Any real experience and recommendations?

Thanks
    04-29-18 02:59 AM
    I'm using AVG. So far it works fine.
    04-29-18 03:09 AM

Thanks
    You don't need any.
    04-29-18 04:02 AM
    I have Avast which I think is part AVG anyway. it doesn't hurt to have an extra layer of protection over Google updates and DTEK etc.
    04-29-18 11:23 AM
    I have Avast which I think is part AVG anyway. it doesn't hurt to have an extra layer of protection over Google updates and DTEK etc.
    It's almost useless as it has no system access.
    Carjackd, rarsen and deezy87 like this.
    04-29-18 11:45 AM
    I use Norton, since I already use it on my computer. The IDsafe app is nice too. Don't have to try to remember passwords...they're in the vault
    04-29-18 11:57 AM
    If you have Google Chrome installed then you need antivirus it's an absolute must. Likewise if you have Microsoft Edge installed you need antivirus.

If you use Samsung web browser or opera web browser or even Mozilla web browser, you should not need antivus, since all three are secure browsers.
    As long as your Android permissions are locked down to DTEK standard.

Norton symantec and McAfee are all white listed for NSA purposes. I therefore recommend Avast, AVG and Kasperski.
    All three are good at keeping the Russians the British the Chinese and the American snooping systems out of your phone.

Americans, do not often stop to think diversity pays when it comes to security, so get your different components from different countries, you reduce the risks all round.

With the phone's being made in China with a Canadian Security System both countries are very interested in keeping all of those out.

BlackBerry is the most secure system on the planet it is even in Boeing black phone.

It must be realise that Android is predominantly an American operating system in that Google Now controls it. Running an American or British antivirus on a British or American operating system is not a good idea they can play to fit in with bad characters in internal security.

Very few companies in Russia would put Kaspersky on their systems but they would put avast or AVG on.
    In China they would put Kaspersky on Windows systems.
    Basically because the two systems would work against each other in keeping the nefarious people out.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 04-30-18 at 10:36 AM.
    04-29-18 02:26 PM
    They all suck and will bog down your phone. Not recommended or needed.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    04-29-18 02:32 PM
    The only time an AV is used on Android is to scan your installed (which means you've already been infected) apps, and to uninstall them. You only have to worry about this when you're side-loading apps (installing apps not from the play store).

Of course, Google isn't a catch-all for bad apps. This is why the permission system is the way it is in Android. As long as you are aware of the data you're granting permissions to, then you don't need an AV.

To say that Chrome or Edge are "not secure" browsers is ludicrous.

As an IT professional, I do not use any antivirus on my Android device. As Conite said, no app has system-level access. It's the way Android runs apps. Just be mindful of what permissions you're granting.
    04-29-18 02:46 PM
    bad idea
    04-29-18 03:01 PM
    i recommend ESET mobile security.
    04-29-18 03:34 PM
    Don't forget a strong firewall. 😉
    04-29-18 03:50 PM
    It's a Blackberry for goodness sakes! If added security is necessary, then in the bin it goes! Lol.
    Last edited by Crusader03; 04-30-18 at 05:24 PM.
    04-29-18 04:30 PM
    04-29-18 04:31 PM
    If you have Google Chrome installed then you need antivirus it's an absolute must. Likewise if you have Microsoft Edge installed you need antivirus.
    If you use Samsung web browser or opera web browser or even Mozilla web browser it is therefore not needed because all three are secure browsers.
    What in the world are you talking about?
    deezy87 and anon(9188202) like this.
    04-29-18 05:58 PM
    If you use Samsung web browser or opera web browser or even Mozilla web browser it is therefore not needed because all three are secure browsers.
    As long as your Android permissions are locked down to dtek standard.

Norton symantec and McAfee are all white listed for NSA purposes. I therefore recommend Avast AVG and Kasperski. All three are good at keeping the Russians the British the Chinese and the American snooping systems out of your phone. With the phone's being made in China with a Canadian Security System both countries are very interested in keeping all of those out.
    BlackBerry is the most secure system on the planet it is even in Boeing black phone.
    It's 8 o'clock somewhere.
    ALToronto likes this.
    04-29-18 07:34 PM

Thanks
    Don't use one. It's pointless.
    Laura Knotek and rarsen like this.
    04-29-18 11:03 PM
    Don't use one. It's pointless.
    He is spot-on. I do not use any such thing either, and I've never had any issues with malware.
    04-30-18 01:48 AM
    *cough*Snake oil*cough*
    04-30-18 01:53 AM
    Opened a can of worms. Ok. Won't bother with one. Thanks for advice
    04-30-18 04:35 AM
    Opened a can of worms. Ok. Won't bother with one. Thanks for advice
    Well darn, I got here too late to post my famous, (or infamous) reply.
    04-30-18 04:46 AM
    As long as your Android permissions are locked down to dtek standard.

Norton symantec and McAfee are all white listed for NSA purposes. I therefore recommend Avast AVG and Kasperski. All three are good at keeping the Russians the British the Chinese and the American snooping systems out of your phone. With the phone's being made in China with a Canadian Security System both countries are very interested in keeping all of those out.
    Isn't Kaspersky in hot water now?
    04-30-18 07:39 AM
    Yes and no Japanese and Israeli secret service both caught Kaspersky looking at the filing system reports for American companies prior to filing the security reports of they're defective systems as Kaspersky tightened down the controls from there end. All they were seen with was document names and filing structures that had to be attended to and secured down.
    There has been nothing to say that Kapowski had any access to the documents apart from those being scanned on system by the on the system app.
    So far I have not seen any evidence that Compares key copied any of the files to anybody else's system.
    Last edited by nevilleadaniels; 04-30-18 at 10:46 AM.
    04-30-18 07:49 AM
    If you want to keep US Gov secrets out of the hands of Russians, it's prob not a great choice. If you want to keep your secrets out of the hands of the US Gov, it's a good choice.
    That's for computers, any anti virus running full time on an Android is a bad idea, and not needed.
    04-30-18 08:58 AM
    If you want to keep US Gov secrets out of the hands of Russians, it's prob not a great choice. If you want to keep your secrets out of the hands of the US Gov, it's a good choice.
    That's for computers, any anti virus running full time on an Android is a bad idea, and not needed.
    That's what I was getting at--not known for their scrupulous behavior.
    04-30-18 09:03 AM
39 12