I hope someone sets me straight (nicely ) but I cannot believe what the BB rep told me. Verify if you need to - 1.877.255.2377 from US - but I called and wanted to know how to backup my K1 like how S8 and iPphone users do. In essence, ALL of their apps, wallpaper - EVERYTHING - is backed up exactly like you have it on your phone so if you lose your device or upgrade or more likely, need to perform a factory reset, all you need to do is log into your account and it will download everything EXACTLY as you have it set. No wasting time in trying to remember apps and icon locations and settings.

Wanting to accomplish the same thing for my k1, I was told it will back up some things but not everything. WHAT GOOD IS THAT . Under Backup & Reset, Backup my data, it states that it will backup (if auto "on") device data wifi passwords and call history and app data but I was told it won't backup ALL data in the same order as you have it set.

I don't know about you but it takes hours and days to adjust apps, shortcuts, ocon location of each,etc. exactly the way you want it. Samsung and iPhone offer it but BB does not.

Come now BB, I still love ya, but really?

I hope someone will definitively tell me the BB rep I spoke with is wrong and an exact backup can occur like on Samsung and iPhone devices.
    FF22 and anon(8679041) like this.
    10-06-17 07:00 PM
    Nah. I can do a restore fairly quickly. At least half of my apps comply with the new Google settings restore implementation, and the rest should follow soon. The problems will quickly be a thing of the past.
    10-06-17 07:12 PM
    Nah. I can do a restore fairly quickly. At least half of my apps comply with the new Google settings restore implementation, and the rest should follow soon. The problems will quickly be a thing of the past.
    How does this help the OP solve his problem?
    10-06-17 09:19 PM
    First off, it's not a "problem" - it's an inconvenience.

Second, part of the post was the complaint/suggestion that BlackBerry should come up with software to do a job that will be taken care of by itself during the next year. This is the part I was responding to.
    10-06-17 09:23 PM
    it doesnt, fact of the matter is android is a mess when it comes to restoring
    10-06-17 09:24 PM
    Look into "automatic restore". It's a new feature than should soon resolve the issue.
    10-06-17 09:26 PM
    First off, it's not a "problem" - it's an inconvenience.

Second, part of the post was the complaint/suggestion that BlackBerry should come up with software to do a job that will be taken care of by itself during the next year. This is the part I was responding to.
    On my screen, you clearly reference problems in the last sentence of your first post. Once again I'm not sure what purpose your text is serving.

This is a legitimate gripe with android and the current collection of Blackberry android devices. Lots of people are looking to this community for solutions. I'm not sure recapping your particular use case of Android is helpful to anyone looking for assistance in backing up and restoring.
    10-06-17 09:30 PM
    Look into "automatic restore". It's a new feature than should soon resolve the issue.
    i understand but soon cant come soon enough, this has plagued android for as long as it has existed unless of course you have a rooted phone but this is something that should have been taken care of years ago.
    10-06-17 09:31 PM
    On my screen, you clearly reference problems in the last sentence of your first post. Once again I'm not sure what purpose your text is serving.

This is a legitimate gripe with android and the current collection of Blackberry android devices. Lots of people are looking to this community for solutions. I'm not sure recapping your particular use case of Android is helpful to anyone looking for assistance in backing up and restoring.
    Yes, it is an issue for some to restore some app settings. But my response is that the issue will be resolved soon and is already well on its way as developers catch up.
    10-06-17 09:33 PM
    i understand but soon cant come soon enough, this has plagued android for as long as it has existed unless of course you have a rooted phone but this is something that should have been taken care of years ago.
    Sure. But here we are. And thankfully the wait won't be much longer.
    10-06-17 09:34 PM
    to put an end to this mayhem the rep you spoke with told you the truth as of right now some things get backed up some dont its a hassle to say the least
    10-06-17 09:37 PM
    to put an end to this mayhem the rep you spoke with told you the truth as of right now some things get backed up some dont its a hassle to say the least
    Thank you for clarifying. All I can say is -- WOW -- how disappointing. No wonder Samsung and iPhone are the industry leaders. Time for BB to wake up. It's things like this that I question why I still use BB.
    10-07-17 12:29 PM
    Thank you for clarifying. All I can say is -- WOW -- how disappointing. No wonder Samsung and iPhone are the industry leaders. Time for BB to wake up. It's things like this that I question why I still use BB.
    dont feel bad im trying to backup thru adb to see if it helps will let you know how it goes.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-07-17 12:35 PM
    That's why some makers provide their own software to accomplish what the op needs. Backup/restore tool on Xperia's is really good too.
    The problem with the Google thing is that you still have to configure at least your user account then download all apps and restore so you need a lot of time and WiFi if you don't need to consume all your data on 4g...
    With an Xperia you need your microsd with a backup copy (or a computer) and some minutes to have all done.
    10-07-17 01:21 PM
    I've been setting up and factory restoring my KEYone weekly for testing, and it takes less than 30 minutes if you are at all conscious of your setup. That includes 60+ apps and 30+ accounts.

Frankly, I think everyone should perform this drill once a year or so to make sure you're not liable to lose anything if your device is destroyed or lost.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    10-07-17 01:32 PM
    I've been setting up and factory restoring my KEYone weekly for testing, and it takes less than 30 minutes if you are at all conscious of your setup. That includes 60+ apps and 30+ accounts.

Frankly, I think everyone should perform this drill once a year or so to make sure you're not liable to lose anything if your device is destroyed or lost.

Great suggestion. I've had my KEYᴼᴺᴱ now for four months. I should try a drill now. Be prepared for a phone emergency.
    10-07-17 01:54 PM

Try that on a Priv or a slower than K1 phone. You can take a sleep in between...
    10-07-17 02:00 PM

Would it be too much to ask you to outline what you do to backup the phone and then how you restore it? I find just getting icons/apps in their former positions can take its time.
    10-07-17 03:57 PM
    If samsung phones can do it and they use android, why can't the K1?
    10-08-17 02:21 AM

You got a way to restore BBM chat history? That's the only thing holding me back from doing a reset to see if I can get the battery to at least last 1 day. I can't lose my bbm history though

Thanks

Posted via CB10
    10-08-17 08:34 AM
    If samsung phones can do it and they use android, why can't the K1?
    GREAT question - I always keep asking myself the same question.
    10-08-17 10:59 AM

I agree testing at least once a year is needed. You say you can restore 60+ apps and 30+ accounts with the current backup --- how? Does that include icon alignment, settings, etc. so it is mirrored?
    10-08-17 11:01 AM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup
    You can use Helium to backup all data on your KEYone. Needs to be connected to a PC to get set up, but it's a fairly straightforward process.
    10-08-17 12:21 PM
    Would it be too much to ask you to outline what you do to backup the phone and then how you restore it? I find just getting icons/apps in their former positions can take its time.
    I am working on that, and will be happy to share it. But I will start by saying that stuff like the position of icons is not part of my process, since those change all the time anyway. I just want the right apps and data available on my phone.

I just put all my apps into folders by type (media, cloud services, etc) and use shortcut keys for the 10 or so I use often. If I have to go to the home screen on my phone more that 1-2 times a day, something is terribly wrong!

FF22 likes this.
    10-08-17 03:53 PM
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ikdutta.backup
    You can use Helium to backup all data on your KEYone. Needs to be connected to a PC to get set up, but it's a fairly straightforward process.
    Does Helium (premium $4.99) allow a full backup/restore of all data and icon location --- in essence, a mirror of that is on device?
    10-08-17 07:12 PM
28 12