06-10-17 09:46 AM
41 12
tools
    Pretty much every review has stated this problem. I don't think we need to go around telling people they're doing it wrong at this point. It was a bad design choice that could have been improved with a software tweak that has not happened.
    Agree 100%. Poor design. Just make them a super short delayed long press like I did and problem solved. A tap of it won't activate it now. Maybe an update down the road will address it, until then this works great.
    06-08-17 09:58 AM
    I think over time you'll end up adapting your typing to the device unless you're really that dead set on how you type both physically and mentally lol
    Agreed! I've been having the same issue but also realizing my top finger height was typing too high. So consciously now when I type I try to lower that area under the home buttons about 3mm and that does the trick!
    06-08-17 10:13 AM
    I must be really lucky...haven't accidentally hit them even once. Was actually wondering what the initial reviewers were even talking about.
    Heck I get em occasionally on my priv. It's not that big a deal
    06-08-17 10:30 AM
    As I mentioned before, the advantage of physical over virtual is being able to type "sloppily" but still accurate, it doesn't matter if you finger is between two keys or half off the edge of one etc as long as you apply the pressure to the appropriate key. Having these touch keys above the to row forces me into a situation where I have to be very accurate in key presses on that top row otherwise I am back to the pitfalls of a touch keyboard.

If I press any of the top row keys with my finger slightly over the top of the key, it will very frequently activate the touch button above. Not much else to say at this point, I will keep watching for software solution, failing that I will try a thin piece of black electrical tape. It is still better than full touch, but it is just frustrating because there are any number of ways this could have been avoided and people were calling this issue out before the phone even shipped.
    JeBe4 likes this.
    06-08-17 02:10 PM
    As I mentioned before, the advantage of physical over virtual is being able to type "sloppily" but still accurate, it doesn't matter if you finger is between two keys or half off the edge of one etc as long as you apply the pressure to the appropriate key. Having these touch keys above the to row forces me into a situation where I have to be very accurate in key presses on that top row otherwise I am back to the pitfalls of a touch keyboard.

If I press any of the top row keys with my finger slightly over the top of the key, it will very frequently activate the touch button above. Not much else to say at this point, I will keep watching for software solution, failing that I will try a thin piece of black electrical tape. It is still better than full touch, but it is just frustrating because there are any number of ways this could have been avoided and people were calling this issue out before the phone even shipped.
    I sooooo feel your pain it defeats the purpose of the hardware kb. I don't know how this made it to the public!
    06-08-17 02:24 PM
    Unfortunately the keyone only recognizes scrolling in portrait mode with the top two rows of keys, forcing one to scroll higher up on the keyboard. Which means you hit the capacitive keys more often.
    BS. I scroll via the physical keyboard in portrait and landscape orientations. The entire keyboard is active when reading web pages and the CrackBerry forums.
    06-08-17 07:24 PM
    BS. I scroll via the physical keyboard in portrait and landscape orientations. The entire keyboard is active when reading web pages and the CrackBerry forums.
    You may scroll across the entire keyboard when you're scrolling, but rest assured in portrait mode only the top two rows are scrolling. Try and scroll with just the space bar/v/b/ keys. Without touching the top two rows. You can't. In landscape mode the top 3 rows scroll, but not the spacebar row.
    06-08-17 07:29 PM

You may scroll across the entire keyboard when you're scrolling, but rest assured in portrait mode only the top two rows are scrolling. Try and scroll with just the space bar/v/b/ keys. Without touching the top two rows. You can't. In landscape mode the top 3 rows scroll, but not the spacebar row.
    06-08-17 07:30 PM
    It might vary from device to device, but mine also seems to be pretty responsive.
    06-08-17 07:42 PM
    I had trouble with the softkeys at first. You'll get used to them and it will definitely happen less frequently.
    06-08-17 07:48 PM
    While this particular "behavior" does not bother me, I have confirmed on the two KeyOne's in my household that the capacitive scrolling is in fact only the top two rows.
    06-08-17 08:21 PM
    I had trouble with the softkeys at first. You'll get used to them and it will definitely happen less frequently.
    I hope this is the case but I am not optimistic. Often I am typing by feel not even looking at the phone which is one of the great features of having a physical keyboard. This is the situation that for sure triggers it.

Also, the fact that the phone is heavy creates the tendency for the phone to be sliding down in your hand so you naturally end up drifting up on the keyboard.

It is not a show stopper, and this issue should not sway a customer away who wants a physical keyboard... but I am voicing my concern hoping for some software tweak if possible, and some additional consideration to this on future phones.
    06-08-17 08:25 PM
    The touch navigation keys + only 3gb of RAM+ size are the 3 main reasons for me to not be interested in the device.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-17 08:28 PM
    Has anyone of the K1 owners tried to disable those buttons? There are many apps/workaround for android devices in generell, which promise to do this.
    For Back, Home and Recent apps you could use apps like "all in one gestures" instead.
    I'm just curious if somebody has already tried it. Would be (in my opinion) a gamechanger!
    06-10-17 07:03 AM
    buy a glass screen protector, it will create a mini ridge that will reduce accidents
    06-10-17 09:42 AM
    I've seen a lot of talk about this topic as well, but haven't had any problems with it personally. That's with a lot of key typing and flicking words up from the keyboard. Actually, I hardly use the Android buttons on this phone at all. As some have suggested, perhaps it would have been better not to include them.
    06-10-17 09:46 AM
41 12