We all know what we got, and a lot of people do not like it. Do you think this would have gone over better design wise?

Alternate Design Idea-mixury.png
    01-26-17 08:41 AM
    I can't speak for others, it being "cooler" could result in better sales, but for me, the software buttons is a turn-off for me since their behavior isn't consistent from what I've read and it takes an extra step to make them appear. I'd rather have a phone where I can navigate through it without effort and touching or pressing something works everytime. A few millimeters more screen makes no difference for me...

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    zensen likes this.
    01-26-17 09:03 AM
    Like it!
    01-26-17 09:29 AM
    Reminds me of the beautiful frame-less Sharp phones, very very nice rendering!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    01-26-17 10:16 AM
    We all know what we got, and a lot of people do not like it. Do you think this would have gone over better design wise?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mixury.png 
Views:	1510 
Size:	476.0 KB 
ID:	416504
    Would have tripled the price, at least, and taken years to develop. Where is the earpiece and front camera? Nothing like this phone exists.
    01-26-17 02:11 PM
    Nothing like this phone exists.
    Something like this does exist from Xaiomi. The Xaiomi MiMix. A few links are below to the product.

Original smartphone Xiaomi Mi MIX at an affordable price - Buy Xiaomi Mi MIX mobile phone | Xiaomi-Mi.com

This render appears to a blending of the MiMix and Mercury.
    01-26-17 03:22 PM
    Something like this does exist from Xaiomi. The Xaiomi MiMix. A few links are below to the product.

Original smartphone Xiaomi Mi MIX at an affordable price - Buy Xiaomi Mi MIX mobile phone | Xiaomi-Mi.com

It's like asking if a Toyota would've been received better if it looked like a Ferrari. It's a silly question.
    01-26-17 04:29 PM
    That is really, really nice! I wish the Mercury looked like that.

Posted via CB10
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    01-26-17 05:22 PM
    That's exactly what this is.
    01-26-17 06:43 PM
    Great! Except for making phone calls. Users of the Mi Mix complain about low volume of the "earpiece". https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-...e-low-t3509484

Also, the Mi Mix is absolutely HORRIBLE to hold in the hand. I really hope that TCL / BlackBerry will continue to put functional design first!
    01-27-17 06:53 AM
    Great! Except for making phone calls. Users of the Mi Mix complain about low volume of the "earpiece". https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-...e-low-t3509484

Also, the Mi Mix is absolutely HORRIBLE to hold in the hand. I really hope that TCL / BlackBerry will continue to put functional design first!
    Exactly.

01-27-17 07:19 AM

Blackberry designers are obviously dinosaurs
    mod9 likes this.
    01-27-17 07:28 AM
    Blackberry designers are obviously dinosaurs
    Hahahahaha! They are, aren't they?

Posted via CB10
    01-27-17 08:46 AM
    I don't like this design. I prefer the version they are proposing.

Posted via CB10
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    01-27-17 08:51 AM
    That's exactly what this is.
    you mean the "most fragile phone"? not for me... it has to pass the drop test 1st. beside, the top and bottom curve are not the same, the top and bottom do not have the similar tone (make the key board like add on after thought). Not a balanced design (lack of symmetry and right proportion - not to my taste... pass. (Asia/French taste? I like Roman/Greek better). with the head of xiaomi jumped to facebook, may be something better come out from there? Next?
    01-27-17 09:58 AM
    Guess no front camera, ear speaker, or notification LED.
    01-27-17 11:17 AM
    What would be nice is if they make a screen where it's completely clear from the back out, so you can hide the camera behind the screen. That way when people take selfies they can look at the screen and it won't look like they are looking slightly away. I don't do selfies, but I think that would be a good marketable feature.

Flatman likes this.
    01-27-17 11:24 AM
    What would be nice is if they make a screen where it's completely clear from the back out, so you can hide the camera behind the screen. That way when people take selfies they can look at the screen and it won't look like they are looking slightly away. I don't do selfies, but I think that would be a good marketable feature.

Also, by the same logic, surely you could have a notification light behind the screen as well!
    01-27-17 11:35 AM
    Also, by the same logic, surely you could have a notification light behind the screen as well!
    Well, no, that would be visible to the user. I don't want anything interfering with the image, no blinking light, no distortion (thus why I hate curved screens), nothing...

I wasn't talking about this concept, I actually really dislike this concept for several reasons, I was simply talking about what could be a good feature for future phones...

01-27-17 11:45 AM

I think this pictures sums up what I'm feeling right now hahaha. But then again, where would the front facing camera go and the earphone speaker? The Mi Mix does an OK job of having the speaker behind the glass but its not ideal.

Alternate Design Idea-innvwpj.png
    01-28-17 03:45 AM
    I liked it, but I liked more the slide keyboard because I don't care about thickness.
    01-28-17 07:28 AM
    This render would actually sell. BBRY gave up doing nice design a long time ago. 9700 z10 (basic slab but nicer than all except the Nexus 5) and Classic are the last great looking devices.

Examples of terrible form factor or visual design z30 and Passport blending silver and black to emphasize the fault rather than the form.

My current daily driver is a Pixel/BBRY - duller than dirt from a design perspective.
    01-28-17 11:10 AM
    This render would actually sell. BBRY gave up doing nice design a long time ago. 9700 z10 (basic slab but nicer than all except the Nexus 5) and Classic are the last great looking devices.

Examples of terrible form factor or visual design z30 and Passport blending silver and black to emphasize the fault rather than the form.

My current daily driver is a Pixel/BBRY - duller than dirt from a design perspective.
    Eh, I'm sure it'll be nice for them to sell more, but I personally care more about how practical it is for ME to use. So I'm glad we have what we have...

01-28-17 12:25 PM
    "Blackberry designers are obviously dinosaurs". you mean award wining designers? neat. I would be the cheer leader for the dianosaus... (not sure who is going to receive the award... hopefully, those designers still around to collect the credit... not those waving iphone or samsungs current "BBers" - if you do not like your own brand to show case it with your own hands, how could you turn you company around? I wouldn't againest to carry two or three devices, beacuse BB Hub software suppose to be multi platform, but your key device, should be BB-droid if that is Chen out there to push for it... wondering what their business card said? BB or QNX... if they want to QNX only, change the company name to avoid confusion or spin off the handset software/BES as saperate company call it BB and everything else QNX... don't get the employee represent BB to wave other brand handsets).
    By the way, correct me if I am wrong: "best of" CES BB award is better than "top pick of" xiaomi based on my limited english knowledge. something lost in translation regarding which design is superior? I rest my case.
    Last edited by stlabrat; 01-28-17 at 07:44 PM.
    01-28-17 07:11 PM
    01-28-17 09:31 PM
30 12