06-11-17 11:43 AM
61 123
tools
    You are comparing a 900 dollar phone to a 550 dollar phone in a benchmark...
    You obviously don't have a K1 in had or you would certainly understand. My Moto Z play and OnePlus 3T both have excellent reception as well and they are $400 phones so your logic is flawed and baseless.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-17 09:00 AM
    Hey guys if you guys take out the sim card, does it go back to default APN setting? I have cricket wireless and this drives me crazy
    06-05-17 09:12 AM
    You obviously don't have a K1 in had or you would certainly understand. My Moto Z play and OnePlus 3T both have excellent reception as well and they are $400 phones so your logic is flawed and baseless.
    Different phones react differently in different situations. The only way you can tell is by finding someone else with a K1 and have him stand in the same spot as you, so you can compare.

I'm afraid I live too far away to be able to test - personally I haven't experienced any reception issues yet (1 week of usage)
    06-05-17 09:16 AM
    Disagreed. Updates are for operating system(s), which comes from the OS developer. Carriers claim to perform 'testing' of OS updates before letting them through to their customers. Some delay updates for months, for no known reason (while already running flawlessly on many other phones from other carriers or unlocked). Carriers may update certain apps (bloatware) that came with their phones. But that is not related to reception quality.
    Such an OS update may sometimes improve reception quality, if the developer of the OS has fixed a bug or found ways to improve certain algorithms. But I strongly disagree that locked phones will always work better. If you limit your unlocked phone to not looking for other networks than your carrier's, you will basically have a phone that is totally identical to a locked one.
    Maybe I did not make myself clear. Carrier updates are not OS updates. They are to tell the phone and towers how to talk to each other very simple. They are never more than a few kbs and are invisible to most people. Also you seem to have issues with carriers, for this discussion we are talking in general and should not allow are own biases to cloud the discussion.
    stlabrat and kbz1960 like this.
    06-05-17 11:28 AM
    Possibly better, but certainly no worse. I used T-Mobile's documented APN settings for the Galaxy S8, and created a new one in my phone per the T-Mobile support rep's instructions.

This type of thing could help with other carriers, yes. It is an issue with non-carrier phones. Carrier phones have all the correct stuff built in.
    was wondering that.. V10 got 4 FDD and4 TDD bands, K1 to way more FDD and same 4TDD bands... look like it is all in the carrier setting.
    06-05-17 11:57 AM
    as mentioned before, the bar indicator for the signal strength is arbitary, even within the same company product. Inside iOS 11: With 'antennagate' a distant memory, Apple switches back to signal bars
    So for those worry about siganal strength, (1) talk to your carrier or provider and see if it is set correctly, (2) forget about the bars on your phone, if you start drop calls, you should worry...IMHO.
    06-10-17 04:58 PM
    as mentioned before, the bar indicator for the signal strength is arbitary, even within the same company product. Inside iOS 11: With 'antennagate' a distant memory, Apple switches back to signal bars
    So for those worry about siganal strength, (1) talk to your carrier or provider and see if it is set correctly, (2) forget about the bars on your phone, if you start drop calls, you should worry...IMHO.
    I wouldn't call the indicator bars arbitrary, but they give you a rough feeling of whether reception/signal ist rather strong or weak. Of course it is not 100% accurate. But if 1 of 5 bars show, there is weak signal/reception. At 5/5, it's strong.

And, if there is constant change between 1 or 2 bars and 'no signal' being displayed by the K1, while all other phones at the same location, with the same SIM, constantly show 1 or 2 bars, and always allow for calls to be made, there is an issue with the K1. At least with the one that I had, and that I returned because of this very problem.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-11-17 08:07 AM
    Just read the dbm numbers... People keep getting caught up on the bars and crap. People aren't morons, they know if they are getting bad signal.
    06-11-17 08:32 AM
    You are comparing a 900 dollar phone to a 550 dollar phone in a benchmark...
    So? Is the more expensive phone price all in the antenna?
    06-11-17 09:23 AM
    I wouldn't call the indicator bars arbitrary, but they give you a rough feeling of whether reception/signal ist rather strong or weak. Of course it is not 100% accurate. But if 1 of 5 bars show, there is weak signal/reception. At 5/5, it's strong.

And, if there is constant change between 1 or 2 bars and 'no signal' being displayed by the K1, while all other phones at the same location, with the same SIM, constantly show 1 or 2 bars, and always allow for calls to be made, there is an issue with the K1. At least with the one that I had, and that I returned because of this very problem.
    what i mean is as arbitrary as to compare to other handsets: as OP indicated using number of bars for comparing reception of V10 vs K1... the example in the link clearly indicated even for the same brand (iphone), the number of bars are not means same signal strength... hopefully, I made myself clear this time.
    06-11-17 09:32 AM
    I'm sitting here in my easy chair setting things up, and if I'm to believe the signal bars and the LTE Discovery app, it's obvious that my K1 has WAY worse reception than my LG V10.

Depending on how this rolls out in the real world, I can see giving up on the K1 and going back to the V10. After all, no amount of PKB can overcome bad cell reception. Cell reception is the core purpose of the device.
    Im with ROgers Wireless and I have had zero issues with reception in fact its pretty amazing.
    06-11-17 11:43 AM
61 123