If it is, tell us why
    If it's not, tell us why

Can't wait to read what you guys will say
    Felipe Arriaza likes this.
    04-13-18 01:46 PM
    No. No phone currently on the market is future-proof.
    04-13-18 02:27 PM
    I think it is future-proof in many aspects but not every aspects:

Here's what I think is future-proof

Phone:
    -I think for talking on the phone itself, since it supports LTE+, you'll be able to speak for many years considering 2g/3g phones are still working lol

Messaging Protocols:
    -For SMS/MMS/E-mails even if the protocols would change one day, a simple software update would do the trick

Hardware:
    -As for using a PKB to write, there's swipe and vocal input but a physical keyboard will always be classic
    -If you're focused on communication more than anything, you should be fine with 3/4 GB of ram and our current SD 625 cpu
    -USB-C connectors are still pretty new so it should be fine for a solid 5 years+
    -A gorilla glass 4 screen should do the job for many years: gorilla glass 3 displays are not bad at all even in 2018

Apps:
    -Some modern apps require Android 6.0+ to work but most of them require Jelly Bean and up and considering we'll get the Oreo Update (Android 8.0), the Operating System itself should be good for 5 years +
    ================================================== ======
    Maybe not future-proof someone help me plz on this one:
    Security: for just how long will we get the monthly security updates anybody knows?
    Not future proof:
    Being able to see an hologram of the person you're talking to: it's just a matter of time before it comes. At least, we can still video chat but it's not the same lol
    04-13-18 02:35 PM
    [QUOTE=Blemurdefender;13169855
    Maybe not future-proof someone help me plz on this one:
    Security: for just how long will we get the monthly security updates anybody knows?
    [/QUOTE]

Blackberry Mobile has publicly stated that they will support security updates for 3 years.
    Felipe Arriaza likes this.
    04-13-18 09:59 PM
    Blackberry Mobile has publicly stated that they will support security updates for 3 years.
    Thanks yamahammer for the info!

Hmmmm so since the BlackBerry KEYone was released last year we can expect to stop receiving security updates in 2020: an Android without security patches is not secure... this is troublesome I wanted to keep my device for at least a decade lol
    04-13-18 10:53 PM
    Not at all. It was using a year old processor when released and is already lagging. It's nice but not enough for more demanding users.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    04-13-18 11:08 PM
    Depends how far in the future you're talking. The locked-down-ness of the operating system precludes third party developers keeping the OS vibrant past its expiration date (which is either two or three years after first launch), and eventually batteries rot no matter how well they're stored, and I doubt 5G will displace LTE and earlier technologies quick enough to matter. That said, you should get a good few years out of it without needing to worry about anything, and if you're lucky then the KEYthree/four would be out by then anyway.
    Rico4you likes this.
    04-13-18 11:14 PM
    The thing is I've been getting at least one or two new phones per year as a single dude but I'm getting married pretty soon and plan on having two children as well. it will not be easy for me to buy a brand new KEYthree/four when they come out I can already foresee it.

If only BlackBerry offered financing like Samsung then I'd be saved
    skinnymike1 and Bob Brown7 like this.
    04-14-18 04:20 AM
    The thing is I've been getting at least one or two new phones per year as a single dude but I'm getting married pretty soon and plan on having two children as well. it will not be easy for me to buy a brand new KEYthree/four when they come out I can already foresee it.

If only BlackBerry offered financing like Samsung then I'd be saved
    Which is why the carriers are so crucial to success of the OEMS in North America, especially in the USA. They provide the phones on monthly plans.
    04-14-18 05:12 AM
    I want five years out of this bad boy

i then wanna be able to pick up the Key-three for pennies
    04-14-18 07:07 AM
    It is future proof as long as you don't read and follow any news on latest phone and gadget, and assume you don't purposely drop it into the bath tub as well

Seriously, I think a phone is as future proof as the owner wanted it to be.
    04-14-18 07:27 AM
    If I could accurately foresee the future, would I need to worry whether my phone was future-proof?
    IndianTiwari likes this.
    04-14-18 09:02 AM
    The pace of technology, relative to smartphones, is slowing down.

I used to feel the draw to update my laptop , because the newer models were so much better. Now? Not so much. I’ve had my MacBook for 3yrs and feel no need to update it.

Ditto with my tablet. Newer and better models were released regularly early days. Now? My tablet is 2yrs old and it’s still a very good device compared to the new releases.

Phones, in my opinion, have reached this point. New technologies are introduced, but they are hardly enough to demand an upgrade as rapidly as years ago. Look how all slab phones almost all look alike these days. The pace of innovation has plateaued.

So... no question the keyone has a solid 2yrs of being not too far behind anything introduced.
    04-14-18 10:17 AM

I used to feel the draw to update my laptop , because the newer models were so much better. Now? Not so much. I’ve had my MacBook for 3yrs and feel no need to update it.

Ditto with my tablet. Newer and better models were released regularly early days. Now? My tablet is 2yrs old and it’s still a very good device compared to the new releases.

Phones, in my opinion, have reached this point. New technologies are introduced, but they are hardly enough to demand an upgrade as rapidly as years ago. Look how all slab phones almost all look alike these days. The pace of innovation has plateaued.

So... no question the keyone has a solid 2yrs of being not too far behind anything introduced.
    This is well put and spot on.
    Frank Costanza likes this.
    04-14-18 11:00 AM
    Look how all slab phones almost all look alike these days.
    I somewhat agree with most of what you said, but if we base our upgrade decisions on outward appearance, there would never be a need to get a new PC, tablet or phone.

Relative to the KEYᵒⁿᵉ, since it's not 5G capable, the same looking model coming out in the near future, might be a huge leap forward for some. That is not what would drive me to upgrade, but a CPU with 835 speed and 625 efficiency, coupled with more RAM and internal memory would be, even if it was in the same package.
    04-14-18 11:44 AM

The pace of innovation has plateaued.
    Boooooooooyaaaaaaa
    Bammmmmmm
    Bullseye
    Direct hit
    Well said!
    the_boon and Frank Costanza like this.
    04-14-18 11:47 AM
    Agree with those that have said innovation has peaked. I had my wife's S6 and S7 side by side today and you can't tell them apart. We're getting very incremental updates from many manufacturers.

The key for me is the battery life. Charging every 2.5 days as opposed to every day for many smartphones should mean it could last twice as long (4yrs hopefully).
    04-14-18 02:01 PM
    Ha, too funny. No phone is future-proof. It's not a fast phone to begin with, and apps get more bloated all the time as phones get faster.
    04-14-18 04:06 PM
    Black Edition should be a bit less frustrating in 2-3 years as apps become even more demanding, memory and storage wise.
    04-14-18 04:41 PM
    I also have an iPhone SE with iOS 11.3 and there's nothing exclusive with Apple smartphones that we cannot do with our KEYone except animojis (something we can live without).

Another proof that the evolution of smartphones has plateaued

But it is a fact that technology advances at a fast pace after a world war
    04-14-18 04:46 PM
    I also have an iPhone SE with iOS 11.3 and there's nothing exclusive with Apple smartphones that we cannot do with our KEYone except animojis (something we can live without).

Another proof that the evolution of smartphones has plateaued

But it is a fact that technology advances at a fast pace after a world war
    Oh, great, something to look forward to!
    falbo likes this.
    04-14-18 05:24 PM
    Lol it's unfortunate that history has proven that this is what it takes for revolutionary inventions to come out: I'd rather stick with our current technology

It's another fact that we've already reached a level where it is way easier than before to get in touch with anyone around the world and in spite of that people feel more lonely than ever and lack meaningful relationships

Let's take the evolution of technology to an extreme for a second: think about it even if we could teleport ourselves it wouldn't make our friends and relatives able to receive us at any time lol. In most cases an appointment would be required and by the time they are ready to receive you, you would have had the time to get there by other means than teleportation
    04-14-18 09:53 PM
    2017 saw a plateau in worldwide cellphone sales for the first time in history.. No year over year increases. The industry is rapidly maturing and people are keeping their phones longer, plain and simple. After a while there's only so much tech you can put into a cellphone so people just don't feel the need to upgrade. I've never used LTE and dont feel like I've missed out on anything.

Sent from my VIVO 5 using Tapatalk
    04-15-18 01:37 AM
    The apps I personally use on my KEYone have plateaued as well in terms of evolution:
    -Good old calculator which haven't seen new mathematical functions in a long time
    -the calendar which is able to create complex events with custom durations
    -opera mini for minimal web browsing due to my limited data plan
    -the clock which is still able to show me the time in other countries, act as a timer/stop watch and wake me up in the morning
    -contacts which is able to remember more than what I could remember without it: hey I mean who memorize phone numbers nowadays lol
    -final Fantasy 4:after years which is a totally optional game
    -Files to manage my files which is doing a perfect job
    -Gmail for emailing which is a protocol that didn't change in years!
    -message for sms/mms: another protocol which didn't change much over the years and whenever I receive an sms I'm actually surprised cuz most of my contacts have moved to WhatsApp
    -my sword for android: which is my bible application which is able to do more than what I need
    -Netflix app with basic subscription : my eye is satisfied without ultra HD
    -Notes which totally destroys a real notepad
    -Phone which uses LTE+ network: even if we get a faster network than LTE+ in the future for data transfer LTE+ is currently fast enough to murder my data plan in minutes...our current generation doesn't speak as much on the phone we prefer texting...
    -Photos which does a great job displaying and backuping your pics with more filters than what I need...
    -Neutron: which perfectly plays mp3s and could play flac but I'm not an audiophile...
    -TED TALK: which supports downloading the talks don't think we need more here
    -Waze which is already murdering a real life GPS
    -WhatsApp which supports video calls that I don't use
    -Wikipedia which is able to save the articles for offline usage that's enough for me
    -at last but not least YouTube which evolved with higher definition videos but our data plans don't allow us the luxury of watching 4K videos all the time (matter of fact I won't got over 720 or 1080p most of the times)

My usage of apps pretty much plateaued as well and I don't feel like I'm missing anything: I'm already spoiled with my apps
    04-15-18 02:58 AM
    Oh, great, something to look forward to!
    Really the question for PKB users becomes whether BlackBerry will in any form continue to make or support Phones at all even telegraphed through subcontractors...
    FF22 likes this.
    04-15-18 03:09 AM
55 123