As I said on another thread, the safest and smartest assumption for TCL-build "BB" phones going forward is ONE major OS update and 2 years of security updates from the launch of the phone - which is essentially what TCL has promised. You might get lucky and get a little more, but chances are you won't, and you should understand that going in and not get all worked up about it.

If longer-term updates are that important to you, choose an iPhone or a Pixel, because nothing else is guaranteed anything.
    phuoc likes this.
    09-13-17 07:17 PM
    "Android P ?" I say call it "Plagerized" when Google/Android finally copies all the cool and innovative features of Blackberry's BB10 that hasn't as yet been done, that or "Potato Chip", cause well you could use a potato to recharge it....remember those science fair potatoes, that and while they're not good for you, they sure are appealing.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-13-17 11:45 PM
    Unless I am missing something this is what I've seen from TCL/BB

Alcatel idol 3 only went from Lollipop to marshmallow

Idol 4 and 4s run marshmallow and still don't have nougat

Same with the DTEK line

Priv I know was not launched from TCL but only went from Lollipop to marshmallow

I'm concerned that keyone won't get up to android p. This is one of the reasons holding me back from purchasing the phone

Posted via CB10
    Most devices life is two years. Flagship devices will see two major upgrades then they move on. Look at how many different pixel devices are out and the device is little over a year old. Google has set the limit of two years it will support ITS devices any hardware over two years old gets dropped. and usually other companies follow suit. It doesn't mean the hardware is obsolete because it's not it's a sales gimmick. They may change a couple things and it's mainly cameras and etc. The keyone should P but who knows with blackberry/ tcl or whatever it is.
    09-14-17 05:32 AM
    "Android P ?" I say call it "Plagerized" when Google/Android finally copies all the cool and innovative features of Blackberry's BB10 that hasn't as yet been done, that or "Potato Chip", cause well you could use a potato to recharge it....remember those science fair potatoes, that and while they're not good for you, they sure are appealing.
    What does that even mean?
    09-14-17 05:37 AM
    Do we know what the Easter egg for oero will be?
    09-14-17 05:43 AM
    Do we know what the Easter egg for oero will be?
    It's an octopus, I believe
    09-14-17 06:12 AM
    people are so demanding!! I only found out about OSs a couple of years ago and I've started thinking about them since joining this site!
    I honestly don't think you're gonna nèed more than Oreo biscuits in the next 4 to 5 years. A Peppermint launch won't stop anyone getting updates till then will they. And that's if you need them.
    09-14-17 06:56 AM
    people are so demanding!! I only found out about OSs a couple of years ago and I've started thinking about them since joining this site!
    I honestly don't think you're gonna nèed more than Oreo biscuits in the next 4 to 5 years. A Peppermint launch won't stop anyone getting updates till then will they. And that's if you need them.
    Don't think it's so much of being demanding, it's when Android users buy top shelf devices they get certain features, updates, and essentially get what they pay for.
    Some of those who left the mainstream devices for the PRIV were under the impression this would be no different being blackberry succumbed to Android. So it's possible that Android users aren't accustomed to the way blackberry does business and treats it's consumers
    09-14-17 07:00 AM
    the average joe knows nothing about OSs and does just fine. Ignorance is bliss.
    FF22 and modifier like this.
    09-14-17 07:12 AM
    What does that even mean?
    Ummm....I don't know....what does it mean to you?
    09-14-17 09:40 AM
    Unless I am missing something this is what I've seen from TCL/BB

Alcatel idol 3 only went from Lollipop to marshmallow

Idol 4 and 4s run marshmallow and still don't have nougat

Same with the DTEK line

Priv I know was not launched from TCL but only went from Lollipop to marshmallow

I'm concerned that keyone won't get up to android p. This is one of the reasons holding me back from purchasing the phone

Posted via CB10
    You're probably correct. I doubt the KEYone will go past Oreo.

I think it's better to forget Android P for the K1, and rather hope they at least do the updates within Oreo e.g. from 8.0 to 8.1 etc...
    09-14-17 12:00 PM
    You're probably correct. I doubt the KEYone will go past Oreo.

I think it's better to forget Android P for the K1, and rather hope they at least do the updates within Oreo e.g. from 8.0 to 8.1 etc...
    Not rock solid it will even see 9.0 either. Yes it's already in dev. But it also looks like they are going to do an 8.1 update then a 1.2 like they did with nougat. 8.1 should be out in a month. It's funny too because they were talking about jumping right to 9.0 without the middle updates like how they just went from 6.0.1 to 7.0 guess the only way to know is to wait and see. Hopefully blackberry/tcl made that phone cheap enough so when it does become worthless in a year or so it didn't cost you a house payment.
    09-15-17 01:06 AM
    No! I want it to be called Peppermint!
    Polo's anyone?
    09-17-17 04:02 PM
    the P will stand for phantom, because blackberry will never see it unless it forces another device down your throat
    09-17-17 08:03 PM
    the P will stand for phantom, because blackberry will never see it unless it forces another device down your throat
    BUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sorry, already taken - see Post 10 of this thread (g)
    09-17-17 08:36 PM
    BUUUUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

Sorry, already taken - see Post 10 of this thread (g)
    It's not the first time I've said it look around
    09-17-17 08:47 PM
    In a world where only about 15% even have nougat on their phones, I think worrying past oreo is quite comical. this phone should be fine for a couple more years. At which point, most people here would have moved on to another phone.
    09-17-17 08:47 PM
    In a world where only about 15% even have nougat on their phones, I think worrying past oreo is quite comical. this phone should be fine for a couple more years. At which point, most people here would have moved on to another phone.
    Attached Thumbnails Based off of history KEYone only gets up to Oreo-17524.jpg  
    09-18-17 11:09 AM
    Do your research and buy a phone you'll be happy with. The most likely scenario for the KEYone is that it gets Oreo between next May and August, then isn't upgraded to P. If BlackBerry Mobile is successful and still releasing phones, the KEYone may be patched up until Oreo is EOL in the second half of 2018.

If BlackBerry Mobile stops selling BlackBerry branded phones, then the updates may stop sooner.

Personally, I'm fine with the above because the phone works so damned well for me compared with the mainstream Android slabs. But each user needs to make an individual decision.

One thing I'll say now...anyone who complains next year that the KEYone isn't getting P will get nothing but derision around here after all the hair pulling and clothes rending over Nougat!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    09-18-17 12:24 PM
    Do your research and buy a phone you'll be happy with. The most likely scenario for the KEYone is that it gets Oreo between next May and August, then isn't upgraded to P. If BlackBerry Mobile is successful and still releasing phones, the KEYone may be patched up until Oreo is EOL in the second half of 2018.

If BlackBerry Mobile stops selling BlackBerry branded phones, then the updates may stop sooner.

Personally, I'm fine with the above because the phone works so damned well for me compared with the mainstream Android slabs. But each user needs to make an individual decision.

One thing I'll say now...anyone who complains next year that the KEYone isn't getting P will get nothing but derision around here after all the hair pulling and clothes rending over Nougat!

Just out of curiosity what is so much better about the keyone? It's an Android phone like any other Android device with exception to the PKB? That version of nougat isn't any different than any other 500$ device?
    You have dtek security other than that it's an Android phone.
    What the bb launcher? It's in the
    Play store and any slab phone as you put it can enjoy the hub and all other blackberry features
    09-18-17 12:49 PM
    Just out of curiosity what is so much better about the keyone? It's an Android phone like any other Android device with exception to the PKB? That version of nougat isn't any different than any other 500$ device?
    You have dtek security other than that it's an Android phone.
    What the bb launcher? It's in the
    Play store and any slab phone as you put it can enjoy the hub and all other blackberry features
    Well, for me the PKB is a huge deal, because I don't have waste screen real estate for a VKB when composing. Also, having 52 physical shortcut keys means I never have to use the Home button and navigate through app shortcuts, which I find to be a huge waste of time. The capacitive PKB makes editing much easier, as it facilitates fine cursor control.

I really like the DTEK app, also. It's easily worth $50 to me. But I agree with you that someone who doesn't care about the PKB probably shouldn't consider the KEYone. The keyboard is the soul of the phone.

09-18-17 03:23 PM
    Well, for me the PKB is a huge deal, because I don't have waste screen real estate for a VKB when composing. Also, having 52 physical shortcut keys means I never have to use the Home button and navigate through app shortcuts, which I find to be a huge waste of time. The capacitive PKB makes editing much easier, as it facilitates fine cursor control.

I really like the DTEK app, also. It's easily worth $50 to me. But I agree with you that someone who doesn't care about the PKB probably shouldn't consider the KEYone. The keyboard is the soul of the phone.

If you want a general purpose Android with BlackBerry software (everything but DTEK) It's readily available for other Android phones. In fact BlackBerry probably makes just as much money whether you use their tools on a BlackBerry or on a Samsung.

09-18-17 03:25 PM
    Honestly I dont know why people get so worked up about the K1 only getting Oreo...Nougat is still very relevant and most apps will be supported for a while and by the time Oreo won't be the newest, you'll prob want a new phone anyway.

The main question is:
    Why is everyone so sure that Oreo or P for that matter will run better on the K1 than Nougat?
    Because it would be gesture based like apple...lol

via Passport OG
    09-18-17 03:45 PM
    Because it would be gesture based like apple...lol

via Passport OG
    Unless you own a pixel you will never even see the difference between the two os

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...Zb0nXQ&ampcf=1
    09-18-17 04:33 PM
    I'm just not seeing the all the hype for a PKB? there's really nothing mentioned here that Gboard doesn't do.
    09-18-17 04:38 PM
55 123