08-17-17 11:44 AM
164 12345 ...
tools
    Hi all, thanks for the (general) support. I am posting this here as this forum isnt only frequented by people with blind faith.

My reactions to the device are based on using lots of devices and not thinking that a PKB trumps all other aspects - especially for a £500 device. It's entirely possible that someone reading this will sacrifice some other aspects of the device in order to have a PKB - which is fine. If that's you, be happy. It's not a bad device at all - in fact it's actually quite decent but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. If you get time go and try a Pixel or a One Plus 3T or a Moto Z Play of even the latest Moto G with 3GB ram and tell me how the KeyOne performs.

In the Android world, specs matter. This isn't iOS sadly and CPUs, fast storage, more RAM all make tangible differences.

As for a few people incorrectly stating that all reviews have been positive... Really? I'd say this device got a very good set of reviews but there are lots which point out very valid issues. A few podcasts have mentioned that the performance was dreadful before the launch patch. If that's true... What has CBK been using all this time since MWC? I love the guy's passion but......
    05-07-17 11:15 AM
    I've had the K1 for 24 hours and I have to say I'm totally conflicted on whether or not I want to keep it.

I've came back to a PKB from iPhone 5s. My two issues:

- I just can't get on board with Android. I appreciate you can customise it and make it as you wish but I just want it to work.
    - I'm struggling with the keyboard. I didn't realise how used to typing on a VKB I am, and how much I will actually use one handed typing at times. The keyboard itself is brilliant, it's easy to use, the keys feel nice but it feels slow.

I believe I have 14 days to swap with CPW so I need to think of this carefully.

Just to add I have experienced no software or performance issues at all. It seems to just work and that's all you need.
    05-07-17 11:27 AM

In the Android world, specs matter. This isn't iOS sadly and CPUs, fast storage, more RAM all make tangible differences.
    False... Just like the original post = full of bloat...

You realize that iOS hide some of it's lag with lengthy animations right? You realize that the Pixel (yes I have one) also lags at times depending on what you are doing on it right?

C'mon man.... Looking through your post history, it's 99,9% negativity... To each their own but you are not fooling me..

I'll judge it with my own in hand usage as mine is scheduled to arrive Tuesday..
    terminatorx likes this.
    05-07-17 11:34 AM
    I would say 24h isn't long enough to judge a device one way or the other... many likes and issues with a device come after daily use over several days... to me, physical kb is more accurate but slower... also, I remember the bruises at the tip of my thumbs due to the extra pressure... now, if Android isn't your cup of coffee then you have a bigger issue than the device itself... give it a try longer and see what way you lean to... good luck!

I've had the K1 for 24 hours and I have to say I'm totally conflicted on whether or not I want to keep it.

- I just can't get on board with Android. I appreciate you can customise it and make it as you wish but I just want it to work.
    - I'm struggling with the keyboard. I didn't realise how used to typing on a VKB I am, and how much I will actually use one handed typing at times. The keyboard itself is brilliant, it's easy to use, the keys feel nice but it feels slow.

Just to add I have experienced no software or performance issues at all. It seems to just work and that's all you need.
    05-07-17 11:34 AM
    Give it least a week for the keyboard--don't judge it and reject it in the first 24 hours. It really does need some constant usage to get used to. I am sure you realize this, however. If after a week or 10 days you still are having problems, you can return it. I think that you may find it a bit slower but if typing accurate emails or texts is important to you, you will like it eventually. Good luck, anyway, whichever way it goes!
    05-07-17 11:45 AM

1. Android is not for everyone.. I actually prefer Windows phones but they are pretty much dead. iOS is fine if that's what you prefer, nothing wrong with that,

2. Is this your 1st PKB? If so it will take a while to adjust. If you've had a BB or something like a Palm Treo previously then you will readjust quickly.

As others have said, give it a week to 10-days before deciding and good luck with whatever you decide.
    05-07-17 11:49 AM

C'mon man.... Looking through your post history, it's 99,9% negativity... To each their own but you are not fooling me..
    Yes, I checked that too.

Posted via CB10
    raqball likes this.
    05-07-17 11:50 AM
    Hi all, thanks for the (general) support. I am posting this here as this forum isnt only frequented by people with blind faith.

My reactions to the device are based on using lots of devices and not thinking that a PKB trumps all other aspects - especially for a £500 device. It's entirely possible that someone reading this will sacrifice some other aspects of the device in order to have a PKB - which is fine. If that's you, be happy. It's not a bad device at all - in fact it's actually quite decent but it doesn't exist in a vacuum. If you get time go and try a Pixel or a One Plus 3T or a Moto Z Play of even the latest Moto G with 3GB ram and tell me how the KeyOne performs.

As for a few people incorrectly stating that all reviews have been positive... Really? I'd say this device got a very good set of reviews but there are lots which point out very valid issues. A few podcasts have mentioned that the performance was dreadful before the launch patch. If that's true... What has CBK been using all this time since MWC? I love the guy's passion but......
    Thanks again for your post,and coming back for more even after the rabid die hards have tried to shoot you down,ive used both android and ios as well as bb10 and only from my own personal use android is fast until you start to put your own apps etc on it then it crawls and crashes,bb10 and ios are the by far the fastest and most fluent os ive ever used,and no I'm not a ios fanboy I just use a phone for its merits.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-07-17 12:33 PM
    OP, thanks for your opinion! Much appreciated! It's really childish and annoying how a lot of comments from fanboys in this forum sounds, sorry!

I've used iOS, WebOS, BlackBerry OS 10 and android. All four have they goods and bads, but android is the far most inconsistent OS in daily usage. It's great to customize and I love all the possibilities but if someone want to just use a phone without the must to clear cash, free ram....it's just crap!

As for the K1, I will get it...I hope on May 10. but I know for sure, the performance will sure not be topnotch. But hey, it's a really good looking device and I love pkb and hope it will perform at least half that good as my passport (wich is the first phone, I really love LOL)!
    Btw, a lot of reviews mention the lags and bugs.

As for CBK, really sorry to say that, but he is not at all a neutral reviewer in my eyes. How should he...sponsored by Blackberry mobile?!? Sorry for that once again, really no offense intended. Just my opinion.

BB Passport 10.3.3.1463/ OnePlus 2
    05-07-17 01:10 PM
    Have no reason to doubt OP, as most reviews mentioned poor performance, and state this phone isn't for everyone.

I hope they are able to optimize and improve the software. At least way better then the Priv is my hope.
    05-07-17 01:25 PM
    Have no reason to doubt OP, as most reviews mentioned poor performance, and state this phone isn't for everyone.

I hope they are able to optimize and improve the software. At least way better then the Priv is my hope.
    Every reviewer had pre production devices and missed out on the recent software update.
    05-07-17 01:27 PM
    Every reviewer had pre production devices and missed out on the recent software update.
    Okay, and that was stupid of BBMobile, and hopefully the software update improves things. From my Priv experience, it never did, But as I said, I am hopeful.
    05-07-17 01:29 PM
    Most reviews are about KeyOne and itself- against itself, so it gives the impression of a glowingly positive review. For example, most of them imply that having such specs (625) is forgivable since the phone was meant for business stuff and not for media consumption and gaming and at the same time save battery life. But did they elaborate on how it actually performs in other tasks? Nope. It sounded like they're apologizing for the phone since its the only one that has a PKB and the intended market was the business-types anyway.
    05-07-17 01:33 PM
    24 hours is much too short of a time to get a rounded impression of a phone. This isn't even one full battery cycle. It takes a few of days at least. Realistically, the first day, no matter what phone it is, it takes time to get used to a new one even if it is similar to a previous device you have owned. At the same time, apps are being downloaded and updates may be coming in for apps etc. That is why a reviewer has a phone for several days before reviewing it. Also, did OP have the most recent update just released? Even if that is the case, it needs a little time to "settle."
    05-07-17 02:21 PM
    It's nice to see opinions such as these. Some people just prefer seeing positives through tunnel vision and worse attack the person for mentioning anything otherwise.
    These kinds of feedback are actually helpful. It can save a lot of us from. buyer's remorse and at the same time makes the manufacturer aware of legitimate complaints.
    Lastly, do you really want to read about how awesome the battery life is for the nth time? smh
    We want objective reviews. The OP's doesn't seem to be. It's almost pretty obvious that he's just here to say bad things. He's the first one to not have a single good thing to say. Even tech bloggers have mentioned bugs and a few hiccups. Praised the camera as well as many other things. His is just a rant from top to bottom.

He's not a PKB or BB die hard,yet he buys it.
    He's seen the spec sheet and is aware that it's mid range, yet he buys it.
    He's familiar with BlackBerry launches and the hub from his Priv and know how both operate, yet he goes on to buy this without waiting for a proper review to see if it's worth shelling the money for.

Even Mr Mobile regrets doing a review before receiving the software update about a day after cos he mentions on a periscope video that the little bugs have been mended. This OP doesn't say anything that the device handles properly,he says it's just 'OK'...where others feel it's great but only doesn't match up to the flagships. It's an obvious rant IMO aimed at just bashing BlackBerry. He could show us proof by doing his own YouTube review seeing that many would go on there in search of reviews and would find yours. Otherwise, he could sell it to me for half the price

Posted via CB10
    raqball and terminatorx like this.
    05-07-17 02:32 PM
    These types of reviews should be posted more often. I plan on buying the phone, but the rave reviews in here like this phone is the second coming of all Android phones gets a little ridiculous. Yes this is a BlackBerry fan site, but there should be a little more balance in what people say about this phone. I don't have any doubts that there is going to be some stuttering with this phone. The Priv has better internals and still lags even with the updates they have issued to the Hub. Its just going to be something that you either choose to deal with or not.
    Agreed. There should be more balance, but everyone who comes here has to want that, or at the very least, be able to tolerate opinions that differ from theirs. You'll notice that almost immediately, the OP is accused of posting this just to post a negative review, and we've even seen the boilerplate "you must've gotten a bad device" response. I'm not saying his experience will be typical, but why is it so difficult to believe that his experience was genuine?
    BigAl_BB9900, TGR1 and Motass like this.
    05-07-17 02:50 PM
    We want objective reviews. The OP's doesn't seem to be. It's almost pretty obvious that he's just here to say bad things. He's the first one to not have a single good thing to say. Even tech bloggers have mentioned bugs and a few hiccups. Praised the camera as well as many other things. His is just a rant from top to bottom.

He's not a PKB or BB die hard,yet he buys it.
    He's seen the spec sheet and is aware that it's mid range, yet he buys it.
    He's familiar with BlackBerry launches and the hub from his Priv and know how both operate, yet he goes on to buy this without waiting for a proper review to see if it's worth shelling the money for.

Even Mr Mobile regrets doing a review before receiving the software update about a day after cos he mentions on a periscope video that the little bugs have been mended. This OP doesn't say anything that the device handles properly,he says it's just 'OK'...where others feel it's great but only doesn't match up to the flagships. It's an obvious rant IMO aimed at just bashing BlackBerry. He could show us proof by doing his own YouTube review seeing that many would go on there in search of reviews and would find yours. Otherwise, he could sell it to me for half the price

Posted via CB10
    Ok, but this wasn't a review, it were some of his impressions of the phone. And people don't want objectivity in here, they want to hear how great the device is, period. When a negative review is posted its immediately said to be biased. Positive reviews are said to be "objective and fair." There are going to be people who don't like this phone and have issues with it, and their opinion is just as valuable as those who may love it.
    MikeX74, BigAl_BB9900 and TGR1 like this.
    05-07-17 03:06 PM
    Ok, but this wasn't a review, it were some of his impressions of the phone. And people don't want objectivity in here, they want to hear how great the device is, period. When a negative review is posted its immediately said to be biased. Positive reviews are said to be "objective and fair." There are going to be people who don't like this phone and have issues with it, and their opinion is just as valuable as those who may love it.
    Good point....i am for honest reviews/or opinions. If you could look up my history, I'm sure you'll find where and when I bashed on BlackBerry. In this context, impressions are just about the same as a review especially considering his closure in advising anyone before they fall into buying the device. If we consider that he's not overly keen on a BlackBerry, nor on a PKB, coupled with the fact that he's had the Priv which sacked for most android users, it's strange to see why he'd buy the K1 so soon after launch, especially at its cost.

Moreover, his comments indicate that the device isn't even as good as the Moto Z and mid ranged devices, which contradicts what most of not all have said.....it may not be as good as the flagships but to say it's that bad paired up against its mid ranged fellows is questionable based on other reviews.

And if there's a tone of bias in ur judgements on a BlackBerry fan site, you can't expect people to embrace u...as much as I want his opinions to be true, I doubt them more than I believe them. I don't understand why any neutral person would be so excited to shell out £500 for a mid range device, that has a brand he isn't loyal to, that has a KB he's not keen on that he already knows would likely not compete with the top sellers. And he's gone on without a positive thing to say. Hope you understand me....!!!

I use all 3 major OS'es cos I know each has its strengths and weaknesses and know where to expect failures. No brand loyalty, etc. I'd happily give an unbiased opinion about each rather than rant endlessly about shortcomings that I aleady envisaged before release

Posted via CB10
    raqball likes this.
    05-07-17 03:36 PM
    Hi, I am not a professional reviewer and have no desire to be one. I am not here to provide balance or to not annoy a company which sponsors content like a certain person around here.

I actually don't think that what I wrote was very negative... It's a perfectly decent device but having frequented the forum on and off for years (mainly around the Z10 and PRIV launches) I was reminded of how un-objective many posters are and I hope that I what I wrote might be useful to someone thinking of buying a KeyOne whos default position isn't that the device must be perfect.

Personally, I have bought every iPhone since initial launch but I cannot imagine posting comments online about how wonderful it is without EVER trying it first in a real world scenario and I certainly wouldn't make statements about how amazing the performance was if I had literally nothing to compare it with.

Either way, a few have commented on previous posts I have written which I'd guess you could count on 1 hand. I remember about 5 years ago posting my thought after buying a Z10 as a contract upgrade in the UK. The replies were nearly a carbon copy of many here (e.g. "he clearly hasnt bought the device as every reviewer says the internet browser is amazing" etc which really stuck in memory for some reason...).

Anyway, if you think the KeyOne mix of capabilities and pricing is for you... Buy it. If you are on the fence... Read a mix of reviews and try to use the device to get a real sense if it's for you. It's not complicated, there isn't a big conspiracy, it's not a perfect device, it's not for everyone and that's ok.
    BigAl_BB9900 and TGR1 like this.
    05-07-17 03:42 PM

Most reviews mentioned poor performance? Lol. Not from what I've seen.

Posted with my  Classic
    raqball likes this.
    05-07-17 03:56 PM
    I was reminded of how un-objective many posters are

Either way, a few have commented on previous posts I have written which I'd guess you could count on 1 hand.
    Are you serious?

You had the Z10, posted negativity about it and returned it...

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...5/#post7947285

You had the Priv, posted negativity about it and returned it...

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...1#post12109887

The DTEK 60, posted negativity about it in several different threads

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...1#post12646111

Now you say you have the KEYone, posted negativity about it, and are either returning it or selling it.

It appears as though you come when a new BB is released, slam it, then leave until the next one is released..
    Last edited by raqball; 05-07-17 at 04:34 PM.
    ltoncb, Bostil1987, tp2386 and 3 others like this.
    05-07-17 04:10 PM
    How bud?

Even on the PRIV people stated the track pad function on the pkb was "ok", obviously due to the limitations of implementing such a function on android instead of qnx.

I believe the scrolling is hit or miss.

The lag is stated very clearly, even by Michael Fisher who said it was slow compared to the other 625 device, the moto z.

The screen was also stated by others to be on the dimmer side for an LCD.

The speaker is mono.

The camera is average.

Keyboard is great.

Feel in hand is great. And battery life is great.

That's what I got from all the reviews on YouTube.

People on CB running around saying how fast the phone is or how good the camera is really give CB a bad name. They also said the dtek50 was fast and tried to compare the camera with the iPhone.

Even respected members are starting to sound like delusional morons with the hyperbole about the camera when the evidence says and shows otherwise.
    Definitely not true. I must have seen and read at least 15 independent reviews with the complete opposite opinion.

Posted via CB10
    raqball and p1800nut like this.
    05-07-17 04:16 PM
    I think its hard to swallow for many here, it just irks them to have to read a negative post.
    Its a $300 android device in a premium shell. Aside of positives .....
    One point only ...don't dismiss the value of a "premium shell". Many cracked and broken samsungs and iphones, i see all the time. Do you have to purchase two Samsungs for the life of one Blackberry? I know an owner of both a Blackberry Passport and a Samsung...guess whch one broke? Yup the Samsung. The value of the shell only becomes obvious once you have another device that is cracked to pieces.

(Although a 2-day impression? Not a particularly rigorous, therefore credible review...many productivity features won't be discovered in a two day review...especially keyboard shortcuts..i'm faster on a pkb than others are on their vkb (especially when accuracy is counted)
    raqball likes this.
    05-07-17 05:15 PM
    The title of this thread and the first line of the OP contradicts eachother.

Posted Via CB10 from Z30 OS 10.3..3.1463 
    They didn't.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-07-17 05:26 PM
    One point only ...don't dismiss the value of a "premium shell". Many cracked and broken samsungs and iphones, i see all the time. Do you have to purchase two Samsungs for the life of one Blackberry? I know an owner of both a Blackberry Passport and a Samsung...guess whch one broke? Yup the Samsung. The value of the shell only becomes obvious once you have another device that is cracked to pieces.
    My early samsung devices were garbage for sure. Thats why i inded up switching to iphone when the bb apocalypse happened. I still have the i4 as an ipod even now.

Except for the weak sliding backdoors on the bolds, still have them around and they work. Superb devices if you went after the premium bb handsets then.
    05-07-17 05:44 PM
164 12345 ...