Same here. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to happen. They just dumped HTC so they are only carrying samsung and LG and some sub $200 budget line for android. I think they are pretty scarred from the priv not selling well and are trying to focus on just the top few manufacturers.
    Hate to say it but you may be right. For my carrier T Mobile it is Samsung, LG and iPhone. Nothing else gets pushed. Of the three I mentioned it is Samsung and iPhone first then LG. I am overdue for an upgrade and would prefer the KEYone. If not I think a S8 will be fine. I will load it with all the Blackberry apps.
    05-17-17 06:06 PM
    Hate to say it but you may be right. For my carrier T Mobile it is Samsung, LG and iPhone. Nothing else gets pushed. Of the three I mentioned it is Samsung and iPhone first then LG. I am overdue for an upgrade and would refer the KEYone. If not I think a S8 will be fine. I will load it with all the Blackberry apps.
    I jumped on iPhone after being with blackberry/android since the G1. I got burned by the Note7 being taken from me and honestly iOS feels more like blackberry than android ever did, it's just expensive and if you don't have the latest and greatest they start to lag after about a year (or so I'm told, have only had one for a few months) I still would rather have a physical keyboard and more robust options for emails, etc. the stock email app doesn't play nice with my work email so I have to go 3rd party and a lot of the settings are super ambiguous so I get weird crossover with my daughter's iPod/iPad and no discernible way to have things work correctly.

That being said I use a Mac Pro at work and airdrop is awesome, plus all the google apps work fantastic so I use chrome Remote Desktop/sheets/photos and they all work super good on iPhone. Best camera I've ever had besides note7 too!
    05-17-17 06:13 PM
    The by BlackBerry Android PHONES are EOL (PRIV & DTEKS), not even sure they will get Nougat.
    I'm puzzled on how that is going to help them with Enterprise security over an extended period of time. The DTek line isn't even 12 months old and if the software has been dumped ..... it is puzzling how that falls into the category of higher than average secured phones.

As for the Android OS... pretty sure that is a Google property and BlackBerry has not rights to license it... they might license as process of securing it that could be used by TCL. Which is what I expect they are doing..... Suite of Apps along with a process and the name are the licensed items. But the actual Android software... I expect that is on TCL to handle licensing that from Google, providing their own hardware drivers and pushing those out.
    I said BlackBerry Android on purpose. All along BlackBerry has said that they made modifications to the kernel to help secure these phones. That isn't a "process wrapped around " the OS that is modifications of the OS.

"... A hardened Linux kernel includes numerous patches and configuration changes to improve security. ... "
    https://us.blackberry.com/software/s...ure-smartphone

That is an Android mod. The core Linux kernel is GPL but Google themselves tiptoe around this by the Play Services layer that the put on top are licensed. All BlackBerry Inc has to do is hook those mods into other parts of their software and work to do the security patches into a license. Sprinkling unsecured extreme low level kernel drivers on top of what had previously secured isn't particularly secure. The security mods have to be balanced against performance impacts. ( not all that uncommon have a security glitch because someone implement some "too clever' code to boost performance. )

Similarly, BlackBerry commented when the KeyOne was "introduced"

"... while we provide security and the BlackBerry experience. ..."
    Distinctly Different, Distinctly BlackBerry: Our Partner TCL Launches BlackBerry KEYone, an All-New Secure Android Smartphone | Inside BlackBerry

And also...
    " ... "The software development is still done by BlackBerry in North America," he said, adding the security software on the phone is still signed by BlackBerry and not a foreign company. ..."
    TCL targets Apple, Samsung with new BlackBerry handset | Network World

Again at a software developer level, I don't get how you can provide security that would not involve very direct control over the code.

If BlackBerry Inc really wasn't adding anything significant then sure TCL can easily take over basically nothing. If there was real added value though then part of licensing the name could easily include outsourcing the OS securing work back to BlackBerry. That would also result in more homogenous patching process across licensees too.

I don't see how the small players keep up to date with security if don't pool the overhead for doing the work across a common software group. This is exactly why the lower cost and/or lower volume phones quickly fall behind on security updates but there is no cash flow to cover the work.

A separate Software OS subcontractor is also indicative of why the KeyOne software was so flaky up until very late in the process. Cross organization coordination just takes more time when ramping up.

Back in January, TCL clearly stated that BlackBerry brand would be used for Enterprise customers, and that Alcatel was the brand they would market to consumers. Doesn't mean they won't sell to consumers, just that they probably understand most consumers aren't going to pay the premium these phones cost.
    From several quotes and articles I've seen the BlackBerry Mobile folks use "Enterprise" in the context of phones that will be sold into systems that are managed by Corporate MDM (and/or EMM) solutions where the Blackberry MDM/EMM software stack is a player and a "known" quantity.

I think there is a class of businesses that are much smaller but will look more like consumer sales. I think missing that is where they'll have problems. I doubt those juicy big targets amount to a sustainable market. Not with the competition volume have with iPhone and Samsung/Knox.

As for devices, we only know there will be three new DEVICES, those may not all be phones.
    A non phone would be simply suicidal. An Android tablet. One, I'd be shocked if even half of BB's apps scale well on a tablet screen.

BB Mobile needs to learn to walk before they can run. Just incrementally updating the Dtek 50 and Dtek 60 ( and BB dropping them from their online store) would be 'progress' . Do that right and things are all profitable and then move on the fringes.
    Going out in to the weeds too early is one of the ways BlackBerry shot themselves in the foot. Update the phones and get them out on time. Do that first.

But no, we don't know if Enterprise will be a factor or not.... been a number of bridges left burn in BlackBerry's wake. And way too little information coming from BlackBerry Mobile for Enterprise to even be considering them as a real option yet.
    I don't think BlackBerry Mobile has been trying to talk to everybody in Enterprise because they really didn't have anything to sell. I'm sure they have talked to a limited number of folks and will probably try to build some references and happy customer stories through them. ( Selling into the rabid BB inc MDM/EMM customer base is going to be easier than the mainstream. )
    05-17-17 10:36 PM
    They haven't been moving electronics well for 30 years+. They need the Keyone to be a success. I know they have a very specific target demographic but don't turn off the users outside of that group.
    05-18-17 07:14 AM
    I just did an online chat with ATT&T and VZW. Both of the chat peoples names were Jessica and they both pretty much said the same thing. We are excited about upcoming products but sign up blah, blah, blah. Nothing KEYone related.

So who is the one company running online chats for these 2 competitors?
    05-18-17 07:24 AM
    Well, if AT&T doesn't pick up the KEYone in the US, they'll lose me as a customer, and I'll save money on a cheaper network. If I buy unlocked, no way I stay with them.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    05-18-17 08:42 AM
    I've chatted with Jessica also. She's a Pokemon character like Nurse Jenny. She's Cellular Service Jessica.
    05-18-17 10:40 AM
    Well, if AT&T doesn't pick up the KEYone in the US, they'll lose me as a customer, and I'll save money on a cheaper network. If I buy unlocked, no way I stay with them.

What carrier would you switch to? I love Verizon for the coverage in rural areas so I'm buying unlocked and staying with them. Just curious where you would be going and why you wouldn't stay with at&t?
    05-18-17 10:44 AM
    Boy, I am seeing a lot of frustrated Canadians with the pre sales. I cannot imagine what will happen in the US.
    05-18-17 10:50 AM
    In agreement on the first part Professor Obvious but what does, "tactical, not strategic", even mean? We know you can sell a freakin' pet rock with a strategy.
    05-18-17 10:52 AM

Good luck with that... I thought same when buying PRIV and DTEK unlocked. Been with AT&T since 1990 when it was McCaw's old C1. I came very close to switching last year with T-Mobile. Coverage not quite as good yet and once you go beyond 2 lines, savings dries up pretty fast. Can't share from data bucket as of last I heard. Checked out Prepaid AT&T and Prepaid T-Mobile, no better with cost (little worse actually) and even looked at Cricket (AT&T owned MVNO), MetroPCS (T-Mobile owned MVNO) and other MVNO's on their networks. Since I have multiple lines for other devices, there was no savings. In my case, with 10 lines total, Prepaid AT&T is more expensive than Postpaid and Cricket is more expensive than both. All owned by AT&T. I do agree in buying factory unlocked for quicker updated though. Factory unlocked BlackBerry and other mid-level phones seem to do best on AT&T or T-Mobile. Verizon doesn't seem any cheaper, just better CDMA remote location coverage. Sprint CDMA is cheaper but coverage map lacks according to many.

Regardless, again, good luck.
    05-18-17 11:09 AM
    I have two lines and a tablet with AT&T. Anyone I switch to will be cheaper. And, with an unlocked phone, I'm happy to jump from promotion to promotion. Coverage isn't an issue for me on any of the carriers. I'm on WiFi 90% of the time and will be using a soft phone for most voice calls on Android.

05-18-17 11:21 AM
    every area is different of course, but in my area I switched from VZW to Tmo, 5 lines, I save over a $100 a month, and so far, I actually have better service.
    05-18-17 01:51 PM
    I have two lines and a tablet with AT&T. Anyone I switch to will be cheaper. And, with an unlocked phone, I'm happy to jump from promotion to promotion. Coverage isn't an issue for me on any of the carriers. I'm on WiFi 90% of the time and will be using a soft phone for most voice calls on Android.

Sounds good. I wish I could get the lines down but each kid wants a phone and they earn help pay for it with part time job money. LOL. One day they will grow up and be on their own plans.....
    05-19-17 12:14 PM
    Sounds good. I wish I could get the lines down but each kid wants a phone and they earn help pay for it with part time job money. LOL. One day they will grow up and be on their own plans.....
    My kid will get a mobile phone when she goes to college, not before!

:-D

05-19-17 12:35 PM
    My kid will get a mobile phone when she goes to college, not before!

:-D

But this is cheaper than a GPS chip in their forearm and they're paying for it. LOL..
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    05-19-17 02:32 PM
66 123