Hi crackberry community,
    I'm an at overall happy user of the keyone since last wednsday and it's official release in france.

But i do have one concern, i know it will sound crazy, but my battery life is so far very deceiving ....
    I manage to make it hold at average 11h with 4h30 of screen on time ... Which seems for me very low ...

My usage is mostly messaging ( i have 5 mailbox synchronized, whatsapp, sms and messenger usage ) and sometimes surfing a bit and using a few other apps ... And some waze and spotify in my daily 2h commute...

I do admit i want to keep location services on purpose as i find the activity tracker function very useful, same as pictures on the cloud synchronization ( and i'm connected on wifi 80% of the time )

Also during night, i lose around 15% of battery while not using the phone

I don't know if it'll get better over time but i hope so, otherwise it will be a huge disappointment ...BUT it'll still be better than my previous Priv and Passport ( that didn't last more than 7 or 8 h with mu usage )

So my question is, do you know if such low battery life is "normal" or if it can be massively optimize ( without sacrificing my current usage of the phone) ?

Here is a printscreen of my use this sunday

Battery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170604-164422.jpgBattery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170604-164430.jpgBattery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170604-170812.jpgBattery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170604-170807.jpg
    06-04-17 10:07 AM
    Mon francais cest terrible... Mais.... EST q vous avez fait Un cicle de rechargement complet? Salut.
    06-04-17 11:14 AM
    Your batter usage on BlackBerry keyboard ! and android looks a bit weird.
    Make a hard restart of the device and see how it's going.
    06-04-17 01:09 PM
    Mon francais cest terrible... Mais.... EST q vous avez fait Un cicle de rechargement complet? Salut.
    Hey, that's not bad for French l. I understood
    06-04-17 01:21 PM
    @fanisk
    ueah, i see that and other apps doesn't seem to be source of battery draw ( even facebook for once),

by hard restart do you mean with factory reset and stuff ? or just long press on the power button and restarting android ?

because it took me a whole evening ( around 5h ) to configure it and reinstall the 100 apps i
    had on my priv ( since it seems google lost my backups ... and weren't able to restore all this on the keyone )

but what surprizes me is that, for example it's still way better than on my priv, i was able to reach 3 hours of screen on time with luck, and to reach 5 pm with luck too ... like not using my phone .... and the priv was struggling and overheating a lot ...

here the keyone is always snappy and stay at completely normal temperatures ...

so now i'm starting to wonder if i'm such a heavy user ... i don't think so, i managed to last 3 days before with an old bb9700 ( my first love )
    06-04-17 03:30 PM
    yeah, i configured it out of the box, waited for the battery to go under 10 % and did a full recharge, then used the whole day ( on thursday ) not charging in car but using waze and spotify, then charged at home, i was quite happy to make it last from 9am to 9pm with 4h25 of on screen time ( in the tasks, i had first the screen with 16% of battery usage, then keyboard and android system with 10 % each, then idle phone and android platform at 9% each )

it's just i read so much great things about the amazing battery life that i feel frustrated to not make it last more (even if it's better than what i had on my passport, and way better than the priv )
    06-04-17 03:36 PM
    I was having a lot of drain the first few days and today seems to be the first normal day. The only thing I did that was different, was recreated my APN (I've commented on other threads about my iffy reception). Today I'm at 80% after 7 hours off the charger with about 50 minutes screen on time. I don't have as many apps as you but the battery performance of the K1 is now on a par with my Mate 9.
    06-04-17 03:42 PM
    so far the APN has been set up automatically, by recreating, do you mean resetting it ? or entering it manually ?

so far my network reception is actually flawless ....

i remember one of the tips on the priv was to disable 2G and select 4G/3G as favorite network bands ...maybe it can do the trick too ... issue is here in Paris we only have 2g in the subway ... ( yeah welcome to the early 2000s )
    06-04-17 03:46 PM
    so far the APN has been set up automatically, by recreating, do you mean resetting it ? or entering it manually ?

so far my network reception is actually flawless ....

i remember one of the tips on the priv was to disable 2G and select 4G/3G as favorite network bands ...maybe it can do the trick too ... issue is here in Paris we only have 2g in the subway ... ( yeah welcome to the early 2000s )
    Yeah it may be a red herring. I just set up a new APN that had recommended settings from my US carrier, noted in thread here.

There's an old theory that Android takes a few days to settle down once you install it fresh so it might just be a couple of charging cycles and reboots away from that for you. Obviously I'll be happy once I get 2-3 days consistent battery performance. But no one buys Android for battery predictability

With the battery size, screen size and processor choice, there's no reason why you can't comfortably go a day with heavy use on the K1.
    06-04-17 03:54 PM
    @fanisk
    ueah, i see that and other apps doesn't seem to be source of battery draw ( even facebook for once),

by hard restart do you mean with factory reset and stuff ? or just long press on the power button and restarting android ?

because it took me a whole evening ( around 5h ) to configure it and reinstall the 100 apps i
    had on my priv ( since it seems google lost my backups ... and weren't able to restore all this on the keyone )

but what surprizes me is that, for example it's still way better than on my priv, i was able to reach 3 hours of screen on time with luck, and to reach 5 pm with luck too ... like not using my phone .... and the priv was struggling and overheating a lot ...

here the keyone is always snappy and stay at completely normal temperatures ...

so now i'm starting to wonder if i'm such a heavy user ... i don't think so, i managed to last 3 days before with an old bb9700 ( my first love )
    Press the power button and don't select any of the one screen messages, to ''power off'' or ''restart'', just keep it pressed until the Android restarts.

I see your comments about the Priv , however you can achieve much much better battery life with the KEYone , I achieve more than 4 hours of SOT and about 40 hours unplugged !
    06-04-17 11:12 PM
    thanks, did the hard reset, also uninstalled the keyboard app and reinstalled it ...

well, it seems to go better today, but i'm basically not using the phone ... not sending any text or messages with it ...

18h remaining with 90% of battery, ( 30 mn of SOT ), 17h remaining with 82% of battery ( and 45 mn of SOT ) and removed from the plug 4h ago ...

so ... i will normally reach something like 22h of power up time with 4h of SOT ... my screen on time seems very very low though ...

also, the phone seems to be heating a bit, but not overheating, like feels hot near the camera, but not burning, i guess it's not abnormal ?
    06-05-17 12:41 PM
    thanks, did the hard reset, also uninstalled the keyboard app and reinstalled it ...

well, it seems to go better today, but i'm basically not using the phone ... not sending any text or messages with it ...

18h remaining with 90% of battery, ( 30 mn of SOT ), 17h remaining with 82% of battery ( and 45 mn of SOT ) and removed from the plug 4h ago ...

so ... i will normally reach something like 22h of power up time with 4h of SOT ... my screen on time seems very very low though ...

also, the phone seems to be heating a bit, but not overheating, like feels hot near the camera, but not burning, i guess it's not abnormal ?
    That is most likely where the processor is. It should only heat up while running intense apps while charging.

Personally, I've only experienced it getting warm while using the phone while it's charging. I haven't had it get hot enough to where it was uncomfortable to hold yet.
    06-05-17 01:39 PM

For how long you have set up the synchronization frame of your emails ? If you have set them up to '' for ever'' and you have some thousands of emails like myself it might take a lot of time to finish the synchronization. This might be your battery drain and result the heating experience that you mention.
    06-05-17 04:35 PM
    @fanisk
    i've set up 30 days of email synchronization. so normally shouldn't take that long.
    i mean it's not hot, but i feel it getting a tiny bit hot each time i use it or go out of sleep mode.

anyway,
    so i unplugged around 3 pm yesterday, it's been almost 23hours ( it's 2pm here ), i still have 22% of battery ... and the graphs of the battery management app says i have 6 hours of battery remaining ( which i doubt actually )
    my main concern here is i am at only 2h41 of SOT ... which is ... very low, i basically didn't use much my phone since yesterday, so it feels very frustrating.

idle phone 17 %
    android platform 14%
    android system 7%
    display 6%
    bt 6%
    keyboard : 5%

it's also surprising, i went running for one hour yesterdau using the nike app, ( so using the gps at its full capability ) with no screen on, and it didn't discharge more than if i was using the phone normally ... like even on the curve, the slope stays the exact same ...
    My regret is this very very low sot ...
    Battery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170606-145026.jpgBattery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170606-145019.jpgBattery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170606-145034.jpg
    Last edited by Vince208gti; 06-06-17 at 07:58 AM.
    06-06-17 06:44 AM
    @fanisk
    i've set up 30 days of email synchronization. so normally shouldn't take that long.
    i mean it's not hot, but i feel it getting a tiny bit hot each time i use it or go out of sleep mode.

anyway,
    so i unplugged around 3 pm yesterday, it's been almost 23hours ( it's 2pm here ), i still have 22% of battery ... and the graphs of the battery management app says i have 6 hours of battery remaining ( which i doubt actually )
    my main concern here is i am at only 2h41 of SOT ... which is ... very low, i basically didn't use much my phone since yesterday, so it feels very frustrating.

idle phone 17 %
    android platform 14%
    android system 7%
    display 6%
    bt 6%

it's also surprising, i went running for one hour yesterdau using the nike app, ( so using the gps at its full capability ) with no screen on, and it didn't discharge more than if i was using the phone normally ... like even on the curve, the slope stays the exact same ...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170606-145026.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	73.6 KB 
ID:	424648Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170606-145019.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	77.2 KB 
ID:	424649Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170606-145034.jpg 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	424647
    Are you mainly on wifi or on mobile network ? Myself with that time of SOT I am always at around 50% but I am on wifi nearly all time.
    I suppose that as on all modern phones , if I was on mobile net it would significantly less, unfortunately I haven't tried yet the phone fully on mobile net.
    What is weird that is still present the keyboard at your battery consumption, it has been never on mine on any BB phone, haven't seen it either to any other screen shot from others here in the forums.
    06-06-17 10:55 AM
    @fanisk

anyway,

idle phone 17 %
    android platform 14%
    android system 7%
    display 6%
    bt 6%

I have just seen also on your screen shots that you have open the NFC and the bluetooth, if you keep them on all the time, they are draining a lot the battery as well.
    06-06-17 11:00 AM
    @fanisk

anyway,

idle phone 17 %
    android platform 14%
    android system 7%
    display 6%
    bt 6%

I have just seen also on your screen shots that you have open the NFC and the bluetooth, if you keep them on all the time, they are draining a lot the battery as well.
    06-06-17 11:00 AM
    yeah, i still have the keeyboard app, but way less than before ( I uninstalled it and reinstalled it ), i had the same phenomenon with the priv, i'm wondering if it might be the mutilingual prediction (mine is set to english and french as i discuss and work in both languages ) which could take more processing power ...

for NFC, from my previous experience on priv and passport, it didn't change anything to leave it enabled,
    and for BT, you're right, it's draining some power, but i prefer to leave it on that having to manipulate my phone each time i take my car and drive ( it usually stays in my pocket so i'm not tempted to check on it and drive at the same time )

the trick for that could be to use some NFC tags at home and/or in my car to toggle on or off wifi, BT and such things ...

also i'm on wifi all day at work and at home, only moments i'm on my carrier network for data is when i'm outside, so actually 80% of the time on wifi ...

Battery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170606-181000.jpg
    06-06-17 11:09 AM
    I don't really think that has to do with the multilingual prediction because I have set it absolutely same on mine , also on PRIV before, English and French, so I wonder if this has something to do with the Azerty keyboard that I suppose that you have. ( mine is a querty.
    06-06-17 03:04 PM
    i wouldn't blame the hardware part, because it's supposed to be basically blocks of plastic ... so it shouldn't be a problem ... + the keyboard management app was on the priv too ( but it did consume some battery )

i dunno each time i go out of sleep mode and want to fast answer to a message, it gets laggy for a few seconds, like as if the keyboard app had to initialize and / or that some background processes are lauching each time ...( but it's weird they doesn't appear in the battery monitoring menu )

today i disabled blutooth for trying and NFC, and the influence on battery is close to 0, i unplugged at 6pm yesterday, it is 2:33 pm today and am already under 50% ( 46% ) and i'm under 2h of SOT ...(1h43) so basically, i'm not using my phone, and each time i use it, i feel that the battery is drained ...
    and the calculated remaining time is 17h
    06-07-17 07:34 AM
    i wouldn't blame the hardware part, because it's supposed to be basically blocks of plastic ... so it shouldn't be a problem ... + the keyboard management app was on the priv too ( but it did consume some battery )

i dunno each time i go out of sleep mode and want to fast answer to a message, it gets laggy for a few seconds, like as if the keyboard app had to initialize and / or that some background processes are lauching each time ...( but it's weird they doesn't appear in the battery monitoring menu )

today i disabled Bluetooth for trying and NFC, and the influence on battery is close to 0, i unplugged at 6pm yesterday, it is 2:33 pm today and am already under 50% ( 46% ) and i'm under 2h of SOT ...(1h43) so basically, i'm not using my phone, and each time i use it, i feel that the battery is drained ...
    and the calculated remaining time is 17h
    It doesn't sound right. I posted a screenshot in another thread that had my battery usage - from 6.30am until 2pm (7 1/2 hours), I used just 20%. Now it didn't include a lot of screen on time as I was in a long meeting. But there's a lot of stuff happening in the background - two Gmail accounts, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Exchange email (via Boxer), Pocket Casts and some other minor stuff. I'm on Wifi.

Today I've burned 0.7% in an hour with 3 1/2 minutes of screen on time. So if you're draining more than 2-3% an hour and not doing anything radically different to me, it doesn't sound right.

06-07-17 07:45 AM
    well, when i use the phone, i have around 10% ( or more of the battery drained ... ) per hour, that's why my maximum so far is 4h30 of SOT ... but nothing is like really overheating like on my priv (which never lasted more than 6 - 8 h with me usage ... same for Passport )

i have 4 emails account synchronized ( i deleted one ) 3 exchange, 1 gmail, they also synchronize contacts and notes and tasks if possible. i have facebook, messenger, whatsapp, and textra as messaging apps, and some onedrive picture synchronization each time i'm on wifi ( but everything is synchronized since a few days now )Battery issues with my k1-screenshot_20170607-145927.jpg
    Last edited by Vince208gti; 06-07-17 at 08:17 AM.
    06-07-17 08:00 AM
    well, when i use the phone, i have around 10% ( or more of the battery drained ... ) per hour, that's why my maximum so far is 4h30 of SOT ... but nothing is like really overheating like on my priv (which never lasted more than 6 - 8 h with me usage ... same for Passport )

i have 4 emails account synchronized ( i deleted one ) 3 exchange, 1 gmail, they also synchronize contacts and notes and tasks if possible. i have facebook, messenger, whatsapp, and textra as messaging apps, and some onedrive picture synchronization each time i'm on wifi ( but everything is synchronized since a few days now )Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20170607-145927.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	424696
    This is definitely not normal ! I have also all social media on my phone, sync 3 email accounts every 5 minutes, location always on, no NFC, no BLUETOOTH, brightness set at 30%, disabled most of the vibration and tone notifications.
    I am currently at 40% ,after 36 hours of unplugged use.

However I have seen something weird in a previous screenshot that you have posted, that the bar on the ''awake'' feature is mostly filled and mine is nearly empty.
    I remember from the forums of the PRIV that this was an issue of the battery drain because means that there is always a background work on the phone.
    Perhaps someone else could remember the solution in this or you may search in the Priv forums about (although there are endless threads about battery drain there....)

Otherwise I would suggest a wipe of the phone and set it up again ( I know it will take you 4-5 hours for this but....)
    06-07-17 11:34 AM
    Have you tried using battery saver just to see how much that helps. Like you, i'm not all that impressed with my battery time. It's definitely better but at the end of the day i'm always down to 15% or so. with battery saver, i end up at around 50 percent but that's me not using Maps or Spotify. Any tips on battery saving? I go into battery usage and nothing really stands out as concerning.
    06-07-17 12:04 PM
    It's showing that the biggest battery killer is the OS itself, which isn't the right. Try doing a hard reset.
    06-07-17 12:07 PM
44 12