06-06-17 09:47 AM
30 12
tools
    Following up on this:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ption-1110548/

My next step was to get a new SIM card. I did that.

When I got home and tested things, it was actually worse. Speedtest showed 1.66 down and 0.24 up. I even saw EDGE while I stood in my front yard--and I went there because I had about nothing inside.

So I called T-Mobile, and we worked on a new APN. That got me back to where I was before, anyway. EDGE is gone, but I still have very bad signal overall.

And in fact, as I stood in my front yard and watched the LTE Discovery app, I saw--standing in ONE PLACE--the phone bouncing back and forth from 4 bars (LTE Discovery app bars, NOT the bars at the top--people, please read every word and integrate it and stop assuming I'm simply looking at the phone's bars)--from 4 bars of band 12, LTE -93.0 dBm, to one bar--ONE bar--of band 4, HSPA+ -102 dBm to -117 dBm varying.

I will say this again: I saw that behavior while standing in my front yard, not moving. Standing in one place.

My next step is to put the SIM into my V10 and run the same test. Any bets on what happens?

My two V10s always had a tough time of things, but when inside they always grabbed LTE and--when it became available--band 12. With K1 I can't hang onto band 12 while standing in my front yard, to say nothing about the poor behavior indoors.
    06-03-17 02:21 PM
    Why not just update your original thread? No need for two threads with your same issues, but I do hope there is a way to resolve it, not sure what it would be though.
    06-03-17 02:46 PM
    It just seemed important enough to get people's attention.

Anyway: RESOLVED?

So my V10 was reliably getting LTE inside and out; although, it was T-Mobile band 4 at anywhere from -120 dBm (that's an extreme) to -107 dBm. Band 12 didn't show up--maybe a little bit, but not much.

So I went back to my K1, and what do you know. This would be the second reboot after changing the APN, and suddenly I'm in better shape. I'm getting band 4 outside, but the moment I step inside and that goes away T-Mobile serves me up a good dose of band 12 with good signal--somewhere around -102 dBm.

Speedtest inside the house jumped to 18 down, 5 up.

I will spend next week observing the phone around town, as my job doesn't stick me in an office all day.

I strongly suspect this would not resolve without the APN that T-Mobile helped me create. I have to wonder how much the up-to-date SIM contributed as well--it certainly didn't hurt.

I would recommend to anyone having issues, that they ensure that they get an up-to-date SIM card for your carrier, if you don't have one already, AND investigate the APN issue. And don't forget to reboot your phone after changing the APN--maybe even twice.

For the record, here's what I have set up now:

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34255
    06-03-17 03:30 PM
    "FAST" has been the proper APN for T-Mobile for a very long time.

The other important thing is to set both IPv4/v6. I don't know if you'll even GET an address any more if you don't have v6 set up on LTE with T-Mobile; my DTEK60 has never seen a "pure" in-network (not roaming) IPv4 address offer on LTE with their network as far as I am aware of.

"Modern" (last 2-3 year) SIMs from T-Mobile should all come up this way "out of the box." It's been a very, very long time since I've seen a T-mobile SIM that doesn't configure this way on its own.
    06-03-17 03:37 PM
    "FAST" has been the proper APN for T-Mobile for a very long time.

The other important thing is to set both IPv4/v6. I don't know if you'll even GET an address any more if you don't have v6 set up on LTE with T-Mobile; my DTEK60 has never seen a "pure" in-network (not roaming) IPv4 address offer on LTE with their network as far as I am aware of.

"Modern" (last 2-3 year) SIMs from T-Mobile should all come up this way "out of the box." It's been a very, very long time since I've seen a T-mobile SIM that doesn't configure this way on its own.
    The fast.t-mobile.com APN that the SIM card set and that the phone was using initially, was configured slightly differently than what that web page describes. And it wasn't until I made a new one that looked like that web page--and rebooted a couple of times--that all was well.
    06-03-17 04:03 PM
    TCL made antenna choices YOU dislike. YOU do not have to use THEIR product. Whining about "botched" reception does not make YOU entitled to use a better phone. Feel free to launch your own company and products.

Just teasing Adam - I do hope you get it resolved.
    06-03-17 07:45 PM
    I actually have two uneditable APNs set up out of the box and, even after setting up a new one and rebooting, it defaults back to the uneditable one.

06-04-17 12:18 AM
    Those were the two I had, out of the box. I had to create a new one.

As far as I know, mine stays on the new one after a reboot...
    06-04-17 05:31 AM

You might want to check that. After a reboot mine reverts to the GPRS one.
    06-04-17 07:42 AM
    Threads like this make me want to wait and see if their is a carrier version
    06-04-17 07:55 AM

I found that if I APN type empty, then it did not default back to the old APN. I previously had it as internet+mms.
    06-04-17 08:45 AM
    I did some testing on my Mate 9 versus my KeyOne, switching my sim between phones and rebooting in between tests (disregard the middle one on the Mate 9 as I did not reboot). I have smaller pings on my KeyOne, otherwise similar speeds (with one outlier on my KeyOne!). Tests are about 4-6 minutes apart.

Bad reception--update #1-speedcomparison.jpg
    06-04-17 08:54 AM
    Just out of curiosity, are you all on Build AAL093 or something newer? I wonder if some of this is software related.

I imagine a new build should be hitting soon with the June patch.
    06-04-17 09:26 AM
    Just out of curiosity, are you all on Build AAL093 or something newer? I wonder if some of this is software related.

I'm on AAL093.
    06-04-17 09:32 AM

Yes, me too.
    06-04-17 09:42 AM
    You might want to check that. After a reboot mine reverts to the GPRS one.
    Not mine.
    06-04-17 01:05 PM

AAL093 here.
    06-04-17 01:07 PM
    I don't know about you guys, but in Canada - Ontario specifically the Rogers Network seems notoriously bad on LTE outside large areas (toronto)... and the phone will default to LTE even if it's only 1 bar. So the wife and I have disabled LTE to remedy it.

Build AAL483 for what it's worth
    ShredRex5150 likes this.
    06-05-17 06:00 AM
    Following up on this:

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...ption-1110548/

My next step was to get a new SIM card. I did that.

When I got home and tested things, it was actually worse. Speedtest showed 1.66 down and 0.24 up. I even saw EDGE while I stood in my front yard--and I went there because I had about nothing inside.

So I called T-Mobile, and we worked on a new APN. That got me back to where I was before, anyway. EDGE is gone, but I still have very bad signal overall.

And in fact, as I stood in my front yard and watched the LTE Discovery app, I saw--standing in ONE PLACE--the phone bouncing back and forth from 4 bars (LTE Discovery app bars, NOT the bars at the top--people, please read every word and integrate it and stop assuming I'm simply looking at the phone's bars)--from 4 bars of band 12, LTE -93.0 dBm, to one bar--ONE bar--of band 4, HSPA+ -102 dBm to -117 dBm varying.

I will say this again: I saw that behavior while standing in my front yard, not moving. Standing in one place.

My next step is to put the SIM into my V10 and run the same test. Any bets on what happens?

My two V10s always had a tough time of things, but when inside they always grabbed LTE and--when it became available--band 12. With K1 I can't hang onto band 12 while standing in my front yard, to say nothing about the poor behavior indoors.
    My friend bought one, and we used my advance AT&T corporate support. Hours latter nothing, without their updates the phone defaults to general connections to the towers. We live in the suburbs and when we traveled into the city the phone was fine. The AT&T rep did tell us because the phone was not submitted to them, with an AT&T sim it still gets no system updates. If they supported the brand it would. I hope this gets worked out, otherwise the phone is dead on arrival.
    06-05-17 07:52 AM
    My friend bought one, and we used my advance AT&T corporate support. Hours latter nothing, without their updates the phone defaults to general connections to the towers. We live in the suburbs and when we traveled into the city the phone was fine. The AT&T rep did tell us because the phone was not submitted to them, with an AT&T sim it still gets no system updates. If they supported the brand it would. I hope this gets worked out, otherwise the phone is dead on arrival.
    This is either complete BS that they wanted to make you believe, or totally insolent behavior of your carrier.
    06-05-17 08:12 AM
    This is either complete BS that they wanted to make you believe, or totally insolent behavior of your carrier.
    Ok you don't seem to get this, carrier specific updates are not OS updates. They are for how the phone talks to the system.

One other note, the carrier spent hours on this problem and what they said is not BS as you stated. Since you have no idea what went on, please keep that kind of comment to your self.
    06-05-17 11:25 AM
    I don't know about you guys, but in Canada - Ontario specifically the Rogers Network seems notoriously bad on LTE outside large areas (toronto)... and the phone will default to LTE even if it's only 1 bar. So the wife and I have disabled LTE to remedy it.

Build AAL483 for what it's worth
    Thanks interesting, on LTE my signal strength shows -108 dBm 27 Asu which is not good but I haven't had any dropped calls or poor reception on any calls, when I switch to GSM the signal strength improves dramatically to -78 dBm 17 asu

Build AAL483
    06-05-17 11:37 AM
    I had to change the IMEI so my carried thinks I still have my priv and that helped.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-05-17 11:51 AM
    Just my opinion. I don't do a whole lot of streaming and only gaming on my phone. Any web browsing I do is usually on Wifi. To me LTE is a big waste of battery and a huge marketing ploy. As such I've always used and was happy with HSPA+ (despite the increased latencies). Battery on my phone thanks me for this.

In my experience, I believe HSPA+ coverage and reliability is far superior to LTE. YMMV. I'll board the LTE (or successor) train once power and reliability issues are dealt with.

Cheers.
    06-05-17 12:00 PM
    Took some time to wander around with the BB KeyOne and a Samsung S7, both on Rogers in Toronto. Just used Settings / About Phone / Status / SIM for dBm readings. Much of the time the two phones appeared fairly similar, but the KeyOne signal strength tended to jump around a fair bit, and was often 2 to 10 dBm lower. But most of the time the readings were about the same - right from under the tower to near 120 dBm where the signal will drop out on either phone. Not a particularly scientific observation, but hopeful that software fixes on the KeyOne will improve things over time. If Rogers (or whomever is responsible) would enable WiFi calling on this device, that would also be very helpful. I'd guess that rapidly gaining and loosing cell connectivity when the reception is very poor is triggering and end condition / bug somewhere that occasionally leaves the phone off the network for a while. Something else that will hopefully get fixed in the coming weeks / months.
    06-05-17 12:25 PM
30 12