I was just wondering if any BlackBerry users on AT&T have gotten upgraded to 5G service. My friend has an S9 and just told me hers was updated. Now I'm jealous and wondering if any of my fellow BlackBerry loyalists received this update.
    02-01-19 11:40 AM
    I was just wondering if any BlackBerry users on AT&T have gotten upgraded to 5G service. My friend has an S9 and just told me hers was updated. Now I'm jealous and wondering if any of my fellow BlackBerry loyalists received this update.
    Lol that's a bogus 5G (E) signal. Your phone's hardware also needs to support true 5G. Wait a few more months, true 5G handsets are coming soon.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...ile-is-piling/
    CheckWriter and Summer_Moon like this.
    02-01-19 11:49 AM
    You mean AT&T's two fake 5G offerings..... either 5G E or 5G+

S9 has an X20 LTE modem (1200Mbits).... whereas the newest KEY devices only has a X12 LTE modem (600MB). So don't think any BlackBerry devices would come close to even the fake 5G speeds.
    02-01-19 11:54 AM
    Lol that's a bogus 5G signal. Your phone's hardware also needs to support true 5G. Wait a few more months, 5G handsets are coming soon.
    Months.... sounding more like both AT&T and Verizon are delaying their roll out of real 5G. Might be next year before most of use in the US have access to real 5G networks.
    IceCreamPlz likes this.
    02-01-19 11:57 AM
    Months.... sounding more like both AT&T and Verizon are delaying their roll out of real 5G. Might be next year before most of use in the US have access to real 5G networks.
    Several handset manufacturers are supposedly scheduled to release 5G compatible phones this year. Hopefully, the telcos will also give consumers full access to 5G signals.
    https://www.androidauthority.com/best-5g-phones-926740/
    02-01-19 12:09 PM
    does BlackBerry Mobile hold up new releases to see if 5G is really a thing ??
    02-01-19 03:14 PM
    I don't think they make that mistake again.
    they did that many years ago with 4g.
    it almost ruins them ..

On the other hand why would they care, it's a software company
    Nothing more, nothing less
    02-02-19 06:36 AM
    Here's some more background info, about a month or so old:
    https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2018...wered-hotspot/

This does not talk about anything blackberry, but addresses the difference between 5G and 5G(e).
    02-03-19 11:42 AM
    I wonder how 5G will affect battery life...
    02-03-19 01:27 PM
    I wonder how 5G will affect battery life...
    Well if the drop 2G and 3G Radios at the same time.... maybe not much.
    02-04-19 09:42 AM
    I don't think the AT&T fake 5G has been patched in yet, and actual 5G will be at least a couple years for it to trickle down to mid-range Qualcomm CPUs, and then to Chinese OEMs, and then to BB branded devices (if any by then).
    IceCreamPlz likes this.
    02-04-19 09:48 AM
    The carriers are currently working on re-farming spectrum and addressing proofs of concept. Plans are for the first handsets very late this year. No plans for coverage-map-wide rollout yet.

I wouldn't expect a BB to be 5G enabled until next year at the earliest.

AT&T's 5G E rollout is effectively greatly enhanced throughput on LTE+ and LTE-A. Truly much better than the base specification, but not quite "true" 5G.
    02-05-19 02:31 PM
    I don't think the AT&T fake 5G has been patched in yet, and actual 5G will be at least a couple years for it to trickle down to mid-range Qualcomm CPUs, and then to Chinese OEMs, and then to BB branded devices (if any by then).
    Guaranteed to be here by Android Z ....
    02-05-19 04:51 PM
    I have never heard of 5g before
    02-05-19 05:00 PM
    Lol that's a bogus 5G (E) signal. Your phone's hardware also needs to support true 5G. Wait a few more months, true 5G handsets are coming soon.
    Is att rebranding 4G LTE to 5G like they did with their LTE and rebranding 3G as 4G? I know the 5G(e) is what the LTE should have been all along.
    02-05-19 05:14 PM
    don't get fooled by sales chaps. here is official roadmap - still got challenges need to be sort out. battery is one of them and directional signal is the another... as for stationary base, that is NOT 5G mobile handset - according to my book ;-). hold on to your handset and start save money for next gen in 2020 if according to the plan (take on extra part time job, stop walk to starbucks - by the way, if you are using starbucks wifi majority of the time, why you care about 5G anyhow ;-)
    IEEE Releases Details About Its 5G and Beyond Roadmap
    02-05-19 08:08 PM
    Is att rebranding 4G LTE to 5G like they did with their LTE and rebranding 3G as 4G? I know the 5G(e) is what the LTE should have been all along.
    Yes and no. Yes, it's akin to the original launch of 4G (not LTE). No, because at the same time, they're trying to make a point that's getting lost in the stupidity of the whole thing.

AT&T has upgraded LTE so that it conforms to newer and faster standards: LTE+ & LTE-A (or Advanced LTE).

With both newer chipsets and newer network elements, there are indeed much faster speeds. On top of that, they've deployed 4x4 MIMO and other enhancements to deliver several hundred Mbps speeds.

Recent innovations combined with LTE+ and LTE-A are resulting in truly significantly faster experiences.

But is it 5G? Nope.
    Summer_Moon likes this.
    02-06-19 09:27 AM
    Yes and no. Yes, it's akin to the original launch of 4G (not LTE). No, because at the same time, they're trying to make a point that's getting lost in the stupidity of the whole thing.

AT&T has upgraded LTE so that it conforms to newer and faster standards: LTE+ & LTE-A (or Advanced LTE).

With both newer chipsets and newer network elements, there are indeed much faster speeds. On top of that, they've deployed 4x4 MIMO and other enhancements to deliver several hundred Mbps speeds.

Recent innovations combined with LTE+ and LTE-A are resulting in truly significantly faster experiences.

But is it 5G? Nope.
    So you’re saying no backwards compatibility with BBOS and BB10 compatibility guaranteed until 12/31/2019 for voice, text and data.
    02-06-19 03:07 PM

But is it 5G? Nope.
    I agree... Today's networks and device modems are capable of much faster speeds than when LTE first hit the mainstream market. Think Carrier's ought to be able to market their upgraded networks... if they can support X20 LTE or CAT18.

But LTE-Super+ or 4.5G.... too be honest no one is really seeing much in the way of improvements.

I will say based on speeds that are being talked about... the X12 modem in the KEY2 and LE should meet those requirements. Download is 600 Mbit/s and Upload is up to 150 Mbit/s, well beyond anything I've seen.
    02-06-19 03:40 PM
    AT&T are branding 4GLTE MIMO as 5Ge. yesterday Sprint announced a lawsuit for deceptive marketing. This isn't 5G, it's not even close. it's actually the specs that were initially promised for 4G. Which Both T-mobile and AT&T tried to pass off HSPA+ (3G tech aka 3.5G) as 4G. That's how LTE became a thing, because Verizon and Sprint had to avoid confusion with "4G". It all comes down to confusion and deceptive marketing.
    As for the battery issue, it's going to be a problem early on. Remember the HTC thunderbolt? it was a battery hog because it needed a dedicated modem for LTE. The first generation 5G devices are going to be the same. 1 integrated modem for 2,3,4 and LTE, and then one for 5G. therefore dual modems drawing power, but the 5G modem won't be optimized due to the newer technology. On the upside, LTE will be faster due to more people drawing from the 5G network.

TL;DR AT&T is lying, 5Ge isn't 5G, new hardware will be needed
    02-08-19 03:36 PM