Just installed a Kenwood touchscreen unit into my car which is compatible with Android Auto. Using the BE K1, I had some issues with a few cords and disconnecting. Now, using the best cord I have and it works, but very slow and AA disconnects / hangs after a few minutes.

So I started using a Samsung S7 and AA is flawless.

The S7 is running Oreo, so I am hopeful that could fix the problem with AA and the KeyOne.

Anyone else have issues with Android Auto and the KeyOne? Is there a recommended brand of cord I should consider? I would rather not factory reset the KeyOne, but I would if it can fix this. I love the KeyOne and want to keep using it. But if it can't figure out how to keep a good connection with Android Auto, I may have to toss it.
    06-25-18 01:03 PM
    I have black edition KEYᵒⁿᵉ and use Android Auto with my VW Passat. it works. it takes around 20 seconds to boot up but works fine from there. No lag and no crashes. just a bit slow sometimes.

I have a pretty bare bones KEYᵒⁿᵉ tho. 80 apps installed and kill apps on screen lock. dunno if it really makes a difference but I do it anyway!
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    06-25-18 02:48 PM
    Just installed a Kenwood touchscreen unit into my car which is compatible with Android Auto. Using the BE K1, I had some issues with a few cords and disconnecting. Now, using the best cord I have and it works, but very slow and AA disconnects / hangs after a few minutes.

So I started using a Samsung S7 and AA is flawless.

The S7 is running Oreo, so I am hopeful that could fix the problem with AA and the KeyOne.

Anyone else have issues with Android Auto and the KeyOne? Is there a recommended brand of cord I should consider? I would rather not factory reset the KeyOne, but I would if it can fix this. I love the KeyOne and want to keep using it. But if it can't figure out how to keep a good connection with Android Auto, I may have to toss it.
    Do you have issues when charging your phone, or connecting it to a PC? Like, not charging unless the cable sits a specific way, or it constantly disconnects from a PC?
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    06-25-18 06:27 PM
    I use Andoird Auto with my K1 in my 2017 Silverado OEM system and it works flawless. boots up instantly and works perfect. love it. I think the extra 1GB ram makes a huge difference cuz my K1 works amazing.
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    06-25-18 08:30 PM
    to get my Keyone to work properly with android auto, I always kill the open apps before connecting. it works 90% of the time then. if it doesn't work I usually restart the device. it's a pain in the butt but it works. mine is only 3gb so I think that might be an issue.
    DOCTOREVIL8 and Sean Flaherty like this.
    06-25-18 09:39 PM
    No issues here with my BE Keyone soon to be traded in to the CDMA unit with my new Pacifica mini-van. Doesn't lag at all. Works great! Maybe 3-5 seconds tops one you plug it in. Had to get a nicer USB C cable, the one I had with a micro USB to USB C adapter didn't work!!

Fast charge also works very well with the same USB port and also while the van is off (I have the electric plug in model so maybe that could be why it works to charge it with it off, but I'm not sure).
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    06-25-18 10:40 PM
    Do you have issues when charging your phone, or connecting it to a PC? Like, not charging unless the cable sits a specific way, or it constantly disconnects from a PC?
    No issues when playing with the cord when charging at home. I did have issue in the car when doing this. I swapped the cord and it was much better. But still have lag and disconnection shortly thereafter. I may consider a new robust cable.
    06-26-18 06:24 PM
    No issues here with my BE Keyone soon to be traded in to the CDMA unit with my new Pacifica mini-van. Doesn't lag at all. Works great! Maybe 3-5 seconds tops one you plug it in. Had to get a nicer USB C cable, the one I had with a micro USB to USB C adapter didn't work!!

Fast charge also works very well with the same USB port and also while the van is off (I have the electric plug in model so maybe that could be why it works to charge it with it off, but I'm not sure).
    I'll check Amazon for a better quality cable. I'm hoping that is the main culprit.
    06-26-18 06:25 PM
    I'll check Amazon for a better quality cable. I'm hoping that is the main culprit.
    I really like cables from Anker and Aukey. They're very sturdy.
    06-27-18 10:10 AM
    UPDATE:

Just bought Anker Powerline USB C cord, 3 foot. Tried with the KeyOne. Android Auto connected quickly. Started switching between maps and music, and the system hung within a minute of use.

I may need to wipe the phone and start from scratch.
    06-29-18 07:50 AM
    UPDATE:

Just bought Anker Powerline USB C cord, 3 foot. Tried with the KeyOne. Android Auto connected quickly. Started switching between maps and music, and the system hung within a minute of use.

I may need to wipe the phone and start from scratch.
    Try doing a factory reset on your head unit first. That's usually easier with less setup hassle than a phone.
    06-29-18 10:29 AM
    UPDATE 2:

I did a factory reset on the Keyone.

Still a complete disaster with the new cable. It freezes Android Auto almost immediately. This thing must be too underpowered to run it. Or there are too many background services killing its ability for this. I may need to go through and kill tasks one at a time. I'm going to look at the Hub and its services first.
    06-30-18 09:13 AM
    I think I have narrowed the problem down to the usb cord. When I use the cord that came with the KeyOne, it works for a few minutes before it hangs. Bought a new cord, and it dies within 10 seconds of connecting. I've ordered another on at the advice of the gentleman that installed the stereo into my car. Anyone else recommend a cable that works well with their KeyOne and Android Auto?

Thanks
    07-11-18 03:10 PM
    I think I have narrowed the problem down to the usb cord. When I use the cord that came with the KeyOne, it works for a few minutes before it hangs. Bought a new cord, and it dies within 10 seconds of connecting. I've ordered another on at the advice of the gentleman that installed the stereo into my car. Anyone else recommend a cable that works well with their KeyOne and Android Auto?

Thanks
    I'm sorry to hear that the Anker cable didn't work out. I can say that the K1 is not underpowered for Android Auto. It has the same internals as a Moto Z Play (same processor and 3GB ram), and that worked fine on my friend's head unit. Unfortunately he doesn't have that car anymore, and the car he has now doesn't support Android Auto. Otherwise I'd have checked it with my K1.

Thinking about the issue, have you checked if Power Center is managing Android Auto? Might have to change that setting.
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    07-11-18 04:15 PM
    maybe try a shorter cable? what vehicle are you using with? I'm genuinely baffled as to why it hangs for you but works for others. 4gb of RAM should be plenty.
    DOCTOREVIL8 likes this.
    07-11-18 04:48 PM
    I checked the Power Centre. It isn't managing Android Auto.

The Anker cable I bought, is a 3 foot cord. Smallest they offered.

For me, it's too bad the KeyOne is a usb c. I have so many of the older design I could have tried.

The new cable should be here in a couple days.
    07-11-18 07:39 PM
    Did you ever try the factory reset? What version of Android is the Samsung S7 running? What version of AA? Does the Samsung S7 also use usb-c?
    07-12-18 12:59 AM
    Did you ever try the factory reset? What version of Android is the Samsung S7 running? What version of AA? Does the Samsung S7 also use usb-c?
    I just did a fresh factory reset on the KeyOne this past weekend. The failure with Android Auto are similar to before the reset.

The Samsung is running Oreo. Android Auto is the latest on both the Samsung and KeyOne. The Samsung does not have USB C. The Samsung supplied cord works with the Galaxy s7 and Android Auto.

I figure it's the cord because when I was testing in the showroom, it worked flawlessly with the salesperson's usb cord. And different cords I use give slightly different results. If I use a usb c adaptor on a different cord, it's worse. Also reading online, many Android users having problems with different cords.

I sure hope it's the cord, because that's an easy enough solution. One of the big reasons I upgraded to one of these units (Kenwood DDX694S) in my car was the poor Bluetooth performance from the stock radio.
    07-12-18 07:18 AM
    So I received two new usb c cords today from Amazon. One was recommended from the place I bought the Kenwood from. I also bought another one that seemed like the shielding was very good and had gold plated ends.

The recommended one was completely useless. The Kenwood kept stating there is something wrong with the usb. It started Android Auto but froze at home screen every time. The better shielded one couldn't start Android Auto at all.

Getting desperate, I tried the cord that came with the KeyOne again. It started perfectly and everything seemed to work well. So I took the car for a drive with music and a google maps destination. Less than a minute, it froze. Beeped and restarted Android Auto. This kept happening every minute or two until I just unplugged it.

Every cord I have tried gives different results, all useless for Android Auto. I feel like I should walk into Best Buy and buy 10 cords, then end up returning 9 of them. But from what I can tell, most cords are online only purchases.

Getting very frustrated.
    07-13-18 08:45 PM