I've been looking at a lot of developers listing for phones and I can't help but notice there's no release dates for Oreo on the Keyone, motion or Dtek. And it wouldn't be so bad if the OS wasn't already on version 8.1. Most Nokia are on 8, HTC and Samsung are actively rolling it out now, some motos are on it too. I think I even saw LG and oneplus with a release schedule, and one has a total reskin and the other is a total interface overhaul. I'm not expecting a release next week but a timeline would be appreciated.
    01-08-18 09:06 PM
    BlackBerry Android uses a modified, hardened version of Android - unlike the ones you mention. It takes more time.

Rumour for TCL devices was first quarter 2018.
    sethr likes this.
    01-08-18 09:14 PM
    I've been looking at a lot of developers listing for phones and I can't help but notice there's no release dates for Oreo on the Keyone, motion or Dtek. And it wouldn't be so bad if the OS wasn't already on version 8.1. Most Nokia are on 8, HTC and Samsung are actively rolling it out now, some motos are on it too. I think I even saw LG and oneplus with a release schedule, and one has a total reskin and the other is a total interface overhaul. I'm not expecting a release next week but a timeline would be appreciated.
    PRIV - Lollipop upgraded to Marshmallow - Done
    DTEK - Marshmallow - Done
    KEYone - Nougat promised upgrade to Oreo
    Motion - Nougat promised upgrade to Oreo
    01-08-18 09:19 PM
    The upgrade timeline for a BlackBerry Android is simple. One (1) OS upgrade, and security patches for two (2) years from the date of release. That's it. If you hear otherwise from anywhere other than directly from BlackBerry or one of its licensees...it's fake news.
    andy957 and sethr like this.
    01-08-18 09:43 PM
    The upgrade timeline for a BlackBerry Android is simple. One (1) OS upgrade, and security patches for two (2) years from the date of release. That's it. If you hear otherwise from anywhere other than directly from BlackBerry or one of its licensees...it's fake news.
    Except for DTEK
    01-08-18 09:46 PM
    Except for DTEK
    True. But DTEK was an 'experiment' so it doesn't count. Lol.
    01-08-18 09:47 PM
    All we know officially from TCL regarding their (only) two original devices is: 1) at least Oreo, and 2) at least 2 years of support.

There is no precedent to determine what will happen after that.

We already know we'll get at least another 6 months on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, as the OS development essentially mirrors that of the Motion - both based on the same SoC.
    elfabio80 likes this.
    01-08-18 09:51 PM
    True. But DTEK was an 'experiment' so it doesn't count. Lol.
    I know. I own both. %&$@:
    01-08-18 09:52 PM
    All we know officially from TCL regarding their (only) two original devices is: 1) at least Oreo, and 2) at least 2 years of support.

There is no precedent to determine what will happen after that.

We already know we'll get at least another 6 months on the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, as the OS development essentially mirrors that of the Motion.
    Now that we have seen what happened with PRIV, let's not candy coat it. In BlackBerryspeak 'at least one' means one and 'at least two' means two. No need to mislead people. I was willing to cut them some slack initially...but cutting off PRIV updates at almost exactly two years made their intentions painfully obvious.
    FF22 and anon(9803228) like this.
    01-08-18 10:05 PM
    I know. I own both. %&$@:
    That's a real shame what they did to DTEK owners...they should be ashamed of themselves!
    FF22 likes this.
    01-08-18 10:06 PM
    Now that we have seen what happened with PRIV, let's not candy coat it. In BlackBerryspeak 'at least one' means one and 'at least two' means two. No need to mislead people. I was willing to cut them some slack initially...but cutting off PRIV updates at almost exactly two years made their intentions painfully obvious.
    As you well know, TCL is not BlackBerry. They make their own decisions.

BlackBerry simply provides the updates that TCL pays them for.
    01-08-18 10:07 PM
    BlackBerry can't be compared to BlackBerry Mobile. They hot potatoed the DTEK line so fast, I dropped both of mine and cracked the screens.
    01-08-18 10:09 PM
    As you well know, TCL is not BlackBerry. They make their own decisions.
    That's really interesting. Because all I have seen promised for any BBMo device is exactly what I wrote. One OS upgrade and two years of security updates. Sounds exactly like the PRIV to me! Lol.
    01-08-18 10:11 PM
    That's really interesting. Because all I have seen promised for any BBMo device is exactly what I wrote. One OS upgrade and two years of security updates. Sounds exactly like the PRIV to me! Lol.
    That was never guaranteed when the Priv was initially launched. The "2 year" thing seemed to be a retroactive "promise" - deemed to be a somewhat respectable length of time.

BlackBerry made a business decision to extricate themselves from supporting any more devices, as they were no longer in hardware. They paid TCL to take the DTEKs off their hands, and counted the seconds until the 2 year mark for the Priv.
    Last edited by conite; 01-08-18 at 10:26 PM.
    Carjackd likes this.
    01-08-18 10:13 PM
    That was never guaranteed when the Priv was initially launched. The "2 year" thing seemed to be a retroactive "promise" - deemed to be a somewhat respectable length of time.

BlackBerry made a business decision to extricate themselves from supporting any more devices, as they were no longer in hardware. They paid TCL to take the DTEKs off their hands, and counted the seconds until the 2 year mark for the Priv.
    Stop cutting slack for TCL. Now that PRIV is done we know exactly the maximum (not minimum) to expect from a BlackBerry Android device. One OS update and two years of security patches. Anyone who believes otherwise (especially after the DTEK fiasco) has been spending too much time in the BB10 unicorn forum.
    01-08-18 10:29 PM
    Stop cutting slack for TCL. Now that PRIV is done we know exactly the maximum (not minimum) to expect from a BlackBerry Android device. One OS update and two years of security patches. Anyone who believes otherwise (especially after the DTEK fiasco) has been spending too much time in the BB10 unicorn forum.
    Again, TCL has NOTHING to do with BlackBerry, or the decisions BlackBerry made regarding BlackBerry's own devices.

The ONLY connection between the two companies is that TCL pays BlackBerry for the use of the name, and for however many OS updates/patches they wish to purchase.
    01-08-18 10:35 PM
    Again, TCL has NOTHING to do with BlackBerry, or the decisions BlackBerry made regarding BlackBerry's own devices.

The ONLY connection between the two companies is that TCL pays BlackBerry for the use of the name, and for however many OS updates/patches they wish to purchase.
    Sure, and if you prefer to believe in fairy tales you can make up whatever version of reality suits your purposes. The fact is, you can't prove the PRIV does not set the standard for the licensing agreement and there is nothing to suggest that it doesn't. BlackBerry creates the standards for its licensees, not TCL. PRIV just happens to be the only true BlackBerry Android device that was ever produced. I prefer to base my assertions on actual performance, not blog posts. At least I am giving BBMo the benefit of the PRIV as their baseline. Lol. Given what BlackBerry and TCL did with the DTEKs, they deserve worse.

So it's one OS upgrade, two years of security updates...and no more inflated expectations.
    anon(9803228) likes this.
    01-08-18 11:12 PM
    Sure, and if you prefer to believe in fairy tales you can make up whatever version of reality suits your purposes. The fact is, you can't prove the PRIV does not set the standard for the licensing agreement and there is nothing to suggest that it doesn't. BlackBerry creates the standards for its licensees, not TCL. PRIV just happens to be the only true BlackBerry Android device that was ever produced. I prefer to base my assertions on actual performance, not blog posts. At least I am giving BBMo the benefit of the PRIV as their baseline. Lol. Given what BlackBerry and TCL did with the DTEKs, they deserve worse.

So it's one OS upgrade, two years of security updates...and no more inflated expectations.
    You are categorically inaccurate. There's nothing else to say.

TCL calls all the shots with its devices. Period.

The differences between TCL's and PT BB Merah Putih's respective devices demonstrate clearly that BlackBerry has very little to say about how the licencees conduct their business.
    johnny_bravo72 likes this.
    01-08-18 11:16 PM

In case anyone didn't see this I thought quote it so they can have a third opportunity to read it. Jeez...some people don't get it. Conite is stating facts...this is not fake news.
    conite, gritsinct and Jrox74 like this.
    01-08-18 11:24 PM

Hang on..you can't prove that the priv DOES set the standard.

What Conite can tell you is facts. Facts that we were both told at the the KEYone launch event in Toronto last May that we were both fortunate enough to attend. Facts that were relayed to us by BlackBerry Mobile .

So basically you are stating that he is the fabricating a story while you continue to be content with your conspiracy theory.

Let's all play nice in here.
    01-08-18 11:33 PM
    You are categorically inaccurate. There's nothing else to say.

TCL calls all the shots with its devices. Period.

The differences between TCL and PT BB Merah Putih demonstrates clearly that BlackBerry has very little to say about it.
    Sure, one OS upgrade and two years of security updates is inaccurate? Lol. That standard has been set by BlackBerry and nothing we have heard in terms of updates from any of the licensees to date suggests otherwise.

But go ahead...if you insist on using the abandoned DTEKs (or seemingly abandoned Aurora) as the basis to counter this precedent, and in so doing undermine the credibility of any of the licensees to uphold this basic minimum standard, be my guest.
    01-08-18 11:43 PM
    Sure, one OS upgrade and two years of security updates is inaccurate? Lol. That standard has been set by BlackBerry and nothing we have heard in terms of updates from any of the licensees to date suggests otherwise.

But go ahead...if you insist on using the abandoned DTEKs (or seemingly abandoned Aurora) as the basis to counter this precedent, and in so doing undermine the credibility of any of the licensees to uphold this basic minimum standard, be my guest.
    I stated that NO precedent exists for TCL's BlackBerry-branded offerings. Zero.
    gritsinct likes this.
    01-08-18 11:45 PM
    Hang on..you can't prove that the priv DOES set the standard.

What Conite can tell you is facts. Facts that we were both told at the the KEYone launch event in Toronto last May that we were both fortunate enough to attend. Facts that were relayed to us by BlackBerry Mobile .

So basically you are stating that he is the fabricating a story while you continue to be content with your conspiracy theory.

Let's all play nice in here.
    I have made an assertion the PRIV sets the standard. It is not a conspiracy theory. The support that was provided for the PRIV is a fact. If you believe the licensees....any of them...is going to do better than that, good for you. I'm not a big fan of fairy tales and I have not seen a single shred of evidence that suggests otherwise.
    01-08-18 11:58 PM
    I stated that NO precedent exists for TCL's BlackBerry-branded offerings. Zero.
    And you're right....all except for the PRIV and the experimental DTEKs.
    01-09-18 12:00 AM
    I have made an assertion the PRIV sets the standard.
    And you're right....all except for the PRIV and the experimental DTEKs.
    The Priv has as much to do with TCL as my Bosch dishwasher.
    01-09-18 12:01 AM
116 123 ...