I agree, i just move from S7 babk to K1 and my calls at home keep dropping or get no coverage! Called Rogers and they didn't provide much support. Not looking good for K1 if you can't use it as a phone.
    06-03-17 07:37 PM
    New SIM didn't help, the reception/antennas suck on this device and I hope this is a software fix but I highly doubt it. I tested it next to my Galaxy S8+ and iPhone 7+. These 2 devices consistently got 30-4mbps down and the KEYone is getting around 12mbps. The upload on the KEYone is 1.17mbps. This just isn't good.
    APN?
    06-03-17 07:37 PM
    APN?
    It's fast.t-mobile.com
    06-03-17 07:47 PM
    It's fast.t-mobile.com
    That's not enough.

The APN that got set up and used when I put my SIM in said that, but it wasn't configured correctly. T-Mobile had me set it up like the Galaxy S8 APN that they've documented, and it fixed things for me.
    06-03-17 09:41 PM
    That's not enough.

The APN that got set up and used when I put my SIM in said that, but it wasn't configured correctly. T-Mobile had me set it up like the Galaxy S8 APN that they've documented, and it fixed things for me.
    APN settings have nothing to do with signal strength. This device has the weakest signal that I've ever seen.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-04-17 12:04 AM
    Mine is just average. Nothing spectacular signal compared to S7.
    06-04-17 01:43 AM
    Is this a similar situation? Tmo system not acknowledging the IMEI of K1 being useable on LTE?

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...t-1110459-new/
    06-04-17 02:20 AM
    APN settings have nothing to do with signal strength. This device has the weakest signal that I've ever seen.
    APN settings have to do with what bands you're receiving.

Absent the correct APN settings, I was limited to bands that exhibited weak reception.

When I corrected the APN settings, for example, the phone switched from a VERY weak band 4 over to a significantly stronger band 12 when I walked inside. Prior to the corrected APN, it wouldn't do that. In fact, the best it would get is HSPA+--and it even went to EDGE. Outside.

The manifestation of this behavior to the human was "weak signal".

Bad APN kills the reception experience. Correct the APN, and have a better reception experience.
    FF22 and stlabrat like this.
    06-04-17 05:29 AM
    Is this a similar situation? Tmo system not acknowledging the IMEI of K1 being useable on LTE?

https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...t-1110459-new/
    No. Once you correct the APN, you should be good to go.

You may even be good to go in stronger signal areas no matter what.

T-Mobile doesn't play the same games AT&T does.
    Tim-ANC likes this.
    06-04-17 05:30 AM
    APN settings have to do with what bands you're receiving.

Absent the correct APN settings, I was limited to bands that exhibited weak reception.

When I corrected the APN settings, for example, the phone switched from a VERY weak band 4 over to a significantly stronger band 12 when I walked inside. Prior to the corrected APN, it wouldn't do that. In fact, the best it would get is HSPA+--and it even went to EDGE. Outside.

The manifestation of this behavior to the human was "weak signal".

Bad APN kills the reception experience. Correct the APN, and have a better reception experience.
    Ok, I'm going to use the APN settings from this online support doc and I'll report back my results.

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-34255
    06-04-17 09:09 AM
    Changing the APN settings had no effect on signal db's. Still hovering between -109 and -120db's.
    06-04-17 09:25 AM
    that sounds like sacrificing reception for battery life and it doesn't sound good
    06-04-17 09:48 AM
    My BlackBerry Passport Silver Edition had pretty good four bars in my house apart from basement. Now am luck to get 1 or 2. Hope this improves
    06-04-17 09:55 AM
    I think I have found the reason why my KEYone has poor cellular reception, I am not holding it correctly.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-04-17 09:57 AM
    I think I have found the reason why my KEYone has poor cellular reception, I am not holding it correctly.
    antenna gate?
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    06-04-17 01:02 PM
    Changing the APN settings had no effect on signal db's. Still hovering between -109 and -120db's.
    Me either--but at least with the new APN I was getting bands that would work. I moved from HSPA+ and EDGE up to band 4 outside and, when that dropped off as I moved inside, band 12.
    06-04-17 01:05 PM
    I'm sitting here in my easy chair setting things up, and if I'm to believe the signal bars and the LTE Discovery app, it's obvious that my K1 has WAY worse reception than my LG V10.

Depending on how this rolls out in the real world, I can see giving up on the K1 and going back to the V10. After all, no amount of PKB can overcome bad cell reception. Cell reception is the core purpose of the device.
    Interesting, the real issue might be the way the phone talks to the system. Since the phone will not get ATT or Verizon system updates. It will not be connected optimally to the towers. Hence the phone is compatible but not optimally compatible.
    06-04-17 02:06 PM
    Interesting, the real issue might be the way the phone talks to the system. Since the phone will not get ATT or Verizon system updates. It will not be connected optimally to the towers. Hence the phone is compatible but not optimally compatible.
    And that seems to be the case. The fix: create and use the APN provided by T-Mobile for the Galaxy S8.
    06-04-17 03:23 PM
    So are you telling you have same reception as your V10 now?

And how did you manage it (details)?

And could this help others on other carriers?
    06-04-17 04:06 PM
    So are you telling you have same reception as your V10 now?

And how did you manage it (details)?

And could this help others on other carriers?
    Possibly better, but certainly no worse. I used T-Mobile's documented APN settings for the Galaxy S8, and created a new one in my phone per the T-Mobile support rep's instructions.

This type of thing could help with other carriers, yes. It is an issue with non-carrier phones. Carrier phones have all the correct stuff built in.
    stlabrat likes this.
    06-04-17 04:20 PM
    This type of thing could help with other carriers, yes. It is an issue with non-carrier phones. Carrier phones have all the correct stuff built in.
    I don't think so.
    I've been purchasing non-carrier phones for as long as I can remember and never had such problems.
    Only the K1 lost signal instantly (in admittedly weak signal areas, but where all other phones that I ever tried worked well: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post12906267 ). APN is exactly as recommended by my carrier.

I'm afraid this is a SW (firmware?) bug (which could be fixed, in theory) or, even worse, a HW design issue (no fix without replacement) of the K1.
    06-05-17 06:32 AM
    I don't think so.
    I've been purchasing non-carrier phones for as long as I can remember and never had such problems.
    Only the K1 lost signal instantly (in admittedly weak signal areas, but where all other phones that I ever tried worked well: https://forums.crackberry.com/blackb...l#post12906267 ). APN is exactly as recommended by my carrier.

I'm afraid this is a SW (firmware?) bug (which could be fixed, in theory) or, even worse, a HW design issue (no fix without replacement) of the K1.
    That's wrong carrier locked always work better, this is because they get system updates. Non carrier in weak signal or single carrier areas will have issues.
    06-05-17 07:42 AM
    That's wrong carrier locked always work better, this is because they get system updates. Non carrier in weak signal or single carrier areas will have issues.
    Disagreed. Updates are for operating system(s), which comes from the OS developer. Carriers claim to perform 'testing' of OS updates before letting them through to their customers. Some delay updates for months, for no known reason (while already running flawlessly on many other phones from other carriers or unlocked). Carriers may update certain apps (bloatware) that came with their phones. But that is not related to reception quality.
    Such an OS update may sometimes improve reception quality, if the developer of the OS has fixed a bug or found ways to improve certain algorithms. But I strongly disagree that locked phones will always work better. If you limit your unlocked phone to not looking for other networks than your carrier's, you will basically have a phone that is totally identical to a locked one.
    06-05-17 08:05 AM
    at least locked phone got correct bands, that optimized by the system. un locked might missing some bands, or operating on the edge of the others... in addition, those bars on top your screen really do not mean that much. read the link I attached before... IMHO.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-05-17 08:25 AM
    New SIM didn't help, the reception/antennas suck on this device and I hope this is a software fix but I highly doubt it. I tested it next to my Galaxy S8+ and iPhone 7+. These 2 devices consistently got 30-4mbps down and the KEYone is getting around 12mbps. The upload on the KEYone is 1.17mbps. This just isn't good.
    You are comparing a 900 dollar phone to a 550 dollar phone in a benchmark...
    06-05-17 08:32 AM
61 123