11-17-17 10:27 PM
    Android has matured to the point now where it doesn't make much difference.
    11-17-17 10:38 PM
    What is your point?

Oreo has been explicitly confirmed for both KEYᵒⁿᵉ and Motion.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-17-17 11:01 PM
    What is your point?

My point is that it will take a very long time until we see it and it may not even happen at all, despite it being confirmed.

This is my opinion.
    11-17-17 11:09 PM
    My point is that it will take a very long time until we see it and it may not even happen at all, despite it being confirmed.

This is my opinion.
    Why do you have that opinion?
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-17-17 11:18 PM
    Why do you have that opinion?
    Because of how PRIV was handled in that regard.
    11-17-17 11:25 PM
    Because of how PRIV was handled in that regard.
    1) Different company.
    2) Priv got M 6 months after it was launched on the Nexus 5X/6P, and 1-2 months after the initial Galaxy S6 rollout.
    3) TCL hinted early 2017.
    11-17-17 11:33 PM
    1) Different company.
    2) Priv got M 6 months after it was launched on the Nexus 5X/6P.
    3) TCL hinted early 2017.
    Well, I hope I am wrong then!
    11-17-17 11:35 PM
    I think you're missing the point or the article slightly.

It's not talking about those devices that launched a while ago and aren't getting updates. (although that is part of the issue).

It's talking about how OEMs are releasing new devices with software version over a year old.

Now, at the 3 month mark of a new release, I still personally consider it "early days", and a few devices should be shipping with the new version, and updates should start coming out.

And that seems to be the trend again.

However, this is more like: Why is the Motion being released with Nougat and not Oreo?

Well, in reality there are a lot of reasons for that. Good and bad reasons.

But as much as I think that the Keyone is trash, it's not because it hasn't been updated to Oreo yet.

Now, give me 3 more months, and it might start being a real issue.

As of right now TCL has zero track record of updating their devices.

Since it's all new territory, for now we have to believe their words.

If they turn out to be as bad at updating their software as they are at putting glue on screens, then it will be another conversation for then.
    11-17-17 11:49 PM
    Why is the Motion being released with Nougat and not Oreo?
    The Motorola Moto X4, the Nokia 8, the Lenovo K8, the BlackBerry Motion, and the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact are the major devices that were launched over the last few weeks.

Of all of them, only the Sony has Oreo.

Plus BlackBerry has the extra hardening work.
    jamesharmeling and BigBadWulf like this.
    11-18-17 12:17 AM
    What is your point?

Where? I've bed looking at that news. 😀
    11-18-17 01:08 AM
    The Motorola Moto X4, the Nokia 8, the Lenovo K8, the BlackBerry Motion, and the Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact are the major devices that were launched over the last few weeks.

Of all of them, only the Sony has Oreo.

Plus BlackBerry has the extra hardening work.
    I'm curious....why do you think only the Sony has O right now?
    11-18-17 01:12 AM
    I think you're missing the point or the article slightly.

It's not talking about those devices that launched a while ago and aren't getting updates. (although that is part of the issue).

It's talking about how OEMs are releasing new devices with software version over a year old.

Now, at the 3 month mark of a new release, I still personally consider it "early days", and a few devices should be shipping with the new version, and updates should start coming out.

And that seems to be the trend again.

However, this is more like: Why is the Motion being released with Nougat and not Oreo?

Well, in reality there are a lot of reasons for that. Good and bad reasons.

But as much as I think that the Keyone is trash, it's not because it hasn't been updated to Oreo yet.

Now, give me 3 more months, and it might start being a real issue.

As of right now TCL has zero track record of updating their devices.

Since it's all new territory, for now we have to believe their words.

If they turn out to be as bad at updating their software as they are at putting glue on screens, then it will be another conversation for then.
    I don't think I missed the point. To me, the point is that if new devices don't get the latest then expecting an older device like the KEYone to get it is a stretch even though it was confirmed.

As I mentioned earlier, I wish I am wrong!
    11-18-17 01:12 AM
    Where? I've bed looking at that news.
    BlackBerry KEYone will receive an upgrade to Android Oreo https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...e-android-oreo
    Byrese likes this.
    11-18-17 06:46 AM
    Android has matured to the point now where it doesn't make much difference.
    Problem is security updates. If you buy a device with Nougat now, you'll have only about 1 year of updates before Google stop providing them.
    Android's fragmentation is something almost imposible to fix unless Google had a policy similar to Microsoft's with WP where you had to comply with some minimal requirements and only customization allowed was installation on non-system (uninstallable) apps. And of course don't let the makers or operators to control the updates.
    11-18-17 08:43 AM
    Problem is security updates. If you buy a device with Nougat now, you'll have only about 1 year of updates before Google stop providing them.
    Marshmallow is at 3 years patch support and counting. It will probably finish at 3.5 years.

That gives Nougat another 2.5 years or so.
    11-18-17 08:49 AM
    Marshmallow is at 3 years patch support and counting. It will probably finish at 3.5 years.

That gives Nougat another 2.5 years or so.
    You're right, until August 2019 at least, my mistake.
    11-18-17 09:06 AM
    What features of O does N not have that you cannot live without? Just curious.
    11-18-17 09:27 AM
    What features of O does N not have that you cannot live without? Just curious.
    "Live without" is a bit dramatic. But I like Nougat much more than Marshmallow. I find each iteration a decent improvement over the last.
    FF22 and wikison like this.
    11-18-17 09:32 AM
    "Live without" is a bit dramatic. But I like Nougat much more than Marshmallow. I find each iteration a decent improvement over the last.
    Not really. It just makes me wonder what is it specifically about every new release that makes people get so upset that they can't have? Personally I think they get more and more bloated each time with features that nobody will use. That very general but I'm sure it applies to a large majority of everyday phone users. Not only BlackBerry.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-18-17 09:36 AM
    Not really. It just makes me wonder what is it specifically about every new release that makes people get so upset that they can't have? Personally I think they get more and more bloated each time with features that nobody will use. That very general but I'm sure it applies to a large majority of everyday phone users. Not only BlackBerry.
    I actually think it's the opposite. The code gets cleaner as time goes on, and performance and battery optimizations are improved.

That's why the KEYᵒⁿᵉ's 625 on Nougat is as at least as snappy as the DTEK60's 820 on Marshmallow.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-18-17 10:13 AM
    I actually think it's the opposite. The code gets cleaner as time goes on, and performance and battery optimizations are improved.

That's why the KEYᵒⁿᵉ's 625 on Nougat is as at least as snappy as the DTEK60's 820 on Marshmallow.
    Well i'm more asking about *FEATURES* than speed (don't get me wrong, faster is usually better). I'm asking what doesn't Nougat have in FEATURES that people absolutely MUST have in Oreo and absolutely are champing at the bit to get their hands on? It just seems like people lining up for weeks (LOL) to buy the next iPhone. I know someone who just *upgraded* to the iPhone 5S and it does everything he needs.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    11-18-17 10:16 AM
    Well i'm more asking about *FEATURES* than speed (don't get me wrong, faster is usually better). I'm asking what doesn't Nougat have in FEATURES that people absolutely MUST have in Oreo and absolutely are champing at the bit to get their hands on? It just seems like people lining up for weeks (LOL) to buy the next iPhone. I know someone who just *upgraded* to the iPhone 5S and it does everything he needs.
    Certainly from a "feature" perspective, I would agree, the changes are minimal. Picture-in-picture and autofill APIs are two I can think of.

But the under the hood changes are quite significant with this particular update.
    11-18-17 10:20 AM
    ... As of right now TCL has zero track record of updating their devices. ...
    TCL already has a track record from pushing out security updates to its Alcatel devices.
    11-18-17 10:26 AM
    BlackBerry KEYone will receive an upgrade to Android Oreo https://www.crackberry.com/blackberr...e-android-oreo

'To find out, we reached out to BlackBerry Mobile and had a representative confirm that yes, indeed, the BlackBerry KEYone will receive an upgrade to Android Oreo. Additionally, the BlackBerry Motion will also get an upgrade to Android Oreo'.
    So 'a representative ' confirms this, and that makes it true??
    Seem to remember that there were 'representatives' saying that the Dteks would get 'N' as well, but that will not happen.
    A 'representative' could be anybody, tea lady, cleaner, etc.
    Words mean nothing, actions are what we want..Fed up with these 'paper promises' that we keep hearing about.
    Until an upgrade is actually launched, believe NOTHING.
    As for why we need these upgrades when they are so much alike, well, the support firstly.
    If you are 'stuck' on 'M' and don't get 'N' your 'security updates' finish next year. If you have been ungraded to 'N' then you have another 12-18 months of updates...simple really!!
    cribble2k likes this.
    11-18-17 10:31 AM
43 12