Just installed OTA update AAS212 to my KEYone BBB100-1 PRD-63116-001

The first screen looked like this, except T-Mobile GPRS was not selected, the green dot in green circle was just an empty grey circle:

APNs-notable-00002.jpg

Not understanding what was what, I left it unselected and pressed OK a couple of times. Nothing seemed to be happening so I selected it, OK'ed out, and the screen looks like shown, now. When I tried to unselect to get a screenie, it gives me an edit page:

APNs-1514037277562.jpg

I'm curious what are the options of the APNs page and why I'm presented with making this choice before being able to use the phone when, probably, I'm not in a minority of not understanding what's involved, here. Thanks.
    12-23-17 08:18 AM
    APN's are basically how your device communicates with your carriers network. Other than your SIM card, which generally sets the APN's for you, you have the option of manually editing them when SIM card entries do not work, are not working or aren't compatible. Each carrier offers multiple APN's and in older days, would often split phones, air cards into their own APN to determine what was actually connecting to the network and from where but these days they're all largely universal as the traffic is determined by easier methods. It's actually not common for you to be presented that APN screen unless your SIM card never applied the settings automatically or you're using an unlocked device for the first time or inserted a SIM from another carrier into the device where it was expecting different, already set APN's.

tl;dr: In addition to your SIM card, it's how your device connects to the network and ensures your data gets routed properly over the network. You shouldn't mess with them unless you know what you are doing but if you do, well, it's easy to fix as the APN's are well documented for most carriers.
    rolfep likes this.
    12-23-17 10:16 AM
    It's actually not common for you to be presented that APN screen unless your SIM card never applied the settings automatically or you're using an unlocked device for the first time or inserted a SIM from another carrier into the device where it was expecting different, already set APN's.
    Thanks for the complete explanation!

I bought this unlocked, new, on-sale at Amazon and this is the third, iirc, OTA update, so maybe it was just a timing glitch.

The sim is just one I punched out from the one I was previously using on my T-Mobile Q10 and I've wondered, along the way, if there has been something missing or substandard from the phone's operation due to that history.
    12-23-17 10:52 AM