Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
02-15-19 09:16 PM
57 123
tools
    I have the Blackberry Keyone. I have had this phone for 2 weeks I think now. I can't smooth out the problems. So here is my latest:

Apps do not close upon exit. They all stay open. I think I have closed an app, later I find it hanging open along with every other app I have used. Web pages, timers, tasks, photos, text messages, Blackberry Hub. You name it and it will NOT close when I exit the app. I have tirelessly searched the settings, I have searched in the help guide, and I have searched this forum. Blackberry customer service has become increasingly unhelpful the more questions I email them with. Please for the love of God help me! Here are several questions. May as well kill 3-4 birds with one stone right?

Is there a way to have apps close upon exit?

Is there a way to change the screen saver?
    (It is a clock which can be analog or digital I set it to colors, but that only becomes the screensaver when the device is charging, I would like it to be my main screensaver. I can find no way to do this.)

Is there a way to go directly to my list of timers?
    (Currently when I want to view my timers it takes me to alarms.)

Is there a way to select which keys control volume?
    (Currently the volume is located on the side of the phone. I am ALWAYS accidentally turning the ringer off because it's right there where my fingers rest when picking up the phone or holding it. I would like to stop turning off the ringer unintentionally.)

I know these are a lot of questions/problems. I have tried to find these answers on my own, but I have been unable to solve these problems. Anyone who can answer even just a single question will have my gratitude. Thank you in advance!
    02-14-19 08:55 AM
    1) Yes. You'll need to activate the Developer Options, then look for a setting called "Don't keep activities". With this enabled, it will terminate whatever you're in every time you close it. Warning: You'll likely not like this, and it defeats the purpose of how Android manages its memory. This will not affect any unclosed tabs you have in the browser since that's saved as "cache".

2) You can. Only certain apps will work with it since it's not a widely used feature. You should find it in the Display settings called either Daydream or Screen Saver. You can set it to when it will appear, such as only when charging, after screen timeout, or not at all.

3) You should be able to ask Google Assistant to show you your list of timers. Personally, I use an app called Timely which syncs across my devices and it's a simple swipe left or right to see my timers or use the stopwatch. I really like the widget too, and it has an alarm sound that doesn't make me rage in the morning!

4) Unfortunately, no. We're stuck with those volume keys where they are and they cannot be remapped.
    02-14-19 11:12 AM
    First, thank you for taking your time to dispense this information to me. It is a huge help.

I really hate having to sit there closing some endless string of apps. So Maybe I'll try this and see how I like it. If it turns out to be something I don't like I will change it back. It's nice to know this option exists.

The screen saver option is there. I set it to"colors". The only options there are news and weather, clock, colors, and photos. I see no options that you mention, so maybe they are not available. Good to know though, so now I can stop searching for that.

I can see my list of timers, just not at the touch of a button as I would like. I have to go to alarms, then select timers. I do not use Google Assistant. I despise voice operated apps. But also, good to know I can't just hit a button. I will stop searching for that as well if it isn't a possibility.

I can't be the only one who hates the volume keys being right there. I am sure other people have had the same complaint. It's a shame we can't change it up. Oh well. Such is life!

Thank you again! You helped out quite a bit here.
    02-14-19 12:50 PM
    Just a note that “don’t keep activities” will probably also increase your battery drain in most cases. It’s helpful when developing apps but I really question why you’d want this as a user?
    02-14-19 06:16 PM
    I find it to be an inconvenience to have to stop and close a massive string of apps. I don't want them to stay open, I want to be able to exit and have them close when I am done with them.
    02-14-19 07:04 PM
    I find it to be an inconvenience to have to stop and close a massive string of apps. I don't want them to stay open, I want to be able to exit and have them close when I am done with them.
    But why do you want them closed? It’s wasteful to keep opening them. If you let the OS manage the processes for you it’s less work for you and for the phone.
    02-14-19 07:25 PM
    Does it matter? They are in my way. If it's the calculator for example I have to clear out whatever is still hanging out there before I can use it again. The same goes for all of them. It's a general pain in the neck.
    02-14-19 07:41 PM
    i dont think you are using your phone correctly. You never have to close out anything. Post a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    02-14-19 08:21 PM
    i dont think you are using your phone correctly. You never have to close out anything. Post a screenshot of what you are seeing?
    Here is what I have . EVERYTHING stays open in this screen. I could keep scrolling down for several pages with all this junk open, and exactly how It was when I tried to exit and close. There is no option to close upon exit.
    Last edited by hgdfiuwgeifhwe; 02-14-19 at 08:41 PM. Reason: Clarity
    02-14-19 08:39 PM
    Here is what I have . EVERYTHING stays open in this screen. I could keep scrolling down for several pages with all this junk open, and exactly how It was when I tried to exit and close. There is no option to close upon exit.
    How do you exit an app? With the back arrow or the circle?

If you exit with the back arrow, the app will close. If you use the circle, it will stay running.
    hgdfiuwgeifhwe likes this.
    02-14-19 08:51 PM
    How do you exit an app? With the back arrow or the circle?

If you exit with the back arrow, the app will close. If you use the circle, it will stay running.
    If I exit with the arrow it takes me to the home screen and the app remains open on this page.

JUST tried exiting using the circle... THAT seems to be closing the stuff... on second glance none of these are closing anything. I was mistaken.
    Last edited by hgdfiuwgeifhwe; 02-14-19 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Update info
    02-14-19 09:03 PM
    It's no different than BB10 or iPhone. If you hit the O to return to the home screen, the app becomes available on your recent screen.
    Last edited by conite; 02-14-19 at 10:00 PM.
    02-14-19 09:49 PM
    If I exit with the arrow it takes me to the home screen and the app remains open on this page.

JUST tried exiting using the circle... THAT seems to be closing the stuff... on second glance none of these are closing anything. I was mistaken.
    You're looking at your "recent apps" screen. Don't go there if you don't want to see them.
    02-14-19 09:50 PM
    Have not used either, so I wouldn't know anything about them.
    02-14-19 09:56 PM
    That is not a solution Ambassador. I am going to try what psychotic mentioned.
    02-14-19 09:56 PM
    That is not a solution Ambassador. I am going to try what psychotic mentioned.
    That's not recommended AT ALL. It will mess up the entire notification system for the apps you force close.
    02-14-19 10:00 PM
    We will see.
    02-15-19 03:25 AM
    Hi. Why not just press clear all? This removes all open apps.
    CrackPriv and Sigewif like this.
    02-15-19 06:39 AM
    Because it doesn't clear them all. It takes me back to the homescreen leaving all open apps still open. If there is a clear all feature I have yet to see it. I do not assume at this point that I know anymore than anyone else and i am completely open to being dead wrong and redirected. Please enlighten me. Thank you!

Editing to say that I went to the screen with all recent apps open and hit the square key. This toggles through the apps. I then hit the round key which took me to the home screen. I hit the square key again which took me back to the open apps. Then hitting the triangle key took me back to the homescreen, the square key again took me back to open apps. If that helps.
    Last edited by hgdfiuwgeifhwe; 02-15-19 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Clarity
    02-15-19 07:28 AM
    Because it doesn't clear them all. It takes me back to the homescreen leaving all open apps still open. If there is a clear all feature I have yet to see it. I do not assume at this point that I know anymore than anyone else and i am completely open to being dead wrong and redirected. Please enlighten me. Thank you!

Editing to say that I went to the screen with all recent apps open and hit the square key. This toggles through the apps. I then hit the round key which took me to the home screen. I hit the square key again which took me back to the open apps. Then hitting the triangle key took me back to the homescreen, the square key again took me back to open apps. If that helps.
    Clear All removes all shortcuts on the recent screen. Again, these apps are NOT open.
    hgdfiuwgeifhwe likes this.
    02-15-19 07:58 AM
    Thank you for pointing that out. This does indeed clear them all, BUT how do I keep them from staying open in the first place? I appreciate your input. I am going to assume that what psychofox mentioned may be the only way we have of doing that. If I try that and it goofs something up then I will undo it, or do a factory reset if necessary.
    Before this I had the Blackberry Classic. The ONLY reason I got this key1 is because I dropped the classic and busted the screen. The classic did have some apps that remained open but not the way this thing keeps it all open. So it was a different thing with the classic really. Not as irritating as this. At any rate, I think I will just get the old phone fixed and use this as more of a planner than my go-to phone. I find too many problems with this thing. Never has a device caused me so much frustration or made me feel more stupid.

Thanks to you and everyone else who stopped by to lend a hand.
    02-15-19 09:06 AM
    Thank you for pointing that out. This does indeed clear them all, BUT how do I keep them from staying open in the first place?
    They are NOT open. They are recently opened apps being displayed on your recently opened apps page.

If you don't want to see your recently opened apps, don't look at your recently opened apps page.

I'm so confused.
    02-15-19 09:08 AM
    This is simple. I do not want them all staying open in that screen. If it were just some limited number say, 4 or 5 apps that would be fine. But EVERYTHING stays open. Anyhoo, I am considering the case solved. I appreciate your time and effort here. I am sure someone else will happen by with the same questions I had and this will also help them. Thanks again, and have a nice weekend.
    02-15-19 09:24 AM
    This is simple. I do not want them all staying open in that screen. If it were just some limited number say, 4 or 5 apps that would be fine. But EVERYTHING stays open. Anyhoo, I am considering the case solved. I appreciate your time and effort here. I am sure someone else will happen by with the same questions I had and this will also help them. Thanks again, and have a nice weekend.
    And why you don't close apps in the recent apps with the X or with the side gesture?
    It always worked for me, I use the swipe to close app never the back arrow.
    And since you are there, check you blackberry app and uncheck apps you don't want automated, so will be indeed closed when you close them with the X or the swipe gesture.
    02-15-19 09:32 AM
    And since you are there, check you blackberry app and uncheck apps you don't want automated, so will be indeed closed when you close them with the X or the swipe gesture.
    Now THERE'S some meat. Let me go do that and see what happens...... ****while you wait listen to some elevator music***** Okay, i do not see where I can uncheck apps that I do not want automated. Where in settings will I find this? I went to settings>apps there was no option and opening individual apps also did not have that option.
    02-15-19 10:18 AM
57 123