The following is a summary of actions I had to take in order to boost the performance of the phone, mixed with some apps and tweaks that contribute to a nicer experience using this phone.

- Install Nova Launcher.

This will give you mostly aesthetic flexibility but also kind of a smoother performance. However, the most important feature of this launcher is in the following advice.

- Install Sesame shortcuts

Excellent and customizable search function fully integrated with Nova and with the BB Keyboard. Forget about BlackBerry Device Search. Disable it and bury it into the ground.
    Once installed, don't forget to go to Nova settings and select search provider: Nova. No lag, no delay in typing, no skipped letters, auto erase last search, all features default device search was missing or was halfway.

- Shortcuts? By changing launcher you will lose shortcuts. However, the above search provider is worth the change. If you still want shortcuts you can try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...p.shortcutkeys

or

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...dcoletto.fastk

or

"my" method which just uses a button mapper app. I recommend this one:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...uttonsremapper

I just use the combine function to use the SHIFT button in combination with any letter, which will take me to a predefined app. What do I miss by losing SHIFT? Well, capitals? Which can be achieved anyway by long pressing any letter.

In case you see a delay between hitting a shortcut and the app actually opening then try to add a shortcut with these details: Button HOME. Action OPEN APP >> NOVA LAUNCHER.

- Install everywhere launcher

(It's NOT a launcher, the developer should change the name) This is a tremendous app. You can create pages that combine widgets, shortcuts, apps and call them with gestures. However, don't forget we have a keyboard! So, for example, with a keyboard shortcut I call a page that has a calendar widget and a weather widget combined. I also have a page with all my internet bookmarks easily called, again, with a keyboard shortcut.

- Install Light Manager

Default led management is sh*t. I hate blinking. The function of the led is to with a quick glance, know if you are missing something. So, with the predefined blink frequency, you have to stare for a couple of seconds to actually see if there's a blink or nothing (I mean the gap between the light and no light) If anyone could manage to speed up led frequency please let me know. In the meantime, I use this app set to "no frequency". This means that if a message arrives, I am sure I will not miss it since the led will be constantly ON until I dismiss the notification.

- Install Mute

Ever wanted a mute switch like the iPhone's? Well, that's not gonna happen but, it can come close. With button mapper, I have set that a long press of the convenience button will trigger this app. Also, I've told "Light Manager" to trigger a red light when the phone is silent. Result? A quick way to put my phone on silence by quickly pressing a button, and you know what's best? I can even do this with the screen off! The red light will make me stay relaxed since I am 100% sure that my phone is muted and that I'll be able to assist to a theater play carrying my phone and know that no sound will pop up.

- Install Native Gallery app
    Well, actually I uninstalled it because it lagged, but you may want to check it out. It's the gallery app that TCL made for the chinese version. It supports keyboard zooming!

Some other suggestions:

- Disable or reduce animations in developer options.
    - Disable event log in DTEK settings.
    - Three finger swipe down anywhere on the screen opens privacy app. Well, you should already know this and it's not actually a tweak.
    - I use button remapper to shift+volume up to rise screen brightness and shift+volume down to reduce it. Be aware that this disables automatic brightness adjustment (it's sh*t anyways).

Well, yes, the phone performance actually sucks. It's a midrange phone with poor specs and a slapped keyboard. But hey! The above steps make it a little more enjoyable (when it's not lagging).

This is my contribution to the forum after one year of usage. Hope you like it!
    FF22, BlueOhSix, gouger05 and 4 others like this.
    09-30-18 07:30 PM
    The following is a summary of actions I had to take in order to boost the performance of the phone, mixed with some apps and tweaks that contribute to a nicer experience using this phone.

- Install Nova Launcher.

This will give you mostly aesthetic flexibility but also kind of a smoother performance. However, the most important feature of this launcher is in the following advice.

Excellent and customizable search function fully integrated with Nova and with the BB Keyboard. Forget about BlackBerry Device Search. Disable it and bury it into the ground.
    Once installed, don't forget to go to Nova settings and select search provider: Nova. No lag, no delay in typing, no skipped letters, auto erase last search, all features default device search was missing or was halfway.

- Shortcuts? By changing launcher you will lose shortcuts. However, the above search provider is worth the change. If you still want shortcuts you can try:

or

or

I just use the combine function to use the SHIFT button in combination with any letter, which will take me to a predefined app. What do I miss by losing SHIFT? Well, capitals? Which can be achieved anyway by long pressing any letter.

In case you see a delay between hitting a shortcut and the app actually opening then try to add a shortcut with these details: Button HOME. Action OPEN APP >> NOVA LAUNCHER.

(It's NOT a launcher, the developer should change the name) This is a tremendous app. You can create pages that combine widgets, shortcuts, apps and call them with gestures. However, don't forget we have a keyboard! So, for example, with a keyboard shortcut I call a page that has a calendar widget and a weather widget combined. I also have a page with all my internet bookmarks easily called, again, with a keyboard shortcut.

- Install Light Manager

Default led management is sh*t. I hate blinking. The function of the led is to with a quick glance, know if you are missing something. So, with the predefined blink frequency, you have to stare for a couple of seconds to actually see if there's a blink or nothing (I mean the gap between the light and no light) If anyone could manage to speed up led frequency please let me know. In the meantime, I use this app set to "no frequency". This means that if a message arrives, I am sure I will not miss it since the led will be constantly ON until I dismiss the notification.

- Install Mute

Ever wanted a mute switch like the iPhone's? Well, that's not gonna happen but, it can come close. With button mapper, I have set that a long press of the convenience button will trigger this app. Also, I've told "Light Manager" to trigger a red light when the phone is silent. Result? A quick way to put my phone on silence by quickly pressing a button, and you know what's best? I can even do this with the screen off! The red light will make me stay relaxed since I am 100% sure that my phone is muted and that I'll be able to assist to a theater play carrying my phone and know that no sound will pop up.

Well, actually I uninstalled it because it lagged, but you may want to check it out. It's the gallery app that TCL made for the chinese version. It supports keyboard zooming!

Some other suggestions:

- Three finger swipe down anywhere on the screen opens privacy app. Well, you should already know this and it's not actually a tweak.
    - I use button remapper to shift+volume up to rise screen brightness and shift+volume down to reduce it. Be aware that this disables automatic brightness adjustment (it's sh*t anyways).

Well, yes, the phone performance actually sucks. It's a midrange phone with poor specs and a slapped keyboard. But hey! The above steps make it a little more enjoyable (when it's not lagging).

First, thank you for this very good post. Do you have any issues with the blackberry launcher? Just ask...
    09-30-18 09:57 PM
    all of the shortcut apps don't work very well. i prefer the original
    09-30-18 11:38 PM
    I'd start by replacing the busted volume button on your phone ;-) lol
    10-01-18 12:55 AM

- Install Nova Launcher.

or

or

- Install Light Manager

- Install Mute

Some other suggestions:

Awesome!
    FF22 likes this.
    10-01-18 01:03 AM
    First, thank you for this very good post. Do you have any issues with the blackberry launcher? Just ask...
    No specific issues. It's just that when I bought it I couldn't stand lag. So I started experiencing and one of the things I tried was changing launcher. Never looked back since (specifically because of Sesame awesome search)
    10-01-18 03:03 PM
    all of the shortcut apps don't work very well. i prefer the original
    Well, button remapper is not a shortcut app. It's just your best friend for a keyboard smartphone. It's ok if you prefer simple shortcuts. For me it's the same but with SHIFT pressed.
    10-01-18 03:05 PM
    I'd start by replacing the busted volume button on your phone ;-) lol
    Fingers crossed for receiving it asap!
    10-01-18 03:06 PM
    Fingers crossed for receiving it asap!
    It will be in the mail tonight.
    10-01-18 03:10 PM
    Mute app + notification light app is a great idea.

Thanks. Installing now.
    10-02-18 03:05 PM
    Actually Buttons Remapper Pro has a shortcut for Do Not Disturb assignable. It cycles through silent, vibrate, and normal. So I skipped the Mute App but I did assign the red light to Silent and Vibrate status with Light Manager Pro.
    10-02-18 03:12 PM
    Actually Buttons Remapper Pro has a shortcut for Do Not Disturb assignable. It cycles through silent, vibrate, and normal. So I skipped the Mute App but I did assign the red light to Silent and Vibrate status with Light Manager Pro.
    As you said that's a 3 state action. I only need sound/silence. Also, Mute app will completely silence your phone, you can even play videos 100% sound free. I don't think any of those 3 modes does that.
    10-02-18 07:27 PM