That's super cool I had no idea that it improved the overall sound of the device as well!
    It doesn't improve the quality of the sound. No equalizer does that. But it can boost or reduce the amplitude (volume) of different frequencies to help compensate for imbalances. So you can make poor audio more palatable with an equalizer but you're essentially distorting the sound to compensate for deficiencies in the audio signal path and processing.

If it helps you enjoy your music more, that's great, but you're essentially painting over rust. You can fool yourself if you don't look (listen) too closely!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-06-17 12:06 PM
    It doesn't improve the quality of the sound. No equalizer does that. But it can boost or reduce the amplitude (volume) of different frequencies to help compensate for imbalances. So you can make poor audio more palatable with an equalizer but you're essentially distorting the sound to compensate for deficiencies in the audio signal path and processing.

If it helps you enjoy your music more, that's great, but you're essentially painting over rust. You can fool yourself if you don't look (listen) too closely!

well it's the best solution for most at this point.. lets hope they improve the DAC in the KEYone follow up..

I'm also curious, I see android central really hyped up LG's V30 for having a great DAC.. what are your opinions on that one?
    11-06-17 02:59 PM
    well it's the best solution for most at this point.. lets hope they improve the DAC in the KEYone follow up..

I'm also curious, I see android central really hyped up LG's V30 for having a great DAC.. what are your opinions on that one?
    I haven't listened to it. But, from what i've read it's a legit DAC, so the V30 may be the best mobile phone for audio these days. At least they're trying, which is a lot more than I can say for Qualcomm or Apple.

11-06-17 03:24 PM

The V30 now has the best DAC loaded to a phone - no doubt about that. But one has to still mess around as to which music player to use - as Android normally downsamples.

We can only fully hope that the 'next KEYone' has 'at least' a Wolfson DAC loaded into it
    11-06-17 06:04 PM
    The V30 now has the best DAC loaded to a phone - no doubt about that. But one has to still mess around as to which music player to use - as Android normally downsamples.

We can only fully hope that the 'next KEYone' has 'at least' a Wolfson DAC loaded into it
    Wolfson ran into financial trouble when BlackBerry stopped being competitive and sold itself to Cirrus Logic back in 2014. BlackBerry is no longer interested in the consumer market and will not invest in high quality audio.

11-06-17 09:57 PM
    Wolfson ran into financial trouble when BlackBerry stopped being competitive and sold itself to Cirrus Logic back in 2014. BlackBerry is no longer interested in the consumer market and will not invest in high quality audio.

Oh so that's why i don't see their DACs anymore, it's all Cirrus. Yes, i suspect the same - that they are not really into audio.
    11-06-17 10:10 PM
    I have noticed the Bluetooth quality on my Jaybird X3's are better on the KeyONE than on my LG G6.

I know the DAC is not used with Bluetooth but I'm wondering if K1 has some codecs the G6 doesn't because the difference is noticeably better on the K1
    11-06-17 11:11 PM
    I had returned an original keyone due to audio quality, speaker phone clarity, distortion etc. I received a black edition key one (64gb) and to my surprise the audio quality on this unit is a 100 times better. could have been a bad unit earlier or some different hardware in the black edition, not sure but welcome surprise.
    FF22 likes this.
    12-10-17 09:59 PM
    i have used V20, and G6, and also onkyo CMX1. Three of them are considered the top for audiophile phone. I have to say, while keyone certainly won't beat those 3, the audio quality is really not really bad either. I have used phones with far worse audio quality than the black keyone i am using now. There are worse options out there, for which, i won't even be able to stand listening to it for more than few minutes. Black keyone is certainly above average, imho.
    12-10-17 11:10 PM
    Noozxoide Eizo rewire app (free) in Play market does not require root and improves sound quality without external DAC.
    12-11-17 11:05 PM
    It's not a coding issue. What determines sound quality is the following:

-- quality of the Digital/Analog conversion chip (DAC)
    -- quality of audio amplifier
    -- quality of all wires and connections in the analog path, including the headphone jack
    -- Minimizing radio frequency (RF) interference within the device (This is very complex and affects the entire design.)
    -- Ensuring consistent current and clock timing for the entire device

All of these optimizations require the talent of audio engineers in order to balance the tradeoffs intelligently, and virtually no mobile phone makers do a good job of it, though Sony comes closest, as they have that talent in house. BlackBerry used to be the best, and by a wide margin, but that ended with the Passport.

And what about the Marshall phone ?

Posted via CB10
    12-13-17 01:00 AM
    I often listen to music in the car via a cheap Bluetooth adapter plugged into the aux socket in the vehicle and all is good, the other day the adapter went flat so I hardwired phone to aux socket and difference was astonishing in a bad way very quiet and flat sounding using cable.
    12-13-17 01:14 AM
    I often listen to music in the car via a cheap Bluetooth adapter plugged into the aux socket in the vehicle and all is good, the other day the adapter went flat so I hardwired phone to aux socket and difference was astonishing in a bad way very quiet and flat sounding using cable.
    turn on the equalizer. It won't make the audio signal better, but it will make it sound 100x better. Google Play Music --> Settings --> Equalizer and select your desired presets and adjust the bass you want and VOILA!
    12-13-17 11:55 AM
    turn on the equalizer. It won't make the audio signal better, but it will make it sound 100x better. Google Play Music --> Settings --> Equalizer and select your desired presets and adjust the bass you want and VOILA!
    Equalizer is on, what I was trying to say was that quality through Bluetooth was a lot better than through headphone jack
    12-14-17 12:32 AM
    The gsmarena results with headphones indicate, the audio quality parameters are comparable to any of HiFi equipment (limited to human hearing capabilities)/ flagship phones / BB Passport except Dynamic range, which will practically result into lower volume / loudness than the comparison in the chart. Hence the volume level will further reduce if higher impedance (like 100 ohm , 250 ohm ...which need separate amplifier ) headphones is used (gsmarena tests with 32 ohm headphones). I have cross-checked the audio results of many phones (as hobby ) of gsmarena , found very accurate. Further ketone has excellent frequency response graph from 20Hz to 20 kHz , if you use good in ear phone , expected to get deep bass also.
    Many phones outperform many parameters but they fail at IMD + Noise like Samsung A series, OnePlus one , two.....six, Mi Mix2, many Sony phones. Some like first Motog, motox fail at low frequency response below 50Hz.
    However audiophiles may not like the info that almost all phones (except most of Vivo , upto samsung S3, meizu., Iphones .etc) sound is processed at 48kHz , no more 44.1kHz. Good news is that now software resmapling quality and hardware power is so high , on board Qualcomm chip is able to compete dedicated DACs, if properly implemented, (audiophile results can be achieved) examples are Samsung galaxy S4 onwards, Samsung note 4 onwards, highly acclaimed BB Passport, Mi 5, Mi 6, Redmi 2, Redmi 3 etc all are with 48kHz . I suspect LG g6 LGv30 with additional spl DACs also process at 48 kHz , some body may correct me. If you are a audiophile , you may check test results at gsmarena carefully ( it doesn't mention at what frequency they have checked). Now a days audiophiles are demanding dual frequency 44.1kHz and 48 kHz phones like MiNote on web.

But in reality , in my subjective listening with Sennheiser earphone and subsequent RMAA testing, I got poorer result than GSMarena,

( Redmi Note 4 was better and as per gsmarena test results , but Intermodulation distortions are higher in case of keyone)

Hence I have re tested blackberry keyone special Edition on Windows xp , M-Audio Revolution 5.1 ASIO and found all audio parameters are good with bundled blackberry earphones and at volume at 95% but with Sennheiser 16 ohm in ear phones the imd increases from 0.05 % to 0.18 and if volume is increased to 100% it reaches 0.8%

Hence I expect it performs well with earphone or headphone with impedence from 32 to 64 ohms upto 95 % of phone volume
    Last edited by KNReddy; 10-11-18 at 11:37 PM. Reason: Additional info
    FF22 likes this.
    05-13-18 10:43 AM
    Thanks for the tip. I don't use Google music and actually use the apple music app and Spotify offline modes. I tried adjusting the eq on Spotify alone and it didn't sound great at all. It reduced the volume of the sound when switching anything other than flat. Didn't realise the Google music eq settings worked system wide. Sounds a lot better and much louder through both apps now. Much happier
    05-13-18 05:33 PM
    KZ AS10 + Keyone + Tidal = eargasm
    09-29-18 02:04 PM
67 123