Hey guys

On my KEYone I'm noticing that the space bar is showing a wear in the colour, a bit darker and shinier than it used to be. Probably just from use, but the phone isn't 2 weeks old yet so I'm surprised it's happening so soon.

Just curious if anyone else has seen this on theirs. I noticed this on a display model in a Bell store over the weekend too.

Thanks!
    06-12-17 01:24 PM
    No signs of discolouration on my keyboard.
    06-12-17 01:28 PM
    Here's a pic
    06-12-17 01:33 PM
    Looks like just normal wear. Kind of reminds me how the old Black MacBook track pads would start to look after use. Two weeks isn't a lot of use, but honestly it doesn't look too bad.
    06-12-17 01:37 PM
    Yeah I figure eventually it will all wear to the same colour anyway, I'm not overly worried was just curious if it's happening with others.
    06-12-17 01:44 PM
    My space bar is absolute garbage at the moment. It looks dull on once side and shiny (greasy) on the other. I clean my phone every evening with an optical wipe, so this is driving me nuts.
    Also, it squeaks like crazy when I hit it. So much to the point that a couple people have actually mentioned it while I have been typing.
    I have had this device for nine days....
    I am going through with Rogers this evening for a exchange of the device for signal issues anyway, so it's not a huge concern for me. Hopefully doesn't happen on my new device.
    06-12-17 01:46 PM
    I can't even see any problem with your space bar, it looks the same as the other keys in your pic.
    avery1206 likes this.
    06-12-17 02:20 PM
    I can't even see any problem with your space bar, it looks the same as the other keys in your pic.
    It's the oil from your skin that is making the keyboard look funny
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-12-17 02:29 PM
    It's the oil from your skin that is making the keyboard look funny
    +1 to this.

Working in IT, I end up seeing a lot of MacBook Pros come across my desk with a lot of wear on their keyboard. The black plastic tends to get this sort of shiny look after a certain amount of time. How quickly it develops kind of depends on the person and the make up of the oil from your skin.

I'm guessing it's more noticeable on the spacebar here, because the other keys are shiny, with just the space bar being matte. With older devices everything was matte, and the wear wasn't quite as pronounced.

[Edit: I'm not even sure "wear" is the proper term. I don't know if this is the wearing off of a coating, or just accumulation of oil on the device, so take it with a grain of salt.]
    06-12-17 02:48 PM
    Negative. No discoloration here.
    06-12-17 03:10 PM
    +1 to this.

Working in IT, I end up seeing a lot of MacBook Pros come across my desk with a lot of wear on their keyboard. The black plastic tends to get this sort of shiny look after a certain amount of time. How quickly it develops kind of depends on the person and the make up of the oil from your skin.

I'm guessing it's more noticeable on the spacebar here, because the other keys are shiny, with just the space bar being matte. With older devices everything was matte, and the wear wasn't quite as pronounced.

[Edit: I'm not even sure "wear" is the proper term. I don't know if this is the wearing off of a coating, or just accumulation of oil on the device, so take it with a grain of salt.]
    I also work in IT so I definitely can relate to what you're saying. There is wear, as I have tried different methods of cleaning it and it doesn't change. Just figured it would take longer for stuff like this to happen. I don't work with MacBooks but I do see it with laptops, keyboards, mice, etc.
    xDAKx likes this.
    06-12-17 03:28 PM
    I also work in IT so I definitely can relate to what you're saying. There is wear, as I have tried different methods of cleaning it and it doesn't change. Just figured it would take longer for stuff like this to happen. I don't work with MacBooks but I do see it with laptops, keyboards, mice, etc.
    Yep! I've tried just about every imaginable creative trick to get it off keyboards and it rarely ever seems to work.

I agree that 2 weeks seems kind of quick, but I guess we don't know what BlackBerry Mobile are using for materials to make this whole keyboard-fingerprint assembly. I suppose it'll be curious to see if a lot of people are having this issue, or if it gets dramatically worse after the first few weeks.
    06-12-17 03:42 PM
    Its a phone not a Priceless item, use it use it and enjoy it people
    I have long got over the little scratches and dings I keep my phone looking nice but its not the end of the world if it gets a scratch or ding
    terminatorx and conbrio29 like this.
    06-12-17 04:06 PM
    Yeah I figure eventually it will all wear to the same colour anyway, I'm not overly worried was just curious if it's happening with others.
    Maybe the discolouration is oil from your fingers / thumbs.
    06-12-17 04:16 PM
    Apply a very little amount of lubricant on a napkin and rub it around the keyboard then quickly dry it off. I had squeaking on day 2 and now day 12 - no squeeking.
    06-12-17 04:16 PM
    Apply a very little amount of lubricant on a napkin and rub it around the keyboard then quickly dry it off. I had squeaking on day 2 and now day 12 - no squeeking.
    Which lubricant did you use?
    06-16-17 09:03 AM
    Mine is starting to discolor a bit too now.
    06-16-17 09:12 AM
    Yes mines the same as your photo.
    06-16-17 09:14 AM
    It's not really wear, it's more just grease, etc.

Such alarming posts - relax. The keyboard scanner is amazingly fast and awesome.
    06-18-17 06:47 PM
    I just checked my tires and the tread seems to wearing away. Just joking but come on now!
    06-18-17 06:59 PM
    I actually hope my spacebar looks more like yours. It's a different material than the other keys due to having the fingerprint scanner, so to have it look shinier would make it look more blended in with the other keys.
    06-18-17 08:38 PM