'To find out, we reached out to BlackBerry Mobile and had a representative confirm that yes, indeed, the BlackBerry KEYone will receive an upgrade to Android Oreo. Additionally, the BlackBerry Motion will also get an upgrade to Android Oreo'.
    So 'a representative ' confirms this, and that makes it true??
    Seem to remember that there were 'representatives' saying that the Dteks would get 'N' as well, but that will not happen.
    A 'representative' could be anybody, tea lady, cleaner, etc.
    Words mean nothing, actions are what we want..Fed up with these 'paper promises' that we keep hearing about.
    Until an upgrade is actually launched, believe NOTHING.
    As for why we need these upgrades when they are so much alike, well, the support firstly.
    If you are 'stuck' on 'M' and don't get 'N' your 'security updates' finish next year. If you have been ungraded to 'N' then you have another 12-18 months of updates...simple really!!
    The representative is "highly" placed. There is no doubt this is a firm commitment from BlackBerry Mobile.

And no, BlackBerry "proper" never promised N for the DTEKs.
    Last edited by conite; 11-18-17 at 11:48 AM.
    11-18-17 10:35 AM
    Plus BlackBerry has the extra hardening work.
    Exactly! GooBerry phones will always lag. With everything there is a trade-off.
    11-18-17 11:34 AM
    I think it was the head tea lady actually, and I'd be VERY suprised if the keyone and the Motion don't get it. I'm sure it'll come, but later rather than sooner.
    The main upgrade I liked the sound of on Oreo was the background app optimisation, so that they use less battery life.
    It's also true that the layperson or non-geek (very few on CB I think) really even know what an OS is let alone what a certain processor does, especially on Android. Maybe it's easier on Apple as they have two versions of a single phone, although I don't think I'd worry if I had the 10 or the 11 chip.
    Up to the time I turned 'tech-interested' coinciding with the proposed launch of the Keyone and joining the site, I had little idea or interest in processores, security updates or the OS. I just wanted a good screen size and a pretty phone that had some show off value. Sorry if I sound shallow!!!! You guys on here, like Conite, have wisened me up and taken away my blissful ignorance. You've popped my tech cherry so to speak.

So, do we want Oreo? Yes, especially if it was promised, but for a VERY large majority of the non-geek public, it won't make any difference when it comes round to Xmas or Black Friday buying time.
    11-19-17 05:56 AM
    'To find out, we reached out to BlackBerry Mobile and had a representative confirm that yes, indeed, the BlackBerry KEYone will receive an upgrade to Android Oreo. Additionally, the BlackBerry Motion will also get an upgrade to Android Oreo'.
    So 'a representative ' confirms this, and that makes it true??
    Seem to remember that there were 'representatives' saying that the Dteks would get 'N' as well, but that will not happen.
    A 'representative' could be anybody, tea lady, cleaner, etc.
    Words mean nothing, actions are what we want..Fed up with these 'paper promises' that we keep hearing about.
    Until an upgrade is actually launched, believe NOTHING.
    As for why we need these upgrades when they are so much alike, well, the support firstly.
    If you are 'stuck' on 'M' and don't get 'N' your 'security updates' finish next year. If you have been ungraded to 'N' then you have another 12-18 months of updates...simple really!!
    1) They won't do it!

2) They said they would.

1) Show me where they said that!

2) Right here.

1) Well... just because they said it doesn't mean they'll do it!

2) Let me guess... you're still waiting for Obama's "real" birth certificate?
    FF22 and megafan2000 like this.
    11-19-17 09:14 AM
    Certainly from a "feature" perspective, I would agree, the changes are minimal. Picture-in-picture and autofill APIs are two I can think of.

But the under the hood changes are quite significant with this particular update.
    Multi window support ; direct response to notifications; faster access to quick settings; double tap of recent apps button switches to previous app.

These are minor compared to the new features in Marshmallow, but they all improve efficiency, which gives me hope that the Android team recognizes how convoluted many simple tasks are. The pace of improvements in Android is why I finally bought a BlackBerry Android. I really am hopeful that Android will keep getting better.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    11-19-17 10:24 AM
    Multi window support ; direct response to notifications; faster access to quick settings; double tap of recent apps button switches to previous app.

These are minor compared to the new features in Marshmallow, but they all improve efficiency, which gives me hope that the Android team recognizes how convoluted many simple tasks are. The pace of improvements in Android is why I finally bought a BlackBerry Android. I really am hopeful that Android will keep getting better.

And best of all, battery optimizations!

Android Nougat vs Android Oreo: What's the difference? - Tech Advisor
    11-19-17 02:14 PM

Plus BlackBerry has the extra hardening work.
    I love it when BlackBerry talks dirty!
    11-19-17 09:04 PM
    As I know Sony quite well, they have just decided to be first despite the fact that they have some bloatware that also has to be adapted.
    11-20-17 12:53 AM
    Honestly, in this case I really would not care, as the KEYone is so well rounded and the software is working great for me.
    The story was different with my Priv, which had performance and battery life issues in the later stages, there my hope was that Nougat may fix that.
    But the KEYone already is that great, so as long as the security updates are rolling in, I'm happy
    11-21-17 01:02 AM
    One big issues with O is that the battery optimisations are almost impossible to properly suppress and this gives potential issues with guaranteeing delivery and execution of a push message (as a developer we have seen this ourselves). Given the importance of the BlackBerry as a messaging devices, a laggy experience could be potentially reputationally disastrous.
    There are already issues creeping on on N with this problem (search Nine Mail push issues) so it wouldn't surprise me if some effort was needed to overcome them in O.
    11-21-17 01:21 AM
    I only care about security patch each month
    11-21-17 02:03 AM
    I'm more concerned about when ATT is going to push it after its released. If they do, in fact push it at all.
    11-21-17 02:04 AM
    As I know Sony quite well, they have just decided to be first despite the fact that they have some bloatware that also has to be adapted.
    Yes, but that bloatware is not tightly integrated with the OS. Except the Stamina thing they are standalone apps as far as I remember based on my experience with the Z5. So they have little to none to do with those.
    Hub on BlackBerry is a different story.
    11-21-17 04:26 AM
    I'm more concerned about when ATT is going to push it after its released. If they do, in fact push it at all.
    They seem good with the security patches so far. So I'm hopeful.

11-21-17 07:54 AM
    You're right, until August 2019 at least, my mistake.
    I can easily run the KEYᵒⁿᵉ this long, I see no reason to update my device even if the K2 drops before then.
    11-21-17 08:18 AM
    I can easily run the KEYᵒⁿᵉ this long, I see no reason to update my device even if the K2 drops before then.
    I'm concerned about security updates, not about if K1 can run without hiccups at that time. I need a secure device for work.
    11-21-17 08:23 AM
    Yes, battery life seems to get better with newer updates. People attribute the KEYone's excellent battery life to the 625 chip, and this is true to some extent. However, Nougat is as much to be praised for this. If the Priv had Nougat, it's battery life would improve significantly. Oreo will only extend the KEYone's amazing battery life.
    11-21-17 08:35 AM
    Yes, battery life seems to get better with newer updates. People attribute the KEYone's excellent battery life to the 625 chip, and this is true to some extent. However, Nougat is as much to be praised for this. If the Priv had Nougat, it's battery life would improve significantly.
    As my Xperia Z5 did despite Sony has the Stamina thing in their phones.
    Nougat would have been a great update for Priv.
    11-21-17 08:38 AM
43 12