So last night my 4th, yes fourth Keyone screen lifted. I had 4 screen failures and one fingerprint scanner failure. As easy as the warranty swap in the USA is, I decided to just tape it really well with the 3m tape. I did the sides and the back of the screen and I'm good to go so far. My first attempt 3 Keyones ago I used too much tape and the screen was spongey

My biggest gripe with this failure isn't so much the manufacturing defect, but the fact that blackberry keeps on grabbing an old faulty phone and shipping it out to me. This latest screen failure has a date of june 9th and was shipped in Aug. I knew it would pop off. Taking it out of my Ringle case did the trick. I know many, if not the major majority hasn't had even one screen come off. I had now 4. Is it because I keep the phone in my back pocket? It's in a case when it is. BTW. Once again, very little to no adhesive was applied.
    09-28-17 09:01 AM
    Sorry to hear... There's already a screen lift thread though
    09-28-17 09:07 AM
    I'm aware. But 4 lifts I felt is worthy of its own thread. Let's the mods move it or delete it. I really don't care
    FF22 likes this.
    09-28-17 09:11 AM
    I'll be on my 3rd one later today. Seems like they just send whatever arrives in a bin and send it out without doing too much of a repair job on it.
    09-28-17 09:34 AM
    Man, everytime I come here this whole situation seems to have reached a new level.

How do you stay with that many screen lifts? Did you pay $1 for the phone or got it for free? I just don't get why someone would put themselves through this sort of pain for a device that is clearly not built well.

The 1st screen lift would have had me demanding a refund. I hope Apple and Samsung never put me through and crap like this.
    WT44 likes this.
    09-28-17 02:24 PM
    Man, everytime I come here this whole situation seems to have reached a new level.

How do you stay with that many screen lifts? Did you pay $1 for the phone or got it for free? I just don't get why someone would put themselves through this sort of pain for a device that is clearly not built well.

The 1st screen lift would have had me demanding a refund. I hope Apple and Samsung never put me through and crap like this.
    It's called a PKB, and its awesome. No one else is taking a damn risk with that feature, so KEYone is THE way to go. OP taped his screen back, problem is gone forever. Voila.
    Yes, yes... He should never have to even think about self repair for a device that price with such a reputable company (build quality wise).
    It is what it is, great battery life + PKB are enough for many people to go through this crap.
    If Slabsung or anyone else released a device that competes directly with the KEYone (PKB), I'm sure many would have jumped ship instead of dealing with multiple returns.
    pooyam likes this.
    09-28-17 02:38 PM
    It's called a PKB, and its awesome. No one else is taking a damn risk with that feature, so KEYone is THE way to go. OP taped his screen back, problem is gone forever. Voila.
    Yes, yes... He should never have to even think about self repair for a device that price with such a reputable company (build quality wise).
    It is what it is, great battery life + PKB are enough for many people to go through this crap.
    If Slabsung or anyone else released a device that competes directly with the KEYone (PKB), I'm sure many would have jumped ship instead of dealing with multiple returns.
    But the display is the primary way to interact with the phone. If his display falls out in the middle of traveling or during an emergency, would the keyboard really be worth it?

You know what, don't answer that 😂 I've read enough around here to know that the PKB is life.

All the best with the self repair OP!
    09-28-17 02:46 PM
    Well as much as I have been absolutely livid with the process of whatever this return/replacement process is I guess I complained enough to someone. Today ups delivered a new in box k1 which was the right thing to do in my mind at least. Also I guess to sweeten me up a bit they included a dual layer case as well which is OK I guess considering this is my 3rd replacement.
    FF22 likes this.
    09-28-17 02:57 PM
    Well as much as I have been absolutely livid with the process of whatever this return/replacement process is I guess I complained enough to someone. Today ups delivered a new in box k1 which was the right thing to do in my mind at least. Also I guess to sweeten me up a bit they included a dual layer case as well which is OK I guess considering this is my 3rd replacement. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7e6992446d.jpg
    You might wanna check the dates via that software trick before you start gloating loll

You've already been on the 3rd and you're happy over a free case lol.
    09-28-17 04:23 PM
    Actually many have jumped ship. To the point the parent company had to exit hardware completely.

Blackberry handsets don't even account for 1% of global smartphones. It wasn't even 0.5%. I think it was 0.3% and that was a year or two ago. It is obviously even less now. I don't see TCL doing anything to grow it either. But they will figure it out loll.

Like I keep reading about people in the dtek60 thread trying to look around for retailers still selling it and they're willing to pay full msrp for that phone even though it's EOL and the battery life is poor.

That's your typical blackberry user pretty much at this point lol
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    09-28-17 04:26 PM
    Actually many have jumped ship. To the point the parent company had to exit hardware completely.

Blackberry handsets don't even account for 1% of global smartphones. It wasn't even 0.5%. I think it was 0.3% and that was a year or two ago. It is obviously even less now. I don't see TCL doing anything to grow it either. But they will figure it out loll.

Like I keep reading about people in the dtek60 thread trying to look around for retailers still selling it and they're willing to pay full msrp for that phone even though it's EOL and the battery life is poor.

Right I agree (how could I not, those are factual numbers) but I think the KEYone really made the PKB cool and relevant again. Having it double as a trackpad + fingerprint scanner is an amazing use of space. This phone should have been released 4 years ago, but better now than never.
    09-28-17 04:37 PM
    You might wanna check the dates via that software trick before you start gloating loll

I already have checked the date there buddy and I am far from gloating. I'm simply stating that all the complaining to whoever it was made them at least do the right thing. No need to be sore.
    09-28-17 04:55 PM
    Long are the days of using blackberry back in the day and was loyal and faithful but now it's fading fast to the point Iam on a new device that's not blackberry. Shame cause I miss their hay days on top and now? Popping screens and overheating privs and dtek with horrible battery life and I like what gives!!!
    09-28-17 06:14 PM

Free cases... worked for Apple...

Although people have complained about BlackBerry screwing up in the past, BlackBerry has done some very nice gestures, like replace people's BlackBerry's /free of charge/ and one time, when Digital River screwed up on a discount code, they had Digital River send everyone /double/ whatever was ordered for /free/, including some orders with phones!
    Al moon likes this.
    09-28-17 06:49 PM
    Free cases... worked for Apple...

Although people have complained about BlackBerry screwing up in the past, BlackBerry has done some very nice gestures, like replace people's BlackBerry's /free of charge/ and one time, when Digital River screwed up on a discount code, they had Digital River send everyone /double/ whatever was ordered for /free/, including some orders with phones!
    Its funny how uptight some people are i was just stating that they actually did right by me by sending a new device just made a month ago in its box with a case that hopefully wont give me any issues. Am i happy or "gloating" that they sent me a new phone no not really its what i paid for and i think in the end it was nice of them to throw in a case. And it is funny that another company can throw in something to calm people down and its "genius" but somehow it cant work for another company just outrageous.
    09-28-17 07:28 PM
    Damn. At this point you should just take it apart and apply some adhesive under the LCD
    cwalt2166 likes this.
    09-28-17 07:30 PM
    I'm not surprised that tcl or whoever the licensee for Korea is, is going out & doing the same thing that AT&T/BB Canada used to do with Passports/Privs that had hardware defects. Some habits die really hard, especially if you want to flatter the original.
    09-29-17 08:45 AM

Why stay?

The same reason I stuck with the PRIV through six, yes six, warranty replacement units (all of them had clicky/loose screens). Because there is no alternative. There are no other pkb capacitive touch phones out there.
    09-29-17 11:01 AM
    Why stay?

The same reason I stuck with the PRIV through six, yes six, warranty replacement units (all of them had clicky/loose screens). Because there is no alternative. There are no other pkb capacitive touch phones out there.
    It's a tough one I see. Only BB are seriously catering to PKB users, others are not at all or making half hearted efforts.

Such a shame really you have to go through all that.
    09-29-17 12:09 PM
    How is this any different then people stuck in apple eco system and changing their phones every few months because their screen is cracked after someone sneezes? The difference is BB has more moving parts and it can be more easily blamed on BB then on Apple. They can design their phone better to not crack so easily.
    09-29-17 12:30 PM
    This should be merged into the existing thread.
    09-30-17 01:43 AM

Lol! That is madness! What is the point of even getting a DTEK60 at this point? Despite the great hardware (SoC and RAM) BB/TCL seem to have abandoned the thing at this point, such a shame.

DTEK60 is the perfect phone for a good Custom ROM, if the XDA community cared enough to bother to try get into it, I think there'd be some good work done for it.
    09-30-17 03:54 AM
    How is this any different then people stuck in apple eco system and changing their phones every few months because their screen is cracked after someone sneezes? The difference is BB has more moving parts and it can be more easily blamed on BB then on Apple. They can design their phone better to not crack so easily.
    This is vastly different. A phone screen shouldn't just fall out.
    09-30-17 03:58 AM
    How is this any different then people stuck in apple eco system and changing their phones every few months because their screen is cracked after someone sneezes?
    One breaks, sometimes, when you drop it. The other breaks, sometimes, when you use it.

If this happens four times to one user then it's statistically impossible for the screen detachment to be a rare manufacturing defect. Even if as few as 10% of the devices had the defect, the chances of a single user having four would be one in 10,000.
    09-30-17 06:20 AM
    Well as much as I have been absolutely livid with the process of whatever this return/replacement process is I guess I complained enough to someone. Today ups delivered a new in box k1 which was the right thing to do in my mind at least. Also I guess to sweeten me up a bit they included a dual layer case as well which is OK I guess considering this is my 3rd replacement. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...7e6992446d.jpg
    Good on them for at least showing that they care, understand you've been through a lot. That small token is unnecessary and just good of them to do.

And glad that your frustrations are now hopefully behind you and you can stop worrying about screen lifts and just enjoy your phone going forward.

Posted with my BlackBerry KEYone.
    09-30-17 06:46 AM
31 12