This is an offshoot from other thread "Canada got the shaft again".

So an update guys. I don't know what to make of this.

I went to the Bell store and bought the cheapest month-to-month plan and paid for the phone outright. I am going to canceling the plan soon. I was about to order the online unlock code to use my Fido SIM but then thought putting my Fido SIM card in just for the sake of it. And low and behold it works!! Everything works and it has no issues. It's like the phone is unlocked or it was never locked to Bell.

The lady told me to do the set up after she put in the Bell SIM card at the shop and I said can I just do it later and she was like okay. At that point she had simply started the phone with the Bell SIM in the phone but I didn't do any of the setup process. On top I could see Bell and LTE.

I got home and before turning it on again I put in my Fido SIM card and it works. Not sure how or why...but obviously I am not complaining. Everything seems to be working from what I can tell. Perhaps this may help some other people out there or someone has plausible explanation I am all ears.
    05-31-17 03:23 PM
    Interesting. I know with some iPhones they're 'technically' unlocked when bought and only become locked when activated with a SIM card, so maybe the KEYone is using a similar system but still, that doesn't explain why it wouldn't have locked when the Bell SIM was inserted. Consider yourself lucky lol.
    05-31-17 03:35 PM
    I just tried with my TELUS Sim and it didn't work. I did the same thing and got a $10 prepaid plan just so I could buy it. Mine asks for an unlock mep code
    05-31-17 03:49 PM
    Interesting. I know with some iPhones they're 'technically' unlocked when bought and only become locked when activated with a SIM card, so maybe the KEYone is using a similar system but still, that doesn't explain why it wouldn't have locked when the Bell SIM was inserted. Consider yourself lucky lol.
    Maybe he didn't put in the bell sim. Would be neat!
    05-31-17 04:02 PM
    The lady in the shop definitely inserted the Bell SIM. I saw the Bell logo and LTE display on top. She started the phone and it booted up. At the 'get started' screen I turned it back off and came off and put in my Fido SIM.
    05-31-17 05:14 PM
    Can confirm... Virgin works on the Bell phones with no unlock. Just picked one up

Posted via CB10
    05-31-17 06:20 PM
    Usually only virgin should work with bell without unlocking / telus and koodo work with each other without unlocking and many times rogers/fido work with each other without unlocking

but I have never seen fido working with bell without unlocking lol

Maybe someone in the store had the unlock code and unlocked it for you. Or some bell units are arriving unlocked which has happened in the past with the passport.

And as Bla1ze mentioned on iphones many in canada there are many that lock to the first sim inserted, but as you said the bell rep inserted a bell sim already. So yes, you are very lucky lol!

Enjoy your KeyOne it's a dream to use
    06-02-17 05:07 PM
    So by "setup process" you mean configuring the phone to a specific Bell account and phone number?

I wonder if your phone is now locked to Fido then?
    06-02-17 05:18 PM
    Can confirm... Virgin works on the Bell phones with no unlock. Just picked one up

Posted via CB10
    That's what I've been doing for awhile to get Blackberry phones that Virgin Mobile did not sell. Buying from Bell on cheap month - month but only on the plan for 2 months then cancel plan . Virgin was just cheaper for me.

And for Bell to Fido from what was posted that's really strange and pretty lucky I would say for sure. Congrats ....
    06-02-17 09:34 PM
    By setup process I mean after Bell Sim was inserted the phone was started up and the screen displayed the 'get started' part. Then you just do the setup like WiFi, passwords, email account etc. So I didn't do the get started process but the phone was displaying Bell on top. So if it had to be activated to be locked I don't think it did that.

I kind of want to put the bell Sim in to see what happens and if it works or not but I am little concerned about it getting locked or something and then Fido not working lol. But ya definitely strange which is why I made the post.
    06-02-17 10:23 PM