But dude.. It's a banking app, I'm pretty sure requiring a new login after minimizing is an intended security feature. Annoying? Yes, but it prevents you from forgetting to close the app and someone else accessing your account.
    A reasonable theory, but I doubt that's it. Banking apps (good ones) will time out your session after a few minutes of inactivity. It's reasonable to expect to be able to switch away to respond to a message or other notification and go back to your banking app. Myself, I often have to switch back and forth between my banking app and email when paying bills in order to get the amount and due date. If I got logged out every time I switched away, I'd be livid! It's a small sample size of four apps, but I've not experienced this problem with any of my banking apps.
    10-17-18 08:45 PM
    A reasonable theory, but I doubt that's it. Banking apps (good ones) will time out your session after a few minutes of inactivity. It's reasonable to expect to be able to switch away to respond to a message or other notification and go back to your banking app. Myself, I often have to switch back and forth between my banking app and email when paying bills in order to get the amount and due date. If I got logged out every time I switched away, I'd be livid! It's a small sample size of four apps, but I've not experienced this problem with any of my banking apps.
    True, but I never said it was a GOOD banking app XD. A good app would have a disconnection timer, a lazy one just asks for another login every time you minimize it. I have two on my phone, one works fine and have a timer, the other one doesn't even work on split screen without refreshing every time I go back to it.

The point is, it's an issue with specific apps mostly, my KEYone BE multitask just fine.
    10-17-18 09:09 PM
    True, but I never said it was a GOOD banking app XD. A good app would have a disconnection timer, a lazy one just asks for another login every time you minimize it. I have two on my phone, one works fine and have a timer, the other one doesn't even work on split screen without refreshing every time I go back to it.
    I'll have to give you that one.

I had that problem frequently on my KEYone if the Facebook was still in memory. I had to switch to using it in the browser to keep it from being a slug ALL the time instead of just much of the time.
    10-17-18 09:41 PM
    I think it's a problem with Chrome or how Android handles the Chrome app.
    I face this problem on pretty much every Android phone I have.
    With other apps open, it multitasks fine.
    But with Chrome open, Chrome will refresh 9/10 times. Very frustrating indeed.
    10-17-18 09:49 PM
    Hi,

On my KeyOne on 8.1.0, I just can't seem to do any kind of multitasking, the memory management is so bad.
    Every time I even press on the square button, the app I was in closes and needs to reboot all over again as soon as I go back to it.
    This morning I was paying online and got a text from my bank, asking me to confirm. Tap the SMS notification, go to the app and copy the code, as soon as I get back to the browser the whole process was aborted because the browser closed while I was away.
    It's hugely frustrating trying to function like this. On BB10 you could have at least two or three heavy apps open, alongside the hub as well, before some of them started closing.
    Does anyone else have this issue? I get putting the current app at the top of the priority list, but it sure would be nice to be able to switch between apps seamlessly.
    Got the same issue while on the beta of oreo! After a lot of tries, the only fix has been to factory reset my keyone. Everything is way smoother now, battery life improved and REAL multitasking is here again. I can switch between 5-6 apps without reopening them (ofc heavier means less, so for example switching from chrome to telegram to pokemon go triggers a reset of pokemon go 9 times out of 10)
    10-18-18 02:53 AM
    No issues regarding multitasking at all here. Currently multitasking with 9 "live" apps running full fledged in the background at this very moment of reacting. So I guess it's not a systemic thing...
    10-18-18 02:26 PM
    Just wanted to add to the discussion that early reviews of the Pixel 3 shows that with 4GB of RAM, it has constant redraw of apps. No way of having proper multitasking.

And that’s stock Android.
    10-19-18 07:02 PM
    Just wanted to add to the discussion that early reviews of the Pixel 3 shows that with 4GB of RAM, it has constant redraw of apps. No way of having proper multitasking.

And that’s stock Android.
    Pretty sure it's the apps, not Android. Otherwise everyone needs to go buy LG because they fixed that problem.
    10-19-18 07:49 PM
    same problem here, i'm used to live with it but i want more, it's frustrating see how restart every app when i load from background
    10-20-18 02:29 AM
    Well, my Windows laptop has only got 4GB of ram and (though I wish is weren't fixed) I can multi-task all day. What's up with Android?
    10-20-18 09:01 AM
    Well, my Windows laptop has only got 4GB of ram and (though I wish is weren't fixed) I can multi-task all day. What's up with Android?
    A laptop work totally differently. When your laptop runs out of RAM, it uses a swap file on your hardrive to create virtual RAM. That allows you to keep pretty much all your apps open on windows with only 4Gb of RAM... although it might slow down.

On a mobile device it is not possible, for many obvious reasons.... except maybe on iOS, they somehow figured out a way to do it.
    10-20-18 10:09 AM
    A laptop work totally differently. When your laptop runs out of RAM, it uses a swap file on your hardrive to create virtual RAM. That allows you to keep pretty much all your apps open on windows with only 4Gb of RAM... although it might slow down.

On a mobile device it is not possible, for many obvious reasons.... except maybe on iOS, they somehow figured out a way to do it.
    Was aware how my laptop works, didn't think Android was much different. But, so it is.

As far as iOS goes:

"Although OS X supports a backing store, iOS does not. In iPhone applications, read-only data that is already on the disk (such as code pages) is simply removed from memory and reloaded from disk as needed. Writable data is never removed from memory by the operating system. Instead, if the amount of free memory drops below a certain threshold, the system asks the running applications to free up memory voluntarily to make room for new data. Applications that fail to free up enough memory are terminated."

From: https://developer.apple.com/library/...outMemory.html
    Last edited by scrannel; 10-20-18 at 01:06 PM.
    10-20-18 11:41 AM
    Was aware how my laptop works, didn't think Android was much different. But, so it is.

As far as iOS goes:

"Although OS X supports a backing store, iOS does not. In iPhone applications, read-only data that is already on the disk (such as code pages) is simply removed from memory and reloaded from disk as needed. Writable data is never removed from memory by the operating system. Instead, if the amount of free memory drops below a certain threshold, the system asks the running applications to free up memory voluntarily to make room for new data. Applications that fail to free up enough memory are terminated."

Windows and Android have some similarities but are vastly different in how they go about it. Your laptop is running desktop software that's evolved over 30 years with power management added to try and keep from running the battery out as fast as possible. Android is designed from the ground up to be a mobile OS using a battery 100% of the time. And it's looking more and more like BlackBerry users are suffering from additional tweaks designed to squeeze as much battery life as possible but those tweaks have been made by either novices or experts that don't care or are being told it doesn't matter - preserve the battery at all costs. It could also be some fault of the user, although I try to stay away from that mindset because I'm not right there looking over anyone's shoulder to see what they're doing. What I can tell is there's more than a couple statements being made about particular apps' behavior being attributed to the whole of Android, which is patently false.
    10-20-18 03:43 PM

As far as iOS goes:

Hmmm not sure if it’s as simple as that for iOS. If it were, why don’t Android just use the same method? Instead of shipping devices with 6 or 8GB of RAM they can just use 4GB and have a higher margin (or sell them cheaper).
    10-21-18 05:21 PM
    Hmmm not sure if it’s as simple as that for iOS. If it were, why don’t Android just use the same method? Instead of shipping devices with 6 or 8GB of RAM they can just use 4GB and have a higher margin (or sell them cheaper).
    Android by default does do this. It tries to keep your most used apps in RAM as much as possible, killing only the least used if it needs to free up some space.

Android might decide to shut down a process at some point, when memory is low and required by other processes that are more immediately serving the user. Application components running in the process that's killed are consequently destroyed. A process is started again for those components when there's again work for them to do.

When deciding which processes to kill, the Android system weighs their relative importance to the user. For example, it more readily shuts down a process hosting activities that are no longer visible on screen, compared to a process hosting visible activities. The decision whether to terminate a process, therefore, depends on the state of the components running in that process.
    - From Overview of memory management - Processes and threads overview (Android Developer )
    10-21-18 05:49 PM
    Android by default does do this. It tries to keep your most used apps in RAM as much as possible, killing only the least used if it needs to free up some space.

- From Overview of memory management - Processes and threads overview (Android Developer )
    No the method used by iOS is totally different and to my knowledge a closely guarded secret. That’s why a 4GB of RAM iPhone XS can multitask better than a 6GB of RAM Note 8. Just look around on the internet, plenty of Youtube video showing the difference.

I tried to find readings on how iOS manages RAM but the only thing I can find is this:

It’s a 20 mins video but really worth watching.

It’s really interesting that not only active apps on iOS uses less RAM...

Apps in background on iOS can go from 300MB to only 10MB... and instantly spring back to 300MB without needing to reload.

How that is done, no one knows... and I don’t think it’s loading from storage cause it’s too slow, especially for games.
    10-21-18 06:40 PM
    No the method used by iOS is totally different and to my knowledge a closely guarded secret. That’s why a 4GB of RAM iPhone XS can multitask better than a 6GB of RAM Note 8. Just look around on the internet, plenty of Youtube video showing the difference.

I tried to find readings on how iOS manages RAM but the only thing I can find is this:

It’s a 20 mins video but really worth watching.

It’s really interesting that not only active apps on iOS uses less RAM...

Apps in background on iOS can go from 300MB to only 10MB... and instantly spring back to 300MB without needing to reload.

How that is done, no one knows... and I don’t think it’s loading from storage cause it’s too slow, especially for games.
    I don't see your point. A modern Android phone has more memory so why would devs need to shrink their apps to match their iOS counterparts? Also, spec wars - buy me! I have more RAM than I did last year plus more than that device over there!

But really, let's take a look at something. This is my RAM usage over the past few hours, and over the past day. 4GB is PLENTY - I've never hit max usage and except for a couple offenders my apps never stutter or lag. There's something else going on with BlackBerry Android if it's having issues.

Absolutely no way of multitasking. Every single app closes as soon as it's not in the foreground.-screenshot_2018-10-22-08-40-08.jpgAbsolutely no way of multitasking. Every single app closes as soon as it's not in the foreground.-screenshot_2018-10-22-08-39-48.jpg
    10-22-18 08:43 AM
    I don't see your point. A modern Android phone has more memory so why would devs need to shrink their apps to match their iOS counterparts? Also, spec wars - buy me! I have more RAM than I did last year plus more than that device over there!

But really, let's take a look at something. This is my RAM usage over the past few hours, and over the past day. 4GB is PLENTY - I've never hit max usage and except for a couple offenders my apps never stutter or lag. There's something else going on with BlackBerry Android if it's having issues.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-22-08-40-08.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	440909Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-22-08-39-48.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	440910
    You don’t understand how RAM works... you will never hit the max. The OS will kill apps before you hit max... it doesn’t work like a desktop!

Try it! Open apps on your phone... open all your apps and let me know if you hit 100%. It won’t.

You should watch the video, it will help you understand how RAM works on a mobile device and how iOS and Android works differently.

My point is that instead of just adding more RAM, which is the easy, non innovative way of doing things, why not better code Android? Devices will cost less/margins will be higher.
    10-22-18 09:57 AM
    You don’t understand how RAM works... you will never hit the max. The OS will kill apps before you hit max... it doesn’t work like a desktop!

Try it! Open apps on your phone... open all your apps and let me know if you hit 100%. It won’t.

You should watch the video, it will help you understand how RAM works on a mobile device and how iOS and Android works differently.

My point is that instead of just adding more RAM, which is the easy, non innovative way of doing things, why not better code Android? Devices will cost less/margins will be higher.
    I know exactly how RAM works, I posted an explanation that matched the video you posted. Again - Android has excellent memory management. If I open apps, it will use what's available until it can't. It won't fill the RAM allotment because it needs to keep a variable amount free for everything it has in RAM to run. I'm still waiting for you to explain why my G6 has almost no problems with memory management. If I get app redraw, it's because its been long enough since I last used those apps that if they didn't redraw I'd have to manually refresh them. So let's compare notes, otherwise it's looking to me like you'd rather just complain instead of troubleshoot. I'd say starting with looking at poorly optimized BlackBerry apps would be a good idea.
    10-22-18 10:51 AM
    I know exactly how RAM works, I posted an explanation that matched the video you posted. Again - Android has excellent memory management. If I open apps, it will use what's available until it can't. It won't fill the RAM allotment because it needs to keep a variable amount free for everything it has in RAM to run. I'm still waiting for you to explain why my G6 has almost no problems with memory management. If I get app redraw, it's because its been long enough since I last used those apps that if they didn't redraw I'd have to manually refresh them. So let's compare notes, otherwise it's looking to me like you'd rather just complain instead of troubleshoot. I'd say starting with looking at poorly optimized BlackBerry apps would be a good idea.
    I’m talking about Android in general.... not specific to one device.

Look around youtube, you’ll find countless and countless of videos showing the Pixel 3 killing apps when multitasking. Same for the Note 9, which has 6 GB of RAM. It’s not for each app developer to optimize their app.

Do you think that each single app developer on iOS optimize their app just for the iPhone?

But somehow they don’t do it for the Pixel, the Note, Key2?

Also I am not talking about your specific experience. Maybe for your usage, 4GB of RAM is enough. Phones are not designed for the usage of a specific person, they need to appeal to the general public.

And on a flagship device like the Note 9 or the Pixel 3, they need to appeal to heavy multitaskers.
    10-22-18 11:54 AM
    I’m talking about Android in general.... not specific to one device.

Look around youtube, you’ll find countless and countless of videos showing the Pixel 3 killing apps when multitasking. Same for the Note 9, which has 6 GB of RAM. It’s not for each app developer to optimize their app.

Do you think that each single app developer on iOS optimize their app just for the iPhone?

But somehow they don’t do it for the Pixel, the Note, Key2?

Also I am not talking about your specific experience. Maybe for your usage, 4GB of RAM is enough. Phones are not designed for the usage of a specific person, they need to appeal to the general public.

And on a flagship device like the Note 9 or the Pixel 3, they need to appeal to heavy multitaskers.
    Then by your reasoning, LG knows what they're doing and has made adjustments. However, I've used BlackBerry apps on my devices and I can, with complete confidence, say they are not properly optimized. BBM alone sits higher in RAM usage than other apps I use hourly even when it's been idle for over a month (and has been removed after making that observation) and tries to keep the device awake ignoring battery optimization. It's a similar situation for the rest of the BlackBerry suite. Can you install any piece of software stand-alone? No. You're required to install BlackBerry Hub+ services in order to use anything, and it's trying to integrate with the entire device. Completely unnecessary if the individual apps were coded properly. Your assertion "it's the OS" is flawed, and tossing out examples of new devices having problems when their predecessors don't says there's something else at play, not the amount of RAM or lack thereof. Nobody's using 6 or 8GB worth of apps to "multitask". Try removing BlackBerry software and see if there's not a marked improvement in your 3 or 4GB BlackBerry.
    10-22-18 01:13 PM
    do you sport your BlackBerry device also wearing black trench-coat and many facial piercings ?
    10-22-18 01:25 PM
    I wonder if restricting the number of background processes in developer options would apply to the troubles cited by the OP ?? Its way over my meager fund of knowledge...
    10-22-18 01:32 PM
    Then by your reasoning, LG knows what they're doing and has made adjustments. However, I've used BlackBerry apps on my devices and I can, with complete confidence, say they are not properly optimized. BBM alone sits higher in RAM usage than other apps I use hourly even when it's been idle for over a month (and has been removed after making that observation) and tries to keep the device awake ignoring battery optimization. It's a similar situation for the rest of the BlackBerry suite. Can you install any piece of software stand-alone? No. You're required to install BlackBerry Hub+ services in order to use anything, and it's trying to integrate with the entire device. Completely unnecessary if the individual apps were coded properly. Your assertion "it's the OS" is flawed, and tossing out examples of new devices having problems when their predecessors don't says there's something else at play, not the amount of RAM or lack thereof. Nobody's using 6 or 8GB worth of apps to "multitask". Try removing BlackBerry software and see if there's not a marked improvement in your 3 or 4GB BlackBerry.
    It doesn’t take much to burn through 4GB of RAM on android. Here watch this head to head between the Pixel 3 vs the iPhone XS. Both uses 4GB of RAM.

Notice that the Pixel did not keep any app in RAM. It just killed them... meaning that one of the last app just killed everything is memory.

So imagine this: you work on a text document... then suddenly you decide to record a video, edit it and post on instagram. Come back to your text document and it’s gone.

Maybe for you, you don’t need more than 4GB of RAM. But this is a flagship device, and if they put 4GB of RAM, they better make sure Android Pie have proper RAM management.

From this above comparaison... it’s not even close!
    10-22-18 01:48 PM
    Preservation of Background Pages (on server side). Is a feature control which can be set under:

Chrome://flags

It's under something like: Loading of Background Pages > Enabled

Some of these features may have been modified during a Chrome update which may be reason for some changes.

This deals with apps on the Web (server side) while development mode background apps limit deals with device apps.

These UI settings are across the board., erm Android. So, I believe will also dictate Firefox's to parameters.

When do I get my green title??
    10-22-18 05:11 PM
124 1234 ...