Interesting article in the Globe and Mail. My question I wonder is, are all the facts correct about the security of the KeyOne compared to the Samsung phones?

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/repo...ticle35840810/

Posted via CB10
    07-31-17 07:41 AM
    The article only says that Samsung Knox has been approved for use. No mention was made of BlackBerry Android.

It did say they would be phasing out BB10 though, which makes sense.

UPDATE:

From Post News: BlackBerry UEM software will continue to be used as the back end infrastructure, and the door remains open to BlackBerry Android devices once they have completed testing.
    Last edited by conite; 07-31-17 at 08:43 AM.
    07-31-17 07:50 AM
    So would the KeyOne pass the same Canadian government security requirements as the Samsung phones? I guess the answer to that is that the Canadian government has yet to do the required tests?

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DrEd14; 07-31-17 at 07:14 PM.
    07-31-17 07:56 AM
    I couldn't say since I couldn't read it! Subscribers only! lol My guess would be that yes the KEYone passes but that the particular agency in the article choose Samsung who also passed. Some US governments are going with Samsung or Apple also.
    07-31-17 08:00 AM
    The need for a subscription is pain. If you want to go to the bother, you can download the free Globe and Mail app and can get access to it that way.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DrEd14; 07-31-17 at 09:06 AM.
    07-31-17 08:07 AM
    thread title is misleading. as pointed out above there is no mention of BlackBerry. Your interpretation of the article incorrect.
    Gigolo69 likes this.
    07-31-17 11:31 AM
    If you guys look further into Samsung Knox, you'll find out that Samsung Knox is Samsung licensing the use of BlackBerry security software.. so Knox is rebranded Blackberry software with Samsung tweaks.
    07-31-17 11:40 AM
    I couldn't say since I couldn't read it! Subscribers only! lol My guess would be that yes the KEYone passes but that the particular agency in the article choose Samsung who also passed. Some US governments are going with Samsung or Apple also.
    If you use Chrome, open in In Cognito mode and voila!
    pkcable likes this.
    07-31-17 11:47 AM
    If you guys look further into Samsung Knox, you'll find out that Samsung Knox is Samsung licensing the use of BlackBerry security software.. so Knox is rebranded Blackberry software with Samsung tweaks.
    Its a mixture of Samsung, BlackBerry, Intel and McAfee actually.

Knox is implemented at hardware and software, and take note that Samsung make a lot of their own components from Memory chips, Memory Controllers, LTE Modems, CPUs incl. Their own CPU cores, etc etc...

Samsung can bake Knox deeper than BB ever could've wished to.

This is why I say, when getting a Samsung, go for Exynos, not only is it their own SoC with their custom Cores, you also get their own Modem, without all the major security risk that comes with Qualcomm and Broadcom stuff.
    07-31-17 11:55 AM
    If you're on BB10 still, the Reader mode (which I've never really used before, not too sure of the exact purpose though) allowed me to read the article without a subscription. I assume this may work on other browsers on other platforms with a reader mode.

In response to the article, it's too bad they didn't certify the PRIV/DTEK50/DTEK60/KeyOne first though, but it sounds like those will come.

Posted via CB10
    07-31-17 12:35 PM
    bummer!!! You have to sign up in order to be able to read it!? Not impressed!!!
    07-31-17 01:05 PM
    Only info I found stated that Samsung worked with Blackberry to make BES capable of managing KNOX enabled devices - as at that time many GOVERNMENT agencies that had BES were migrating to other devices but didn't want to change their management software. Nothing stated that KNOX used any BlackBerry technology - neither has Chen ever mentioned any licensing deals that brought BlackBerry a part of every KNOX device sold.
    app_Developer and cribble2k like this.
    07-31-17 03:27 PM
    Only info I found stated that Samsung worked with Blackberry to make BES capable of managing KNOX enabled devices - as at that time many GOVERNMENT agencies that had BES were migrating to other devices but didn't want to change their management software. Nothing stated that KNOX used any BlackBerry technology - neither has Chen ever mentioned any licensing deals that brought BlackBerry a part of every KNOX device sold.
    Correct. Knox itself does not rely on BlackBerry.
    Last edited by conite; 07-31-17 at 04:59 PM.
    07-31-17 04:06 PM
    About that paywall: https://pastebin.com/VrPais9h

Or for a tl;dr, the Canadian government is planning on introducing Samsung Knox-equipped S7s and S8s to eventually replace the BB10/BBOS devices currently growing mold that they've been distributing until now, with BES/UEM/whatever it is now running the whole show as it was before. This comes after Samsung demonstrated that their phones could pass the battery of certifications required by agencies like CSIS (compare to NIAP, which is a NSA-managed program). Where the OP got his title from is probably this line:
    While BlackBerry no longer manufactures phones, new Android-based BlackBerry devices are still being built through licensing partnerships with groups such as China’s TCL, which recently released the BlackBerry KeyOne. "Other devices that meet Government of Canada Security Standards will be considered for use," [Shared Services Canada spokesman Adam] Blondin said, leaving the door open to Android-backed BlackBerrys making a return to Ottawa’s halls of power. That said, BlackBerry confirmed that the software security on its Android-backed phones does not currently match the standard of its final update to BB10.3.3.
    p1800nut likes this.
    07-31-17 04:26 PM
    Samsung Knox, Apple and #BlackBerry Android Priv, Dtek and Keyone have made it to the classified list.

Blackberry Priv, Dtek and Keyone have made it to the Secret List. Mostly due to the more regular update cycle.

Certain other phones with predictive Analytics and other measures which can be quite destroying are used for higher grade security levels.
    07-31-17 04:55 PM
    Of course they're more secure. They actually update their phones.

6.0 is not as secure as 7.0. Until BlackBerry updates all their devices, they're not as secure. Only the Keyone would be, but i think some buyer might have paid attention at all the screens falling off.

Not to mention that TCL is a Chinese company, it's not BlackBerry anymore and the Canadian Government has no relation to Chinese companies.

However, Korea is an ally.

BlackBerry made the decision to stop making hardware, and so we'll behind to hear these news very often, as more companies have to source hardware from other manufacturers.

TCL has never been on the government procurement list. Why would that change?
    07-31-17 05:03 PM
    TCL has never been on the government procurement list. Why would that change?
    It's about to....
    Bbnivende likes this.
    07-31-17 06:09 PM
    wondering what going to happen since BBM is TCL only... the hardware embedded security would be a concern, since china had prior issue of BLU phone chip that sending data back home... BB hand over design control to BBM, that will be a security concern, consider the geolocation that had prior event (difficult to detect, if it is embeded in chip level...).
    08-01-17 03:55 AM
    My Verizon Galaxy got the July update last month and this morning I got the August update.... I "think" Samsung is serious about improving their enterprise business.
    08-01-17 07:05 AM
    Here is yet another article, this time from the National Post. BlackBerry defended themselves sighting only their software relationship though. This makes sense since that is the main path the company is taking. You would think (and hope) that either BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile would use this opportunity though to bring up the KeyOne and to say they are working with the Canadian Government to make the KeyOne available for those government workers that want Android and a physical keyboard (at least I hope they are!!!!!). Bringing up the KeyOne in such articles would also be a chance to get in some good marketing .

http://business.financialpost.com/te...3-6988a1f89dca

Posted via CB10
    08-01-17 12:50 PM
    Here is yet another article, this time from the National Post. BlackBerry defended themselves sighting only their software relationship though. This makes sense since that is the main path the company is taking. You would think (and hope) that either BlackBerry or BlackBerry Mobile would use this opportunity though to bring up the KeyOne and to say they are working with the Canadian Government to make the KeyOne available for those government workers that want Android and a physical keyboard (at least I hope they are!!!!!). Bringing up the KeyOne in such articles would also be a chance to get in some good marketing .

BlackBerry defends relationship with feds after Ottawa selects Android and iOS devices | Financial Post

Posted via CB10
    How many government workers are asking for a PKB?

For Governments and Corporations it's about security and management.... while providing a platform that allows for the tasks needed by the company. Problem for BlackBerry devices (now BlackBerry Mobile) there has been a long period of uncertainty, and during the last round of testing and decision making BlackBerry wasn't a viable option. For this market, it will take time to show that they are an option again. Problem is how to stand out....
    DreadPirateRegan likes this.
    08-01-17 03:03 PM
    The article only says that Samsung Knox has been approved for use. No mention was made of BlackBerry Android.

It did say they would be phasing out BB10 though, which makes sense.

UPDATE:

From Post News: BlackBerry UEM software will continue to be used as the back end infrastructure, and the door remains open to BlackBerry Android devices once they have completed testing.
    Well if samsungs can be rooted and blackberry's not, Knox can be turned off blackberry's, no root, no deletion of secure apps so this article is spotty at best... Blackberry is king of security with BB10 and king in the android world as well, imo. To my knowledge no blackberry_android phone been rooted, ever?....

"Phasing out BB10 means it will still work as its been working until the JB run time starts to fail as in not just suddenly stop like a lithium battery drill on day, I hope!" LOL...

Posted via CB10
    08-01-17 03:07 PM

For Governments and Corporations it's about security and management.... while providing a platform that allows for the tasks needed by the company. Problem for BlackBerry devices (now BlackBerry Mobile) there has been a long period of uncertainty, and during the last round of testing and decision making BlackBerry wasn't a viable option. For this market, it will take time to show that they are an option again. Problem is how to stand out....
    It's funny though in tv shows and movies with government even in 2017 they often have a main government guy who has a blackberry Porsche Or Q10, etc...

I heard allot of folks carry an iphone and a 9900 still...

Love the passport, it's addicting.. wish they made a dual boot one but I know that's only a dream. Love 1:1. This year LG is making wider screens so we shall see where they take us... not all slabs in the near future from what I read..

Posted via CB10
    08-01-17 03:10 PM

What you say is true. BlackBerry Mobile is somewhat new in the world of smart phones.
    My point is that the news out there is that BlackBerry does not make phones anymore, and people think they are now nonexistent. It is not the issue of how many government workers want physical keyboards, it that they don't have a freaking clue that a Android BlackBerry phone would be available to them (granted, the KeyOne may never get the government approval, who knows!?!). BlackBerry should use every opportunity to let people know - yes we do not build phones in house, but we have an excellent phone with BlackBerry Mobile and we are working with the Canadian government to make them available to employees who want Android with BlackBerry features (physical key board, Hub etc.) and for the general population as well. This is a point that also needs to be communicated when they are pushing how great their software is. They came up short in both the Globe and Mail article and the National Post.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-17 04:25 PM
    What you say is true. BlackBerry Mobile is somewhat new in the world of smart phones.
    My point is that the news out there is that BlackBerry does not make phones anymore, and people think they are now nonexistent. It is not the issue of how many government workers want physical keyboards, it that they don't have a freaking clue that a Android BlackBerry phone would be available to them (granted, the KeyOne may never get the government approval, who knows!?!). BlackBerry should use every opportunity to let people know - yes we do not build phones in house, but we have an excellent phone with BlackBerry Mobile and we are working with the Canadian government to make them available to employees who want Android with BlackBerry features (physical key board, Hub etc.) and for the general population as well. This is a point that also needs to be communicated when they are pushing how great their software is. They came up short in both the Globe and Mail article and the National Post.

Posted via CB10
    That's up to BlackBerry Mobile.

BlackBerry itself wins more with ongoing UEM licences - so whatever makes the user happy, makes BlackBerry happy.
    08-01-17 04:39 PM
31 12