I'm sitting here in my easy chair setting things up, and if I'm to believe the signal bars and the LTE Discovery app, it's obvious that my K1 has WAY worse reception than my LG V10.

Depending on how this rolls out in the real world, I can see giving up on the K1 and going back to the V10. After all, no amount of PKB can overcome bad cell reception. Cell reception is the core purpose of the device.
    06-02-17 10:04 PM
    Typically the bars aren't really representative and are manipulated by the software so on some devices show more then others.
    app_Developer likes this.
    06-02-17 10:07 PM
    When I first got my PRIV I thought the same thing as I only have one or two bars sitting here but as soon as I make a call it goes full bars!
    06-02-17 10:23 PM
    Yeah, clearly what I've seen so far isn't enough to tell.

And I recognize what you say about the bars; that's why I also looked at LTE Discovery.

I'm not getting LTE. Even when I turn wifi off, the best I get is T-Mobile's "4G" (HSPA+).

And Speedtest is validating what I'm seeing...
    06-02-17 10:31 PM
    Have you actually made a call yet?
    06-02-17 11:05 PM
    Well I already seen some reviews telling the reception is a bit worse than Priv (https://m.androidcentral.com/blackbe...lackberry-priv) but in the end it all depends on local conditions and especially with LTE it depends on band support of device and your local carrier cell... so I guess everyone will experience it differently.
    Last edited by gizmo21; 06-03-17 at 12:05 AM.
    06-02-17 11:52 PM
    Well I already seen some reviews telling the reception is a bit worse than Priv (https://m.androidcentral.com/blackbe...lackberry-priv) but in the end it all depends on local conditions and especially with LTE it depends on band support of device and your local carrier cell... so I guess everyone will experience it differently.
    Remember, I'm comparing it with the same SIM and in the same exact location, down to the inch, as with my LG V10.

So this is not a "it depends" situation. This is pure apples-to-apples. Both the phone itself and the significantly more detailed LTE Discovery app are reporting the same thing: significantly less signal and no LTE capability.

This does not bode well for the TCL product. The core functionality is significantly less.

At this point, I'm not going to be surprised if I put this up on Swappa and stick with my V10. The PKB is great, but who cares if it's just sitting on a non-functional slab.
    06-03-17 06:00 AM
    When I first got my PRIV I thought the same thing as I only have one or two bars sitting here but as soon as I make a call it goes full bars!
    It's a matter of coinsidence.
    06-03-17 06:16 AM
    I noticed a questionable service in our business basement but in two weeks usage with UK version and USA version I haven't dropped a call or had any issues at all. I'm now traveling from Ohio to Chicago then to Maui. So we will see how the next week goes. But so far, so good.
    06-03-17 06:57 AM
    I'm on my way to the t-mobile store to get a new SIM card before I make any decisions. Especially with new phones that have new features, and especially as t-mobile rolls out new radio technologies, the SIM cards get updated to understand all of that and can frequently make all the difference in the world.
    06-03-17 08:26 AM
    I'm on my way to the t-mobile store to get a new SIM card before I make any decisions. Especially with new phones that have new features, and especially as t-mobile rolls out new radio technologies, the SIM cards get updated to understand all of that and can frequently make all the difference in the world.
    Good luck. Would be interesting to know the results with the new sim card.

Posted via CB10
    thekidshop likes this.
    06-03-17 08:29 AM
    Have you actually made a call yet?
    Even on the V10, I use wifi calling here in the house. I haven't turned it off and made a cell call in the house.

I will try that before I head out today.
    06-03-17 08:48 AM
    Give it a whirl, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised
    06-03-17 09:11 AM
    Typically the bars aren't really representative and are manipulated by the software so on some devices show more then others.
    On my BlackBerry PRIV and KEYone the LTE signals shows only two bars yet the SpeedTest application reports LTE data speeds.
    06-03-17 09:15 AM
    On my BlackBerry PRIV and KEYone the LTE signals shows only two bars yet the SpeedTest application reports LTE data speeds.
    yeah, well, I got absolutely ABYSMAL speeds on Speedtest.

Among the phone's display, the LTE Discovery app, and the Speedtest app, everything points to "something's wrong". I'm hoping it's just a SIM card to fix it for me.
    06-03-17 09:42 AM
    I live in a Bermuda Triangle of poor cell phone reception --close to US border in Canada near to Blaine, Washington. I have had to change carriers several times since moving here 3 years ago. Started out on Telus and had weak reception zero to 1/bar. Switched to Bell and it was slightly better. Switched to Wind Mobile due to the cheap plans and it was hopeless with no reception. Then finally got Virgin Mobile due to a great plan, and have used Virgin with the Classic, the DTEK50, various iphones of my husband, and now the KEYone. KEYone is picking up the most bars and consistently is on LTE so the antenna must be better.
    06-03-17 12:04 PM
    If it's worse than the Priv I'm screwed with this phone. I got.one bar in areas of my house where I get 3 bars with every other phone. It also jumps from LTE to 4G constantly if not on wifi.
    06-03-17 12:35 PM
    The LTE bars are completely useless in determining your evaluation of call quality. My Pixel shows one bar or no bars sometimes and the call quality is still perfect.
    People put way too much emphasis on the amount of LTE bars showing and assume less bars means bad reception. Not true at all.
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 06-03-17 at 12:57 PM.
    06-03-17 12:46 PM
    I'm sitting here in my easy chair setting things up, and if I'm to believe the signal bars and the LTE Discovery app, it's obvious that my K1 has WAY worse reception than my LG V10.

Depending on how this rolls out in the real world, I can see giving up on the K1 and going back to the V10. After all, no amount of PKB can overcome bad cell reception. Cell reception is the core purpose of the device.
    https://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile...ked-an-expert/
    It all depends how design set up as indication. If there are two stage amplifier, you might get a weak signal, but not need secondary amp to kick in, etc. It is all relatively speaking as a user indicator, not a solid value IMHO. At least not I am aware of. You are still compare apple to oranges. :-). At least I know LG want you to know the signal is good, and Merc thought it is not great... if you drop calls, or Web signal, the other handset picked it up, then it is the antenna plus amps what ever the design is superior... z30 is great with Para antenna.

Posted via CB10
    06-03-17 12:50 PM
    The LTE bars are completely useless in determining your evaluation of call quality. My Pixel shows one bar or no bars sometimes and the call quality is still perfect.
    People put way too much emphasis on the amount of LTE bars showing and assume less bars means bad reception. Not true at all.
    Please go back and read the ENTIRETY of this thread. I am no NO WAY relying on the information at the top of the screen.

More to come.
    Mike-Mike and Wezard like this.
    06-03-17 02:12 PM
    Remember, I'm comparing it with the same SIM and in the same exact location, down to the inch, as with my LG V10.

So this is not a "it depends" situation. This is pure apples-to-apples. Both the phone itself and the significantly more detailed LTE Discovery app are reporting the same thing: significantly less signal and no LTE capability.

This does not bode well for the TCL product. The core functionality is significantly less.

At this point, I'm not going to be surprised if I put this up on Swappa and stick with my V10. The PKB is great, but who cares if it's just sitting on a non-functional slab.
    I didn't mean it depends in your situation, but it depends in a whole worldwide perspective.

The reception here with my phone in my location could be brilliant, wheras yours is bad - but it's hard to say K1 has a worse reception for everyone. That was my only restraint to those reviews I mentioned.
    06-03-17 02:29 PM
    06-03-17 03:07 PM
    I didn't mean it depends in your situation, but it depends in a whole worldwide perspective.

The reception here with my phone in my location could be brilliant, wheras yours is bad - but it's hard to say K1 has a worse reception for everyone. That was my only restraint to those reviews I mentioned.
    I'm not yet comparing it location to location. I'm staying in one location with one single SIM card on one single provider, and comparing the brand spanking new K1 to an 18 month old V10.

See my update in the other thread.
    06-03-17 03:16 PM
    Please go back and read the ENTIRETY of this thread. I am no NO WAY relying on the information at the top of the screen.

More to come.
    I barely have one bar when i am in my home but I have no issues with making and receiving calls. Unless there is an issue with actual usage of the cellular network there's nothing here to complain about
    akraus88 likes this.
    06-03-17 03:16 PM
    New SIM didn't help, the reception/antennas suck on this device and I hope this is a software fix but I highly doubt it. I tested it next to my Galaxy S8+ and iPhone 7+. These 2 devices consistently got 30-4mbps down and the KEYone is getting around 12mbps. The upload on the KEYone is 1.17mbps. This just isn't good.
    06-03-17 07:00 PM
61 123