Hi all, finally I have the chance to get this phone after reading so many reviews and comments about it. I'm die hard Blackberry fan and I wanted to share with you guys cause even if a lot of things pleases me a lot, i'm concerned about a few others...

Got the UK version and used it since as a daily driver. In China to power up the phone you gotta use a router with VPN function integrated so that you can reach google and activate it the first time. A little bit of a pain but I guess it's all Android phone nowadays.

For the good points :
    - phone is beautiful, I love the style and on the outside the build quality is really good.
    - screen is very nice, I was worried that coming from the Priv I wouldn't like the 1080P screen, but I love it. The screen is so much easier to read while outside and even with direct sunlight.
    - the phone is less laggy than my Priv. It's not crazy fast. But definitely not laggy.
    - battery life is awesome, i've done 48hours +. It really changes the way I live and work with this phone.
    - fingerprint sensor on the space bar is perfect and efficient.

All over this phone is awesome and will be my daily driver until the Keytwo.

Although, since I got this phone i'm a bit worried about other points, which would not be significative if it was only one, but I noticed a few different ones:
    - took me 2 days and a few reboots to get the sound going trough the bottom speaker. Until then the sound from videos was only coming from the top front speaker normally used for call.
    - Sim card was recognized and then not recognized. Had to reboot the phone.
    - The phone shut down himself once at night while it still had 35% battery available (it's a pain cause If it happens again, it means i'll not be able to trust my phone for waking up alarm in the morning)
    - when you watch the screen with polarized sunglasses. You can see the screen perfectly on portrait mode, but if you turn the phone horizontally, you cannot see the screen again. It's all black. Turn it back on vertically again and you can see it. Not a big deal, but when you are outside taking pictures you have to take off your glasses, it's kinda ridiculous (tried with Ray ban and also a gucci pair of glasses) EDIT: it's normal as it is LCD display
    - the capacitive key to success "return" just on top of the keyboard, has a slight issue and when I press it, 50% of the time it clicks on the screen above it. It will then select whatever is on the screen above this bar...

All those things are not deal breaker individually, but all together, they are a bit of a bummer and worries me on the overall build quality of TCL phones.

In any case, keyboard is great (typing from it right now) and this phone is a beauty and a beast at the same time. Still, I hope TCL can straighten their quality control a bit.
    Last edited by darkbull; 06-04-17 at 10:41 AM.
    kitmo, Rico4you, rarsen and 1 others like this.
    06-03-17 08:46 PM
    Nice review
    06-03-17 08:51 PM
    Good review, thanks. I have a stupid question to ask you with your use of that device. Can you access Google Play Store anytime now that you have signed in using the VPN or can you ONLY do so on a wifi connection at your residence using your own router. Can you use Google Maps anywhere in China now that you are signed in, for instance? Just curious as I can't see much advantage to having access to the Play store if apps cannot be used outside your apartment.
    06-03-17 09:04 PM
    I don't think it is stupid questions.
    Answer will be good for those who travel over there
    06-03-17 09:06 PM
    ... Can you use Google Maps anywhere in China now that you are signed in, for instance? ...
    You can always use a GPS mapping app that uses offline maps.
    06-03-17 09:13 PM
    You can always use a GPS mapping app that uses offline maps.

Yeah, I know. I use Maps.Me when I go there. I am curious about Google Play apps only.
    06-03-17 09:15 PM
    Good review, thanks. I have a stupid question to ask you with your use of that device. Can you access Google Play Store anytime now that you have signed in using the VPN or can you ONLY do so on a wifi connection at your residence using your own router. Can you use Google Maps anywhere in China now that you are signed in, for instance? Just curious as I can't see much advantage to having access to the Play store if apps cannot be used outside your apartment.
    Hi Brookie, I need to turn on the VPN on my phone to use Google Play store or any other google related services.

The issue is when you open the phone, you can't install the VPN before you activate it for the first time, so you gotta have it embed in your router.

It's a bit of a pain, but it's better than being blocked on using only Chinese gvt approved APP's
    06-03-17 09:24 PM
    And BTw, I use also Maps.Me instead of google Maps in China... easier, cause even if google maps can be used with the VPN on the phone, it's way slower.
    brookie229 likes this.
    06-03-17 09:26 PM
    And BTw, I use also Maps.Me instead of google Maps in China... easier, cause even if google maps can be used with the VPN on the phone, it's way slower.
    Thanks for the info--helps me a lot. It is as I suspected and I get that Google Maps would be slower.
    06-03-17 09:44 PM
    Thanks for the info--helps me a lot. It is as I suspected and I get that Google Maps would be slower.
    I'm using Genius offline maps which as I recall is free to download maps and try for use without turn by turn navigation.
    06-03-17 10:34 PM
    Hi Brookie, I need to turn on the VPN on my phone to use Google Play store or any other google related services.

The issue is when you open the phone, you can't install the VPN before you activate it for the first time, so you gotta have it embed in your router.

It's a bit of a pain, but it's better than being blocked on using only Chinese gvt approved APP's
    Wowowowo!?!? Why does China block Google services?
    06-04-17 04:01 AM
    Lol, probably cause China wants to control what can be seen or searched for on the web and they want to support their own Internet and search provider company.
    06-04-17 08:09 AM
    When you want to do business in a foreign country, you either have to play by the rules imposed by that country or not at all. Google chose not to.
    06-04-17 09:53 AM
    Re. black or dimmed screen when in landscape - Polarised glasses will do that for you on most LCD screens. Not a fault but applied physics The same applies for my swivel computer screens, regardless of goggles brand, RB, Oakley, Polaroid... and the same was true on my Passports. Z30 and Priv do not have the issue
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    06-04-17 10:07 AM
    Lol, probably cause China wants to control what can be seen or searched for on the web and they want to support their own Internet and search provider company.
    Certain T-words eg are very sensitive. In a way is China like Google, it collects everybody's data for personalised feedback.

Biggest mistake my company made was migrating the email system to gmail. Suddenly company mail became unavailable while traveling through China.

Posted via CB10
    06-04-17 10:28 AM
    Re. black or dimmed screen when in landscape - Polarised glasses will do that for you on most LCD screens. Not a fault but applied physics The same applies for my swivel computer screens, regardless of goggles brand, RB, Oakley, Polaroid... and the same was true on my Passports. Z30 and Priv do not have the issue
    Good to know. Thanks
    06-04-17 10:40 AM
    Hi all, finally I have the chance to get this phone after reading so many reviews and comments about it. I'm die hard Blackberry fan and I wanted to share with you guys cause even if a lot of things pleases me a lot, i'm concerned about a few others...

Got the UK version and used it since as a daily driver. In China to power up the phone you gotta use a router with VPN function integrated so that you can reach google and activate it the first time. A little bit of a pain but I guess it's all Android phone nowadays.

For the good points :
    - phone is beautiful, I love the style and on the outside the build quality is really good.
    - screen is very nice, I was worried that coming from the Priv I wouldn't like the 1080P screen, but I love it. The screen is so much easier to read while outside and even with direct sunlight.
    - the phone is less laggy than my Priv. It's not crazy fast. But definitely not laggy.
    - battery life is awesome, i've done 48hours +. It really changes the way I live and work with this phone.
    - fingerprint sensor on the space bar is perfect and efficient.

All over this phone is awesome and will be my daily driver until the Keytwo.

Although, since I got this phone i'm a bit worried about other points, which would not be significative if it was only one, but I noticed a few different ones:
    - took me 2 days and a few reboots to get the sound going trough the bottom speaker. Until then the sound from videos was only coming from the top front speaker normally used for call.
    - Sim card was recognized and then not recognized. Had to reboot the phone.
    - The phone shut down himself once at night while it still had 35% battery available (it's a pain cause If it happens again, it means i'll not be able to trust my phone for waking up alarm in the morning)
    - when you watch the screen with polarized sunglasses. You can see the screen perfectly on portrait mode, but if you turn the phone horizontally, you cannot see the screen again. It's all black. Turn it back on vertically again and you can see it. Not a big deal, but when you are outside taking pictures you have to take off your glasses, it's kinda ridiculous (tried with Ray ban and also a gucci pair of glasses) EDIT: it's normal as it is LCD display
    - the capacitive key to success "return" just on top of the keyboard, has a slight issue and when I press it, 50% of the time it clicks on the screen above it. It will then select whatever is on the screen above this bar...

All those things are not deal breaker individually, but all together, they are a bit of a bummer and worries me on the overall build quality of TCL phones.

In any case, keyboard is great (typing from it right now) and this phone is a beauty and a beast at the same time. Still, I hope TCL can straighten their quality control a bit.
    Nice review, well thought out
    06-05-17 04:36 PM

Hi there, I'm very interested in getting the KeyOne and I currently live in China. My plan is to buy it unlocked from Canada when I return over the summer. I had major issues using VPN services on my Passport last year which is why I decided to sell it, but I'm pretty sure that the problems were because the Passport used the Blackberry 10 OS. I figured that because the KeyOne uses an Android OS there shouldn't be as many issues... Is it possible to install my VPN App (Astrill, Express, etc.) on the unlocked KeyOne while I'm in Canada and have it fully functional when I hook up to the service providers here in China (such as China Telecom, Unicom, etc.)? How reliable are the VPN connections with the KeyOne in China? Thanks for the post!
    06-18-17 10:39 PM
    Hi there, I'm very interested in getting the KeyOne and I currently live in China. My plan is to buy it unlocked from Canada when I return over the summer. I had major issues using VPN services on my Passport last year which is why I decided to sell it, but I'm pretty sure that the problems were because the Passport used the Blackberry 10 OS. I figured that because the KeyOne uses an Android OS there shouldn't be as many issues... Is it possible to install my VPN App (Astrill, Express, etc.) on the unlocked KeyOne while I'm in Canada and have it fully functional when I hook up to the service providers here in China (such as China Telecom, Unicom, etc.)? How reliable are the VPN connections with the KeyOne in China? Thanks for the post!
    There should be an android version for all those VPN services.
    Reliability of the service will depend on the vpn
    06-18-17 10:51 PM