I was thinking, maybe the delay is due to the software being pushed on it. We still havent seen 7.x pushed out to any other blackberry devices so its possible, its still not ready. if they had it ready for one device, why wouldnt they push it to their other devices (factory unlocked models)? maybe we'll see the may security update come with 7.x for priv and dtek devices.
    04-20-17 08:24 AM
    Aurora launched with Nougat... so no don't really buy that as the reason.

Granted Aurora is on 7.0 and the KEYone is suppose to be on 7.1. What are the current pre-production models running?

I expect it has more to do with logistic than with software.

Besides, do you know for sure there are plans to upgrade the PRIV and DTEKS now that BlackBerry is shutting down the hardware division?
    04-20-17 08:48 AM
    I'm fairly certain they announced that Priv and DTEKs would get Nougat eventually when N first came out last year. Whether or not they still adhere to that statement remains to be seen.
    04-20-17 09:46 AM
    Only if the entire production team is allergic to sugar. :P
    04-20-17 12:25 PM
    Yup. I'd bet the delay is on BlackBerry and whatever tweaks they are doing to Android. Keep in mind that BlackBerry is still relatively new to the Android game and they did lay off a lot of employees awhile back.
    04-20-17 01:22 PM
    Aurora launched with Nougat... so no don't really buy that as the reason.

Granted Aurora is on 7.0 and the KEYone is suppose to be on 7.1. What are the current pre-production models running?

I expect it has more to do with logistic than with software.

Besides, do you know for sure there are plans to upgrade the PRIV and DTEKS now that BlackBerry is shutting down the hardware division?
    Isn't the Aurora built by a different partner and not TCL?
    04-20-17 01:36 PM
    Isn't the Aurora built by a different partner and not TCL?
    Yes but the software all still comes from BB.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    04-20-17 01:40 PM
    Yes but the software all still comes from BB.

That is strange that they could launch the Aurora with 7.0 but not yet update even the PRIV.

I hope this is not a repeat of Sony Ericsson and their Timescape saga, that skin caused so much delay they had to eventually strip it and throw away what could have been a great Android UI but required far too many resources that they didn't have.
    04-20-17 02:24 PM
    That is strange that they could launch the Aurora with 7.0 but not yet update even the PRIV.

I hope this is not a repeat of Sony Ericsson and their Timescape saga, that skin caused so much delay they had to eventually strip it and throw away what could have been a great Android UI but required far too many resources that they didn't have.
    They probably want to give these new phones a certain period of exclusivity with the OS. Likely BB Android 7.1 would be exclusive to the KEYone for a little while before it gets pushed out to all of the other BB Androids...

04-20-17 02:35 PM
    The aurora launch was specifically for Indonesia. Only one country to worry about. This will be TCL's first really big launch worldwide. Im sure they are getting all the carriers lined up as well as the different regions worldwide. The time is fast approaching. We should have some definitive word in a couple weeks now. I for one will definitely be getting one. Unlocked.
    04-21-17 10:01 AM
    Anyone have experience of nougat ? And will it make much difference to Priv?
    04-23-17 03:31 AM
    Anyone have experience of nougat ? And will it make much difference to Priv?
    I think you meant to ask "would" N make any difference to the PRIV, if it ever did get it, which at this point I think is unlikely, and Marshmallow works pretty good just as it is.
    04-23-17 09:10 AM
    They probably want to give these new phones a certain period of exclusivity with the OS. Likely BB Android 7.1 would be exclusive to the KEYone for a little while before it gets pushed out to all of the other BB Androids...

^^^This. Nougat is a selling point. Why would you upgrade the older models before releasing your new one?
    04-23-17 09:40 AM
    No. I don't think most consumers care. Most don't know which Android OS they are running.

Posted via CB10
    04-23-17 10:09 AM
    No. I don't think most consumers care. Most don't know which Android OS they are running.

Posted via CB10
    If that's the case, then the Android version would not be one of the key features advertised with every Android phone. I'm sure a lot of people don't know the difference, but for some it's definitely a selling point.

And with the KEYone, it's already an obscure phone. Pretty much the only people who know about it are us here on CB and those who regularly check tech websites. As much as the people here want to think those people (us) are the majority, we sure as heck are not. I've asked people in "the real world" and literally only one of them has even heard of the KEYone. So for those of us who follow these kinds of things who knows about the KEYone, we definitely know what version OS the phones are running...

04-23-17 11:37 AM
    Aurora run's fine with Android 7.0
    I'm using it since one week.
    04-23-17 12:24 PM

Posted via CB10
    While that may be true. They do notice the UI differences in the different versions. Like the new notification system in Nougat
    04-23-17 12:41 PM