I've had enough hiccups after Oreo that I'm biting the bullet and going to perform the "backup and restore" method- that seems to be the first recommendation to post-Oreo issues. I've never done this on Android and I'm frankly - terrified. Please be gentle with my concerns. :-)

In trying to backup via Content Transfer, it took an entire day. Is that normal?

Also, via the attached pic, for Google Backup : Why are contacts waiting to be backed up? Why are photos/videos not sync'd?
    Attached Thumbnails Backup and Factory Restore procedures-77877.jpg  
    10-29-18 10:36 AM
    Just make sure your contacts/email/calendar are cloud-based, your documents/media are on your SD card, and you had Google Backup option enabled.

Then just do the factory reset.
    10-29-18 10:55 AM
    I'm thinking about doing this myself to see if it will resolve the VVM and VoWiFi missing settings menu problems my phone has since the Oreo OTA upgrade. I guess if there is something screwy with what the OTA upgrade installed then a complete wipe and re-install with an autoloader would be required.

Wish they had a restore image in a separate partition on these things, it would make it super easy to reinstall the entire OS if needed.
    10-29-18 11:41 AM
    Just make sure your contacts/email/calendar are cloud-based, your documents/media are on your SD card, and you had Google Backup option enabled.

Then just do the factory reset.
    Email is not a concern. Contacts (per above question) says "Waiting to backup". My contacts are Outlook-based. Am I covered?

Again, per above question- how do I enable Photo/Video sync via Google backup?
    10-29-18 12:39 PM
    Email is not a concern. Contacts (per above question) says "Waiting to backup". My contacts are Outlook-based. Am I covered?

Again, per above question- how do I enable Photo/Video sync via Google backup?
    Forget Content Transfer app.

Make sure Google Photos is syncing all of your desired photos.

If contacts are outlook.com, you're good.
    10-29-18 12:49 PM
    Forget Content Transfer app.
    Isn't this blasphemy? ;-)

Is Google Backup getting my texts messages?
    10-29-18 01:06 PM
    use the photos app to sync them but be aware google drive saves free as reduced density images unless you select full quality which then goes against your 15 gb free... got a lot? look around for some free space... lots are available up to 50gb !!
    10-29-18 02:43 PM
    So I did it... and it is not good. It did bring my contacts over, but my Google backup is not showing as an option under "Choose a backup to restore".... only an older backup that appears to be a Content Transfer backup- may be a google backup. So, I'm not sure how to get my texts, device settings, etc... back....

I logged into my google drive and attempted to d/l the most recent backup I could find. We'll see. But this was definitely not a simple process.
    10-29-18 10:52 PM
    So I did it... and it is not good. It did bring my contacts over, but my Google backup is not showing as an option under "Choose a backup to restore".... only an old Content Transfer backup. So, I'm not sure how to get my texts, device settings, etc... back....
    It's after that. Once you get to the home screen, go to settings, backup.
    10-29-18 10:57 PM
    It's after that. Once you get to the home screen, go to settings, backup.
    Yeah... telling me that beforehand would have saved alot of stress... ;-)

As a linear thinker, I was hoping for a step-by-step process.
    10-29-18 11:16 PM

As a linear thinker, I was hoping for a step-by-step process.
    Yes, conite would not be your one-stop shop for linear thinking. LOL x infinity
    10-31-18 07:35 AM
    Other than that, did it fix whatever problems you were experiencing?
    10-31-18 12:12 PM
    Other than that, did it fix whatever problems you were experiencing?
    In the 48 + hours since:
    - it completely corrected Google Assistant issues
    - the lagging is gone
    - battery life hasn't noticeably improved (I really hoped this would be better)
    - notification/ringones are active again

Some other results after the restore:
    - apps did restore, however no login info came with them (so, I've had fun with the "Forgot password" options in each)
    - app layout did not transfer (not a major deal, but I wasn't prepared to have to put all of my apps back on the screen)
    - MMS didn't restore (SMS did)
    Last edited by tbrogan68; 10-31-18 at 03:07 PM.
    10-31-18 02:26 PM
    restore fixed everything for me. battery life is better. All apps are smooth. Contacts no longer lag. It's like I have a new phone again. I didn't bother reinstalling any backup files other than password keeper as wanted the phone to be fresh.
    11-01-18 11:04 AM
    Yes, conite would not be your one-stop shop for linear thinking. LOL x infinity
    Some people prefer a curve ball over a slider...
    11-01-18 03:19 PM
    Some people prefer a curve ball over a slider...
    Now, YOU are confusing me too!
    11-01-18 03:22 PM
    Crackberry Jedi mind tricks.
    11-01-18 03:23 PM
    Jus'a bit'a yanqui baseball jargon... it works as well as Navajo code talkin' yessiree !!
    11-01-18 03:51 PM