Really the question for PKB users becomes whether BlackBerry will in any form continue to make or support Phones at all even telegraphed through subcontractors...
    I believe after all the awards they received last year at MWC 2017 they won't stop pushing the dope lol
    04-15-18 03:34 AM
    Well, it seems more ppl to be interested on future proof of your K1 or your smartphone. But for most of case, we will rarely keep a phone more than 3 yrs, despite that its still on good condition.
    We can keep using our 97xx until now, but I guess hardly for us to keep our K1 until 2022 or more, due to the quality built doesn't good as BB did.
    04-15-18 03:54 AM
    agree with BigBadWulf, far from future proof without 5G. With 5G test bed in multiple US cities, with web focus application catch up, with brain chip sitting next in the wing, K1 is good (or even superior overall, consider battery, performance/cost) for now, but not good enough for "tomorrow". As for industry design, Sony is eye candy this year, but I am still looking for something a bit more geeky for "tomorrow".
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    04-15-18 04:37 PM
    I think I saw the answer to this question on one of my old Betamax tapes. 😂
    FF22 and BigBadWulf like this.
    04-15-18 05:40 PM
    In the end it's really a pretty simple answer. A cell phone lasts generally for 2-5 years. Some get broken, some just become unwanted. If you want your phone to last 10 years (and with continuous support) what does the manufacturer do? Stop making phones but still supply support for phones they made 10 years ago?

Stop worrying about how long your KEYone will last and just use it to it's capabilities. Support will stop in 2 years from now assuredly.
    04-15-18 07:14 PM
    I think it's a consumer thing. You buy it and won't probably keep it longer than 4 years. In that case it should be pretty sufficient phone (even the old Z1 Compact in our family is still very fast and snappy, you just have to keep the phone clean and make a fresh installation after every two-three system updates). It's just in the middle with the speed. Hardware seems fine and should last a few drops. It's a good phone. No worries here!!

I used to probe phones from every side and each aspect. It's a complete waste of time, believe me.
    04-16-18 06:11 AM
    I think it's a consumer thing
    We're being forced into consumerism whether we like it or not: offering 3 years support and that's it. I'm pretty sure our current hardware could handle those security updates for more than 3 years this is ridiculous and not green at all!
    04-16-18 08:30 AM
    We're being forced into consumerism whether we like it or not: offering 3 years support and that's it. I'm pretty sure our current hardware could handle those security updates for more than 3 years this is ridiculous and not green at all!
    I see it now. You don't want to be adviced. You just wanna talk. That leads not to any result. You can swear about consumerism but that's all you can do with that. Unless you don't want to go your own way and still keep with the mainstream (you can keep your K1 even for 4 years, it should still be fully capable of doing anything apart gaming), you can stick with B/W Nokia phone forever (wait, they are going to switch off 2G networks!). Hey, why am I typing this? You'll still rush your own way on and on. Sorry to myself.
    04-16-18 09:17 AM
    Unless you don't want to go your own way and still keep with the mainstream (you can keep your K1 even for 4 years, it should still be fully capable of doing anything apart gaming)
    I don't want to keep with the mainstream and go my own way: I'll keep my KEYone until it rots. There's just a part of me that is concerned about security and at the same time, I don't mind having a device that is not secured for my usage. Perhaps I've been brainwashed into thinking that security is critical.
    04-16-18 09:48 AM
    I don't want to keep with the mainstream and go my own way: I'll keep my KEYone until it rots. There's just a part of me that is concerned about security and at the same time, I don't mind having a device that is not secured for my usage. Perhaps I've been brainwashed into thinking that security is critical.
    Well, then you accepted the rules when you bought the phone. 3 years since the release is still very good. Remember the first Android phones, support quit after year or two (if you were really lucky). Also remember that the updates are very expensive for the manufacturer. Considering the amount of K1 sold (I still think it's not a very big amount), 3 years support included in a $600-700 smartphone is not really bad.

If you think it's not long enough (I think many users are going to replace it in 3 years anyway), then you simply bought a phone that does not fit your ideas. I don't agree with the consumerism here but that's how the system is set. I wouldn't pay extra $200 for another year of support. The probability that I might accidentaly break/lose/got stolen the phone during the 3-year-period is so high that it's not really worth extra money anyway.
    Blemurdefender likes this.
    04-16-18 10:42 AM
    Well, then you accepted the rules when you bought the phone. 3 years since the release is still very good. Remember the first Android phones, support quit after year or two (if you were really lucky). Also remember that the updates are very expensive for the manufacturer. Considering the amount of K1 sold (I still think it's not a very big amount), 3 years support included in a $600-700 smartphone is not really bad.

... then you simply bought a phone that does not fit your ideas
    Lovely reply: thanks for opening my eyes

btw I can't help but think of my upcoming wedding in July when I read "Well, then you accepted the rules when bought the phone" lol
    Last edited by Blemurdefender; 04-16-18 at 11:28 AM.
    04-16-18 10:56 AM

btw I can't help but think of my upcoming wedding in July when I read "Well, then you accepted the rules when bought the phone" lol
    How many updates do you expect "until death do us part"?
    04-16-18 11:42 AM

So what's the thing you are going to achieve here? I still miss it. You seem to like the facts so I myself would like to hear that.
    04-16-18 11:46 AM
    For a wedding, you're normally bound to your partner until death do us part or there's divorce if things go out of control.

I wanted to be bound to my KEYone Black Edition for life (but that's me) but what BlackBerry is saying to me is "I'm down to stay with you for 3 years is this fine with you?". For things to work out we need to have a mutual agreement. I was down for life but BlackBerry is down for 3 years. I've already bought it so I have no choice but to accept how long my device is down to stick with me lol. I guess I'll just stick with the KEYone until the boat starts sinking.

When the boat starts to sink I have 2 choices: be drown or save myself. I guess I'll save myself cuz I cling to life lol

Speaking of wedding things aren't in top shape with my fiancee at this time and we're not even married yet ; ;

Matter of fact I bought the KEYone to keep in touch with her...

Now the words of some dude in a movie are coming back in my head "you shouldn't have started if you weren't ready to face the consequences"

TBH with you guys I feel empty inside: I mean my KEYone won't last forever and I'm wondering if me and my girl will get to wedding

Someone plz help
    Last edited by Blemurdefender; 04-16-18 at 12:46 PM.
    04-16-18 12:11 PM
    For a wedding, you're normally bound to your partner until death do us part or there's divorce if things go out of control.

I wanted to be bound to my KEYone Black Edition for life (but that's me) but what BlackBerry is saying to me is "I'm down to stay with you for 3 years is this fine with you?". For things to work out we need to have a mutual agreement. I was down for life but BlackBerry is down for 3 years. I've already bought it so I have no choice but to accept how long my device is down to stick with me lol. I guess I'll just stick with the KEYone until the boat starts sinking.

When the boat starts to sink I have 2 choices: be drown or save myself. I guess I'll save myself cuz I cling to life lol

Speaking of wedding things aren't in top shape with my fiancee at this time and we're not even married yet ; ;

Matter of fact I bought the KEYone to keep in touch with her...

Now the words of some dude in a movie are coming back in my head "you shouldn't have started if you weren't ready to face the consequences"

TBH with you guys I feel empty inside: I mean my KEYone won't last forever and I'm wondering if me and my girl will get to wedding

Someone plz help
    When you say you and your fiance are not getting along does it have something to do with you asking her to wear the same dress for 10 years?
    04-16-18 01:09 PM
    When you say you and your fiance are not getting along does it have something to do with you asking her to wear the same dress for 10 years?
    LMFAO thanks for making me laugh: it's more like her silence is killing me just because it ain't easy to plan our international wedding (we're from 2 different countries & we're also from 2 different religions). At the beginning it looked like we could deal with the long distance and our differences but they are getting in the way now.
    04-16-18 01:33 PM
    For most apps its future proof unless VR interactions replace keyboard. The more pressing issue 3-4 years from now is replacement parts like battery and keyboard. It will be very difficult to get parts other than from donor phones by then.
    04-16-18 01:39 PM
    How did this become an episode of 90 day fiance?

Love the phone for as long as you can, and accept the day will come when you'll need to find a new love. It won't be as bad a struggle as it seems now. The woman...remember it's for life. Choose that partner wisely. Trading her in for a new model is much more costly than a phone, and can affect many lives.
    04-16-18 11:07 PM
    If it is, tell us why
    If it's not, tell us why

Can't wait to read what you guys will say
    Phones are generally obsolete within months of their release. Its one of the reason I dump them as soon as the next one comes out .
    04-17-18 12:36 AM
    Phones are generally obsolete within months of their release. Its one of the reason I dump them as soon as the next one comes out .
    Lol months? Naww
    04-17-18 01:40 AM
    How did this become an episode of 90 day fiance?

Love the phone for as long as you can, and accept the day will come when you'll need to find a new love. It won't be as bad a struggle as it seems now. The woman...remember it's for life. Choose that partner wisely. Trading her in for a new model is much more costly than a phone, and can affect many lives.
    Thank you
    04-17-18 04:10 AM
    This is well put and spot on.
    True..keeping up with the Jones mindset is what makes a phone obsolete. I am sure there is a psychological trap to the numerical naming of phones. If you have a iPhone 6s you must upgrade because you are two models behind. My Priv and Dtek 60 is running great...i am looking to snatch the key2 sometime in 2018
    Last edited by Bay 13; 04-17-18 at 10:25 AM.
    04-17-18 09:59 AM
    True..keeping up with the Jones mindset is what makes a phone obsolete. I am sure there is a psychological trap to the numerical naming of phones. If you have a iPhone 6s you must upgrade because you are two models behind. My Priv and Dtek 60 is running great...i am looking to snatch the key2 sometime in 2018
    Like it or not, that's how it is. Better?
    04-18-18 10:57 AM
    Like it or not, that's how it is. Better?
    Ha, you must be a victim of the mentality... hang in there young okie
    04-18-18 11:39 AM
    Ha, you must be a victim of the mentality... hang in there young okie
    No. I just don't complain about things I can't change anymore apart not buying a new phone every year. You just add complaining. Who has done more? I doubt anyone of us.

Not to mention that you haven't provided any logical purpose or solution how the whole industry should've changed.
    04-18-18 11:58 AM
55 123