I've watched tons of reviews and in nearly every one they always state "this isn't a phone for media consumption. Go for a higher end phone, like the s8, if media is what you wanna use your phone for". Is the Keyone really that bad at handling media?

I had several different Blackberry phones in the past, the last being the Tour which I used until the end of 2012 before I jumped on the Samsung bandwagon. I've been saying for years that I wish Blackberry would release a new phone with a physical keyboard on Sprint, and hey, now my wish has been granted! I'm currently using the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and I'm due for an upgrade at the end of the year and I've been basically drooling over the Keyone since even before it was released.

I do a lot of social media, texting, Youtube, that sort of thing, so I'm not entirely sure the Keyone is right for me. I know about the aspect ratio being weird for Youtube which causes the black bars around videos, but I'm not entirely sure that's a deal breaker for me. Actually went and played around with a Keyone in store a couple weeks ago but still on the fence about it.

I'd love to jump back on the Blackberry bandwagon but not if it means sacrificing the things I like to do on my phone.
    08-21-17 06:37 PM
    I've watched tons of reviews and in nearly every one they always state "this isn't a phone for media consumption. Go for a higher end phone, like the s8, if media is what you wanna use your phone for". Is the Keyone really that bad at handling media?

I had several different Blackberry phones in the past, the last being the Tour which I used until the end of 2012 before I jumped on the Samsung bandwagon. I've been saying for years that I wish Blackberry would release a new phone with a physical keyboard on Sprint, and hey, now my wish has been granted! I'm currently using the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus and I'm due for an upgrade at the end of the year and I've been basically drooling over the Keyone since even before it was released.

I do a lot of social media, texting, Youtube, that sort of thing, so I'm not entirely sure the Keyone is right for me. I know about the aspect ratio being weird for Youtube which causes the black bars around videos, but I'm not entirely sure that's a deal breaker for me. Actually went and played around with a Keyone in store a couple weeks ago but still on the fence about it.

I'd love to jump back on the Blackberry bandwagon but not if it means sacrificing the things I like to do on my phone.
    Phone has issues, but that said it seems to be smoothing out. Stop in a sprint store find out if they have it in stock, and the return policy. Than decide
    08-21-17 06:53 PM
    The phone is fine. I watch loads of youtube videos and use it for work and social media. I didn't charge it after overnight charge on Sunday, woke up now 37 % battery left.
    08-21-17 07:14 PM
    Phone has issues, but that said it seems to be smoothing out. Stop in a sprint store find out if they have it in stock, and the return policy. Than decide
    My KEYᵒⁿᵉ has bee flawless for me.

As far as Android in general is concerned it has issues.

If you're OK with the Android ecosystem and how things are done, or not done, you will love this phone.

Of course I might just be one of the lucky few but it is my opinion that most people who are happy with their device won't post and everybody who is unhappy with a device will.

That's my 2 cents on the subject.
    08-21-17 07:16 PM
    I'm a heavy YouTube viewer, and I look forward to getting a KEYone when it's available here in black with glue. I don't think the screen will be an issue for me.

And performance will be well more than enough for YouTube. With the battery life, you even get to watch more clips.
    Vaughn Mises likes this.
    08-21-17 07:22 PM
    It is perfectly fine for media consumption. So it doesn't have a gigantor 5.5" screen, that doesn't make it unsuitable for media.
    Vaughn Mises likes this.
    08-21-17 07:37 PM

All those reviews that say that are just trying to fill up their articles with something to say. Of course video consumption on a bigger screen is "better" so if that's your #1 thing you cannot live without, then the KEYone isn't for you.. However, my KEYone is more than capable especially with the ridiculous battery life. I use my KEYone as my media machine for music, videos, youtube, and I'd say it improves your social media experience quite a bit! One example is with the keyboard scrolling. My biggest annoyance with my slab devices is accidentally tapping on things in my newsfeed as I was scrolling.

Texting, especially while driving, is a dream because all you need to do is press the microphone button, say what you need to say, then hit send. Or you can use google assistant to do it for you.. OR if you're good at one handed texting, you can text without looking to keep your eyes on the road and safe! (which i used to do.. but now I find the text-to-speech is amazingly accurate!)
    08-21-17 07:44 PM
    I'm a heavy YouTube viewer, and I look forward to getting a KEYone when it's available here in black with glue. I don't think the screen will be an issue for me.

And performance will be well more than enough for YouTube. With the battery life, you even get to watch more clips.
    i agree.. after watching an episode of something I'm always amazed at how my KEYone only went down like 3-4% when on my galaxy S5, it would be down like 15% and hot..

another battery feat was I used google maps for directions and drove for an hour and half while listening to streaming music via bluetooth on Google Play Music the whole way. my Battery was at 100% to start and at the end of the trip I was at 87%.
    08-21-17 07:49 PM
    I think the screen aspect ratio is the main issue for media consumption. It's not a performance issue in my limited experience with the KEYone.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    FF22 likes this.
    08-21-17 08:07 PM

It's absolutely fine with media no issue here! Use device same as you!
    08-21-17 09:50 PM
    The phone is fine. I watch loads of youtube videos and use it for work and social media. I didn't charge it after overnight charge on Sunday, woke up now 37 % battery left.
    I agree with this 100%. I bought the phone expecting to be let down w/ media stuff because of the reviews, and I've been happy with it all.
    08-21-17 09:54 PM
    If you're taking this much time to make a decision, then the phone isn't right for you. All the little inconsistencies will eventually lead to one big inconsistency and you'll probably sell the phone. Take the shortcut and buy something you REALLY like.
    08-21-17 10:15 PM
    If keyboard is your concern, keyone is for you. I can't say the device isn't good for multimedia, it's just the keyboard that taking up some space even when you don't use it.
    08-21-17 11:18 PM
    came from HP Pre3... if I hadn't had Passport & Priv in the interim, I would thing the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is great... alas
    08-22-17 12:16 AM
    KEYone is first and foremost messaging tool so it is perfect for texting and social media. The first two things you mentioned in your post. Watching movies, YouTube is fine just you will not get video on full screen due to aspect ratio I did try one game and it played nicely.
    08-22-17 02:23 AM
    This phone could be my daily for years to come.

Pkb and amazing battery is all I really need.
    08-22-17 05:41 AM
    This phone could be my daily for years to come.

Pkb and amazing battery is all I really need.
    This
    08-22-17 09:09 AM
    im pretty heavy with media on my phone. i watch plex for roughly 4 hours on it and stream music for probably another 3 through bluetooth and get to bed time with roughly 20% left.
    supertom likes this.
    08-22-17 01:05 PM