Nova launcher Prime.

That is all.

Transforms the device, suddenly its like greased lightening.

You lose keyboard shortcuts but get something far more useful imo; instant access to the search function which allows you to do everything from launching apps to accessing contacts near instantaneously. Its like it opens up the inner workings of the phone.

You also get the really useful swipe gestures and the ability to change individual icons

I think the BB Launcher in its current form is a dud and if it wasnt for nova launcher i would have sold my keyone
    I have Nova but Microsoft launcher is so much better but I would not change it on KEYone because of the keyobard shortcuts.
    02-18-18 02:47 PM
    CPUs aren't getting much faster these days. Older chips are fine. SD660, the newer chip, is 1% faster lmao. Disabling animations can make it faster, but also set it to have max of 2 apps in the background and force GPU rendering.
    What are you talking about ?! 660 is way, way faster than 625. 100% faster. Look at the benchmarks
    02-18-18 02:48 PM
    I have Nova but Microsoft launcher is so much better but I would not change it on KEYone because of the keyobard shortcuts.
    Never tried it. In what way is it better?
    02-18-18 03:03 PM
    Awesome productivity tab (hello blackberry ? Take a notice) , all gestures functionality (like on BB10) , double row for favorite apps , daily Bing wallpapers built in, and many other options. Microsoft has done tremendous job with this launcher
    02-18-18 03:13 PM
    In my case, just disabling/uninstalling all the unused apps is the thing. Especially Gmail and Chrome, which I hate. It's not the fastest phone, but we have known that already before we purchased K1.
    I totally agree with you. Remove / disable apps you do not use. I do not have social apps on my phone. I use browser to access facebook, Twitter, I also disabled google maps as I use waze and so on. No annoying popus with Facebook messages, no Facebook spying on what I do, better battery, less stuff in the hub. Etc etc etc. If I had top of the line phone I would still do the same thing to protect my privacy and improve overall phone performance.
    02-18-18 04:48 PM
    It is amazing, though that BB10 on five year-old hardware is just as snappy and responsive as Android on modern hardware for the Essential tasks that it performs.

It demonstrates just how much computational overhead is involved in running an Android phone. So many processes that don't add value in terms of functionality!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    02-18-18 05:07 PM
    What are you talking about ?! 660 is way, way faster than 625. 100% faster. Look at the benchmarks
    Oops lmao I think I was thinking about the 626.

But uh still Moore's law is dying fast and I think in the near future we will have no need for new CPUs, maybe won't be able to make them faster if we wanted to.
    03-02-18 12:04 AM
    But how many resources does Android OS need to run basic things like whatsapp and phonecalls? I am not asking it to run latest games or photoshop??
    Thats not normal. It is obviously a defective hungry OS. Even latest Samsung phones lag. Unacceptable.
    Of all the mobile operating systems Android is (and always has been) the most inefficient. There's a reason Android phones have 6 or even 8 GB of RAM while iPhone X has 3.
    03-12-18 08:27 AM
    In my case, just disabling/uninstalling all the unused apps is the thing. Especially Gmail and Chrome, which I hate. It's not the fastest phone, but we have known that already before we purchased K1.
    As much as I thought about removing Chrome, it is by far (for me at least) much faster than Firefox. Don't know why exactly, but there's a lot of sites that come up really fast with Chrome while my Firefox app is still rendering. I like FF as my main browser on my PCs, but the smoothness of Chrome on the K1 makes me use it more even on my desktops.
    03-17-18 07:06 PM
    This totally works....change all animationsn to x0.5 is good enough.
    You'd have to keep developer mode enabled to retain this, which then sets off DTEK to lower your security rating. No biggie I guess, but a little annoying.
    03-17-18 07:09 PM
    As much as I thought about removing Chrome, it is by far (for me at least) much faster than Firefox. Don't know why exactly, but there's a lot of sites that come up really fast with Chrome while my Firefox app is still rendering. I like FF as my main browser on my PCs, but the smoothness of Chrome on the K1 makes me use it more even on my desktops.
    The battery drain of Chrome is atrocious
    03-18-18 05:08 AM
    It is amazing, though that BB10 on five year-old hardware is just as snappy and responsive as Android on modern hardware for the Essential tasks that it performs.

It demonstrates just how much computational overhead is involved in running an Android phone. So many processes that don't add value in terms of functionality!

Posted with my trusty Z10
    I just got a KeyOne and set it up just in the same way with the same functions and apps I used with my Passport and it feels in every way faster and more responsive than the Passport.
    03-18-18 01:43 PM
    What do you use in place of chrome and Gmail?
    05-28-18 02:03 AM
    What do you use in place of chrome and Gmail?
    Hub and Firefox (on all my computers). However, using Gmail instead of Hub etc. should do the same. Just try to avoid having two apps with the same purpose to keep the app amount as small as possible (as some certain of them might be the ones who would slow down your phone).

No Facebook or Messenger in my phone too (using Firefox and Msg Lite), I don't use the Google app neither (browser can stand the same IMHO).

I admit, this doesn't sound very erudite, that's just how I keep my phone doing OK.
    05-28-18 02:18 AM
    I guess I'm lucky to not having experience any slowness on my silver k1, sometimes play music needs 1 second longer to start but so far I'm enjoying my Blackdroid big time, one one thing I did was to disable the hub, I found it unnecessary because of the keyboard shortcuts (no offence intended) since then it has sped up even more.
    05-30-18 02:09 PM
    It is all about resources and memory. If you run too many apps in the background then your phone will need to deal with it and it will get slower

So for me

1. I do not use Productivity Tab because it does affect my phone performance and I get keyboard shortcuts anyways

2. I turn off background services through options / apps on any app that I do not feel it needs to run in the background

3. I chose not to install some apps like AirDroid because as cool as they are (AirDroid let's you receive messages on your desktop ) they do affect phone performance. So be mindful of what is on your phone and what you are about to install.

4. Upgrade to OREO as soon as it is available. This should help as well you as OREO gives us even more control over background services

5. Try different launchers (I recommend Nova and Microsoft launcher is cool too but you will lose shortcuts)

6. Be mindful of widget on your phone desktop. Some like apps will affect your phone battery and performance

7. Use lite versions of Facebook and Facebook messenger if you can
    Last edited by bitek; 06-24-18 at 10:40 AM.
    bbone99 likes this.
    06-24-18 10:17 AM
41 12