Don't see any reason to use BlackBerry name. They could have just used their software. If tcl up their game on design just a notch they can simply use BlackBerry name. Would gain more traction than alcatel.
    Sounds like we will understand the hardware intentions come first CES. They talk of the evolution of smartphones and to boldly go where they have not before?? Maybe that patent for the roll out keyboard that BlackBerry has will see the light of day

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 01:11 PM
    Don't see any reason to use BlackBerry name. They could have just used their software. If tcl up their game on design just a notch they can simply use BlackBerry name. Would gain more traction than alcatel.
    The BlackBerry name, along with hardening and apps, still has value to the security conscious.

Apart from the pkb model, I see no intelligent reason to use parts they don't already use in their other reference designs. Similar to DTEKs.
    12-22-16 01:15 PM
    The BlackBerry name, along with hardening and apps, still has value to the security conscious.

Apart from the pkb model, I see no intelligent reason to use parts they don't already use in their other reference designs. Similar to DTEKs.
    What I was trying to say is the security conscious is not that many for TCL.

But if they used the BlackBerry name instead of Alcatel they might have a better chance in terms of sales. So ditching the Alcatel name altogether apart from the markets they are not granted the BlackBerry name licence would be a better choice imo.

They have already seen the security conscious consumers with dtek line phones. I don't think they are very impressed.

Anyways I really hope the pkb makes a difference with proper marketing from TCL. Thus, we'll see flagship specced pkb once or twice a year for a competitive price. Plus the Mercury's design language is pretty available for evolution.

Just my two cents.
    12-22-16 01:51 PM

But if they used the BlackBerry name instead of Alcatel they might have a better chance in terms of sales. So ditching the Alcatel name altogether apart from the markets they are not granted the BlackBerry name licence would be a better choice imo.
    TCL, via its Alcatel brand, sold over 80 million devices in 2015, with substantial growth predicted for 2016. 8th biggest smartphone manufacturer in the world, just behind LG.

They will NEVER ditch their own branding. At best, they will deliver the same handsets in the BlackBerry-branded line, at a slight premium with BlackBerry value-add.
    12-22-16 02:10 PM
    TCL, via its Alcatel brand, sold over 80 million devices in 2015, with substantial growth predicted for 2016. 8th biggest smartphone manufacturer in the world, just behind LG.

They will NEVER ditch their own branding. At best, they will deliver the same handsets in the BlackBerry-branded line, at a slight premium with BlackBerry value-add.
    I believe the reason they sold that many is because of the pricing. Don't see any value in the Alcatel name itself. Plus, wonder how much profit they have made.

Considering TCL will try to increase their profits since it is a company, if they announce the same phones by different name, I fear BlackBerry will add almost nothing.

I firmly don't believe there exists any value for TCL if what you propose is the case. We have already experienced it through dtek50 and dtek60.

This is my opinion of course. They have thought about it more than I have. I guess .
    12-22-16 02:46 PM

I firmly don't believe there exists any value for TCL if what you propose is the case. We have already experienced it through dtek50 and dtek60.
    I assume TCL believes their marketing and distribution prowess will bring something to the table.
    12-22-16 03:25 PM
    BlackBerry might be onto something here with this low risk agreement. For all intensive purposes BlackBerry is out of the phone business and the revenue ($70) million last quarter is shrinking and isn't EXPECTED to be a big part of the future.

With the new agreement, John Chen indicated the margin is expected to be 90+% but if this venture becomes even remotely successful than the profits could be a nice little bonus.

I don't think TCL got into this agreement to sell a few hundred thousand phones. Say 3 million phones are sold and BlackBerry gets a cut of $30-40, we could be taking about $100 mil a year in revenue with BlackBerry keeping $90 million or more.

If the agreement with the Indonesian and potential Indian sales agreement can come close to bringing in something similar in terms of sales, it could be a nice strong financial stream for BlackBerry.

I have been a long time BlackBerry shareholder who's suffered a lot. The company is in better financial shape now than it was a few years ago. The stock price hasn't reflected that yet but for all intensive purpose the small revenue stream BlackBerry is building appears to be very high margin, not unlike the 90+% margin BlackBerry enjoyed with its service revenue business years ago. At one time BlackBerry was bringing in $1 billion a quarter.

Chen is on the board of directors for Disney and Wells Fargo. A quick look at other board members and you get a sense that his business acumen is in some unique company.

Hopefully this agreement brings some excellent, good quality devices at reasonable prices.

Posted via CB10
    12-22-16 04:22 PM
    BlackBerry might be onto something here with this low risk agreement. For all intensive purposes BlackBerry is out of the phone business and the revenue ($70) million last quarter is shrinking and isn't EXPECTED to be a big part of the future.

With the new agreement, John Chen indicated the margin is expected to be 90+% but if this venture becomes even remotely successful than the profits could be a nice little bonus.

I don't think TCL got into this agreement to sell a few hundred thousand phones. Say 3 million phones are sold and BlackBerry gets a cut of $30-40, we could be taking about $100 mil a year in revenue with BlackBerry keeping $90 million or more.

If the agreement with the Indonesian and potential Indian sales agreement can come close to bringing in something similar in terms of sales, it could be a nice strong financial stream for BlackBerry.

I have been a long time BlackBerry shareholder who's suffered a lot. The company is in better financial shape now than it was a few years ago. The stock price hasn't reflected that yet but for all intensive purpose the small revenue stream BlackBerry is building appears to be very high margin, not unlike the 90+% margin BlackBerry enjoyed with its service revenue business years ago. At one time BlackBerry was bringing in $1 billion a quarter.

Chen is on the board of directors for Disney and Wells Fargo. A quick look at other board members and you get a sense that his business acumen is in some unique company.

Hopefully this agreement brings some excellent, good quality devices at reasonable prices.

Posted via CB10
    But Chen must go! He Killed BB10!!!!111

Seriously though, he got a hot mess to start with. Props to even get that far to keep hardware. Other CEOs would've just shut it down and liquidate with no warning.
    12-22-16 04:25 PM

What makes you think all they will be doing is reference designs? The way they were talking today (front page article) it sure doesn't sound that way. I guess time will tell.
    12-22-16 04:48 PM
    Alcatel eeeehm Software is the new BlackBerry

#soon, later, later this year, fiscal year, commitment,...blablabla ~J.BlaBla Chen
    12-22-16 04:57 PM
    I actually have another theory on why TCL is licensing BlackBerry: they are actually copying Lenovo.

Lenovo acquired Motorola, and now serves as their flagship foreign brand. Their own Lenovo brand is positioned as lower end, and in the Chinese domestic market, they have even lower end Lenovos, plus Zuk.

TCL isn't doing much different here. They tried to make Alcatel the flagship brand, but it didn't seem to work, considering Alcatel's image isn't exactly well known outside of Europe before. So now, they licensed BlackBerry instead.

Basically it's an one to one segmenting:

TCT -> Lenovo

BlackBerry -> Motorola
    Alcatel -> Lenovo Mobile
    TCL Mobile -> Lenovo China and ZUK.

Which also explains why the TCL 950 rebadging of Idol 4 Pro never happened, that got replaced by the DTEK60, and Idol 4s got Windows Mobile instead.
    12-23-16 10:48 AM
111 ... 345