All these social media apps are seriously killing phone battery. I removed Facebook, Facebook messanger, Twitter. Instagram, pinterest and linked in and phone battery is so much better.

I just use chrome to access them all. Only thing I lose are notifications and I am OK with that.

I got tired to hear "beep" every five minutes.

Browser is just as good as dedicated apps.
    anon(8679041) likes this.
    09-15-17 08:13 AM
    Yes, if you don't give much about the notifications, the browser solution is a much better solution. Of course those Social media apps will cost you valuable battery life, but what do you expect? Often you can choose to update/refresh the apps only when you open them.

The battery saver will cut-down of the data-collecting intensity and will save battery too. I guess it all depends on your preferred use and priorities and main (intended) use of your smart phone?
    bitek likes this.
    09-15-17 08:26 AM
    OP, first of all, you can manually disable both notifications and background data usage on those social media apps (and every app ever for that matter). And second, Chrome is a pretty big battery drainer. Currently using CM Browser/Samsung browser
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-15-17 09:01 AM
    OP, first of all, you can manually disable both notifications and background data usage on those social media apps (and every app ever for that matter). And second, Chrome is a pretty big battery drainer. Currently using CM Browser/Samsung browser
    I have cm browser as well.

Where do you disable both notification and background data ?

I do not think you can do it completely unfortunately.
    09-15-17 10:24 AM
    For notifs, go into Settings -> Apps -> (app name) -> Notifications -> Block all

For BG data, go into Settings -> Apps -> (app name) -> Data Usage -> Disable background data (and especially the unrestricted option underneath)
    DolemiteDONS likes this.
    09-15-17 10:37 AM
    For notifs, go into Settings -> Apps -> (app name) -> Notifications -> Block all

For BG data, go into Settings -> Apps -> (app name) -> Data Usage -> Disable background data (and especially the unrestricted option underneath)
    Ok. Ty
    09-15-17 02:17 PM
    A lot of these actually support notifications when accessing them through the browser, which I find to be a great compromise. Chrome should have a little pop-up when you access Facebook for example asking if you want to allow notifications.

I too have none of these apps installed any more as I found them to be huge battery and memory hogs - not sure why they tend to be so terribly optimised.
    09-16-17 12:09 AM
    CM browser is really good. You can tell the difference when you browse website like that with heavy advertising. It scrolls smoother with CM browser. I guess removing 30 ads makes difference.

http://www.interesticle.com/entertai...hotos-planes/2
    09-16-17 07:44 AM
    A lot of these actually support notifications when accessing them through the browser, which I find to be a great compromise. Chrome should have a little pop-up when you access Facebook for example asking if you want to allow notifications.

I too have none of these apps installed any more as I found them to be huge battery and memory hogs - not sure why they tend to be so terribly optimised.
    As boon pointed out once you disable notification and background services battery seems better. I did check.
    09-16-17 07:47 AM
    I just use chrome to access them all. Only thing I lose are notifications and I am OK with that.

I got tired to hear "beep" every five minutes.
    God Bless you! It was so satisfying to read that
    + you give less data to those "social media" companies. Yes you have only to gain out of this.
    I'd suggest using Firefox, if you don't really need chrome specifically. Just for the sake of supporting the competition.
    09-16-17 05:07 PM

I did what you suggested. In fact I did disable background services on most of my apps but it seems to work with notable exception for one.

Facebook messenger. I turned off notifications and background services but messages are keep coming. That one app is big battery drainer alone. I can bet that.
    09-17-17 07:06 AM
    Update; "draw of other apps" set to No will disable all incoming messages Facebook Messenger. I just do not know if this means that background services are completely disabled now
    09-17-17 09:01 AM