...?
    05-08-18 09:29 PM
    Hahaha, you're right! That's why I get a kick out of "but it's not working and it's my 10th one" lmao! We're doomed! Lol.
    It's my first one (blackberry) in almost a decade. I just remember the old days of dropping my phones from a 3rd story balcony and not breaking it. I even remember my 1st generation iPhone (because I still have it) and it was AWESOME. Didn't need a case, still seems to function pretty well when I charge it up and play with it. I'm going back to an F-ing Star Tac. We ARE doomed and we are allowing it.
    05-08-18 09:47 PM
    No,no,no.
    It is a user's error.
    Keyone cannot take the blame.
    It must be your fault.

That's what I get from the forum.

Posted via CB10
    Whatever the case, one has to reconcile this one personal experience with those of many others who have no issues at all.

To me, as long as I keep the cached data to less than 750MB, things operate just swimmingly.
    05-08-18 09:59 PM
    It's my first one (blackberry) in almost a decade. I just remember the old days of dropping my phones from a 3rd story balcony and not breaking it. I even remember my 1st generation iPhone (because I still have it) and it was AWESOME. Didn't need a case, still seems to function pretty well when I charge it up and play with it. I'm going back to an F-ing Star Tac. We ARE doomed and we are allowing it.
    Ah, first gen iPhone, jailbreak, desimlock... good old day's... it is true that while we are typing on our PKB, as we like it, we probably need also to watch our back ! Not to say anywhere else ! 👉👌
    05-08-18 11:02 PM
    Enable developer options to lower animations. It prompts applications and gestures to respond more quickly.

Settings > about phone , then keep adding the build version until you are a now a developer pops message pops up.

Then prompt settings > developer options > window animation scale > .5x & animator duration scale > .5x. Some change transition animation scale to .5x too but I have mine set to off.
    This !! Plus OP make sure you make a habit of clearing your cashe once a week and reboot. It's just a natural thing for me to do now
    05-08-18 11:13 PM
    Also op regarding caller ID not displaying as quickly as you'd like; try saving your contacts locally to the device. If they already are, I'm stumped. Maybe try a new account provider to save the contacts to
    05-08-18 11:33 PM
    The first iPhone sucked, period. I never had a phone with such abysmal battery life. Compared to it, the Priv is an endurance king.

That being said, seriously do the cache clearing, lowering animations and 32+ second reboot and then report back if the same lag is still there. I doubt it.
    05-09-18 01:15 AM
    you need to 'find solutions' for things is the effect of this, not the original intent.
    The original intent was for YOU to set the phone up the way you wanted it to work, total and complete customization by the owner. At least that was how it being advertised, when the OS it's self was being advertised.
    I suspect it was the only way Google was going to be able take on Apple, (and to a much lessor extent, BB). Get a whole bunch of different manufacturers behind your OS, then leverage that into a whole bunch of other endeavors. And it worked.
    It prob is a lower cost OS, on a per device basis, but only because development costs are shared by many manufacturers.

And lets not forget, it is Google, so every possible way to have the phone send data to them is ON or enabled by default. Thats on the OS and most every app.
    I'm surprised there has almost no mention in this thread about restricting background activity.

And it was a midrange device when new, now it's it's a lower midrange device, don't expect high end performance, it's not there. You paid high end price to get the PKB, and a PKB is not going to improve the actual operation of the device.
    -- This isn't directed specifically at birddog, though I opened with quoting him.
    05-09-18 06:27 AM
    after you clean the cashe and lower animation scale... you can wake up from your zombie state and race with your wife's iphone... just don't download those chinese mega app (or some of iphone app that re-branded to droid... by default, it add extra layer to work on non-native OS - slower than the native version... usually very little optimization were done).
    05-09-18 06:58 AM
    [QUOTE=Recovering iPhone Zombie;
    I think it's an inferior phone with potential and they need to fix it with the next version. Camera is horrible and the phone is just too damn slow. Oh.........I WILL say this about it, the battery life is amazing.

I am SERIOUSLY suspect of all the "tech gurus" that gave this phone a great review. And quite a few did.[/QUOTE]

I think you are spot on.

I have gotten mine to work reasonably consistently, but at the expense of some apps (isn't that the reason for Android BlackBerry existence in the first place??) that I enjoyed. I deleted apps that updated data regularly and that helps a good bit. I turned most of those into Web addresses on my home screen which works well.

Still, I like the device, and I'm waiting for the KeyTwo improvements. Alas, I'm on Verizon, in the US, so the K2 will likely be halfway through its useful life cycle before I ever get one.
    05-09-18 11:35 AM
33 12