Check out this article. Low cost Mercury on the way later this year?

https://www.cnet.com/news/nokia-blac...-nokia-6-2017/

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 07:09 PM
    Well if thats the case, then the Mercury at MWC should come with a snapdragon 820 and at least 4 GIGS of Ram
    antonrr and Anel Kapur like this.
    01-16-17 07:20 PM
    I don't see anything in that article to suggest that TCL is planning a low cost version of the mid ranged Mercury.
    01-16-17 07:30 PM
    Read again " Alcatel's head of North America, Steve Cistulli, told CNET. Before 2017 ends, expect the Mercury to have a low-cost counterpart."

Posted via CB10
    BB-JAM215 likes this.
    01-16-17 07:45 PM
    Read again " Alcatel's head of North America, Steve Cistulli, told CNET. Before 2017 ends, expect the Mercury to have a low-cost counterpart."
    Thanks, I missed it. That could then be a version without the BlackBerry software, like the two Idol 4 and DTEK50 versions.
    01-16-17 08:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    Could be interpreted a lot of ways. I see it as PKB device with lower specs. Like if the DTEK60 came out and then the DTEK50 launched months later. That's just my interpretation. Like a Mercury with smaller screen, no Fingerprint Scanner or capacitative touch. Not sure there's a market for one or both. I'll give the Merc a try...but it's still Android and I can't seem to get use to it.
    01-16-17 08:11 PM
    Thanks, I missed it. That could then be a version without the BlackBerry software, like the two Idol 4 and DTEK50 versions.
    TCL has already stated their brands will not over lap and it will be new and different designs.
    01-16-17 08:14 PM
    TCL has already stated their brands will not over lap and it will be new and different designs.
    Can you provide a source for that statement?
    01-16-17 08:16 PM
    Can you provide a source for that statement?
    "Moving forward, any BlackBerry-branded hardware will have its own design. Alcatel will continue on with its own devices, and the Idol line isn’t going to be scrapped as a result of this deal, according to Cistulli.

The second is that BlackBerry won’t cede security software development to TCL. All the Android apps and security updates it rolls out will continue in-house in Canada, albeit with closer cooperation. The intricacies of this new arrangement may not have fully been determined, and Cistulli forecasts 2018 to be the year where the partnership bears fruit for both sides. What is unclear is whether BlackBerry will play any real role in developing software security for Alcatel-branded devices, something that would be “open for discussion,” according to Cistulli."

The quote is from one article. There are several other interviews around them partnership announcement where he touches on it in more details. Feel free to search those.

https://www.google.ca/amp/business.f...ndroid-bell-ca
    FF22 likes this.
    01-16-17 08:46 PM
    Thanks, that still leaves the question of exactly what "own design" means.
    01-16-17 08:55 PM
    Thanks, that still leaves the question of exactly what "own design" means.
    Maybe exactly what it means. Their own designs meaning unique. Their own....not belonging to another.

But I'm sure you are right that a second version of the mercury will be a low end Alcatel phone (failing to see the second part which already states that BlackBerry software hasn't even been discussed for devices other then BlackBerry devices). After all, you sighted a source the even remotely hinted at that right?
    01-16-17 09:04 PM
    In the end it will depend on exactly what TCL and BlackBerry agreed to and what TCL decides will best fit with their business plans.
    01-16-17 11:02 PM
    In the end it will depend on exactly what TCL and BlackBerry agreed to and what TCL decides will best fit with their business plans.
    Alright. I'm just going by what they actually say but that doesn't count for anything I guess.
    01-16-17 11:08 PM
    This is great news for those of us hoping for a premium processor/ram!
    Very excited.

Posted via CB10
    01-17-17 12:01 AM
    This is great news for those of us hoping for a premium processor/ram!
    Very excited.

Posted via CB10
    Or it's just like a mid-range and then a very low-end crappy device, haha.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-17-17 12:28 AM
    Counterpart could mean a Mercury Lite, or completely different BlackBerry device.
    01-17-17 01:18 AM
    They wrote it without any actual source. What Cistulli said is just that we should expect more smartphones to come. And I'm sure the next one will be a full-touch again. If it was true, every BlackBerry-specialized blog would be discussing about the cheap Mercury right now. Also, I don't think the Mercury can actually get a little brother: they cannot release it with a smaller screen (people even complain about a 4,6" screen!), nor with worse specs (something less powerful than the DTEK50? Uhm). I think that the future of BlackBerry is in the mid-range, whether it is sometimes "low-mid" (DTEK50) or "mid-high" (DTEK60): always between 300$ and 500$ circa. Maybe the next PKB will sport a different, all-black design, but similar specs.
    01-17-17 03:01 AM
    Or it's just like a mid-range and then a very low-end crappy device, haha.

Posted without the aid of AutoCorrect with my physical keyboard via CB10
    I expect another 'Priv' priced phone now that this article tells us that TCL calls the Mercury a "premium" device. Another $700 Blackberry?
    01-18-17 12:43 PM
    Honestly, tcl has no real US known brand. Blackberry is actually a know brand worldwide and the hate of it seems to have been slowly morphing into nostalgia a bit from what I can see. Tcl should consider going full force behind this brand... they can taught the blackberry software and security etc. The only reason not to is if their deal with BlackBerry is not that great. Ultimately they would have to purchase blackberry and that might kill the us govt contracts. It is all very interesting to consider
    01-24-17 12:50 PM
    Honestly, tcl has no real US known brand. Blackberry is actually a know brand worldwide and the hate of it seems to have been slowly morphing into nostalgia a bit from what I can see. Tcl should consider going full force behind this brand... they can taught the blackberry software and security etc. The only reason not to is if their deal with BlackBerry is not that great. Ultimately they would have to purchase blackberry and that might kill the us govt contracts. It is all very interesting to consider
    I don't know about the USA, but in Europe Alcatel is a pretty famous brand. And I also herd TCL sells TVs too in America.
    01-24-17 06:13 PM
    Can't wait any longer! Come on Feb 25th!!

Posted via CB10
    01-24-17 07:18 PM
    I expect another 'Priv' priced phone now that this article tells us that TCL calls the Mercury a "premium" device. Another $700 Blackberry?
    I don't see this at all...the device itself offers the ability to produce at cheaper price lowering the price point. If the specs we "think" are coming, there's nothing "new" except a smaller screen and physical keyboard. From at least a hardware perspective I see cheaper phone to build. I'm gonna say somewhere around $449 USD. No way this phone is more expensive than the DTEK60. The only thing would be Nougat out of the box, but Nougat release for DTEK is rumored for March anyway I believe. Just my opinion overall.
    01-25-17 05:50 AM

https://www.cnet.com/news/nokia-blac...-nokia-6-2017/

Posted via CB10
    Reminds me of the bold and curve days
    01-25-17 06:01 AM