Hi,

On my KeyOne on 8.1.0, I just can't seem to do any kind of multitasking, the memory management is so bad.
    Every time I even press on the square button, the app I was in closes and needs to reboot all over again as soon as I go back to it.
    This morning I was paying online and got a text from my bank, asking me to confirm. Tap the SMS notification, go to the app and copy the code, as soon as I get back to the browser the whole process was aborted because the browser closed while I was away.
    It's hugely frustrating trying to function like this. On BB10 you could have at least two or three heavy apps open, alongside the hub as well, before some of them started closing.
    Does anyone else have this issue? I get putting the current app at the top of the priority list, but it sure would be nice to be able to switch between apps seamlessly.
    nguyendaovietnam likes this.
    10-09-18 12:02 PM
    On Android, you probably need minimum 4, but ideally 6GB of RAM if you intend to do some multitasking, especially if you run some heavy apps.
    10-09-18 12:09 PM
    On Android, you probably need minimum 4, but ideally 6GB of RAM if you intend to do some multitasking, especially if you run some heavy apps.
    No. KEYᵒⁿᵉ with 3GB runs beautifully on Oreo. I can multitask with 6+ apps open, and do so without refresh with 2-4 apps open.
    RLeeSimon, bitek and MartyE like this.
    10-09-18 12:18 PM
    Hi,

On my KeyOne on 8.1.0, I just can't seem to do any kind of multitasking, the memory management is so bad.
    Every time I even press on the square button, the app I was in closes and needs to reboot all over again as soon as I go back to it.
    This morning I was paying online and got a text from my bank, asking me to confirm. Tap the SMS notification, go to the app and copy the code, as soon as I get back to the browser the whole process was aborted because the browser closed while I was away.
    It's hugely frustrating trying to function like this. On BB10 you could have at least two or three heavy apps open, alongside the hub as well, before some of them started closing.
    Does anyone else have this issue? I get putting the current app at the top of the priority list, but it sure would be nice to be able to switch between apps seamlessly.
    Something is wrong. Do a factory reset.
    10-09-18 12:18 PM
    Have you checked the development options if enabled?
    10-09-18 01:25 PM
    I haven't enabled the development options, I think they're off.
    Seems like a reboot temporarily fixed it. The same problem always comes back again though. Also, disabling some apps in the Power centre seems to help.
    10-10-18 12:12 PM
    No. KEYᵒⁿᵉ with 3GB runs beautifully on Oreo. I can multitask with 6+ apps open, and do so without refresh with 2-4 apps open.
    Generally that's true for light apps. But I have OP's experience as well. Any time I leave an app and come back to it, it needs to refresh.

I catch myself clearing background apps often and that helps a bunch (especially if there are gaming apps involved).
    10-11-18 02:32 AM
    Same happens to me. Stop with the "something must be wrong", "do a factory reset" thing. If you are lag free, know you are the exception, not the rule.
    10-11-18 07:18 AM
    Same happens to me. Stop with the "something must be wrong", "do a factory reset" thing. If you are lag free, know you are the exception, not the rule.
    I've noticed the same issue, since upgrading to 8.1.
    10-11-18 08:51 AM
    I've noticed the same issue, since upgrading to 8.1.
    Shut down all of the apps that don't provide useful notifications from starting with Power Centre.
    10-11-18 10:43 AM
    Hi,

Pretty sure that's by design. Google does the same thing with login pages. I memorize the 2fa code as the text comes in and just type it.
    10-11-18 11:12 AM
    I have this issue as well, even with the recents cleared.
    I would have, for example, FBReader open, Home button -> Chrome, do a google search and when going back to FBReader, it has to reload.

It does seem like rebooting helps but only for a day-ish before it starts closing non-foreground apps.

I've disabled almost every app in power center from auto-loading but have also noticed that there's almost always 800MB-1GB of free memory available yet it still closes anything i switch from.

I don't have any games or even "hungry" apps -- except for BBM, which I've seen take between 90MB-300MB of memory, averages between 150-250MB on most checks in Power Center.

This is also after a wipe after installing Oreo.

The phone itself is fast and responsive no matter what I do, but it's very gungho about autoclosing apps.
    10-14-18 08:35 PM
    I have this issue as well, even with the recents cleared.
    I would have, for example, FBReader open, Home button -> Chrome, do a google search and when going back to FBReader, it has to reload.

It does seem like rebooting helps but only for a day-ish before it starts closing non-foreground apps.

I've disabled almost every app in power center from auto-loading but have also noticed that there's almost always 800MB-1GB of free memory available yet it still closes anything i switch from.

I don't have any games or even "hungry" apps -- except for BBM, which I've seen take between 90MB-300MB of memory, averages between 150-250MB on most checks in Power Center.

This is also after a wipe after installing Oreo.

The phone itself is fast and responsive no matter what I do, but it's very gungho about autoclosing apps.
    Very curious if BlackBerry made some minimal tweaking for battery optimization. I'd really like to borrow someone's KEYone for a while to see what's happening myself. I have a LG G6 on Oreo and for the most part apps don't behave like what you're describing. Aside from apps that seem to refresh on purpose as I noted a couple posts prior, I can hop from app to app and they'll be just as I left them when I come back. I've started answering a post on CB with Firefox, left in the middle to read something on Twitter, started a reply then switched to WhatsApp to ask something, switched to Google when I didn't believe the reply, went back to Twitter and finished replying there, then pop back to CB to finish the post. That's pretty typical usage, and I only see refreshing if I put off getting back to a previous app for a good spell or lock the phone.

Could it be the 3GB KEYone has issues, or is this happening on the 4GB model too? And if it's both, is it also happening with the Motion and KEY2/LE?
    Last edited by Fret Madden; 10-15-18 at 04:09 AM.
    10-14-18 11:14 PM
    Not seeing this behavior on my Motion. In the habit, in particular, of moving between PDF; Noted; Fade In and MS Word and they do not reload. Perhaps I'm missing what you're saying.
    Last edited by scrannel; 10-15-18 at 09:39 AM.
    10-15-18 02:39 AM
    Same here
    10-16-18 09:25 AM
    You would not have developers options enabled by any chance ? There is option there to limit how many apps can run in the background. You would not have this option enabled by mistake ?
    10-16-18 09:27 AM
    I have two EU based banking apps. one survives being minimized and I can pick up where I left off, & the other does not and requires me to log in and start over… happily I found it does work in 2 pane view so I can copy structured communications from the bill. it's a hassle.
    10-16-18 12:17 PM
    I have two EU based banking apps. one survives being minimized and I can pick up where I left off, & the other does not and requires me to log in and start over… happily I found it does work in 2 pane view so I can copy structured communications from the bill. it's a hassle.
    But dude.. It's a banking app, I'm pretty sure requiring a new login after minimizing is an intended security feature. Annoying? Yes, but it prevents you from forgetting to close the app and someone else accessing your account.

As for apps in general, my KEYone BE doesn't have any trouble multitasking. Going from one app to another is seamless, split screen works great.

A few specific apps need to be reloaded, but that's an issue with those specific apps (one of them is a banking app, being poorly designed it doesn't even allow for split screen).
    10-16-18 12:58 PM
    But dude.. It's a banking app, I'm pretty sure requiring a new login after minimizing is an intended security feature. Annoying? Yes, but it prevents you from forgetting to close the app and someone else accessing your account.

As for apps in general, my KEYone BE doesn't have any trouble multitasking. Going from one app to another is seamless, split screen works great.

A few specific apps need to be reloaded, but that's an issue with those specific apps (one of them is a banking app, being poorly designed it doesn't even allow for split screen).
    Indeed, I find app design quite variable. The banking apps are troublesome to many for other reasons as well mentioned often on CB. I do multi-task a lot using often up to 8-10 open apps, that with an original .001 silver 3gb/32gb KEYᵒⁿᵉ and seldom have trouble. The sole annoyance in that situation is chrome restored from minimized begins reloading pages due to resource hogging with which I simply close some open apps. I guess the 4gb device you have avoids that and some key²s have 6gb, even better !! Such is life in the fast lane…
    10-16-18 01:23 PM
    Indeed, I find app design quite variable. The banking apps are troublesome to many for other reasons as well mentioned often on CB. I do multi-task a lot using often up to 8-10 open apps, that with an original .001 silver 3gb/32gb KEYᵒⁿᵉ and seldom have trouble. The sole annoyance in that situation is chrome restored from minimized begins reloading pages due to resource hogging with which I simply close some open apps. I guess the 4gb device you have avoids that and some key²s have 6gb, even better !! Such is life in the fast lane…
    Actually, I'm not using Chrome (I prefer Firefox), so I wouldn't know.
    Also, my OCD leads me to close unused apps as soon as I'm done with them, so my open apps usually goes around 5 tops.
    So far, 4gb RAM has been plenty enough for my needs
    10-16-18 01:35 PM
    Actually, I'm not using Chrome (I prefer Firefox), so I wouldn't know.
    Also, my OCD leads me to close unused apps as soon as I'm done with them, so my open apps usually goes around 5 tops.
    So far, 4gb RAM has been plenty enough for my needs
    In developer options there is a setting to limit the number of open processes... I don't use it and I don't know how it affects functioning. Just saying…
    10-16-18 02:13 PM
    Hi,

My BlackBerry Aurora can do multitask but limited I guess. For 2 apps open are fine, for example CrackBerry and Chrome browsing a website. Read website then switch to back to see articles or comments in CrackBerry are fine, but when switch to Skype, it will reload.
    10-16-18 02:29 PM
    In developer options there is a setting to limit the number of open processes... I don't use it and I don't know how it affects functioning. Just saying…
    Thanks for the tip, but I rather not mess with the developer's settings if I can help it.
    I got so used to closing unused apps that it became kinda automatic. Aside from OCD, before the KEYone I had a DTEK60, so it became a habit also because of the extra battery consumption.
    10-16-18 05:03 PM
    OCD has numerous treatment options. I looked in the DSM10 and could not find a code for dtek60 so I wondered what medication you recommend for that ?? LOL
    10-16-18 05:08 PM
    My OCD is pretty harmless, just the need to keep things tidy and organized, like a male Brazilian-asian version of Monica Geller (on a side note, maybe it's not OCD, it could just be a Japanese thing, given that their greatest achievement on recent soccer world cups was cleaning up the stadiums before leaving).

On the other hand, DTEK60 is a far more serious condition that could lead you unable to communicate with others and has no known treatment. Doctors say it's caused by severe and chronicle drainage.. battery-wise, I mean XD
    10-16-18 10:07 PM
124 123 ...