Silent launch, no hype, outdated hardware.

I still think price is ridiculous, 679$ CAD for a candybar Priv with relatively same specs and no wireless charging. On top of it, you can't buy it unlocked so all those "business men" will have to pay additional 50$ to unlock at launch.

Launch date has been a complete fail too.

First it was April, then it was May 5th, now push all the way down to May 31st which you know it means you getting one second week of June.

What's worse is that DTEK 60 with much better specs is priced lower around 590$ CAD during sales.

TCL seems to have caught the contagion of failure from Blackberry.

I will keep my Priv for now.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    05-18-17 08:57 AM
    Having owned the PRIV and Passport. I would say Passport is my favourite but this KEYone comes in very close and imo is far superior to the PRIV in terms of build quality. Battery and speed. This phone ticks all the boxes. Sure seems to be a bit confusing regarding launch but once you get this device. It sure is worth the wait.
    lionhearted and Plazmic Flame like this.
    05-18-17 09:01 AM
    Repeat after me... "Specs are not everything."

Those modest specs are the reason people are getting 2 days battery life out of it. If you want a OLED screen with a 4K resolution and SD835, look elsewhere. Sure, 4GB RAM would have been nice but from all the videos I have seen of the K1, it seems to be doing just fine with those specs.
    05-18-17 09:02 AM
    Its not really launched yet, it's clearly still under development. But ok. Whatever. My Keyone runs rings around my priv and it's only going to get better with updates.

The specs are awesome. It barely lags unless I do stupid things on it that are a waste of time anyway (so why should I be in a hurry?).

And the battery life is so good that I don't bother charging it overnight anymore. I just plug it in for half an hour or so when I sit at my desk.
    lionhearted and bluesqueen23 like this.
    05-18-17 09:04 AM
    Silent launch, no hype, outdated hardware.

I still think price is ridiculous, 679$ CAD for a candybar Priv with relatively same specs and no wireless charging. On top of it, you can't buy it unlocked so all those "business men" will have to pay additional 50$ to unlock at launch.

Launch date has been a complete fail too.

First it was April, then it was May 5th, now push all the way down to May 31st which you know it means you getting one second week of June.

What's worse is that DTEK 60 with much better specs is priced lower around 590$ CAD during sales.

TCL seems to have caught the contagion of failure from Blackberry.

I will keep my Priv for now.
    Loooool another specs hog individual

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 09:05 AM
    I disagree with you, for a phone that is oriented for business men, it's not unlocked and it doesn't have dual sim, the only two features that matter to any traveler.
    05-18-17 09:05 AM
    It is pretty pathetic. TCL / BlackBerry mobile haven't learned to strike when you have good press. The tech world is fickle. A new shinier device is always just around the corner. The KeyOne will likely just fade into obscurity in a few months.
    megafan2000 and anon(9710735) like this.
    05-18-17 09:09 AM
    Loooool another specs hog individual

Posted via CB10
    Well, he did get one thing right, the launch was/is a complete disaster, much worse than Priv or the DTEK's, so far I wouldn't even consider what is happening as a launch, rather an attempt to release a product from a garage manufacturing company (which TLC is not since they are 8'th place in mobile market if I remember correctly).
    Sales could have been good if the launch would have been thought through.
    anon(9710735) and p51 like this.
    05-18-17 09:10 AM
    Specs are not what I would have wanted.... but this package does deliver great battery life.
    Price isn't what I would have hoped for.... but their focus is on enterprise, and maybe they will pay a premium for the security.
    Launch is not what you would expect.... but TCL is being cautious with production, and is having to build out distribution and support. In the end, three months from now, anyone that wants it (mainly enterprise) will be able to buy it.

For some who expected TCL to make the BlackBerry brand what it once was.... you were expecting way too much out of a licensing deal.
    jakie55 and FF22 like this.
    05-18-17 09:15 AM
    First it was April, then it was May 5th
    It was NEVER May 5th. Ever.

Repeat after me: it was never May 5th.
    Carjackd likes this.
    05-18-17 09:23 AM
    Well, he did get one thing right, the launch was/is a complete disaster, much worse than Priv or the DTEK's, so far I wouldn't even consider what is happening as a launch, rather an attempt to release a product from a garage manufacturing company (which TLC is not since they are 8'th place in mobile market if I remember correctly).
    Sales could have been good if the launch would have been thought through.
    im referring with his comments on specs not about the launch because there's no need for the emphasis obviously its a disaster

Posted via CB10
    05-18-17 09:27 AM
    I don't know where you people got the idea that businessmen don't care about outdated specs as long as the phone is trustworthy. Come on, the yups only go for latest and fastest. The K1 is absolutely not attractive to cool hipsters.
    05-18-17 09:28 AM
    I disagree with you, for a phone that is oriented for business men, it's not unlocked and it doesn't have dual sim, the only two features that matter to any traveler.
    I agree on both parts! It should be unlocked like I am getting and it should be dual sim cause I travel a lot and I have to carry two phones which I don't like.
    05-18-17 09:33 AM
    Why do you think you won't be able to buy unlocked soon someday in Canada or US ? BTW, it's not just for "business men".
    My wife whom is a litigator loves the KEYone (unlocked) and I bet types on it way more than most business men or women.
    So let's say this phone is for professionals, business people, consumers that are not into gaming that love a PBK but still want great apps.
    *Using unlocked European KEYone version on Rogers and works great! Been to many remote areas already and still get LTE everywhere.
    Last edited by Pinot2015; 05-18-17 at 09:55 AM.
    sirk25, PantherBlitz and FF22 like this.
    05-18-17 09:39 AM
    LOL at this post. "Business Men" don't need to unlock the phones because we don't care, work pays for my plan and I pay for the device so I don't really care if Bell could offer me $10 lower a month or Koodo or whatever other carrier deals are out there I'm sticking with Rogers because I don't care what the monthly price is, it's paid for

Why would you buy a device and spend $50 just to unlock it? Doesn't make sense as it's not going to be a true unlocked device.
    05-18-17 09:40 AM
    LOL at this post. "Business Men" don't need to unlock the phones because we don't care, work pays for my plan and I pay for the device so I don't really care if Bell could offer me $10 lower a month or Koodo or whatever other carrier deals are out there I'm sticking with Rogers because I don't care what the monthly price is, it's paid for

Why would you buy a device and spend $50 just to unlock it? Doesn't make sense as it's not going to be a true unlocked device.
    Exactly
    05-18-17 09:43 AM
    I just got a BBMobile email! Lol
    05-18-17 10:19 AM
    I just got a BBMobile email! Lol
    Me too!
    Attached Thumbnails Another disastrous launch.-133276.jpg  
    05-18-17 10:20 AM
    Me too!
    So did I. Unfortunate for non Rogers customers and those that want Factory Unlocked.
    I bet they wait and do USA and Canada at same time for factory unlocked otherwise the Americans would just order from Canadian site.
    sirk25 likes this.
    05-18-17 10:29 AM
    Dual sim is still a thing huh? Traveling for a long period of time overseas allow for multiple carrier? I thought international calling and data was becoming affordable enough to not have to worry about this. I don't travel internationally so just wanting some insight.
    05-18-17 10:49 AM
    *phew* thank goodness someone made a new thread about this. We don't have enough of them on these forums.
    05-18-17 11:15 AM
    Repeat after me... "Specs are not everything."

Those modest specs are the reason people are getting 2 days battery life out of it. If you want a OLED screen with a 4K resolution and SD835, look elsewhere. Sure, 4GB RAM would have been nice but from all the videos I have seen of the K1, it seems to be doing just fine with those specs.
    "Doing just fine" isn't exactly promising for longevity.

Legacy BlackBerry devices were great at "doing just fine" and couldn't compete on software because of hardware limitations.

App redraws, slow Device Search, and general lag can only get worse as the software demands better hardware as time goes on.
    05-18-17 11:51 AM
    I don't know where you people got the idea that businessmen don't care about outdated specs as long as the phone is trustworthy. Come on, the yups only go for latest and fastest. The K1 is absolutely not attractive to cool hipsters.
    Because this website doesn't understand how specs matter long term.

They're of the same mindset that made Lazaridis laugh at the iPhone. There's no reason that toys and tools need to be mutually exclusive.
    MikeX74 and Plazmic Flame like this.
    05-18-17 11:55 AM
    Just to reassure everyone, I put the KEYᵒⁿᵉ right beside my dtek60, and did a whole bunch of speed tests. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ was just as fast if not slightly faster then the dtek60. I tried navigating the ux, moving in and out of apps, loading big games, etc.

There will be absolutely no issues with performance.
    05-18-17 11:58 AM
    Just to reassure everyone, I put the KEYᵒⁿᵉ right beside my dtek60, and did a whole bunch of speed tests. The KEYᵒⁿᵉ was just as fast if not slightly faster then the dtek60. I tried navigating the ux, moving in and out of apps, loading big games, etc.

There will be absolutely no issues with performance.
    Impressive. Thanks for the comparison.
    05-18-17 12:02 PM
152 123 ...