I am ( was) a Passport user and was looking forward to getting the KEYᵒⁿᵉ but I could not agree with the decisions made to make it a full four row keyboard.

•The KEYᵒⁿᵉ doesn't even have swipe down to access the symbols.
    •The keyboard is so cramped you can't hit all the numbers while holding the alt key.
    •Also if it were a three row keyboard the device would have enjoyed more screen real estate.
    •I just found the keyboard too cramped for my liking and did not want to restrict the freedom of such a wide typing space I enjoyed on the Passport.

If they can create another KEYᵒⁿᵉ (KEYtwo) with a Passport like keyboard I would seriously consider it.
    06-30-17 08:45 AM
    Simple solution for your numbers.

Double tap the alt key to lock the numbers. No longer cramped.

Then press alt key once to unlock.

A passport style device running Android would be very sweet though.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-30-17 09:08 AM
    I am ( was) a Passport user and was looking forward to getting the KEYᵒⁿᵉ but I could not agree with the decisions made to make it a full four row keyboard.

•The keyboard is so cramped you can't hit all the numbers while holding the alt key.
    •Also if it were a three row keyboard the device would have enjoyed more screen real estate.
    •I just found the keyboard too cramped for my liking and did not want to restrict the freedom of such a wide typing space I enjoyed on the Passport.

If they can create another KEYᵒⁿᵉ (KEYtwo) with a Passport like keyboard I would seriously consider it.
    I don't find the size of the keyboard a problem. I have large hands and fingers and have come from two passports, the OG and SE. It does take a few days to get used to Android but sobeit - - the functionality is well worth it.
    06-30-17 09:21 AM
    Simple solution for your numbers.

Double tap the alt key to lock the numbers. No longer cramped.

Then press alt key once to unlock.

A passport style device running Android would be very sweet though.
    And for BIG letters double tab shift ;-)
    06-30-17 09:22 AM
    For myself, that is hard to answer. While I admired the Passport, I couldn't justify the expenditure when it came out, therefore, never acquired one. Coming from a Q10 (that I have used everyday a few days shy of 4 years), the KeyOne seems a logical progression. I must say, I have seen so many Passport loyalists of late, it must be quite the device. Who knows? Maybe I'll eventually give in to the impulse to purchase one.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 09:25 AM
    If it enabled a larger keyboard then yes I would be all for it. I'm struggling to adapt to the KEYone's keyboard. Its tough for me to type on with any speed and I'm not all that accurate with it because I'm hitting letters that are so close together.
    The_Passporter likes this.
    06-30-17 09:55 AM
    Heck no. So much more movement required for doing simple things with the 3 row keyboard. I also don't have to look down to type numbers or most used symbols.
    06-30-17 12:13 PM
    If it enabled a larger keyboard then yes I would be all for it. I'm struggling to adapt to the KEYone's keyboard. Its tough for me to type on with any speed and I'm not all that accurate with it because I'm hitting letters that are so close together.
    Give it some time, you will get used to it and become super quick on it. Good luck!
    06-30-17 12:57 PM
    Old habits die hard. I still find myself swiping down on the K1's keyboard 🙃
    06-30-17 01:15 PM
    Old habits die hard. I still find myself swiping down on the K1's keyboard 🙃
    Why does it have to die?. Why it's not implemented on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ is beyond me.
    06-30-17 03:53 PM
    Heck no. So much more movement required for doing simple things with the 3 row keyboard. I also don't have to look down to type numbers or most used symbols.
    More movement does not always equal slower typing. Some may argue that with larger keys you will have greater precision.
    I honestly don't mind looking at the keyboard when typing especially when typing large documents or emails. Not looking might be okay for simple texting.

One thing I did enjoy was not being able to type while driving due to the size of the keyboard. That was the reason I did try the Passport. One handed typing is near impossible unless you're a basketball player
    chefcenko and FF22 like this.
    06-30-17 03:55 PM
    I believe I saw a setting that allowed for that... Let me check. Yes, under Keyboard settings - BlackBerry-keyboard - Physical keyboard - Type by swiping - right under that option there is another box you can tick that mentions swiping to delete and swiping to access symbols. I haven't tried it myself, but why don't you give it a whirl?

Note: My phone is not in English so the menu options might be translated a little differently.
    06-30-17 04:08 PM
    It was there on Passport because it never had Alt key. People hated it because everyone wanted an Alt key. Then they got used to three line keyboard without the Alt key.

Seems like we're square one back to same discussion. Habits versus the offerings. I'm already used to not swiping down for symbols because there's a dedicated button for it. Moreover you've got Alt button to input characters on the fly.

Just give yourself sometime and then weigh why BlackBerry chose this. They did it fine for Passport and we realized later how good that decision was. Same applies here.
    06-30-17 06:35 PM
    In short, yes, I miss the 3 row keyboard of the PP. Well, I don't miss it because I still use the PP as my primary device and the KeyONE as my secondary (work) device. I am still struggling to come to love the K1 and the keyboard is just one aspect. I also wish they'd release a PP styled device with K1 modernity. Alas, I've heard that'll never work because the PP screen size and Android are incompatible.

Posted via CB10
    06-30-17 06:57 PM
    I adjusted quickly to the layout. Brings me back to my pre-passport days with the Q10 and others.
    06-30-17 07:34 PM
    In the keyboard settings, where you turn on swipe typing, both the virtual and physical keyboard say they'll swipe down for symbols. However, only the virtual one actually does it
    06-30-17 07:43 PM
    4 rows provides much cleaner and precise continuity for me. I hated 3 rows and found it jarring to switch from keys to screen and back again.
    06-30-17 07:54 PM
    4 rows provides much cleaner and precise continuity for me. I hated 3 rows and found it jarring to switch from keys to screen and back again.
    Myself I found it seamless and when I was Don typing any set of numbers the virtual keyboard disappeared once I hit the spacebar. Truly intuitive and lovely.
    Using the swipe dow became a reflex.
    06-30-17 08:31 PM
    In the keyboard settings, where you turn on swipe typing, both the virtual and physical keyboard say they'll swipe down for symbols. However, only the virtual one actually does it
    Exactly that feature is not for KEYᵒⁿᵉ. KEYᵒⁿᵉ's keyboard already have many keys to do the needful. The VKB doesn't have Sym or Alt key, hence it's there.

As before, all BlackBerry models differ from one another and so are the features. I personally think, swipe down is just not needed and is redundant on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ PKB. The Sym key is just under your thumb.
    06-30-17 08:35 PM
    I think swipe down for Symbols is a feature they could implement if they want to.

it requires No thought or aim, simply swipe down anywhere and there are your symbols.

it sounds strange, but the symbol key is hard for me to reach, I have long thumbs, so it's a big pain getting to it.
    06-30-17 08:51 PM
    I Had used the passport for more than a year , had no problem with the 3 rows keyboard but if I had the choice I would always go for a 4 rows.
    The frets of the passport are bigger not because of the lack of one row but because it's a much wider device than the KEYone.
    06-30-17 09:26 PM
    I think swipe down for Symbols is a feature they could implement if they want to.

it requires No thought or aim, simply swipe down anywhere and there are your symbols.

it sounds strange, but the symbol key is hard for me to reach, I have long thumbs, so it's a big pain getting to it.
    I agree.

What is nice about the swipe down feature is that you don't have to aim for a key, you only need to swipe down quickly and there it is. It's a seamless gesture that really can't be argued.
    06-30-17 10:13 PM
    I'm sorry quickly getting used to the KEYone keyboard, including the alt key. I'll have to get up to speed with keyboard shortcuts, which I've always loved from DOS days. I have two Passports too, and they are the best for getting work done, except for the apps part. Even the android apps I run on the Passports I can't upgrade on Google Play. So now I work in both worlds. At least on wifi (I only have one Sim card).
    07-01-17 01:06 AM
    It's actually a lot easier to use the 3 row keyboard in comparison to the conventional keyboard because usually you would have an extra adaptable row on top of the keyboard. That means you rarely ever need to reach for that alt key.

The keyone does have swipe down to open symbols though, doesn't it? My priv does, and it makes the capacitive keyboard really fantastic.
    07-01-17 02:37 AM
    Negative, which was I didn't go for the Passport. On the flipside, I would consider trading the 4th row for a trackpad ;-)
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    07-01-17 06:39 AM
39 12