Here's a balanced review and it's on a preproduction device

05-07-17 08:11 AM
    The user is posting his own personal experience and no one should be knocking him for it because it is his honest view point. With me I am looking at reviews more about the hardware problems than anything else because on the Android software side of things I turn off or disable stuff that I don't use.
    How do you know it's an honest review?

It's human nature to question something when it's contradictory to the majority of the reviews heard to date
    raqball and newcollector like this.
    05-07-17 08:14 AM

It's human nature to question something when it's contradictory to the majority of the reviews heard to date
    There's nothing wrong wrong with being a blackberry fan I'm one myself but blind fanaticism is very wrong,every time anyone puts a negative review up on here it's like a rabid dog has been let loose,people need to be able to put there point of view across even if it disagrees with the masses, it doesn't matter if you have been a blackberry fan for 10 years or seconds views matter and believe it or not its only a phone!its not your life it's a phone!!and if somebody has a genuine negative review I'm happy enough to read it and not froth at the mouth and reach for the burning torches.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 08:26 AM
    I give reviews like this one zero credibility...

I am all for fair reviews be they positive or negative but when someone has nothing good to say it raises eyebrows...

We have all had phones we didn't like but I assume could still find positive things to say about them. This review is heavily biased and negative which makes me wonder if the phone is really even in hand..

I did not like the iPhone 7 but along with the negatives, it did have things I liked. I do not generally like Samsung phones but again, there are some things on them I like..

This review is terrible and holds absolutely zero credibility in my opinion. Had it been a fair post that listed positives and negatives that would be a different story.

Meh, nothing to see here, moving on..
    Last edited by raqball; 05-07-17 at 08:47 AM.
    Insync, andyk350 and tnewton3 like this.
    05-07-17 08:26 AM
    I doubt you bought the device, friend on mine from the international church bought it in Germany and it's speedy and was good when I was tested it, I also tested the camera but it's weird using it, but pictures where good and I still waiting for the focus

And why if you bought you will think to sell it if you bring it back you gey your money back. Doesn't make sense.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 08:31 AM
    This same thing happened with the Priv. When people posted negative things about it they were jumped on and attacked. Looking back, most people's opinion's of the Priv are mostly negative, because it had so many issues with build quality, heat, poor performance, etc. Any time a new device is released, the people who purchased it want to feel good about their purchase as well as encourage others to make the same decision they did.

I do think that the K1 is going to be a nice phone, but there are always going to be people who post overwhelming false positive reviews, as well as negative reviews. I never listen to reviews anyway, I have to try the phone myself.
    BigAl_BB9900 and Motass like this.
    05-07-17 08:32 AM

How do you know if any review by anyone is honest?

Posted from my  Passport
    05-07-17 08:38 AM
    well I guess the best way to go about negative reviews/feedback is to (1) asses it personally in a store- but that wouldn't give you enough freedom, (2) read all the online reviews from tech sites- assess whether those sites are obviously biased like BGR is for Apple and CB is for BB , (3) buy one from a store which allows returns and experience it yourself. Rallying the mob with your pitchforks against the "heretics" is pointless.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-07-17 08:44 AM
    Can you swype with the blackberry keyboard? I mean like you can do with a virtual keyboard like SwiftKey?
    Also one more question about the speed. I currently have a Samsung note 4. How does blackberry compares to my note as far as speed is concerned? I don't need the latest processor and i m happy with my note's speed. If blackberry keyone is the same I d be happy.
    05-07-17 08:47 AM

Lol you don't. I love CBK, but people were clamoring for his review in here like it was going to be anything other than glowing and spectacular. Kevin has never give a BB device a bad review, although some of them out of the gate deserved to be trashed (PlayBook and Z10 for sure, and Priv in my opinion). And yet many in here were desperate to get his review on the K1 almost as a way to convince themselves to buy the phone, when everyone knows that it's going to be reviewed as a superb device. Again, that's expected, but many treat CBK's reviews as honest and unbiased, but come on, everyone knows it's as biased as it gets and that any issues the K1 has are going to either be not mentioned, or glossed over as very minor.
    anon(9710735) likes this.
    05-07-17 08:52 AM

I take the reviewer at his word, as I don't feel to need to question it. Everyone has a different configuration on their phone and thus people are going to have an different experience based on their software setup.
    BigAl_BB9900 and newcollector like this.
    05-07-17 09:01 AM
    There's nothing wrong wrong with being a blackberry fan I'm one myself but blind fanaticism is very wrong,every time anyone puts a negative review up on here it's like a rabid dog has been let loose,people need to be able to put there point of view across even if it disagrees with the masses, it doesn't matter if you have been a blackberry fan for 10 years or seconds views matter and believe it or not its only a phone!its not your life it's a phone!!and if somebody has a genuine negative review happy enough to read it and not froth at the mouth and reach for the burning torches.

Posted via CB10
    It has nothing to do about fanboyism when it contradicts 90% of the other reviews therefore it is not unusual to question the opinion and the motive
    newcollector likes this.
    05-07-17 09:02 AM
    I tried the KEYone a couple times last night at the Vancouver meetup and the consensus seemed to be that the responsiveness was very good.

The issue with swiping up to select words is that you have to do it on the keyboard below the words, not above the keyboard where they appear, although you can display more choices by tapping on the word.
    05-07-17 09:07 AM
    1st impressions after 2 days. I have lots of Android/ios devices and have owned a Z10, Q10 and PRIV in recent years.

Slow. This is a mid range device and feels like it. During setup the lag was insane. Afterwards it's just a normal stuttering android experience circa 2015. The software update was applied soon after initial setup. Normally performance is just about "OK" but every so often it all stops for a few seconds. This isn't ideal at all and is miles off the experience on my Moto Z and my Pixel. It's not unusable nor is it terrible but don't kid yourself that this feels like a high end Android. It doesn't at all.

Keyboard. Hard to say much here. I owned a Pearl and a PRIV. I'm much slower on physical than virtual and 1 handled use is impossible with this thing. YMMV. Scrolling etc is OK in some apps and stutters in others. I also frequently hit the capacative home key which is too close to top of the keyboard. And the auto-correct suggestions are crazy.... Why does it sometimes insert a different word to the one I select?

Screen. Not great. Washed out look and slight blur when scrolling. Better screens don't do this. Most apps work/look fine on this resolution though.

Software. Hate the launcher and the Hub. Rest is fine.

Value for money. Really hard to be objective here and I assume that only die hard keyboard fans would consider this BUT it has barely OK performance now... I cannot imagine how this will perform in 2 years? For the money it should have better specs than this especially with the heavy BB apps and services that run.

I'm returning or selling mine. It's quite simply not a very good Android device. There are far better options if the keyboard isn't your primary concern. I shouldn't have bought it and I should have realized that before buying but maybe this post will be useful to someone else.
    This 'review' is inconsistent with virtually every professional review out there and virtually all user-experience posts. That's a red flag.

Posted via CB10
    phuoc and raqball like this.
    05-07-17 09:10 AM

Thats a silly comment, there are hundreds of tech reviewers and the majority are credible.
    05-07-17 09:12 AM
    It has nothing to do about fanboyism when it contradicts 90% of the other reviews therefore it is not unusual to question the opinion and the motive
    Options if you agree with them or not,if you think there based on blackberry hate or fan based are welcome,it gives an honest review for people who are thinking of buying one,and let's be honest if blackberry are in so much trouble that any & all negative reviews should be buried or shouted down then the company as a whole is beyond saving.

Posted via CB10
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-07-17 09:13 AM
    All these reviews, i want my hands on one already!!!!

Now if TCL wants bb branded devices to be used as main phones, they need to give us a high end device. My 7 plus has superb battery life for performance with constant use of video streaming in car radio, work and personal media uses like facetime and it lasts through the day into the night so the argument for a low crate cpu to improve battery is BS' android is just a drain on resources and good os programming might fix that?
    05-07-17 09:17 AM
    This 'review' is inconsistent with virtually every professional review out there and virtually all user-experience posts. That's a red flag.

Posted via CB10
    How bud?

Even on the PRIV people stated the track pad function on the pkb was "ok", obviously due to the limitations of implementing such a function on android instead of qnx.

I believe the scrolling is hit or miss.

The lag is stated very clearly, even by Michael Fisher who said it was slow compared to the other 625 device, the moto z.

The screen was also stated by others to be on the dimmer side for an LCD.

The speaker is mono.

The camera is average.

Keyboard is great.

Feel in hand is great. And battery life is great.

That's what I got from all the reviews on YouTube.

People on CB running around saying how fast the phone is or how good the camera is really give CB a bad name. They also said the dtek50 was fast and tried to compare the camera with the iPhone.

Even respected members are starting to sound like delusional morons with the hyperbole about the camera when the evidence says and shows otherwise.
    05-07-17 09:20 AM
    I tried the KEYone a couple times last night at the Vancouver meetup and the consensus seemed to be that the responsiveness was very good.

The issue with swiping up to select words is that you have to do it on the keyboard below the words, not above the keyboard where they appear, although you can display more choices by tapping on the word.
    Same impression.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 09:21 AM
    Lol you don't. I love CBK, but people were clamoring for his review in here like it was going to be anything other than glowing and spectacular. Kevin has never give a BB device a bad review, although some of them out of the gate deserved to be trashed (PlayBook and Z10 for sure, and Priv in my opinion). And yet many in here were desperate to get his review on the K1 almost as a way to convince themselves to buy the phone, when everyone knows that it's going to be reviewed as a superb device. Again, that's expected, but many treat CBK's reviews as honest and unbiased, but come on, everyone knows it's as biased as it gets and that any issues the K1 has are going to either be not mentioned, or glossed over as very minor.
    I don't know if you are honest there but I biasedly choose to believe that you are

The trick in doing a good/positive review, which I believe CBK has been using to make his reviews, is to talk about the device itself with no or minimum comparison to any other thing, unless it is better.

05-07-17 09:23 AM
    ^ CBK will also never mention that this device is average in the mid range pack. PKB aside and the build wow factor...its nothing special which is why the superb reviews and defence of k1 on this forum and CB video postings confuse the heck out of others and myself, when majority point out issues such as display, performance, speakers and buggy bb software.

And the fact that i cant see for myself for the next freaking month or more and maybe will have to do a blind purchase...unless cbk does another tour in FL with a retail device not a pre prod.
    05-07-17 09:46 AM
    How bud?

Even on the PRIV people stated the track pad function on the pkb was "ok", obviously due to the limitations of implementing such a function on android instead of qnx.

I believe the scrolling is hit or miss.

The lag is stated very clearly, even by Michael Fisher who said it was slow compared to the other 625 device, the moto z.

The screen was also stated by others to be on the dimmer side for an LCD.

The speaker is mono.

The camera is average.

Keyboard is great.

Feel in hand is great. And battery life is great.

That's what I got from all the reviews on YouTube.

People on CB running around saying how fast the phone is or how good the camera is really give CB a bad name. They also said the dtek50 was fast and tried to compare the camera with the iPhone.

Even respected members are starting to sound like delusional morons with the hyperbole about the camera when the evidence says and shows otherwise.
    Have you had a 'hands on' with the phone? I didn't notice any lag, in fact, it seemed very responsive.

But then I'm coming from a Passport and can only compare that and my wife's iphone, and older devices.

I am always a bit suspect of quick camera judgments. You have to know how to use the phone as a camera and understand the software just a little.

Stereo or mono speakers on a phone where you have two inches of separation, and aren't pressing the phone against your nose, means very little. We have bluetooth if you want any reasonable quality.

Saw the screen, it seemed very good, compared to the variety of other devices at the Meetup. No one had negatives on the screen.

Posted via CB10
    05-07-17 09:51 AM
    Thank you for posting this, it's one more opinion I've read that really makes me glad I didn't fall for the BlackBerry Android. Since you've already used Android phones, I think you'd have a pretty good handle even in two days as to how this android works - so thanks!

1st impressions after 2 days. I have lots of Android/ios devices and have owned a Z10, Q10 and PRIV in recent years.

Slow. This is a mid range device and feels like it. During setup the lag was insane. Afterwards it's just a normal stuttering android experience circa 2015. The software update was applied soon after initial setup. Normally performance is just about "OK" but every so often it all stops for a few seconds. This isn't ideal at all and is miles off the experience on my Moto Z and my Pixel. It's not unusable nor is it terrible but don't kid yourself that this feels like a high end Android. It doesn't at all.

Keyboard. Hard to say much here. I owned a Pearl and a PRIV. I'm much slower on physical than virtual and 1 handled use is impossible with this thing. YMMV. Scrolling etc is OK in some apps and stutters in others. I also frequently hit the capacative home key which is too close to top of the keyboard. And the auto-correct suggestions are crazy.... Why does it sometimes insert a different word to the one I select?

Screen. Not great. Washed out look and slight blur when scrolling. Better screens don't do this. Most apps work/look fine on this resolution though.

Software. Hate the launcher and the Hub. Rest is fine.

Value for money. Really hard to be objective here and I assume that only die hard keyboard fans would consider this BUT it has barely OK performance now... I cannot imagine how this will perform in 2 years? For the money it should have better specs than this especially with the heavy BB apps and services that run.

I'm returning or selling mine. It's quite simply not a very good Android device. There are far better options if the keyboard isn't your primary concern. I shouldn't have bought it and I should have realized that before buying but maybe this post will be useful to someone else.

Posted via CB10
    TGR1 likes this.
    05-07-17 09:54 AM
    This is EXACTLY how i feel about the Priv. This is why i was holding off on K1 until the Priv got N and i could see whether or not BB finally got it together, but i feel like i don't have to bother.
    i'm dumping the Priv. First device i've ever owned that i truly hate.
    05-07-17 10:05 AM
    People starting that "I've had a hands on the phone and didn't notice any lag" aren't getting a true depiction of the device. Whether or not it lags out of the box isn't the question. Most Android phones straight out of the box work great. It's when you start downloading apps and taxing the CPU when lag can come into effect. Out of the box means nothing. How the device performs a few weeks down the road with tons of stuff loaded on it is how a device should be measured.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    05-07-17 10:10 AM
164 1234 ...