Hey all, just got my KEYone. The first real day after getting my phone I saw battery life was alright. It wasn't as great as everybody hyped it up to be. I read some threads, disabled the Hub. It got a little bit better, but still ho-hum battery life. I'm getting about 2 hours of screen on time and about 60% battery life left. I work in the automotive industry so I don't use my phone all that often, only during down time I'll check Facebook, maybe reply to a couple of BBM messages. RARELY ever use Snapchat. I've even cleared my recent apps list to try and kill apps that could be running in the background. I have Gmail set to push emails (which are horrifically delayed on this compared to other Android and iOS devices I've used).

What seems to be going on? Any tips/help I can get?

Thanks!
    08-01-17 09:07 PM

Here are some apps I've been using while at work.
    08-01-17 09:11 PM
    You're going to have to post some screenshots of your Check Battery level status for us to be of any help.

edit* I see you have done so!!
    08-01-17 09:11 PM
    I uploaded them right before you posted it. Let me know what you think!
    08-01-17 09:13 PM
    My first look says the battery looks great. 12 hours in while streaming music and videos and the battery is still at 70%. Keep using the phone as you did today and the battery would last 36 hours. I see no issue.
    08-01-17 09:17 PM
    I guess my idea of 'moderate usage' varies from person to person. Just about 1.5 hours of screen on time, used the Google Maps Navigation for about 10 minutes, audio streaming via Bluetooth (not streaming audio via network, the music is downloaded) for about an hour, and intermittent Facebook and BBM usage seems pretty light in my opinion. I guess I'm used to the amazing battery optimization from my iPhone 7 I just swapped out of haha.
    08-01-17 09:20 PM
    I guess my idea of 'moderate usage' varies from person to person. Just about 1.5 hours of screen on time, used the Google Maps Navigation for about 10 minutes, audio streaming via Bluetooth (not streaming audio via network, the music is downloaded) for about an hour, and intermittent Facebook and BBM usage seems pretty light in my opinion. I guess I'm used to the amazing battery optimization from my iPhone 7 I just swapped out of haha.
    Your iPhone was getting a day and a half with comparable usage? Just asking
    curtxxx likes this.
    08-01-17 09:25 PM
    The same type of usage I'd leave the office with about 80% life left. Sometimes even pushing 90%!

Edit: I'm reading about how these other users get 5-6 hours of screen on time and still have about half battery life left. That's what I was sorta expecting so I figured it was maybe the way I was using my KEYone.
    08-01-17 09:26 PM
    To me it looks like your cellular network signal is weak, and the radio may be constantly trying to connect. Also, Facebook is a well-known battery drainer depending on the version of the app you're running.

I have poor LTE reception in my house (and have with every LTE-capable phone I've owned since I'm in the middle of three distant towers) so I drop down to HSPA+ or WCDMA at home, and the battery life has improved on every device I've owned. I also use Metal Pro instead of Facebook and haven't seen the battery drain I did when I had Facebook and Facebook Messenger installed.
    08-01-17 09:31 PM
    To me it looks like your cellular network signal is weak, and the radio may be constantly trying to connect. Also, Facebook is a well-known battery drainer depending on the version of the app you're running.

I have poor LTE reception in my house (and have with every LTE-capable phone I've owned since I'm in the middle of three distant towers) so I drop down to HSPA+ or WCDMA at home, and the battery life has improved on every device I've owned. I also use Metal Pro instead of Facebook and haven't seen the battery drain I did when I had Facebook and Facebook Messenger installed.
    Sprint unfortunately doesn't have the best of coverage outside the Twin Cities metropolitan area. I'm just outside the metro and signal strength waffles between 2-4 bars. Definitely could be the phone trying to get better signal strength! I'll try to see if I can disable LTE and see how that goes.

I'll have to get a look at Metal Pro and see how that goes as well.

Edit: At work I do also see signal strength go between 1-4 bars, depending on where in the garage I'm in. I think that could be the culprit! I'll see how disabling LTE goes tomorrow.
    08-01-17 09:35 PM
    Sprint unfortunately doesn't have the best of coverage outside the Twin Cities metropolitan area. I'm just outside the metro and signal strength waffles between 2-4 bars. Definitely could be the phone trying to get better signal strength! I'll try to see if I can disable LTE and see how that goes.

I'll have to get a look at Metal Pro and see how that goes as well.
    I find HSPA+ speed more than adequate for everything I do, since I'm usually in wifi range when I need to do anything needing speed. As for Metal Pro, it doubles as both a Facebook and Twitter app and has dark theme, so it's been my go-to since I had a Priv and faced the Facebook app battery drain. Try the non-Pro version first to see if it suits you. I found it worthwhile to pay the upgrade fee.
    08-01-17 09:38 PM
    This is what I'm getting on all heavy usage day like today.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Life Ho-hum. What am I doing wrong?-7402.jpg  
    ktrazy91 likes this.
    08-01-17 09:41 PM
    An this what I've used
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Life Ho-hum. What am I doing wrong?-7403.jpg  
    08-01-17 09:41 PM
    I turned off LTE and went just to CDMA (since Sprint is a CDMA carrier) and it dropped to 3G with 2 bars still. If signal strength for 3G is going to be that dismal, I may as well just continue to use LTE and get the faster data transfer!

I'm downloading Metal right now. So far it's pretty good. I'd like to see how the notification settings are for posts I follow.

As for FishhPoohh, did you plug in at all during that screen on time? If not, that more like what I would expect. Over 8 hours of screen on time and the battery is almost gone. At my current going rate, about 3 hours of screen on time and I'm already running to the charger.
    08-01-17 09:55 PM
    I didn't plug it in once during the day. I do have my screen brightness turned down to about 25% and I have data sync turned off on all my apps and email. Using Bluetooth does seem to drain the battery faster though.
    08-01-17 11:37 PM
    I didn't plug it in once during the day. I do have my screen brightness turned down to about 25% and I have data sync turned off on all my apps and email. Using Bluetooth does seem to drain the battery faster though.
    I'll try 25% screen brightness. As for data sync I that's something I'll leave on because I do enjoy periodic notifications. I'll disable Bluetooth while I'm at work and see how that goes. Thanks for your reply!
    08-01-17 11:39 PM
    I have data sync turned off on all my apps and email.
    Sorry, but what's the point of using a smartphone if you're not using data? I think the OP's battery stats are normal. They are basically the same as mine and I also live and work in an area with a poor LTE signal. On the Passport I switched to 3G, but on the K1 I haven't bothered since I still get through a day of heavy use with data (WiFi and mobile) being constantly on.
    pinkvikchick likes this.
    08-01-17 11:48 PM
    Sorry, but what's the point of using a smartphone if you're not using data? I think the OP's battery stats are normal. They are basically the same as mine and I also live and work in an area with a poor LTE signal. On the Passport I switched to 3G, but on the K1 I haven't bothered since I still get through a day of heavy use with data (WiFi and mobile) being constantly on.
    Does having WiFi turned on and connected while having poor cellular signal strength helpful for battery life for you? I can easily get through a days use with very light usage, but if I used my K1 more often, it'll die at 3 hours of screen on time.
    08-01-17 11:52 PM
    Does having WiFi turned on and connected while having poor cellular signal strength helpful for battery life for you? I can easily get through a days use with very light usage, but if I used my K1 more often, it'll die at 3 hours of screen on time.
    Well, 3 hours doesn't sound right. I've gotten 9. I never have problems getting through the day on a charge. I do have the screen brightness turned down (and on non-adjustable) quite a lot, but it's still bright enough for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Battery Life Ho-hum. What am I doing wrong?-36455.jpg  
    08-02-17 12:01 AM
    Well, 3 hours doesn't sound right. I've gotten 9. I never have problems getting through the day on a charge. I do have the screen brightness turned down (and on non-adjustable) quite a lot, but it's still bright enough for me.
    Yeah my original screenshots in the beginning was 60% left at 1.5 hours of screen on time with very light usage through the day.
    08-02-17 12:04 AM
    Hey all, just got my KEYone. The first real day after getting my phone I saw battery life was alright. It wasn't as great as everybody hyped it up to be. I read some threads, disabled the Hub. It got a little bit better, but still ho-hum battery life. I'm getting about 2 hours of screen on time and about 60% battery life left. I work in the automotive industry so I don't use my phone all that often, only during down time I'll check Facebook, maybe reply to a couple of BBM messages. RARELY ever use Snapchat. I've even cleared my recent apps list to try and kill apps that could be running in the background. I have Gmail set to push emails (which are horrifically delayed on this compared to other Android and iOS devices I've used).

What seems to be going on? Any tips/help I can get?

Thanks!
    Take note that most of the people claiming great battery life barely use Social Media, have their Screen Brightness low and mostly do Emails and Calls.

When their 'Phone Idle' percentage is +10% and near the top, that tells you the phone doesn't get that much usage.

The fact that you use Facebook and a bit of Snapchat may explain it, do you also browse Instagram quite a bit? How about Web Browsing.

Also, take note, your battery is still being run-in, it should reach peak performance after a few charge cycles.
    08-02-17 12:09 AM
    Take note that most of the people claiming great battery life barely use Social Media, have their Screen Brightness low and mostly do Emails and Calls.

The fact that you use Facebook and a bit of Snapchat may explain it, do you also browse Instagram quite a bit? How about Web Browsing.

Also, take note, your battery is still being run-in, it should reach peak performance after a few charge cycles.
    Facebook, I've used it maybe a total of an hour? I check it in between clients and reply to comments. That's about it.

Snapchat, I didn't open it at all. I rarely ever use it, if at all.

Instagram, I've probably used maybe a few minutes doing quick scrolling through my feed.

Web browsing, never did it once at work. I have a work computer I can Google stuff with.

Otherwise it's just time checking, and unlocking my K1 to see if there's any notifications.

I also have AccuWeather pulling weather updates every hour for a home screen widgit, Gmail is set to push, and an hour of Spotify playing music that's already downloaded via Bluetooth streaming. Plus 10 minutes of Google Maps navigation.
    08-02-17 12:17 AM
    Facebook, I've used it maybe a total of an hour? I check it in between clients and reply to comments. That's about it.

Snapchat, I didn't open it at all. I rarely ever use it, if at all.

Instagram, I've probably used maybe a few minutes doing quick scrolling through my feed.

Web browsing, never did it once at work. I have a work computer I can Google stuff with.

Otherwise it's just time checking, and unlocking my K1 to see if there's any notifications.

I also have AccuWeather pulling weather updates every hour for a home screen widgit, Gmail is set to push, and an hour of Spotify playing music that's already downloaded via Bluetooth streaming. Plus 10 minutes of Google Maps navigation.
    Sounds like you're getting decent battery life.

Don't expect all these ridiculous 36-48hours and +10hours Screen On Times if you are doing Social Media , Streaming Music and even using SatNav.

As long as the phone gets you through the day, you'll be fine.
    08-02-17 12:25 AM

When their 'Phone Idle' percentage is +10% and near the top, that tells you the phone doesn't get that much usage.

In my case it's yes to the low screen brightness (any higher and it just hurts my eyes), but no to all the other things you mentioned (I do use social media quite a lot, especially WhatsApp). I also do several hours of WiFi streaming every day. Yes to your last point, new smartphones tend to need a few charges for the battery to 'settle in'.
    08-02-17 12:27 AM
    Take note that most of the people claiming great battery life barely use Social Media, have their Screen Brightness low and mostly do Emails and Calls..
    I use twitter, Facebook, instagram, emails, web browse, every day for work and have never had to charge the phone before bed. It's in the 20%+ after 15+ hours. When hardly using any of the above, I went to bed at 70%. The battery is between great and insanely great.
    08-02-17 12:27 AM
54 123