It was a concern many raised prior to launch, and I have experienced it several times. Basically while typing sometimes I hit one of the android softkeys which will close the app I am in, or go back etc. Happens periodically also while trying to scroll.

If the issue continues to happen to me due to the nature of how I type, I am thinking of maybe using some kind of insulating "tape" across the screen over the softkey area, either covering them totally and then just some smaller cutouts in the middle of each softkey so you have to more intentially hit them, or maybe just a strip say 1/2 or 1/4 the width of the bar at the bottom.

Does this sound silly? or there any obvious reason this cannot work?
    JeBe4 likes this.
    06-06-17 09:55 PM
    I think over time you'll end up adapting your typing to the device unless you're really that dead set on how you type both physically and mentally lol
    TheBond and knightfall like this.
    06-06-17 10:03 PM
    I hit those keys the first few days and it was a problem for me. Not any more. Over it. I've adapted.
    jamesharmeling likes this.
    06-06-17 10:03 PM
    It was a concern many raised prior to launch, and I have experienced it several times. Basically while typing sometimes I hit one of the android softkeys which will close the app I am in, or go back etc. Happens periodically also while trying to scroll.

If the issue continues to happen to me due to the nature of how I type, I am thinking of maybe using some kind of insulating "tape" across the screen over the softkey area, either covering them totally and then just some smaller cutouts in the middle of each softkey so you have to more intentially hit them, or maybe just a strip say 1/2 or 1/4 the width of the bar at the bottom.

I've found that swiping on the side of the keyboard vs the middle mitigates this problem for me. And of course being conscious of the issue.
    06-06-17 10:08 PM
    I must be really lucky...haven't accidentally hit them even once. Was actually wondering what the initial reviewers were even talking about.
    06-06-17 10:12 PM
    Same thing happened to me. It is happening less now. When it does I just double click the square softkey and it usually goes right back where I left off.
    NightFire likes this.
    06-06-17 10:23 PM
    They should just fix it in software (since they didn't opt for software buttons like they should have). They'd just need a short delay where the capacitive buttons are ignored right after using the keyboard trackpad swipe up... Really simple...
    06-07-17 10:38 AM
    I've had the device since UK Selfridges release day, and it's still a problem.

It isn't too bad when typing on the keypad, it's more scrolling.

My work around? I don't scroll with the keys. Just use the screen. Or if I'm browsing a website I go landscape as scrolling works loads better with the keyboard on its side anyway.

Kinda annoying, but hopefully they will make them on screen buttons with the KEYtwo.
    06-07-17 11:28 AM
    I have read a few threads about apps called button remapper and all in one gestures. One of them has the ability to set the timing or delay when pressing the capacitive keys. Other features include different actions on short press, double tap, and long press on the capacitive keys. This is by using all in one gestures app iinm..

I also read somewhere that a user set the spacebar to act like the home key by using the button remapper (I think)..

Posted via CB10
    06-07-17 11:38 AM

Unfortunately the keyone only recognizes scrolling in portrait mode with the top two rows of keys, forcing one to scroll higher up on the keyboard. Which means you hit the capacitive keys more often.
    In lieu of tape, you could download an app called All In One Gestures, which lets you set a longer press for the capacitive keys to register, so you don't accidentally tap them during typing.
    06-07-17 11:40 AM
    We wither evolve with the device, or go somewhere else. Simple.
    06-07-17 11:57 AM
    I think over time you'll end up adapting your typing to the device unless you're really that dead set on how you type both physically and mentally lol
    I think like a half-second delay in those capacitive navigation keys when the scrolling is in effect would solve a lot of these problems..

I thought I adapted too, but I still hit them from time to time.
    06-07-17 11:59 AM
    I still don't understand why they didn't make them into hardware buttons like they were on the first leaked renders.
    06-07-17 12:33 PM
    I learned to scroll in between the back and home button or home and recent apps. What drives me nuts is hitting the suggested word (usually the letter I) when hitting the home button in text messages
    06-07-17 01:14 PM
    I'll be honest. It must be a "size" thing. My hands are rather small and I haven't accidentally tapped the navigation keys once.
    06-07-17 01:59 PM
    I used one of the button remappers from the playstore like someone suggested. I set them to long press with a 100ms delay instead of the 500ms default. So much better.
    06-07-17 09:18 PM
    I was hitting those buttons like crazy the first few days. since Monday I have hardly done so until (ironically) just now. Despite it happening again it does seem to occur less frequently as I adapt to the new keyboard. I'm still extremely pleased by the way!
    06-07-17 09:33 PM
    Im not sure what the issue is here. Not trying to be mean but I have literally been all over this phone (as the finger prints will tell you) and I have pressed the button by accident a total of ONCE in over 20 hrs of use.

Not to steal from apple (because stealing is their job) but maybe 'youre holding it wrong'

when im typing im aiming my fingers a bit down, so when im pressing the T / Y area I usally have my finger going towards the G / H direction and not up to the home key.
    06-07-17 10:32 PM
    idk it's definitely gonna vary because of the variations in finger sizes. Should have went with no buttons at all and used the fingerprint as the nav
    06-07-17 10:42 PM
    It is a less than ideal design that is the issue. The value to me of the physical keyboard is that I don't have to be so perfect when I am searching for keys, I get my finger somewhere onto the key and when I know I am on the desired key I press down, this all happens in a faction of a second as a reflex, but I get that chance to fine tune the position of my finger before I push down. Depending how frantic I am typing or other factors about the current physical situation I am in will determine how accurate my initial movements are in getting to the key. As an example If I am rushing to type this is where I may overshoot a key on the top row by a couple millimeters and close the app, and this is a case where it is most frustrating.

If slightly touching the keyboard area in "the wrong way" triggers an undesired action i.e. closing the app, I might as well just have an all touch device. They should have been hardware keys.

Having said that I will see if as I use it my finger reflexes adapt and the issue reduces. If not I will try the mentioned app which will create a short delay/deboune on those capacitive keys to reduce the accidental activations. Failing that, I will re-explore my idea of some kind of physical insulating material or just live with it and hope for a future iteration with hardware android keys or some other change to address this.
    JeBe4 likes this.
    06-07-17 10:50 PM

I actually somehow have never done this. I was convinced that in the first week of using the device I would do this until I get used to it, but so far, never done it. I did, however, end up disabling the whole swipe up word prediction stuff because it wasn't that reliable for me. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. And that second-guessing made the typing experience slower than had I simply typed out the entire word. So I just disabled it so nothing pops up on the screen...
    06-07-17 10:52 PM

I haven't found this issue.
    06-07-17 11:03 PM
    You get used to it. I don't ever hit them.
    I know a lot of guys are coming from Classic and are thinking with their BB10 hat on.

You will get the idea of how it works. Actually I have a different issue, I can't hit the home button when I want to instead of accidental hit.
    06-08-17 12:17 AM

Did you come from BB10?

I came from PP - PRIV - OP3 - K1, and I honestly have not hit the soft keys accidentally yet.

Point being, you'll adjust soon without any aids. If you paste any sticky tape over the keys, you're not allowing yourself to adjust.
    06-08-17 02:22 AM
    Pretty much every review has stated this problem. I don't think we need to go around telling people they're doing it wrong at this point. It was a bad design choice that could have been improved with a software tweak that has not happened.
    JeBe4 likes this.
    06-08-17 03:00 AM
41 12