My Keyone is my daily driver. Love the heck out of it. But apps keep shutting down on me I don't know if it's the andriod OS or the fact that the Keyone can't keep up with the workload. In middle of writing an email my phone freezes. Opening google takes forever etc... my phone is my job I need it to be on point all times. But it's getting harder everyday to do the simplest tasks on my Keyone. (FYI my phone froze writing this for about 20seconds)
    01-15-18 12:42 PM
    My Keyone is my daily driver. Love the heck out of it. But apps keep shutting down on me I don't know if it's the andriod OS or the fact that the Keyone can't keep up with the workload. In middle of writing an email my phone freezes. Opening google takes forever etc... my phone is my job I need it to be on point all times. But it's getting harder everyday to do the simplest tasks on my Keyone. (FYI my phone froze writing this for about 20seconds)
    Have you installed any new apps?

Have you cleared the CACHE? Main Settings, Storage, Internal Storage, Cache (wait for it to settle), and hit Cache to clear it.
    01-15-18 02:49 PM
    After clearing the cache, I've seen it recommended to hold the power button for 32 seconds and ignoring all sounds/flashes the phone makes.

Haven't ran into any slowdowns myself, but it usually comes from either a bad app or large cache volumes. Could be running out of space, too. I would do the above recommended, and delete any unused apps/games.
    glwerry likes this.
    01-15-18 03:12 PM
    Yes, start with clearing the cache and then doing a "battery pull" - the 32 second power button hold, which does a restart.
    01-15-18 03:46 PM
    Yes, start with clearing the cache and then doing a "battery pull" - the 32 second power button hold, which does a restart.
    A simple reboot is more than sufficient.
    01-15-18 03:59 PM
    Obi, mine is constantly giving me issues. It is definite the phone rather than android. Never had these issues on any other Andriod phones.

Scrolling can freeze, apps can take ages to open/close sometimes. Usually a with any apps with videos/autoplay i.e all social media apps plus sports team apps.

It just seems to struggle to do anything at reasonable speed.

Clearing cache shouldn't be a regular requirement to keep a phone performing to reasonable level.
    01-16-18 07:47 AM
    I also sometimes get the screen vibrating up and down as if it is stuck.
    01-16-18 07:48 AM
    My K1 is my first Android, so no reference point to compare, but about once per week I need to restart my device.

The biggest problem I have, aside from some apps freezing or hanging, is the virtual buttons (triangle, circle, and square) do not work as designed. It is primarily the square. It's quite annoying, but it's the choices we have.
    01-16-18 08:06 AM
    Speaking from personal experience, I have never owned an Android device that has not suffered from stutter and unresponsiveness.

My KeyOne does too, albeit it less than the DTEK60 that preceded it.
    01-16-18 09:33 AM
    Same issue here. Phone has gotten slower all over. In every app. Cached cleared, plenty of memory, no dodgy apps. Android is just a ****ty arse OS, pardon my French. As I'm writing this on my K1 it is even stuttering and I only have two small apps open. The writing part (it slows down and hangs after you've written more than a few lines of text) is especially annoying since that's supposedly the whole point of this phone. I didn't have this issue earlier. This is just a little Android surprise (or kick in the nuts) down the road.

EDIT: It got worse with the new January update, in my case. It has never been this slow.
    01-16-18 09:54 PM
    Same issue here. Phone has gotten slower all over. In every app. Cached cleared, plenty of memory, no dodgy apps. Android is just a ****ty arse OS, pardon my French. As I'm writing this on my K1 it is even stuttering and I only have two small apps open. The writing part (it slows down and hangs after you've written more than a few lines of text) is especially annoying since that's supposedly the whole point of this phone. I didn't have this issue earlier. This is just a little Android surprise (or kick in the nuts) down the road.

EDIT: It got worse with the new January update, in my case. It has never been this slow.
    Well, I don't know what the heck you do on your device, or what may have happened to it, but I spend upwards of 8 hours a day on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ without a hiccup.
    01-16-18 10:47 PM
    Well, I don't know what the heck you do on your device, or what may have happened to it, but I spend upwards of 8 hours a day on my KEYᵒⁿᵉ without a hiccup.
    Good for you.
    01-16-18 10:50 PM
    Good for you.
    My point being, there is something wrong with your device, or with how you maintain it.

Perhaps an update that went wrong? Try an autoloader or a factory reset.
    01-16-18 10:52 PM
    do you have a slow rated SD card installed? I've heard that a slow card can cause overall slowness.
    How about the basics, apps all up to date and system updated to the latest security update?
    Do you have any suspect apps running or installed lately? You can always re-download apps, so maybe uninstall all but the essentials just to see if one is causing issues by process of elimination.
    You might look in battery/memory usage to see which app is the most resource hungry. Are you running the BlackBerry Launcher or something else? How often do you reboot and does it seem to help?
    Just a few things to get you started. Good luck. I can vouch for the phone being a solid performer if nothing else, so last case option perhaps you just got unlucky with a bad phone.
    01-16-18 10:56 PM
    Maintain it, lol. Sure, man, I will probably do a factory reset, but rest assure that this is no user-caused problem. This device is subpar.
    01-16-18 10:56 PM
    do you have a slow rated SD card installed? I've heard that a slow card can cause overall slowness.
    How about the basics, apps all up to date and system updated to the latest security update?
    Do you have any suspect apps running or installed lately? You can always re-download apps, so maybe uninstall all but the essentials just to see if one is causing issues by process of elimination.
    You might look in battery/memory usage to see which app is the most resource hungry. Are you running the BlackBerry Launcher or something else? How often do you reboot and does it seem to help?
    Just a few things to get you started. Good luck. I can vouch for the phone being a solid performer if nothing else, so last case option perhaps you just got unlucky with a bad phone.
    I've been a phone-geek since the mid nineties and a smartphone-geek since 2002. I know all the tricks. Thanks anyway, though. The K1 has the worst multitasking of any smartphone I've owned, btw.
    01-16-18 10:59 PM
    The K1 has the worst multitasking of any smartphone I've owned, btw.
    Which essentially proves there is something going wrong with your particular device. Hopefully the factory reset clears it up. Otherwise I would consider sending it in for repair.
    01-16-18 11:14 PM
    You are even defending its dirt poor multitasking now. Wow.
    01-16-18 11:16 PM
    You are even defending its dirt poor multitasking now. Wow.
    You could just say thanks for trying to help out. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    01-16-18 11:19 PM
    Yes, thanks anyway, man.
    01-16-18 11:21 PM
    Android lag is a thing. And yes, historically performance on Android OS's has deteriorated over time.

Nougat 7.1 had work done to tackle the perceived "lag", and has improved the situation but not resolved it.

Of course, everyone's perception of what is and is not acceptable performance differs, so it's nothing surprising to see we all have different views expressed.
    01-17-18 08:54 AM
    Mine is totally acting up too.
    Seems like Google Chrome is even really bad. Tried deleting all my newly installed apps, and phone actually seems better.
    Will monitoring this ....
    01-17-18 10:08 AM
    I've been having this issue here and there since the January update. Maybe once every other day.
    01-17-18 10:36 AM
    And yes, historically performance on Android OS's has deteriorated over time.
    This is categorically false.

Unless you have a wayward app, an out of control cache, or some type of system corruption, Android will behave the same on day 200 as it did on day 1.

Even if you have a supercomputer, you will occasionally pin the CPU. "Lag" or "stutter" is inherent on all systems. It comes down to a cost/benefit calculation - when is it worth spending more on a SoC and how much "stutter" is too much? It varies wildly by use case.
    01-17-18 11:12 AM
    This is categorically false.

Unless you have a wayward app, an out of control cache, or some type of system corruption, Android will behave the same on day 200 as it did on day 1.

Even if you have a supercomputer, you will occasionally pin the CPU. "Lag" or "stutter" is inherent on all systems. It comes down to a cost/benefit calculation - when is it worth spending more on a SoC and how much "stutter" is too much? It varies wildly by use case.
    Categorically false? Says who?

Google did work to reduce the perceived "lag" caused by inefficiencies in the rendering stack for Nougat 7.1, yes?

As someone who doesn't use apps beyond the stock apps provided with a device (aside from a couple), it's odd that performance deteriorates, with reboots/cache clearing providing only partial improvement.

Didn't notice that in BB10, or in iOS to the same degree (even with Apple's battery tricks).
    01-17-18 11:33 AM
51 123